Waverly vs. Westfall is here

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

You were making reference to Waverly's injuries and excuses. I was responding to you because it is clearly evident you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Waverly. Same way is if I were to comment on Westfall. You claim you don't know who plays where for Waverly due to injuries but did you know before?
Can someone give us stats for both teams on turnovers and turnover ratio if one is kept? I do know Walls has thrown 4 interceptions but I don't know how many fumbles we have lost.

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Good Luck Tigers, I will be at the game watching you bring home another victory

sickandtired
Waterboy

Post by sickandtired »

Looks like we are all in for a GREAT GAME!!!!

So much the same
Week 12 shaping up as a full-throttle playoff slugfest

By PHIL GRAY
Gazette Sports Writer

Just to qualify all this, the word "mirror" wasn't used in any question during interviews for this story.

But it was used in more than one answer.

"Looking at both of us, there's a mirror image between the two teams," Waverly coach Rusty Wright said. "We both like to spread it out, we both like to throw and we both like to run. If you look at Westfall, what they want to do is not a lot different from what we want to do."

And there was this from the other end:
"If you look at both teams, we're mirror images," Westfall coach Scott Keller said. "We're so identical it's incredible. We don't run the exact same plays, but we're both efficient, ball-control teams. But we're also both full-throttle. It's funny that it's so identical."

And that's what's shaping up for Saturday.

Week 12 promises to be the kind of football game you don't usually catch on a high school football field. It's high-octane on both ends - one-of-a-kind offense coming from both sides of the field.

And somebody's got to stop somebody.

"Really, the difference in what we do is simply the color of the helmets," Wright said. "There are a lot of similarities all over the place. The kids move well, they pursue the ball on defense and they control things on offense.

"But the other side of it is, even though each of us is so similar to the other, it's not something the defense sees very often. It's very seldom that we get to play against a team that does what we do."

The spread offense came en vogue on the local scene about five years ago. The local switch from the double-tight, power-I to West Coast-style football seemed to happen all at once - sometimes for no apparent reason except that "West Coast" and "spread" sound like nifty clichés to say at banquets.

It's not en vogue all over the place anymore.

But in Week 12 at Teays Valley, it will be.

Thing is, even though both team's defense has watched its offensive counterpart go through its gameplan for 11 weeks now, neither one has much of a chance to go toe to toe against it.

"You don't ever get the chance to line up your ones (on defense) against your ones (on offense)," Keller said. "Our kids haven't seen the spread the way Waverly is going to run it, and Waverly hasn't seen it the way we're going to run it. I don't think being so similar benefits anybody. Your offense is the same, your defense is the same - you just go out and do what you can."

Along this same theme of similarities, both teams have leaned heavily on their upperclassmen along this road (and, for the record, that road has led to 19 combined wins in 20 combined games in 2007 for the two teams).

For Westfall, it's a a success story that has spanned several years of gold balls and conference championships.

For Waverly, this recent run of gridiron greatness is pretty new.

"These seniors were part of this turnaround. We were 1-9 their freshman year - and we call that the I-and-9 team," Wright said, pronouncing it 'eye-and-nine'. "These seniors, they were the ones who came off that I-and-9 team and listened to what we were trying to do and they understood what it took to make things change. Their freshman year, the team was all about the individual. Now, it's not. It's like we always tell them, the best football player in Ohio is the guy standing next to them right now."

For Westfall, the upperclass factor is all about experience.

"Our seniors are the lifeblood of our team," Keller said. "So many of them are three-year starters, and they've been through it. They were 7-3 as sophomores, then they've gone 10-0, 10-0. Not only are they fundamentally sound, but their most impressive quality is their competitive nature."

For the local football scene, Saturday shapes up as 48 minutes of full-throttle football.

Sad thing is, come minute 49, one of the two teams will be finished for the winter.

But still...

"Tuesday it was so cold, the wind was howling, the kids were miserable," Wright said. "But there are 750 schools in Ohio that play football, and 700 of them that would trade anything to be out there in the cold and the wind. Seven hundreds schools, their kids and their coaching staffs are nice and warm right now. And I think the kids understood that. We're extremely proud to be part of that select fraternity."

"Any time you qualify for the playoffs, you have to feel fortunate about what you've been able to do," Keller said. "But our goal isn't just to be in Week 12. When you become happy with where you're at - not just in football, but in life - then how can you get better?"

Kick off for Saturday's game at Teays Valley is planned for 7 p.m.

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

I just heard a rumor thats there is a musical at Teays Valley the same night as the game? If thats true it will be a parking nightmare won't it?

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan »

WOW! Over 7,000 reads in one week. That's impressive. Kind of lets you know where the attention of southern Ohio will be Saturday night!

Looks like it's going to be excellent football weather and a dry track, so hopefully both teams can bring their best. Good Luck to both teams and may the best team win. And may the team that wins,... continue to march toward Massillon.

"The Greatest Show on Turf"
phishing
Waterboy

Post by phishing »

Good Luck Waverly play hard and win .

May the Birds of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Westfall wins by 3 scores... these guys can really play ball

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

1 MORE DAY!!!! :twisted:

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

That'll just add to the crowd if that's the case. I'm planning on watching the first half of the Buckeye game in the Shoe, then driving down to Teays Valley for the ballgame. I'm sure a lot of people will be getting there early. Gates opening at 4pm is amazing.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

OVCfan I love the pic.

Remember the name are you coming to the game?
Westfall or circleville

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

BMAN you are so lucky, not to have to worry about where you're gonna sit. do you need an assistant on the sidelines :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

mstangmom, if I could bring down assistants on the sidelines, there would be more than it could hold. Some of the Westfall players wanted to be "assistants" at the Circleville playoff game.

I'm looking forward for a weekend packed of football and it's also about time for one of those big plump turkeys (Thanksgiving).

Good luck to both Pickaway County teams. Another 2-0 weekend would be amazing, mixed in with a big Buckeye win.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

bman618 wrote:mstangmom, if I could bring down assistants on the sidelines, there would be more than it could hold. Some of the Westfall players wanted to be "assistants" at the Circleville playoff game.

Thats funny, they would probably dress and play tonight if Downing would let them.

these boys sure love their football that is for sure.

Baseball_101
Waterboy

Post by Baseball_101 »

Champ wrote:The game is at Teays Valley.

like a home game for Westfall dont ya think

Definately be a lot of Westfall fans there but even if it was over an hour away, you would still have the mustang faithful along for the ride.

bug ii
Waterboy

Post by bug ii »

Word on the street is that the MUSTANGS coaches have decided to change the game plan and just run the power-I at the tigers on Saturday. They must have seen something on one of the films they have been watching since Monday. Seems a little late in the week to change the game plan. I don't know if that would work or not. Maybe there are some wheelersburg people that could confirm or deny this new strategy. GO MUSTANGS!!!

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

56 or pherson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Another funny one bugii, no one and I mean NO ONE will fall for that one.

bug ii
Waterboy

Post by bug ii »

OK, OK, but don't say I didn't try...! I thought the burg used to run the spread a few years ago. Do they still spread it? Maybe, just maybe, power football is where it's at. Is that you tigers2010 I see off in the distance, doing that rain dance? GO MUSTANGS!!!

sirwalterscott
Waterboy

Post by sirwalterscott »

Is that you tigers2010 I see off in the distance, doing that rain dance?

that is tigers2010...but he is "off in the distance' because he's near the back of the line to get in the gate at TV...and he's 'dancing' because he doesn't dare give up his place in line just to go to the restroom... :lol:

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Bug you are funny, they aren't gonna know what to defend. wouldn't srprise me though is keller did switch it up on them though these boys are good at running both. maybe keller will just switch offenses each quarter, or maybe each time they get possession of the ball. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Football”