Week 7 Valley (4-2) at Waverly (5-0)

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Week 7 Valley (4-2) at Waverly (5-0)

Post by Crab's Brother »

Valley will be up against it this week. Waverly has the horses right now.

The main thing I want to see out of the Indians is just the willingness to compete. Play each play as a separate game. I thought against Portsmouth they competed their rear ends off until they just ran out of gas. Against Piketon, they played so hard offensively, but lacked effort and desire on the defensive side.

The next three weeks Valley will be underdogs. But if they come out and play as hard as they can, they will compete and they will go into the Minford game and possibly the playoffs feeling pretty good about where they are.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Baseball_Dad wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:22 am They lost a linebacker/WR a few weeks ago, and I saw one of their linemen go down early vs. Oak Hill. They've played a handful of freshmen recently too. It looked like Valley had about 20-23 kids dressed last week and maybe played 14-15 of them until the game was in control.
Only playing 14-15 kids may not bode well against Waverly who will play at an extremely fast pace….

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

wonderbread wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:13 pm I AGREE WITH SMURRAY WAVERLY IS THE QUICKEST TEAM AROUND THGIS AREA PLAYING ONLY 14 KIDS IS GOING TO BE REALLY EMBARRASING AND COULD GET SOMEONE HURT VALLY HONESTLY SHOULD JUST CANCEL THIS GAMER
Embarrassing is your use of punctuation.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:09 pm
Baseball_Dad wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:22 am They lost a linebacker/WR a few weeks ago, and I saw one of their linemen go down early vs. Oak Hill. They've played a handful of freshmen recently too. It looked like Valley had about 20-23 kids dressed last week and maybe played 14-15 of them until the game was in control.
Only playing 14-15 kids may not bode well against Waverly who will play at an extremely fast pace….
Well, Waverly is an undefeated division 4 team and reigning conference champion. Valley is a bottom end division 6 team... I would say a lot of things don't bode well for Valley. But, this team has absolutely competed each week. As Crab said, they ran out of gas vs Portsmouth after holding them scoreless for a half. Against Piketon, who also plays fast, they couldn't get stops but they moved the ball all night long. There is no doubt Waverly is the favored team. They have depth, speed, skill, etc... but Valley isn't a bad football team especially when you factor in their numbers.

Put_me_in_coach
Waterboy

Post by Put_me_in_coach »

I think Waverly has about a hundred more boys in their school than Valley. That makes a huge difference. Valley’s enrollment numbers are low and that shows on their team sizes. They probably should be in SOC 1 according to size. They beat the reigning SOC 1 champs Northwest twice. They got thumped by Waverly last year and went on to win two playoff games. All their kids play on both sides and that is tough especially when playing against fast teams like Waverly. Pulling for the underdog.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Last OHSSA count 2/19/19 Waverly 242 (C.B. 247) Valley 116. (C.B. 126) The state is still using the old numbers for the division assignments.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I expect valley to drop to d7 when they do the next count unless they get some transfers

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Any theory on why the dropping numbers at Valley?

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Realistically would valley ever drop to the SOC I? I know everyone has been waiting on northwest to go back up to SOC II

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

FIDO wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:16 pm Any theory on why the dropping numbers at Valley?
Lucasville is a aging community I think most younger people who have kids are moving away.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Izladoom wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:28 pm
FIDO wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:16 pm Any theory on why the dropping numbers at Valley?
Lucasville is a aging community I think most younger people who have kids are moving away.

I agree the entire area is aging and young families are moving out of the entire area of Southern Ohio. A few area schools are attracting families to move in to their respective districts, but usually the new family is coming from another Southern Ohio community. Lucasville is further hampered by the lack of available housing for new families. I would estimate that the age of Lucasville empty nesters is on the average younger than many area school districts thus the housing is still occupied as the residents have not downsized or moved on.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Kicker. wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:19 pm Realistically would valley ever drop to the SOC I? I know everyone has been waiting on northwest to go back up to SOC II
I dont know that Valley would want to go back down, but if the numbers stay this way, you're going to struggle to compete with the 3 W's every year, essentially going into a new season knowing you're gonna likely have 3 L's, which makes that margin for error smaller from a playoff standpoint, so a move back down would make sense for the program.

Valley has a great community, wonderful facilities, and outstanding people that support the kids, but as most said you have outside factors that sway players, and you have a community where not a lot of housing comes available. I know Valley has some talent coming up in all sports, but again...if the numbers arent there you want to be on a level playing field with your opponents.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

coop wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:46 pm
Kicker. wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:19 pm Realistically would valley ever drop to the SOC I? I know everyone has been waiting on northwest to go back up to SOC II
I dont know that Valley would want to go back down, but if the numbers stay this way, you're going to struggle to compete with the 3 W's every year, essentially going into a new season knowing you're gonna likely have 3 L's, which makes that margin for error smaller from a playoff standpoint, so a move back down would make sense for the program.

Valley has a great community, wonderful facilities, and outstanding people that support the kids, but as most said you have outside factors that sway players, and you have a community where not a lot of housing comes available. I know Valley has some talent coming up in all sports, but again...if the numbers arent there you want to be on a level playing field with your opponents.
I was wondering what the future numbers looked like for them. I have a lot of respect for their program, facilities are great too, and what they’ve done on the field over the years. and I know for sure they’d probably like to stay playing better competition hopefully they get their numbers up and can stay would hate to seen them move down

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm
coop wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:46 pm

I was wondering what the future numbers looked like for them. I have a lot of respect for their program, facilities are great too, and what they’ve done on the field over the years. and I know for sure they’d probably like to stay playing better competition hopefully they get their numbers up and can stay would hate to seen them move down
Agreed! They have a great program in place, a great staff, and they care about those kinds. That staff is full of Valley guys, and they care about the kids, community and program. I do hope the numbers improve, but that team is always prepared to play HARD no matter the competition.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

I'd like to see Waverly step up and play Jackson every year.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:14 pm I'd like to see Waverly step up and play Jackson every year.
They use to play every now and then and had games with Wellston too. I think Jackson had beaten Waverly a few more time than Waverly had beaten them. I believe they have a winning record against Wellston. Waverly was in the SEOAL after leaving the SOC for a number of years, but Waverly had teams back then that weren't very good....losing records for 13 years I recall. But the conference only contributed a little to that. The SOC didn't have divisions then, but I don't think Waverly would have competed very well in it either during that time.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Gameday in Waverly
I’ll take the tigers 48-13

Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

old benchwarmer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:13 am
Wellston Ironman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:14 pm I'd like to see Waverly step up and play Jackson every year.
They use to play every now and then and had games with Wellston too. I think Jackson had beaten Waverly a few more time than Waverly had beaten them. I believe they have a winning record against Wellston. Waverly was in the SEOAL after leaving the SOC for a number of years, but Waverly had teams back then that weren't very good....losing records for 13 years I recall. But the conference only contributed a little to that. The SOC didn't have divisions then, but I don't think Waverly would have competed very well in it either during that time.
It was a competitive series during the Ed Bolin era.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Seneca wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:35 pm
old benchwarmer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:13 am
It was a competitive series during the Ed Bolin era.
Ed is the one who got Waverly out of those losing seasons when he arrived in the 80s....and yes they did have some good games with Jackson back then. He was a great coach. However, before those losing seasons started in early 70s, Waverly faired well in the games as well. From 1962 through 1969, Waverly was 5-2-1 against Jackson.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

It would be nice to see all the traditional heavyweights down here play each other every year.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Football”