Marietta High Football 2023

westbrook2009
Waterboy

Re: Marietta High Football 2023

Post by westbrook2009 »

Happy Memorial Day everyone. Appreciate the service of any ex and current military personnel more than they know.

Wishing the Tigers the best. Coach Jason Schob is and always has been a class act. It takes a lot more than coaches to build something of merit, they just end up taking all the blame. Tough spot to be in. I know Jason’s intentions, love of the game, and knowledge are there to accomplish what I know to be the most important things in sports at that level —

-Creating a supportive environment especially if children don’t have that at home
-Encouraging children to take risks, learn and bounce back from adversity and setbacks
-Teach teamwork and sacrifice for a common goal
-Inspire
-Creating a sense of community

I hope the community can rally behind him and all other coaches at Marietta. The lessons from sports are invaluable, no matter which field they take. Really pains me to see how numbers of players joining, across all ages, has dropped… more than the record or lack of success.

This program, city, and school are always in my thoughts. Wishing you all the best from afar.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

Tigers are sitting at 3-4 this year. Playing a bad Meigs team this Friday that should put them at 4-4 with Point Pleasant and Warren to finish out the regular season. Could go 6-4 or 4-6 or 5-5. Playoffs looking good. Certainly better than last year from what I understand. What will Marietta have returning next year ? Understanding they will have a decent amount coming back but do not know for sure. Am really hoping with a more manageable schedule and a taste of winning means that brighter days are ahead.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

They will lose a couple linemen (but not their best ones), their best WR, and their two best RB's. QB will be back. My only real concern will be at the wing/running back positions - but they should have guys who can produce there.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Marietta is pretty much a lock for the playoffs regardless of how they finish the season, but going in (6-4) will have a completely different feel than going in (4-6) or (3-7) if God forbid, we somehow lose to Meigs. The Tigers need to bounce back in a big way this Friday because the last six quarters of football have been awful. Blew a 2 TD lead in the second half to Williamstown and lost our QB to injury in the process. Follow that up with a shutout loss to 1-win Logan and things aren’t looking that great. Don’t want to sound too pessimistic though because there is still a huge opportunity ahead of this team. First winning season since 2002 would be a great accomplishment for the program.

Looking ahead, I know MHS will have talent returning next year, but the losses to graduation we do have are going to leave huge holes to fill. Only one combined 7th and 8th grade junior high team is a bit concerning as well, especially with only one win so far on the season.

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

So we are in the playoffs win or lose?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:50 pm Marietta is pretty much a lock for the playoffs regardless of how they finish the season, but going in (6-4) will have a completely different feel than going in (4-6) or (3-7) if God forbid, we somehow lose to Meigs. The Tigers need to bounce back in a big way this Friday because the last six quarters of football have been awful. Blew a 2 TD lead in the second half to Williamstown and lost our QB to injury in the process. Follow that up with a shutout loss to 1-win Logan and things aren’t looking that great. Don’t want to sound too pessimistic though because there is still a huge opportunity ahead of this team. First winning season since 2002 would be a great accomplishment for the program.

Looking ahead, I know MHS will have talent returning next year, but the losses to graduation we do have are going to leave huge holes to fill. Only one combined 7th and 8th grade junior high team is a bit concerning as well, especially with only one win so far on the season.
Yea Fort Frye Jr high is loaded and put it on them.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:50 pm Marietta is pretty much a lock for the playoffs regardless of how they finish the season, but going in (6-4) will have a completely different feel than going in (4-6) or (3-7) if God forbid, we somehow lose to Meigs. The Tigers need to bounce back in a big way this Friday because the last six quarters of football have been awful. Blew a 2 TD lead in the second half to Williamstown and lost our QB to injury in the process. Follow that up with a shutout loss to 1-win Logan and things aren’t looking that great. Don’t want to sound too pessimistic though because there is still a huge opportunity ahead of this team. First winning season since 2002 would be a great accomplishment for the program.

Being a 14 seed or higher could net them a game against a team like Bishop Watterson, London or Bloom Carroll. That would be ugly.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatone wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:19 pm

Being a 14 seed or higher could net them a game against a team like Bishop Watterson, London or Bloom Carroll. That would be ugly.
Just making the playoffs can be a program builder.

Wildcatone
Riding the Bench

Post by Wildcatone »

EasternDspy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:20 pm

I would agree when 8 teams per region made it but at 16 teams ? I don't know. I'm just not sure if this program can take off until they get new facilities and their own stadium which is years away. They have to get the kids to want to play for the program. Of course with participation down the last 10 years or so, it's an issue at most programs. I like the fact that Coach Schob has been there awhile which provides some stability.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatone wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:28 pm

I would agree when 8 teams per region made it but at 16 teams ? I don't know. I'm just not sure if this program can take off until they get new facilities and their own stadium which is years away. They have to get the kids to want to play for the program. Of course with participation down the last 10 years or so, it's an issue at most programs. I like the fact that Coach Schob has been there awhile which provides some stability.

Let kids play and get the taste of the playoffs. Hopefully this will get school more involved and more kids decide to play. Marietta
Is pretty young.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

MttaFan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:01 pm So we are in the playoffs win or lose?
Yes, I believe so. A win against Meigs would essentially clinch a spot. Even at (3-7), Drew Pasteur Fantastic 50 has them at a 92% shot to make it in.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

How these last three regular season games go will determine how big of a "program builder" a playoff appearance will be. Going in with a winning record would be an accomplishment and this season would be considered a success. Limping in with 3 or 4 wins would be a disappointment, not really something to build on. Regardless of how the Tigers finish the season, they will have their hands full in week 11 to say the least. Out of all the possible first round matchups, I would like to see a MHS-Jackson matchup.

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:07 pm
MttaFan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:01 pm So we are in the playoffs win or lose?
Yes, I believe so. A win against Meigs would essentially clinch a spot. Even at (3-7), Drew Pasteur Fantastic 50 has them at a 92% shot to make it in.
Honestly not sure how I feel about that, but finishing 6-4 and having a winning record for the first time in a decade would be a real positive for the program. Should beat Meigs, but I'd guess the final two games are toss ups. Did not expect to lose to Logan.

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

New facilities would be great, but I don't think that in and of itself will make a difference. Waterford and FF do great with older facilities. Youth football in Marietta has slumped over the last decade, while youth soccer has exploded. Marietta football, and football in Marietta, really needs a boost of enthusiasm at the youth and middle school level.

Return to “Football”