OVC Changes?

Army
S

Re: OVC Changes?

Post by Army »

I see maybe a possible type of OVAC being formed in SE-Ohio to offset travel and de-scramble some leagues if the price of gas keeps rising, like spiking to $5.00 dollars or more a gallon.

Playing teams part of such a league for points to earn a title, instead of traveling all over God's Green Acres. Who knows what the future will bring?

For Example:

My Alma Mater: Wellston D4

If there was a OVAC type of association in SE-Ohio

Their schedule could consist of:

Jackson D2
Oak Hill D5
Londonderry Southeastern-Ross D5
McArthur Vinton County D3
Minford D5
Piketon D4
Chillicothe Unioto D4
Chillicothe Huntington-Ross D5
Chesire River Valley D4
Albany Alexander D4

My Kids School: Chillicothe D3

Jackson D2
Waverly D4
Greenfield McClain D3
Circleville D3
Circleville Logan Elm D3
Westfall D4
Hillsboro D4
McArthur Vinton County D3
Chillicothe Unioto D4
Chillicothe Zane Trace D4

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

I dont know if leagues would change just for gas purposes, but i think if they are going to change then they would deffinately consider gas prices

besides river valley the farthest distance in the OVC would be from fairland to rock hill which is 30 miles, but thats the main road, i would guess that they probably take back roads

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Raiderball wrote:Difficult for smaller schools to compete with larger schools year in and year out. Not saying it can't be done but more often than not it won't happen. I agree with ump..

We have a wall of championships that say it happens more than you think.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

^^^You are talking about a difference of 40-50 students not 100+.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Just a few numbers for you to look at

Current OVC

Coal Grove 166
Chesapeake 162
Fairland 205
Rock Hill 222
River Valley 191
South Point 216

Two Schools that have been mentioned

Symmes Valley 124
South Gallia 104

Numbers from the OHSAA Website. Looks like Raiderball knows what he is talking about. The difference between The two smaller schools and the 216 of South Point is worse because of the fact that South Point has a city to center around and compared to the 222 of Rock Hill which is rural area.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

;-)

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Raiderball and mtswngrvsg have done their homework.

South Gallia and Symmes, while they have had some success, would not fare well against a full schedule of OVC teams.

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

I guess Oak Hill is smaller than i thought 133 boys, Portsmouth has 195, and Ironton 216.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

But now I am going to talk on the other side of things. If transportation cost keep going up leagues may be determined by traveling distance instead of size of schools. Just something to muddy the waters a little more.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Maybe if cost go up enough, there won't be high school sports anymore.

It will have to be like Europe where many sports are played as club teams.

Then what would we all have to talk about?

Army
S

Post by Army »

That's a good one :!: :-D

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Seems like the OVC and SOCII have been getting together quite a bit in the last few years and games are scheduled for the upcoming years. It might be good for neighboring conferences to plan their schedules to include atleast 2 games from another conference of schools of the same size. They may even work it out to rotate which teams play each other every 2 years. This will help out all who pays for gas to go to the games along with keeping the money spent on gas and going out to eat in the local area.

Symmes Valley during the good years can play with the OVC teams but with lower numbers of players injuries can add up to ruin a good year. Along with a bad year can help to bring down a program.

Schools need to look at creative ways to work schedules out while allowing their fan base to be able to afford going to games to support their teams. Along with schools having to make every dollar spent is spent wisely not to forget they have to provide quality education. Which has been mentioned on others posts of long road trips during the week in other sports as well as for JV and Freshman football games.

OVClocal
Freshman Team

Post by OVClocal »

I still cant understand why JV doesnt play before varsity in football

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Hasn't Symmes Valley tried this twice and was it not something like scores of 55-0 and 60-14 in that range.

Symmes Valley to the OVC is a very bad idea! 8)

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

It's all talk anyway. Symmes Valley is happy in the SOC

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

SV is a better fit for all of its sports programs in the SOCI than the OVC.

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

OVClocal wrote:and Ironton 216.

So why doesn't anyone talk about Ironton being in the OVC? I would hate to have Ironton's travel schedule.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

getagrip wrote:
OVClocal wrote:and Ironton 216.

So why doesn't anyone talk about Ironton being in the OVC? I would hate to have Ironton's travel schedule.

Cause thats not even legit talk. The OVC would never let Ironton join and Ironton would never evne think about joining that league.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

It wouldn't be normal to have a big city school vs. a rural league like the OVC. . .just not enough gate coming in. . . . ..Ironton wont join the OVC any time soon. . .but you may find RH and CG on there real soon.. . just too much good football, and massive gates, to pass up forever . . . .
.depending on how the whole SEOAL "thing" goes

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

OVCfan32 wrote:It wouldn't be normal to have a big city school vs. a rural league like the OVC. . .just not enough gate coming in. . . . ..Ironton wont join the OVC any time soon. . .but you may find RH and CG on there real soon.. . just too much good football, and massive gates, to pass up forever . . . .
.depending on how the whole SEOAL "thing" goes

Big City? How about small town with a school roughly the same size as South Point and Fairland. In any case, I'd love to have Ironton in the league.

Return to “Football”