Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

Army
S

Re: Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

Post by Army »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:Army ...

I do not know what the disposition of this proposed league might be. I'm a little too swallowed up right now with rebuilding Sulsberger Stadium and my son's Legion baseball schedule to keep up with it. But I don't believe that it is a hot issue at the moment anyway.

I think I answered the Warren issue before -- could be of interest, but I don't know as they've been included in any formal discussions.

I would say this -- plot where the schools are on your maps, and then overlay the interstate highways. Most of them are fairly close to either I-70 or I-77. THAT is where this league would show some merit. If you're going to have to travel fairly long distances to play another school, it's far better to do it on interstates than otherwise. I think most of the SEOAL membership should be able to understand that. In our case, it's a much "easier" drive to Marietta than it is to almost all other league schools.

I think it is a better option for Marietta but who knows what the future will bring in this SEOAL? If we do go to a 6 team SEAOL, I know Chillicothe is located in the perfect position of the SEOAL Map, concerning travel.

I also think Warren should seek this option, if the other OVAC schools would be interested.

The miles concerning travel is based on map quest. WOW, I can't believe it is that far from Marietta to Ironton.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

And it strikes me it's not an "easy" trip, either.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

That would be easier on the body, especially for a team traveling in a cheesebox.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

You'd rather have an even number of teams in a league than an odd number. Having a 'league bye' during the latter weeks is not the easiest game to fill.

Army
S

Post by Army »

swamisez,

Has Marietta and Vincent Warren Local really pursued the TVC to try and convince the TVC the reality of what a 3-Division TVC could give the conference and SE-Ohio? Especially, like the three divisions mentioned with Marietta playing in what was called the (Muskingum Division)? At least I would try? :-D

I would try to add a sixth team to each division with the teams listed below each divisional make-up:

Muskingum Division
Marietta D2
Vincent Warren Local D3
The Plains Athens D3
Pomeroy Meigs D4 253 Boys (4 boys shy of being a D3 school)
McArthur Vinton County D3

1. Point Pleasant, WV (Class AA)
2. Parkersburg-South H.S., Parkersburg, WV (Class AAA)
3. Gallipolis (Gallia Academy) D4? Or D3 after there numbers mis-count in 2007?

Ohio Division
Wellston D4
Nelsonville-York D5
Albany Alexander D4
Stewart Federal Hocking D5
Belpre D5

1. Chesire River Valley D4

Hocking Division
Corning Miller D6
Glouster Trimble D6
Waterford D6
Reedsville Eastern Meigs D6
Racine Southern Meigs D6

1. Mercerville South Gallia D6
2. Wahama, WV (Class A)

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

Marietta does not have to leave the seaol to be competitive. They win the All-Sports Trophy almost every year. There sports program is plenty competitive.

Army
S

Post by Army »

It's not over competition, it's the mileage, travel and gas prices that will spark more conversations in the future.

Programs that might be cut or gutted due to high fuel prices, thus ending some sports progams, thus ending the chance to win that SEOAL Sports Trophy verses a closer league with easier travel opportunities. :-D

I might also add, Marietta did not win the trophy this year in the SEOAL :!: :-D

Final SEOAL All Sports Champion Standings 2007-08

1. Logan 89.5 points
2. Marietta 86
3. Chillicothe 85.5
4. Warren 84.5
5. Zanesville 72.5
6. Athens 69
7. Gallia Academy 67
8. Jackson 65
9. Ironton 46.5
10. Portsmouth 44.5

And....since this is a football forum, I would think that the Marietta Tigers just might benefit by seeking a closer league in that sport too :!: :-D

Return to “Football”