wheelersburg 2008

Jozef
Riding the Bench

Post by Jozef »

we should have a great year , and even advance farther into the Tournament next year.

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
TigerMack wrote:Didn't Coal Grove play the burg regularly when Lucas was there the first time around? I believe they did. He also played Gallia academy regularly. Correct me if I'm wrong. :?

Yes, they used to play in the regular season every year for quite a few years. I think that after the Burg beat them in the regular season and then knocked them out of the tourney on a couple of occassions that Lucas decided he wasn't going to play in the regular season anymore.

hey 77 how many times have they made the playoffs since they quit playin burg

I think they made it once since that time.

Gunpowder Pete
Waterboy

Post by Gunpowder Pete »

Jozef wrote:we should have a great year , and even advance farther into the Tournament next year.

I don't see it. With all the talent on the 07 team we should have went further. Despite any talent we may have one constant remains that will be the down fall of the 2008 season. That problem is LEWIS. Sorry pirates the truth hurts. But good luck.

Just a Pup
Waterboy

Post by Just a Pup »

I think the defense will be as good or better next year. Biggest challenge will be finding d ends the caliber of Conley and Stamper. Interior D line and linebackers will be good. They will find the athletes to fill the secondary with good quality athletes.

Offense will be a question mark. Lang is terrific athlete at QB and Schankie will be as good as anyone around at running back. I agree with previous posts that they will be pretty one-dimensional and offensive line will be a big question mark.

I agree they will have a good regular season, but don't see playoff success unless they can throw the ball well. One-dimensional teams just don't succeed in the playoffs very often. People have mentioned the 05 team in this thread. very good running back and one of the best o-lines we have ever had. But come playoff time, the best running attacks can be stopped if you can't do anything else.

Here's hoping that they can pass it better than I think they will. If they can, next year could be a strong team. Hoping for nothing but the best for our Pirates

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

One dimensional teams don't do well in the playoffs????

I think you need to think back to last year and the DIV I state champions, Hilliard Davidson. I would venture to guess that some teams threw the ball more in one game then they did all year. They were very one dimensional and I think that if you have the horses to do it, you can win it all with just a running game.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

the burg had talented skill players in 07 but they had their weaknesses. they didn't have the talent to compete with the 4-5 best teams in div5. You can win being one dimentional but usually winning has more to do with who has more talent than what scheme your running. coach white's hilliard D team was the exception to that rule. his opponents all had more talented teams than him last yr. his players all bought into his scheme and executed it to perfection and a little luck hear and there didn't hurt either, and they were able to bring home the D1 state championship.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

Hilliard davidson is an execption. Burg does not have the size up front to be that one deminsional.. If they are that one dimensional they will have trouble.. They do have good football players, hopefully they can pull together and have a great year.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

I believe that Burg will be able to have a mix of pass and run next season. That is if the coaching staff decides to utilize a mix of both.

Burg will probably be more run oriented than pass but they still have the skilled athletes that can catch the football and I believe the QB can throw well enough to make this an option when needed. Although he will have to discipline himself as all mobile QB's need to do. He must give the routes a chance to develop and not be too anxious to run with the football.

I agree that a team like Burg cannot survive long being one dimensional.

Yes, Burg lost alot of skilled players this season but there are others coming through the system. Should be another exciting season in 2008

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

The 05 team had a passing QB in Story, and he did a fine job, just watch some film on him, it was just that some coaches did not want him in there, so there was no confidence given to him. Had the receivers, had running backs, had one of the best lines that Burg had seen in a long time, but come playoff time, most players where done with the season and made no bones about saying it. A lot of jealousy in that group of players and parents. Of all of my years of watching Burg football, that was one dissapointing year of not making it all the way. They were not one dimensional. The 07 team could be playing this next week, had we made a few better calls to get us there, but the heart was there, and the players wanted it too. Next year will be no different, Burg is Burg, never has a down year, just reloads year after year. Lang will do great things next year along with the other talented players.

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

I think no matter what the positives and negatives are, burg will always be a force to reckon with. I look for many successful seasons for them!!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Burg is always a decient football team. I see this team going around 6-4 next year. It's yearly but, you gotta start somewhere.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Who do you see them losing to falconfan?

If next years Burg teams gets the pieces to some of the puzzled figured out, they could one of the better teams the Burg has had. The Juniors to be know how to win and expect to win everytime they step on the field.

If the Burg gets the new turf in for next season, that will make them even better. They have alot of speed coming back next year. Might not be the run and gun offense we've seen over the last few years, but still will be very good at the skill positions.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

You guys crack me up. Story was a passer? Burg can succeed without a balanced attack? Go much further next year? Run the ball nearly every down? :lol: C'mon.

In my opinion, which really isn't worth much, I just love the fight in the Burg players coming back and think it all remains to be seen. Predictions now are really no good to anyone, because they are worthless. So much depends on unknowns: who can replace a great bunch of seniors that contributed for six years at the Burg before tehy left? Can anyone out there throw the ball? Can someone become a great blocker? Who is going to hit the weights? Who will stay home and ignore the weight room? Will the strategy change? Who can lead? Who will turn selfish? Who is the best thinker on the field? That's what's fun about a new team. And we ALL need to remember that these are just high school kids out there. Putting unrealistic expectations on them is only harmful to them. Healthy expectations are one thing, but making wild predictions can only lead to disappointment. The whole town could do these guys a favor and let them breath without everyone deciding today that they can make it to the state or "go even further." Also, moms and dads can back off the coaches. (Isn't that why they always say they wished they coached for an orphanage?) How could anyone Possibly know about next years high school football team. A lot of the year also depends on the competition.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

How can they replace the Long snapper on punts :roll: I say 8-2 ,Average team right :roll:

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

If next years Burg teams gets the pieces to some of the puzzled figured out, they could one of the better teams the Burg has had. The Juniors to be know how to win and expect to win everytime they step on the field.

If the Burg gets the new turf in for next season, that will make them even better. They have alot of speed coming back next year. Might not be the run and gun offense we've seen over the last few years, but still will be very good at the skill positions

I agree and an option team that can pass is a wonderful combination, one that the Burg hasnt had but could do if they trane on it next year. Fake to the FB and Lang drops back immediately to the pass, who knows. I dont think it will happen but we will be a running force with Juniors dominating on the line and Lang, with White taking the go on the option, we will be forcing the defense to collapse on him and Lang v Walker or whomever will get the major yards. I hope we keep the spread in some form to keep those bigger schools we have to play honest. Trick plays would be good but we need the Oline to be dominate in any situation. I think we will have it in this Jr squad.

GO BURG!

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

First of all gunpowder pete is an idiot. I needed to get that out of the way.
The biggest problem is that most people make predictions based on one game. To say that any wheelersburg team should win the state is rediculous. It takes a special group of players to win a state championship and that is why there is only one team at WHS that has actually done that.
As far as next year who knows?

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

I dont know what juniors your talking about up front? frowine and leach should be good, maxie maybe.I dont know. shankweiler cannot be lost. He could literally carry a team running the football. They should be good though.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

whspirate wrote:First of all gunpowder pete is an idiot.

I agree !!!!

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Gunpowder Pete
Waterboy

Post by Gunpowder Pete »

[quote="whspirate"]First of all gunpowder pete is an idiot. I needed to get that out of the way.

I have an opinion and I'm an idiot, give me a break. I don't believe I'm the only one to feel that way about our coaching staff. I'm just not afraid to admit it. All you have to do is sit in the stands for 12 games and you will hear it from about 90% of the folks there. Must be a whole community full of idiots then. Or could it be that we hear in the Burg expect a little more out our football program than we have been getting the last few years. Tons of talent year after year and 2008 should not be any less talented. I will always back the Pirates and hope they go 10-0 and win the SOC and State every year but I don't have to agree or like the way the program is headed and that doesn't make me an Idiot.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

what were the terrible coaches supposed to do this year? The games they lost were to J.C., Saint Clairseville, and Portsmouth regular season. They should have won the Portsmouth game. The other two teams were probably more talented and better overall teams, especially up front. Burg played the toughest schedule in their history and came out of it 7-3 and soc champs beating waverly. They also beat Ironton this year for the first time in I dont know how long. The first playoff game was a war, and the second game they gave every possible effort they could to win.. It isnt the perfect season.. no... but it is a pretty good one for you to be complaining about the coaches. Just because half the people in the stands are crying about the coaching doesnt mean anything, half of the people in the stands are ignorant when it comes to football. (at least half)

Return to “Football”