East football 2008

RobertNichols
Waterboy

Re: East football 2008

Post by RobertNichols »

I would like to agree with everyone that East needs to find a coach soon so that the players are not to far behind in their strength training and conditioning, not to mention team continuity with the new coach. It sounds like the selection process is still early on for the administration was blind sided by the prospect of finding a new coach within the last month. (I would love to stay home and get paid for the next 16 months also. What do I do to sign up for this?) More importantly, I hope that the board is able to fill the educational void left by this development. From what I have observed, the administration will do this for they seem to always have the best interests of the students in mind.

As for the players, there seems to be a lot of talent returning. If they work as hard as they have in the past, I see no reason that they won't have a very good season. They seem to still be one of the better SOC I teams. They will have to keep their concentration and mental toughness that they show this year. I agree with the posts that said that Oak Hill will be a tough test next season. It could also be tough in the early season adjusting to the new system. Barring anymore developments or bad injuries or contentment, I think that 7 to 9 wins is very possible. I see both East and Oak Hill making the playoffs. Hopefully this can be the start of a long stretch of playoff appearences for East.

Good Luck to the Tartans in the season.

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

I don't get it. Take your shots at me if you want but why the other people? Todd Gilliland has run the after school weight program since before Christmas and still is. He doesn't even have a contract to do so. I'm going to pay him if he'll take it.. The only boys that attend after school are junior high boys. The high school boys have the last period of the school day to lift. Mr' Gilliland has a class. My substitute should be covering it. If he's not, complain to the board. Until I went out on sick leave I was there. I can't believe that people who haven't worked in years are taking shots at me for being off sick. It's none of your business what's the matter with me. Hippa laws protect my privacy. Why don't you point out that you were an assistant coach last year. Lucky me! You have not asked me one question about what's going on? You just get on here and declare to the world that you know all. You know what you're being fed. Mark my words that in less than a year you'll realize your source isn't that reliable. I have spent thousands of dollars on the kids at East. I have personally bought equipment in tough times. I bought five sets of cleats last year. I have brought kids to my home to help with homework and study for tests. I have given girls prom dresses. The school wouldn't help so I paid for a boys insurance my first year back. Almost $200.00 for three months. I have given any student who asked free notebooks and pencils the past several years. I gave one boy a television. I have given three beds away in the past year. I think you got one of them. I gave the school treasurer a refrigerator for his office. I gave the school a washer and dryer when we first started up. I gave the teachers lounge a microwave. I've given many boys clothes. I have brought students from my class home to swim. I've done the same for athletes. I've paid many boys above minimum wage to do odd jobs for me and help me work on houses. I have left groceries at kids houses during Christmas. I gave athletes the Kroger gift cards that my wife and I received from the school board at Christmas. I bought a digital camera to film football games. I bought my own dvd's to film the games with. I have given my life to my community and the kids in it. I shouldn't have to mention these things to anyone but you want to smear me and portray me as someone who doesn't care about the kids or school. Why? I love the East students and did the very best I could for as long as I believed that we, as a school, were doing what was best for the students. I now believe that doing what is best for the students is a "battle cry" but not a reality. I have a proven record of caring for the kids and the school. Who has given more?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Are you sure they did not have someone in mind before any of this started. Just remember this, people will tell you one thing but mean something completly different. For me, I will listen to Coach Davis!

I think the coaches that play East are already figuring on who the next coach will be and are doing their homework on him. Plus I think some on here have made alot of hints about who it will be.

I have alot of respect for Coach Davis, always have and always will! 8)

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

ddavis
you should NOT have to bring all this up.

anyone that knows anything about you and East High School, knows what YOU did for the School and kids.

not one other person has come close to doing the things you have done in the 20 plus years you have been there.

by the way, I have talked to a few other teachers that feel the same as you.

I have heard Coach Hall from Burg will be the new coach if so he is a great coach and will be good for the kids-----------but will he put the time in and care for them as Davis? NO!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

mtswngrvsg wrote:I have alot of respect for Coach Davis, always have and always will! 8)

Amen. So do I. I have said this before, but he helped me many times when I was facing tough times and he was responsible for the first coaching position I ever had, which was over 23 years ago. Until just mentioning it, Darryl has had a history of helping out not just the kids, but families in Sciotoville as well and has never said a word. When we were still in school, he would let us know about job opportunities so we could make a little spending money. When I was 4,000 miles from home serving overseas in the US Army, Darryl would take the time to write me and let me know what was going on with the team, the school, and Sciotoville. He did not have to do those things. He did and does those types of things because he cares about the kids, the school, and the people of Sciotoville. For that much and more, I am forever greatful and forever loyal.

sportsfan43 wrote:ddavis
you should NOT have to bring all this up.
anyone that knows anything about you and East High School, knows what YOU did for the School and kids. not one other person has come close to doing the things you have done in the 20 plus years you have been there.

Amen again.

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a Sciotoville school board election coming up in June. Isn't it strange that nothing has been put in the paper about it. In order to run you must register by the end of this month and turn in so many signatures. I don't know how people are supposed to know this. There's only one week left in the month. Last August at a school board meeting I offered to pay to have Scioto County Election Board run the election but for some reason they want to run the election themselves. Isn't that strange? Maybe they'll put it in the paper the day after registration is closed. This will be the first time the board president has had to run. Midstream changes of rules has given him several uncontested years. Doesn't this sound like the type of elections that dictators run? I can't understand why my community goes along with this. Even if it were totally honest the perception of corruption is there. I heard absentee votes are to be turned into the office. I wonder who handles those? I'm sorry for using this forum like this but I'm hoping to shame these people into becoming a part of a democratic society.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

ddavis wrote:I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a Sciotoville school board election coming up in June. Isn't it strange that nothing has been put in the paper about it. In order to run you must register by the end of this month and turn in so many signatures. I don't know how people are supposed to know this. There's only one week left in the month. Last August at a school board meeting I offered to pay to have Scioto County Election Board run the election but for some reason they want to run the election themselves. Isn't that strange? Maybe they'll put it in the paper the day after registration is closed. This will be the first time the board president has had to run. Midstream changes of rules has given him several uncontested years. Doesn't this sound like the type of elections that dictators run? I can't understand why my community goes along with this. Even if it were totally honest the perception of corruption is there. I heard absentee votes are to be turned into the office. I wonder who handles those? I'm sorry for using this forum like this but I'm hoping to shame these people into becoming a part of a democratic society.

if this is the way things have been going I doubt you will shame any of them.

of course they want to run it themselves its all about {in house} isnt that why they got mad at you for not staying{ in house?}

awesomepossum
Freshman Team

Post by awesomepossum »

Doesn't sound like a great situation, but good luck to Coach Darryl Davis, you're a heck of a guy, and good luck to the boys on the team, dont worry about stupid adversity, just get ready for a fun season of football..

headhunter1
Freshman Team

Post by headhunter1 »

ddavis wrote:I don't get it. Take your shots at me if you want but why the other people? Todd Gilliland has run the after school weight program since before Christmas and still is. He doesn't even have a contract to do so. I'm going to pay him if he'll take it.. The only boys that attend after school are junior high boys. The high school boys have the last period of the school day to lift. Mr' Gilliland has a class. My substitute should be covering it. If he's not, complain to the board. Until I went out on sick leave I was there. I can't believe that people who haven't worked in years are taking shots at me for being off sick. It's none of your business what's the matter with me. Hippa laws protect my privacy. Why don't you point out that you were an assistant coach last year. Lucky me! You have not asked me one question about what's going on? You just get on here and declare to the world that you know all. You know what you're being fed. Mark my words that in less than a year you'll realize your source isn't that reliable. I have spent thousands of dollars on the kids at East. I have personally bought equipment in tough times. I bought five sets of cleats last year. I have brought kids to my home to help with homework and study for tests. I have given girls prom dresses. The school wouldn't help so I paid for a boys insurance my first year back. Almost $200.00 for three months. I have given any student who asked free notebooks and pencils the past several years. I gave one boy a television. I have given three beds away in the past year. I think you got one of them. I gave the school treasurer a refrigerator for his office. I gave the school a washer and dryer when we first started up. I gave the teachers lounge a microwave. I've given many boys clothes. I have brought students from my class home to swim. I've done the same for athletes. I've paid many boys above minimum wage to do odd jobs for me and help me work on houses. I have left groceries at kids houses during Christmas. I gave athletes the Kroger gift cards that my wife and I received from the school board at Christmas. I bought a digital camera to film football games. I bought my own dvd's to film the games with. I have given my life to my community and the kids in it. I shouldn't have to mention these things to anyone but you want to smear me and portray me as someone who doesn't care about the kids or school. Why? I love the East students and did the very best I could for as long as I believed that we, as a school, were doing what was best for the students. I now believe that doing what is best for the students is a "battle cry" but not a reality. I have a proven record of caring for the kids and the school. Who has given more?

I understand what your trying to say here and I commend you, But I would take this off before the OHSAA rules violation committee reads it and put there own spin on it.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

headhunter1 wrote:
ddavis wrote:I don't get it. Take your shots at me if you want but why the other people? Todd Gilliland has run the after school weight program since before Christmas and still is. He doesn't even have a contract to do so. I'm going to pay him if he'll take it.. The only boys that attend after school are junior high boys. The high school boys have the last period of the school day to lift. Mr' Gilliland has a class. My substitute should be covering it. If he's not, complain to the board. Until I went out on sick leave I was there. I can't believe that people who haven't worked in years are taking shots at me for being off sick. It's none of your business what's the matter with me. Hippa laws protect my privacy. Why don't you point out that you were an assistant coach last year. Lucky me! You have not asked me one question about what's going on? You just get on here and declare to the world that you know all. You know what you're being fed. Mark my words that in less than a year you'll realize your source isn't that reliable. I have spent thousands of dollars on the kids at East. I have personally bought equipment in tough times. I bought five sets of cleats last year. I have brought kids to my home to help with homework and study for tests. I have given girls prom dresses. The school wouldn't help so I paid for a boys insurance my first year back. Almost $200.00 for three months. I have given any student who asked free notebooks and pencils the past several years. I gave one boy a television. I have given three beds away in the past year. I think you got one of them. I gave the school treasurer a refrigerator for his office. I gave the school a washer and dryer when we first started up. I gave the teachers lounge a microwave. I've given many boys clothes. I have brought students from my class home to swim. I've done the same for athletes. I've paid many boys above minimum wage to do odd jobs for me and help me work on houses. I have left groceries at kids houses during Christmas. I gave athletes the Kroger gift cards that my wife and I received from the school board at Christmas. I bought a digital camera to film football games. I bought my own dvd's to film the games with. I have given my life to my community and the kids in it. I shouldn't have to mention these things to anyone but you want to smear me and portray me as someone who doesn't care about the kids or school. Why? I love the East students and did the very best I could for as long as I believed that we, as a school, were doing what was best for the students. I now believe that doing what is best for the students is a "battle cry" but not a reality. I have a proven record of caring for the kids and the school. Who has given more?

I understand what your trying to say here and I commend you, But I would take this off before the OHSAA rules violation committee reads it and put there own spin on it.

This isn't the NCAA. Nothing he describes is even remotely illegal.

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

I had a boy that was recruited by a neighboring school a few years ago and given a van to drive. That's obuse. I just help kids that need help. When my wife was still working at Portsmouth we helped some kids there with finances to take a school trip. A lot of teachers do these types things. Kids in need are kids in need. Several years ago I decided why contribute to all these different charities that hire telemarketers and only recieve 25% of the money you give. I prefer to know where the money is going and what it is used for. They are not always athletes. I am just more aware of the needs of the people I'm around the most. I've never enticed or recruited anyone during my career. I don't believe in it. I don't believe that a kid should have to quit football because he can't afford shoes or insurance. Our boosters bounced a $3,000.00 check a couple of years ago so boosters hasn't always been an optoion for us. They do great now. The worst thing about my situation is I believe the boys are being fed that I abandoned them, didn't care for them, and garbage like that. I hope that someday they understand that what I've done is not only for them but future Tartans and the community as a whole. Somone has to point out that things are wrong. Anyone who thinks this has been easy for me is nuts. I have a love for the kids at East that will never die but I must move on. There may be some kids somewhere else that needs a grandpa type figure to show an interest in them and try to teach them a little football. They must tolerate southern rock coming from the coaches office though. That's non negotiable.

headhunter1
Freshman Team

Post by headhunter1 »

Just some advice. Put it where you want it.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

ddavis wrote:They must tolerate southern rock coming from the coaches office though.

Now I know why I like southern rock. It was from it playing all the time in the locker room!

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

Now to football. The Tartans are loaded with great kids and talent. Rollins moving in just made a deep backfield deeper. Ehrhardt should help somewhere. There are several possibilities for quarterback. Who gets it will depend on what the new coach wants to do offensively. Sean Wright told me a few days ago that he is playing this year so that adds a receiver with speed to a pretty good core of receivers. Depth in the offensive line ia where the biggest questions lie. Kody Wright has to come through. He still has a lot to learn about football but has size, improving agility, and is just a great kid. Someone needs to spend some time with him and build his confidence. He may be a diamond in the rough. Defensively Jacob Howard and Raymond Grey make it happen. Jacob is possibly the hardest worker I ever had but for some reason a couple of players are a little jealous of his success. He earned it. No matter what what defense is run defensive ends will be the toughest spots to replace. Brad Collins and Dustin Bradford were a dandy pair of ends.

The thing I was excited about was the possibility of having two assistant coaches in the building. Todd Gilliland and Lance Davis. Todd stepped out of football a couple of years to get his masters but was coming back and was my choice to take over for me once I retired. Being the only teacher with coaching experience I thought that was natural. It is my belief that if you want to be a high school head coach you get a teaching degree, be an assistant, and when the opporunity arises apply for a job. Most of the coaches I had were never around until football started. That's what you miss when you don't have teachers as assistants. It will be interesting how the assistant coach situation pans out and if there's harmony there. Let me say this Dick Dunham, although not a teacher, was always a loyal friend and great assistant. I understand that two of my assistants last year would like to be head coach. If I were one of those guys I'd be in the weightroom now showing my leadership qualities. That would also show your dedication to the program.

The weight room is open. These kids know what they need to do to prepare. They should know that the team is more important than any coach or player. Due to spring sports the spring is always the worst time in the weight room. The sun shining and birds chirping also tempt kids to skip every now and then during the spring. If the kids have a new coach by the time spring sports is over I think they'll be ok. This is a confident and experienced team.

East will probably be a co-favorite with Oak Hill to win the league next year. The coach that does the best job should win this one. East is probably more talented than the rest of the teams in the league but better be prepared for Symmes Valley because they will be prepared for you. Manchester should be a win. I think East is more talented than South Gallia but again Justy Burleson does a nice job and could put an L on the Tartans if the coach doesn't have the boys prepared. Buffalo and Matewan will be hungry for revenge. Buffalo is traditionally a pretty good program and Matewan will have officials that like to flag the vistors. Expect a touchdown or two to be called back. Any coach could go 500 with this team. A good coach could run the table. Different coaching abilities could end up anywhere in between. I will be looking on with interest.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

ddavis wrote:I just wanted to let everyone know that there is a Sciotoville school board election coming up in June. Isn't it strange that nothing has been put in the paper about it. In order to run you must register by the end of this month and turn in so many signatures. I don't know how people are supposed to know this. There's only one week left in the month. Last August at a school board meeting I offered to pay to have Scioto County Election Board run the election but for some reason they want to run the election themselves. Isn't that strange? Maybe they'll put it in the paper the day after registration is closed. This will be the first time the board president has had to run. Midstream changes of rules has given him several uncontested years. Doesn't this sound like the type of elections that dictators run? I can't understand why my community goes along with this. Even if it were totally honest the perception of corruption is there. I heard absentee votes are to be turned into the office. I wonder who handles those? I'm sorry for using this forum like this but I'm hoping to shame these people into becoming a part of a democratic society.
I recieved a notice in the mail about four weeks ago.I'm not trying to start anything just want to say I read my mail every day.I don't read the news paper every day. I believe it is on the web site also.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

I have heard Coach Hall from Burg will be the new coach if so he is a great coach and will be good for the kids-----------but will he put the time in and care for them as Davis? NO![/quote]
Hall is a good man.Knows the game very well. True he might not do everything DD has done but your not going to find that in many coaches anyhow. We should be happy IF East gets a good coach like Hall. It would be better than getting a coach who don't know how to get the boys ready. IF Hall don't buy kids things they need to play I would think the boosters could or even local people could help. I just hope they get a good coach soon.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Another thing I would like to see the new do other than take the program to the next level is to also have some imput on the pee-wee program as well. That is also one thing that keeps a program on track is the pee-wee systems also run water down versions of what the high school teams run and slowly add on to it as they move up from 3rd-4th grade to 5th-6th and then to jr high that way by the time they get to high school they know the system.

Mr.1437
Waterboy

Post by Mr.1437 »

I'm a junior at east and like coach davis said we're going to be a good football team no matter who is coaching us but i dont think any of the players have accually voiced their oppinions on all of this so I'll try to do my best to speak for my teammates and myself no one is blamming coach davis for what he did none of us are holdong it against him like everyone has mentioned he is a great guy and would do anything for any of us it was jus a conflict of interest and he had to do what he felt was best for him and the people he cares about as for the new coach there has been a few names thrown around one being larry hall a great coach yes but right for east i dont think so i think we need some one who knows us how we play and will keep some of the same people around us but what ever they decide to do it needs to be soon there are only a select few in the weight room and with this being my senior year coming up I dont want to be a huge letdown[*]

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Who ever the new coach is I can see them keeping some of the staff that East had last year if they wanted to stay with the program, I could see Coach Hall doing that also along with bringing in a couple of his own coach's if hired. With it being in the paper yesterday, I can see a new coach being named before the end of next month if not by the middle of next month.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Why is it in the paper whan everyone already knows who the next coach is blue?

Return to “Football”