Athens 2008 Schedule

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

raider6109 wrote:It cost us $4,000 to take logan off the schedule. Well worth the money.

Who Got the $4,000. According to an article in the Logan Daily no money changed hands:

"Ron Janey, Logan High School activities director, said no monetary fine was put into place in case one of the schools broke the contract, which was a good-faith agreement between the two schools."

http://www.logandaily.com/main.asp?Sect ... M=45915.51

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

RUN THE NAYSAYERS OUT, BURN DOWN THE BARN AND START OVER. YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS IN THIS NEW LEAGUE. MY LAST COMMENT----------SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS TO AGREE. :shock:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Army
S

Post by Army »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:RUN THE NAYSAYERS OUT, BURN DOWN THE BARN AND START OVER. YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS IN THIS NEW LEAGUE. MY LAST COMMENT----------SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS TO AGREE. :shock:

You're Tiger Bait,

I would have to agree to disagree with you on that one. ATHENS has been down so long in the SEOAL except with a decent few seasons in the 80's and 90's. They will be united with three other original Charter Members from the SEOAL. Nelsonville-York left in 70, Wellston left in 82 my alma mater, and Meigs left in 83. I know they played Wellston in the 90's in non-league after Wellston left for the TVC, also Meigs in non-league play. I think what hurts them is the soccer program. They have some that probably could play football but choose to play soccer.

They should fair O.K. in the TVC (Ohio). I think it was a good move on there part, it's made some in the SEOAL mad, due to the way they did it, but can you blame them? I mean look how bad they lost last season and this season in league play.

2008 TVC (Ohio Division) :-D

The Plains Athens D3
McArthur Vinton County D3
Pomeroy Meigs D4
Wellston D4 (GO Golden Rockets) :!: :-D
Albany Alexander D4
Nelsonville-York D5
Belpre D5

Rumor has it that Chesire River Valley D4 from the OVC, and formerly from the SEOAL is a good candidate to make the 8th Team? I see this school over the other four mentioned.

Those being Crooksville D5 from Perry County and from the MVL, Former TVC Original Member, Vincent Warren Local D3 who is in the SEOAL, Gallipolis D4 from the SEOAL. Yep....Gallipolis, and former SEOAL member Point Pleasent, WV Class AA.

The rumor believe it or not is, Gallipolis D4. There name has been thrown around to round out the TVC Ohio and become the 8th team for the Conference. I don't know how the Blue Devils feel about that, but I can't see them ever leaving the SEOAL for the TVC Ohio? Even though the TVC is much closer for travel. But who knows? I think they could have a chance to be voted into the TVC Ohio.

If Gallipolis came into the TVC (Ohio) they would be re-united with there former fellow (SEOAL Charter Members), Wellston D4, Nelsonville-York D5, Pomeroy Meigs D4 and The Plains Athens D3. As rumors go, if Gallipolis does come in, so too would the original TVC member Vincent Warren Local who has played in the SEOAL since 1986. Another former SEOAL member could be Chesire River Valley along with Warren or Gallipolis. They are getting ready to become Bidwell River Valley D4 from the OVC. Another rumor is making the TVC (Ohio) like the SEOAL. With a 10 team league :?:

All the schools would be very close in, unlike the SEOAL.

TVC (Ohio Division) :-D

(Buckeye Division) :-D

Nelsonville-York D5 (Athens County)
Wellston D4 (Jackson County)
McArthur Vinton County D3 (Vinton County)
Albany Alexander D4 (Athens County)
Bidwell River Valley D4 (Gallia County)

(Cardinal Division) :-D

Gallipolis Gallia Academy D4 (Gallia County)
Point Pleasent, WV Class AA (Mason County, WV)
Pomeroy Meigs D4 (Meigs County)
The Plains Athens D3 (Athens County)
Vincent Warren-Local D3 (Washington County)

Some arms would have to be twisted and maybe Belpre D5 would switch back to the Hocking Division making it also a split TVC division like the SEOAL with 10 teams, to include;

TVC (Hocking Division) :-D

(East Division) :?: :-D
Add Mercerville South Gallia D6 (Gallia County)
Add Wahama, WV Class A (Mason County, WV)
Racine Southern Meigs D6 (Meigs County)
Reedsville Eastern Meigs D6 (Meigs County)
Stewart-Federal Hocking D5 (Athens County)

(West Division) :?: :-D
Glouster-Jacksonville Trimble D6 (Athens County)
Corning Miller D6 (Perry County)
Add Crooksville from the MVL D5 (Perry County)
Waterford D6 (Washington County)
Belpre D5 (Washington County)

I heard that one of the only ways it would happen is, if Gallipolis, came in, Vincent Warren Local would have to come back into the TVC too. Or Gallipolis and River Valley together. :-D

I know Jackson continues to show up at the TVC meetings. But I can assure you, there chance to be voted into the TVC Ohio is slim and none. :-D

Even though they play Wellston there cross county rival and former SEOAL foe, every year and most recently McArthur Vinton County, I would see both of those teams saying no to that idea. :-D :lol:

Likewise, N-Y, even though they played the ironmen in non-league play back in the 90's and ran over Jackson at Jackson. But, with that said, I would see the Buckeyes also saying no to expanding for Jackson. I see as well Belpre, Alexander, Athens and Meigs saying no too. :-D

Gallipolis is playing Wellston, Vinton County and Athens in non-league play this 2008 season. :-D

From my understanding Ironton is scheduled to play Nelsonville-York D5 in 2009-and-in-2010? Is that true? :-D

Looks like the TVC Ohio is moving forward. I think Athens made the right move. Look for some changes like this maybe to take place in the future within the TVC. ;-)

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Regardless of future expansion in the TVC, NY would have to be in the division that had the top football programs in it. You can't break them down by size necessarily. Until Athens joined, Vinton County was the largest school in the TVC and NY is 32-8 all time against Vinton County. VC only beat NY by more than one touchdown one time in school history - 1996. Most of the 8 wins for VC over NY were by one or two points. Size doesn't matter when it comes to NY football! :) Also, you fail to account for the NY vs. Athens rivalry in your new breakdown. Athens has the greatest home fan attendance in games where the Bulldogs play NY and Alexander.

I am curious as to why Jackson keeps coming to TVC meetings. Jackson High School is too large to be in the TVC. It's bigger than Athens HS. It is interesting that they come to league meetings though.

I have never heard any talk of Gallia Academy coming to the TVC at any point. They would be a good fit size-wise, but they don't want out of the SEOAL, at least not yet. If Gallia keeps shrinking in size, in another decade or two, the SEOAL might not be a good fit for them, but for the time being, I don't see them leaving the SEOAL.

Since River Valley keeps shrinking, they will be D 5 within the next few years in all likelihood. In order to be a successful D 5 school in the TVC OHIO, you have to have a track record of success. NY and Belpre are the only D 5 schools in the league, but their records speak for themselves as they are number one and number two in all-time league championships. River Valley has not shown success on the football field, so combine that with the fact they are about to be a D 5 school, and they don't necessarily fit well in the league.

At least with a school like Crooksville, its a proven successful D 5 program. However, I doubt the southern TVC schools would vote for Crooksville just like the northern TVC schools won't vote for River Valley.

Personally, I think Warren would be the best fit in the TVC, but Warren would have to want to leave the SEOAL for that to ever happen.

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Regardless of future expansion in the TVC, NY would have to be in the division that had the top football programs in it. You can't break them down by size necessarily. Until Athens joined, Vinton County was the largest school in the TVC and NY is 32-8 all time against Vinton County. VC only beat NY by more than one touchdown one time in school history - 1996. Most of the 8 wins for VC over NY were by one or two points. Size doesn't matter when it comes to NY football! :) Also, you fail to account for the NY vs. Athens rivalry in your new breakdown. Athens has the greatest home fan attendance in games where the Bulldogs play NY and Alexander.

I am curious as to why Jackson keeps coming to TVC meetings. Jackson High School is too large to be in the TVC. It's bigger than Athens HS. It is interesting that they come to league meetings though.

I have never heard any talk of Gallia Academy coming to the TVC at any point. They would be a good fit size-wise, but they don't want out of the SEOAL, at least not yet. If Gallia keeps shrinking in size, in another decade or two, the SEOAL might not be a good fit for them, but for the time being, I don't see them leaving the SEOAL.

Since River Valley keeps shrinking, they will be D 5 within the next few years in all likelihood. In order to be a successful D 5 school in the TVC OHIO, you have to have a track record of success. NY and Belpre are the only D 5 schools in the league, but their records speak for themselves as they are number one and number two in all-time league championships. River Valley has not shown success on the football field, so combine that with the fact they are about to be a D 5 school, and they don't necessarily fit well in the league.

At least with a school like Crooksville, its a proven successful D 5 program. However, I doubt the southern TVC schools would vote for Crooksville just like the northern TVC schools won't vote for River Valley.

Personally, I think Warren would be the best fit in the TVC, but Warren would have to want to leave the SEOAL for that to ever happen.

NYBuckeye96,

I agree with everything except I think River Valley could be a good fit. I hope if they petition to come in, that N-Y and Belpre forgive there snub in the 90's. With the right coach and team they could turn it around at River Valley. The new school will be very close to Rt 32. Right on Rt. 160 east of Wilkesville, Ohio at Bidweell outside Vinton, Ohio.

The Raiders from River Valley would be close to everybody. Closer than Gallipolis.

The longest school for them to drive to would be Belpre. But Belpre plays RV in several sports already? The trip from Nelsonville to Bidwell, Rt. 33 to Rt. 32, to Rt. 160. Turn at Rt. 160 Wilkesville exit pass through Vinton, Ohio and next stop is Bidwell. The New School will be right off the highway.

I do believe if Gallipolis did come in, they would rule in Football for a little while, until the rest of the teams got used to playing against there style and size. When I was at Wellston we defeated them in 1975-76 season first time in 17 years. That's when we were still in the SEOAL with them. They would give another dimension to the TVC adding power in several sports. That would put 5 former SEOAL Chartered Members into the TVC Ohio if they did switch and come on board. I think Wellston, VC and Meigs would vote yes for the Blue Devils to come into the TVC. I don't know how The Plains Athens, Albany Alexander, Nelsonville-York and Belpre would vote.

I also agree about Vincent Warren Local. But I doubt they want to come back to the TVC. I listened to there reason for staying in the SEOAL last season at the B-Ball sectionals by several of there fans. They seemed to think that the TVC was beneath there standards? If they move out of the TVC look for them to move towards the MVL, not back to the TVC.

I like the idea of Oak Hill in the TVC Ohio too. I believe in a few years they would be able to compete. But I doubt they would want in now that Athens has joined. Remember when the SVAC went under and they petitioned to come into the TVC before the split divisions, but was turned down by Miller and Belpre?

I too think Crooksville could compete, but Wellston, VC and most likely Meigs would say no. The travel concerning other sports would be the factor. The roads up to Crooksville would be a serious factor. Especially Winter Sports.

Likewise, Point Pleasent would be a great team to offer an invitation to. They are a Class AA School in WV, and was formerly in the SEOAL.

If Trimble wasn't D6, I know they still could compete in the Ohio Division. They seem to have N-Y's number during the past few years? They would make a great addition to the TVC Ohio, but doubt they would venture back to playing the larger schools again.

I am too curious as to why Jackson keeps coming to the TVC meetings. There is no way in you know what, that any school is going to say, sure come on into the TVC Ohio. I think it's funny to keep seeing them attend the TVC meetings. Even Wellston who is my alma mater and the rival for Jackson would most likely vote no for them to enter the TVC Ohio. They would rule most years in Football.

One other idea I'll pass on to you concerning the TVC. They could set up a several tiers in the Conference like the MSL and OCC.

Make-up a TVC with:

TVC (Ohio Division) :-D
Vincent Warren-Local D3
Nelsonville-York D5
The Plains Athens D3
McArthur Vinton County D3
Wellston D4
Gallipolis D4
Point Pleasent, WV Class AA
Pomeroy Meigs D4

TVC (Hocking Division) :-D
Crooksville D5
Corning Miller D6
Glouster Trimble D6
Stewart Federal Hocking D5
Belpre D5
Waterford D6
Fort Frye D5

TVC (Buckeye Division) :-D
Albany Alexander D4
Racine Southern Meigs D6
Reedsville Eastern Meigs D6
Wahama, WV Class A
Bidwell River Valley D4 most likely D5 before long
Hannan, WV Class A
Mercerville South Gallia D6
Oak Hill D5

Who knows if the TVC (Ohio) will ever get a 8th Team?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If you look at next year's schedule, most of the TVC OHIO schools, during their bye week in league play, scheduled the SEOAL school that will have a bye week that same week.

Nelsonville-York vs Ironton
Wellston vs. Gallia Academy
Meigs vs. Warren

I think for the forseeable future, with both leagues having an odd number of teams, you will see TVC OHIO vs. SEOAL matchups in those bye weeks because most other schools are only playing league games by that point.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

I like the TVC Divisions that Army has suggested.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Has Athens found a team for there week three yet :?:

Has the replacement for Logan been found for week 3 yet?

Athens 2008 Schedule

Fri 08/22/2008 GALLIA ACADEMY
Fri 08/29/2008 FEDERAL HOCKING
Fri 09/05/2008 @
Fri 09/12/2008 @ Meigs*
Fri 09/19/2008 VINTON COUNTY*
Fri 09/26/2008 @ Alexander*
Fri 10/03/2008 WELLSTON*
Fri 10/10/2008 @ Nelsonville-York*
Fri 10/17/2008 BELPRE*
Fri 10/24/2008 @ Wahama

bulldog75
Waterboy

Post by bulldog75 »

Week three has been filled with Bloom-Carroll.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Good choice Athens, a decent team from the MSL (Buckeye Division). Are they still a D4 school or have they moved up to D3? The school isn't that far away from Athens either.

Athens 2008 Schedule

Fri 08/22/2008 GALLIPOLIS GALLIA ACADEMY D4
Fri 08/29/2008 STEWART FEDERAL HOCKING D5
Fri 09/05/2008 @ Bloom-Carroll D4
Fri 09/12/2008 @ Pomeroy Meigs* D4
Fri 09/19/2008 MCARTHUR VINTON COUNTY*D3
Fri 09/26/2008 @ Albany Alexander* D4
Fri 10/03/2008 WELLSTON* D4
Fri 10/10/2008 @ Nelsonville-York* D5
Fri 10/17/2008 BELPRE* D5
Fri 10/24/2008 @ Wahama, WV Class A

Good Luck in the TVC (Ohio Division) next year. :-D
Last edited by Army on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

All of these games are within a reasonable driving distance from Athens. If you look at the non-league schedule - Gallia Academy, Federal Hocking, Bloom-Carroll, Wahama - all are easy drives from Athens. Bloom-Carroll would be the longest trip, but still less than one hour, and its a straight shot up US 33.

In addition to the short driving distances, it appears as if Athens may have a strategy of playing smaller schools in hopes of turning the program around. Besides being the largest school in the TVC, Athens will be larger than all four non-league schools the Bulldogs will play.

Athens is D III, and the only other D III team they will play is Vinton County, of which Athens is larger than VC.

The Bulldogs will play 5 D IV schools - Gallia Academy, Bloom-Carroll, Meigs, Alexander, and Wellston.

The Bulldogs play 3 D 5 schools - Federal Hocking, Nelsonville-York, Belpre.

And the final game, Wahama WV, I think they would be D 6 if they were in Ohio, but I'm not sure.

I was a little surprized by the non-league schedule. I never would have guessed Athens would play Fed Hock and Wahama, but they are both really close to Athens. I also never would have guessed all the non-league games would be against smaller schools, but that could be what Athens needs to turn around the program. I do not blame Athens for canceling the series with Logan. However, I thought more SEOAL schools would have been on the non-league schedule, particularly Warren and Marietta.

I hope this is only the first step in turning around the sports programs at Athens. It takes more than changing leagues to turn around a program, you have to do it from the bottom up, so hopefully this is just one step of the puzzle for Athens athletics.

Return to “Football”