Wheelersburg 49 Ironton 6

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WEEK 1 IRONTON @WHEELERSBURG -- YOUR THOUGHTS.

Post by noreply66 »

Don't know if Ironton saved the OVC or not. I would say Portsmouth and Gallipolis did more for the OVC. With Ironton's past record they didn't prove a thing when they joined the OVC. A lot of people see Ironton joining the OVC because the Tigers are not the powerhouse they used to be. If the Tigers do not win they will leave the OVC..Where will they go???? I'm not for sure if the OVC can put Ironton in the playoffs that is because I really do not know how the OVC stands. Does Ironton need to rebuild their program like Gallipolis and Portsmouth? Will Ironton see more boys going out now that they are in the OVC? I see that with Portsmouth and Gallipolis. Portsmouth might not have to rebuild like Gallipolis, they just needed more schools close to their size. Gallipolis has the boys in the school to compete again. Getting them out could be a different story. The OVC looks like a nice size league, hope everything goes fine for the league. This old SEOAL boy will hope Gallipolis will make a come back quick.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

fred_flinstone wrote:YTB.... I would love to see Ironton win as I am an OVC fan so wanting the tigers to lose I don't want to happen. It just gets under my skin how irrational and big headed most Ironton Fans are, they are like UK Basketball Fans. Ironton proved nothing last year other than It could win the lowly OVC by the skin of their teeth. I get sick of hearing that Ironton has "Saved" the OVC... What does that even mean? And then this year for people to make assumptions they are going to roll burg or go 10-0 is way outlandish and very unlikely. Im not even sure where these ideas come from? How can you make those assumptions after being DESTROYED by Burg the past however many years, not being very good last year, and not looking very good in the pre season this year? I go back to the previews, ok I get you don't show much in previews and some starters were out but Portsmouth had starters out and didn't show much either but what Portsmouth did do was outwork and out hustle the Tigers on every Snap... I am sorry but if you cant get up and go hard every play when you finally get to see a different color jersey for the first time then something is wrong! If you don't play hard in a scrimmage are you playing hard in practice and are you going to play hard when the lights are on on Fridays? Something else Ironton really doesn't have going for them is Coaching staff! Their Coaching staff falls behind Chesapeakes, Portsmouths, Rock Hills, and possibly Coal Groves depending on how Kidd does this year. Their Coaching staff is par at best and I look for this to be their last year\.

hey as far as me saying we're going to blow up the pirate ship. I'm just goofin like everybody else here. the ironton/burg series has gotten really bad for ironton fans. we need to see something new. but it does not keep us from being fans. just like everybody else. as far as ironton saving the ovc, not sure who said that. the league was definitely floundering from a football stand point. I have myself stated that adding ironton,portsmouth, and Gallia academy would breath new life into the ovc. and it has.even with a poor team last year ironton won the league the first year. and the games were quite competitive.i don't believe for a minute their staff falls behind anyone league wise. it's the dinosaur age offensive play book and lack of discipline that has plagued the tigers. and arm tackling and not staying with blocks that have been our demise. if that changes any at all, they'll be very hard to top.i know how cocky ironton fANS ARE N SPOILED MYSELF INCLUDED, I'M ONE OF EM.what do you expect with their history. we are figuring out by and large that teams do not fear us anymore. nor do they even respect us.that needs to change.and yes burg did destroy us in the playoffs last couple a years. hope your team gets a chance to try the pirates on for size. they are now what ironton was till 2007. I put no value on evaluating scrimmages. but if they were lacking in effort that is a coaching issue.i have lived in waverly 6.5 years now. and don't even know these kids playing now. it may be the last year for this staff. if they don't produce and they have the numbers, then it would be justified. nothing against any person on the staff. coaching is performance based. look at rock hill's program they were on the mats for a decade. everybody thought there should be coaching changes there. but they were patient. and last year were 1 of 3 ovc teams to make it to the playoffs. I will say this with the utmost confidence if ANYBODY beats burg in these parts it will be ironton. they have a very experienced staff. they apparently have the horse now. let's smack each other in the chops n see what happens. have we improved or not. we will see. I have no earthly idea till gametime at the pirate ship. if the do beat burg may be a long year for other ovc teams. for 4 years the tigers earned the cocky reputation by taking it. now they gotta get that back. and I been hearing for years from every fan from teams everywhere how they want some of us now. hey that's a parta sports. I know where they are coming from. and I admire their grit. sign on the line they'll see what happens. the present ovc is more diverse than it's ever been by the 3 additions. and size wise it could not be any fairer. the question was mostly travel related in previous leagues for every team. remember gas was like 4.50 a gallon when the leagues started reforming everywhere. in all sports I now see ironton in the ovc is genious in all sports. though I wanted nothing to do with it initially. but I was dead wrong. the hill stuck with knipp, rock hill is now vastly improved. the tigers have stuck with vass. the won the ovc. now we need to see if they can continue to. and will this be enough to prepare you for the burgs in week 11.who knows, we'll have to see. going to be hard to start any new series' with ironton because of league play now. with burg, Ashland and Russell every year teams now. and rightfully so 3 awesome rivalry games. ironton/Russell was completely lopsided in the tigers favor till a couple of years ago. ironton/Ashland has always been a cat fight. ironton/burg till 2007 was a lopsided joke till 2007. and they continue to jerk on the tigers tail n laugh. can the tigers change that we'll see. and as far as belittleing Ashland, burg, or Russell. you need to try them on for size first to have any legitimacy to an opinion. ironton is not playing downtrodden teams out of conference. ironton fans have all had their share of goofs now since lutz is gone. that was an amazing history. time to start another one or move on.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

noreply66 wrote:Don't know if Ironton saved the OVC or not. I would say Portsmouth and Gallipolis did more for the OVC. With Ironton's past record they didn't prove a thing when they joined the OVC. A lot of people see Ironton joining the OVC because the Tigers are not the powerhouse they used to be. If the Tigers do not win they will leave the OVC..Where will they go???? I'm not for sure if the OVC can put Ironton in the playoffs that is because I really do not know how the OVC stands. Does Ironton need to rebuild their program like Gallipolis and Portsmouth? Will Ironton see more boys going out now that they are in the OVC? I see that with Portsmouth and Gallipolis. Portsmouth might not have to rebuild like Gallipolis, they just needed more schools close to their size. Gallipolis has the boys in the school to compete again. Getting them out could be a different story. The OVC looks like a nice size league, hope everything goes fine for the league. This old SEOAL boy will hope Gallipolis will make a come back quick.
that's kinda funny reply. you know the demise of the defunct seoal was a result of travel. now logan as well sees what it's like to be the big fish in the little pond as well as Jackson. who has built an incredible program under andy. logan has been underperforming for many lustrums. and appears they are on the mend. that's another can people don't want to open. calling ironton runners after they have dominated the seoal teams for decades. not as of late. the only team close is Portsmouth series wise. go ahead everybody take your shots. it ain't up to me how I respond, I'm just a fan. ------------ but that's win or lose whatever league or independent situation they are in. it's like the bully that beat everybody up. then his victims grew up and stomped a mudhole in him. the question is how will the tigers get off the mat. and can the ovc prepare teams to win past week 10.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

as far as a previous past powerhouse that was 9tenths coaching. and a superior training and weight program. now everybody here is the same size. and has the same training. so in essence everybody hAS CAUGHT UP TO IRONTON. now we gotta prove it on the field just like everybody else. no longer are teams beat when the tiger greyhounds show up. they all want some now. frankly that excites me.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Don't know if Ironton saved the OVC or not. I would say Portsmouth and Gallipolis did more for the OVC. With Ironton's past record they didn't prove a thing when they joined the OVC. A lot of people see Ironton joining the OVC because the Tigers are not the powerhouse they used to be. If the Tigers do not win they will leave the OVC..Where will they go???? I'm not for sure if the OVC can put Ironton in the playoffs that is because I really do not know how the OVC stands. Does Ironton need to rebuild their program like Gallipolis and Portsmouth? Will Ironton see more boys going out now that they are in the OVC? I see that with Portsmouth and Gallipolis. Portsmouth might not have to rebuild like Gallipolis, they just needed more schools close to their size. Gallipolis has the boys in the school to compete again. Getting them out could be a different story. The OVC looks like a nice size league, hope everything goes fine for the league. This old SEOAL boy will hope Gallipolis will make a come back quick.
that's kinda funny reply. you know the demise of the defunct seoal was a result of travel. now logan as well sees what it's like to be the big fish in the little pond as well as Jackson. who has built an incredible program under andy. logan has been underperforming for many lustrums. and appears they are on the mend. that's another can people don't want to open. calling ironton runners after they have dominated the seoal teams for decades. not as of late. the only team close is Portsmouth series wise. go ahead everybody take your shots. it ain't up to me how I respond, I'm just a fan. ------------ but that's win or lose whatever league or independent situation they are in. it's like the bully that beat everybody up. then his victims grew up and stomped a mudhole in him. the question is how will the tigers get off the mat. and can the ovc prepare teams to win past week 10.
I don't remember saying anything about the SEOAL failing from anything. You might say i said Ironton left the SEOAL because they couldn't beat the big boys from the SEOAL and if they do not win year after year in the OVC they will move on. That is not a Ironton put down...if Ironton cannot win in the OVC they will not make the playoffs and will leave to go find away in to the playoffs.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

IBTT wrote:
wobycat wrote:Let's look at this objectively, not because I saw the athletes and compared them.

Coaching - advantage burg. Coach vass has not been given much help because Ironton has changed so much in the last 5 years. The population of students have dwindled to burgs size. Since then burg has had the advantage.

Special teams - advantage burg. Burg always has potential for element of surprise plus they execute it well.

Defense - advantage burg. I only give the advantage to burg here because of what I saw in Chillicothe scrimmage. They are very fast to the ball. I've not seen Irontons defense but until they prove they can defend the pass, burg gets the nod.

Offense - edge to Ironton. Ironton has the big line and I'm going on the fact that overall the backfield will be more physical according to the Ironton posters. I'm not buying Scott as good as Palladino until I see it. Palladino was really good. Burg is ushering in a new line and a new QB. For that edge goes to Ironton.

This will all be settled by the players on the field and not by us posters, whom honestly have no idea what will happen.
Coaching, I will give it to you, as across the board Wheelersburg has a very strong staff that have prepared as well as they can for the whole year ahead, not just a short month or so. However, Ironton has improved on their coaching staff by bringing back Lutz's offensive coordinator in Mike Burcham for big games and his son working the press box.

Special teams Burg has been strong over the years, however for the first time in a while, Ironton has an equatable kicker who has been kicking 45 yarders. Also they will have a sure handed speed back who can change direction in Scott. Last year the whole momentum shifted after Ironton had held the Burg and then after a punt Ironton muffed it and turned it over. That was the difference in the game in my opinion. Burg followed it up with the go ahead score.

Scott, although he hasn't shown it in Ironton Orange and Black, I'm telling you, get ready. He is a beast. One fine athlete and a fine kid. He will be the top back in southern Ohio this year imo. His highlights from last year are amazing. So far in practice, the kid is everything we expected and more.

Defensively, Ironton is huge. Ironton will be fast. I know Burg is fast. I think both teams will be close here with Ironton being able to run on Burg enough. I doubt burg can score on the Tigers this year.
Not going to give you the special teams edge because of a kicker. It has to include them all. Plus the coaching of special teams. Edge Burg.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

YTB, I hear everything your saying man. Everyone wants to try and beat up on the Tigers after they had a couple bad years. Where were they when Ironton was rolling teams off the field? Burg has taken their lumps and now they're giving them. I love this game. It is the best way to start the HS football season. The only thing I would change about it, move it to Saturday night. The gates would be HUGE.Everyone loves this game.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

noreply66 wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
I don't remember saying anything about the SEOAL failing from anything. You might say i said Ironton left the SEOAL because they couldn't beat the big boys from the SEOAL and if they do not win year after year in the OVC they will move on. That is not a Ironton put down...if Ironton cannot win in the OVC they will not make the playoffs and will leave to go find away in to the playoffs.
yeah right. you said it that ironton left because of losing to the big boys. just own it. you didn't offend me. but that's not at all the case it was strictly travel related and geographics. ironton played teams way tougher than what the seoal had for decades as an independent and thrived.and if ironton does not win in the ovc , they don't deserve to play in the playoffs anyhow.
big boys of the seoal, you're bout to make bait pee a lil.your bitterness toward the tigers is funny. but hey that's what makes this site great.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

P(irate) wrote:YTB, I hear everything your saying man. Everyone wants to try and beat up on the Tigers after they had a couple bad years. Where were they when Ironton was rolling teams off the field? Burg has taken their lumps and now they're giving them. I love this game. It is the best way to start the HS football season. The only thing I would change about it, move it to Saturday night. The gates would be HUGE.Everyone loves this game.

I could not agree more pirate, burg took their bumps with the tigers , now the tide has turned. and I hain't learned to like it no more than ya'll did. but it always has been the premier matchup in the south. especially with Portsmouth not being very relevant for many years now. I hope all the teams of the ovc and soc have great years.i ain't a fan of Saturday games myself. it interferes with my college football watching. but dvr's are a great thing as well. where that was never an option before.
I'm proud to hear a burg fan acknowledge what happened at the hands of the tigers for years.and ask why others never stepped up back then. now the shoe's on the other foot. and I'd expect nothing less than the grief we're getting for it.it's not life altering to me like in the past. but I love my tigers, and am always rooting for the burg after week 1.
anybody says any different don't know me. it's a points bonanza for the winner.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and I'm dang skippy proud the two continue to play each other. I wish they were in the same league. ironton gets back on track football wise the entire ovc will have to pick up the pace. the same in the soc with burg, the soc teams have to kick it up a bunch to play football with the pirates. valley had a great run, but I'm hearing they will be very young this year. but if you have the numbers and good coaching , you gotta shot.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
P(irate) wrote:YTB, I hear everything your saying man. Everyone wants to try and beat up on the Tigers after they had a couple bad years. Where were they when Ironton was rolling teams off the field? Burg has taken their lumps and now they're giving them. I love this game. It is the best way to start the HS football season. The only thing I would change about it, move it to Saturday night. The gates would be HUGE.Everyone loves this game.

I could not agree more pirate, burg took their bumps with the tigers , now the tide has turned. and I hain't learned to like it no more than ya'll did. but it always has been the premier matchup in the south. especially with Portsmouth not being very relevant for many years now. I hope all the teams of the ovc and soc have great years.i ain't a fan of Saturday games myself. it interferes with my college football watching. but dvr's are a great thing as well. where that was never an option before.
I'm proud to hear a burg fan acknowledge what happened at the hands of the tigers for years.and ask why others never stepped up back then. now the shoe's on the other foot. and I'd expect nothing less than the grief we're getting for it.it's not life altering to me like in the past. but I love my tigers, and am always rooting for the burg after week 1.
anybody says any different don't know me. it's a points bonanza for the winner.
Anyone would be a fool not to Bait. We all know what happened. The all time record shows it. But 5 wins in 3 seasons is quickly turning that around. I don't doubt things will get more competitive.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I have no bitterness towards Ironton many of times on here I have praised the Tigers. They left because they couldn't beat the big boys. Many of times on here Ironton has been mentioned to travel and play anyone so the travel thing doesn't really hold up. Teams beating Ironton while in the SEOAL the last time was Zanesville, Logan, Jackson and Chillicothe and some other were just close wins. And now if the league was still together you could add Athens to that. Ten teams and and five would beat you giving you four wins in the league and those 5 are the big boys.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Reason #6

The Burg o-line and d-line all get E. coli from bad Mexican food.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Buramgerdin wrote:Reason #6

The Burg o-line and d-line all get E. coli from bad Mexican food.
In response to this post Toro Loco has closed it's doors until after the game.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:one wk away. time for the dogg to strike up the band. 1.. 2.. 3..

We are the Pirates BOLD from Wheelersburg.
We are the Orange and the Black.
We're gonna fight for dear ole Wheelersburg
and our foes will never, ever fight us back.
And pretty soon we'll start that score to roll.
We're gonna put that ball right in the goal.
We're gonna win this game for Wheelersburg, Wheelersburg, rah, rah, rAAaaAh !
FIGHT!!!!

GO BURG!!

THERES WHAT I BEEN A WAITIN ON, IT AIN'T A BURG THREAD WITHOUT DOGG'S FIGHT SONG. WE'RE GONNA FILL THEM TUBA'S WITH ORANGE BUBBLE GUM, AND KEEP THEM MILK JUGS QUIET THIS YEAR.
IKR!! it wouldn't be a burg thread w/o me postin that or cal preps

Cal Preps:

Wheelersburg 35
Ironton 6

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:one wk away. time for the dogg to strike up the band. 1.. 2.. 3..

We are the Pirates BOLD from Wheelersburg.
We are the Orange and the Black.
We're gonna fight for dear ole Wheelersburg
and our foes will never, ever fight us back.
And pretty soon we'll start that score to roll.
We're gonna put that ball right in the goal.
We're gonna win this game for Wheelersburg, Wheelersburg, rah, rah, rAAaaAh !
FIGHT!!!!

GO BURG!!

THERES WHAT I BEEN A WAITIN ON, IT AIN'T A BURG THREAD WITHOUT DOGG'S FIGHT SONG. WE'RE GONNA FILL THEM TUBA'S WITH ORANGE BUBBLE GUM, AND KEEP THEM MILK JUGS QUIET THIS YEAR.
IKR!! it wouldn't be a burg thread w/o me postin that or cal preps

Cal Preps:

Wheelersburg 35
Ironton 6
I wonder what they base that on lol....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don't know but their % is very high. Not sure how they do it but they don't actually start live projecting until October 1st. They are usually dead on then.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

noreply66 wrote:I have no bitterness towards Ironton many of times on here I have praised the Tigers. They left because they couldn't beat the big boys. Many of times on here Ironton has been mentioned to travel and play anyone so the travel thing doesn't really hold up. Teams beating Ironton while in the SEOAL the last time was Zanesville, Logan, Jackson and Chillicothe and some other were just close wins. And now if the league was still together you could add Athens to that. Ten teams and and five would beat you giving you four wins in the league and those 5 are the big boys.
Who was the big boys that Ironton ran from while in the SEOAL?

Ironton

vs Logan ....... 0-4
vs Jackson ..... 4-0
vs Portsmouth.. 3-1
vs Zanesville.... 1-1
vs Warren........ 2-0
vs Gallia Acad... 3-1
vs Chillicothe.... 2-2

Back to Ironton vs Wheelersburg. I really think this game could go either way. The Burg has had our number the last few years, BUT, this could very well be the year the Fighting Tigers get one back. Hopefully everyone comes out of the game healthy.

Go Fighting Tigers.....

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

As far as the comment on special teams, Ironton has been working hard on that for weeks now. The game won't be lost on special teams this season. To go a step further, just remember me saying the name Scott. All I know is a burg fan/parent showed up at a practice this week and saw this individual and shook his head and said he too thought Burg would be pretty good this season until he got a look at this young man. His words were "we don't have anything for him". I watched him in pads today and Yes the boy is real good. With another 250 pound lineman starting practice today from West Virginia with a 400+ bench press along with 6 starters being available come next Tuesday.

The practice for once is rocking. There were 50+ people watching practice tonight. The kids are excited for the first time in years during practice. The kids all have competition for their positions. It all makes a big difference. The freshman team has right at 17 kids, four of them are second/third team. There are now 57 kids on this team with maybe one more senior lineman to join tomorrow. Did I mention this kid is a football player, not a track star. His two 4.4 times were after watching practice from the sideline for hours. Not stretched out, not warmed up. Watching him move, it will be a fun time watching this kid this year and many more to come.

tobehonest
Waterboy

Post by tobehonest »

Burg doesn't stand a chance , will get embarrassed at home

Return to “Football”