OVC PREDICTIONS

Who's going to win the OVC?

Total votes: 0

robycop3
All State

Re: OVC PREDICTIONS

Post by robycop3 »

Some folx might holler about the OVC teams having a "soft" schedule, but what's the use of having a conference if its teams don't play each other? Right now, every OVC team plays every other one in football, and usually twice in basketball. (I know this is a football forum, but OVC hoops is nothing to sneeze at.) 'Twasn't so long ago that Coal Grove & others were highly-respected football opponents.

Let's be realistic...the OVC doesn't have any Moellers or Massillons, but it DOES have six members who are quite competitive with each other in various sports, within the limits of the number of students at each school. If one wantsta see the "big boys", one has to go to where the big boys are.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

bLaCk-N-bLuE wrote:i believe the ovc will be competitive this year all the way around. anxious for it to get started.
as for ytb this is about ovc not ironton. ironton is a great program but you all run it in the ground too much
some times. by the way ytb you live in rh school district i believe and coached little league football
at rh and now on ironton bandwagon. i know you graduated from ironton but if you are so big on ironton
why don't u move to city and pay the taxes like all the true irontonians do.

the one thing you have stayed true to is them cincinnati bengals though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------BLACK AND BLUE. I'M NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS AN IRONTON FORUM.
okay, with that out of the way, yes, i graduated from ironton. and i love ironton football, they have such history, truley amazing. but i'm no bandwagon tiger fan, have been going to their games since birth, and played there till i blew my knee out. if i wanted to live in the city, i'd move. i love the country. been here 28 years. and yes, i've been abengals fan , since 1968. yes, i coached rock hill football for years, and absolutely love the kids here. there's not a week goes by , hat not at least one visits or spends the night here. and rock hill is my second favorite high school program. heck, i live here. and do pay my taxes, thank you. but i get sick of hearing ovc teams, when the tigers are down, saying we could have beaten ironton this year.

this will be my last post on this, so i hope i make myself clear. i'm simply saying . if winning the ovc, is the goal. keep doing what you are doing. this is to ALL OVC TEAMS. schedule some tougher opponents on non conference weeks. it does not have to be massillon washington. and yes, portsmouth west, and wheelersburg, are definately high quality wins. you'll find both are beasts. but the overall schedule strength, in the ovc. is bogey, at best. fairland, south point and rock hill all have more males than ironton. yet ironton's schedule is twice as hard, and they usually have a playoff appearence nearly every year. my point, their schedule prepares them for the playoffs. yes, we've had to sub-par years by ironton standards. but 2 years ago , we were 6-4, and made the playoffs, had westfall , by 2 td's. but lost a heartbreaker. that was just 1 year removed. the empire has not collapsed yet. in that span, only rock hill . from the ovc. made a playoff appearence. but being seeded 8th. had to try to corral number 1 seed. st. clairsville. who they simply could not compete with. same size school. but look at clairsvilles schedule. that is truley why the game was no contest. hell, i wanted rock hill, to win. i wanted them to win state. yet year after year, they keep compiling (the ovc) these weak schedules. and it's helping none of the teams.

my point in closing , pick a sport you like golf, pool. darts. if you are playing someone less talented , you will play to a similiar level. if you are playing a scratch golfer, or cornholer. your play will elavate . so's you don't get skunked. :122245 . my point schedule better, you'll play better. does this make sense to anyone out there. YOU SEE, I WANT THE OVC TO PROSPER, THEY ARE THE LEAGUE IN MY BACKYARD. I'M SIMPLY USING IRONTON AS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO BUILD A PROGRAM. please believe this is all i mean, by ironton being mentioned in this thread. i hope every ovc team, makes the playoffs this year, and of course i wish the same for ironton. everybody thinks i'm an ovc basher. i'm simply not. I JUST LIKE TO BUST LOGAN'S CHOPS. :aaaaa58

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I SAID THAT THIS WOULD BE MY LAST POST. BUT I FEEL I LEFT OUT PROGRAMS TEAMS COULD SCHEDULE AROUND HERE, OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.

waverly, chillicothe, gallipolis, newark catholic, russell, ky. portsmouth, ironton, portsmouth west, wheelersburg, columbus teams, cincy teams, dayton teams, any seoal team, just to name a few.

SportsMom
Freshman Team

Post by SportsMom »

WHO CARES WHAT THE TIGERS ARE OR AREN'T----JUST WISH ALL THE KIDS GOOD LUCK AND A GOOD SEASON!!!

osufan76
Waterboy

Post by osufan76 »

Amen....it really gets old seeing every OVC/Law. Co. team thread get hijacked into a chest thumping display by a CERTAIN Ironton poster. Really shows a lack of class imho.....Everyone from this part of the state knows all about Tiger HISTORY and their past exploits under the direction of Lutz....we don't need lessons crammed down our throats 24/7. Reading Ironton/SEOL threads, it comes off like posts from an individual from Logan.

osufan76
Waterboy

Post by osufan76 »

I think the OVC is W.I.D.E. open....I look at a 4 team race between CG/SP/RH/and Fairland. I think the Peake and RV can beat any of the top 4 but will struggle to beat more than 2 of them. I think this could be a year for a 3-way tie....no team looks to be head and shoulders above any other.

Of course, this is all pure speculation..by the time week 6 comes around this may all change....man, I love this time of the year!

SportsMom
Freshman Team

Post by SportsMom »

the ovc should be interesting this year!! But hopefully the hornets can make it their year!!! they have the talent to do it-if it's coached right!!! and if they want it bad enough!!! GO HORNETS!!!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Just looking at the schedules South Point probably has the toughest non league schedule of anybody in the OVC. In the past couple of years all the teams have been picking up the non league schedule in terms of competition. Kinda to echo YTB this helps not only in league play, but also when you get to the playoffs. In the past the non league games were mostly creampuffs which helped nobody.

Way its been going though its will probably come down to the week 10 to see who will pull out the league. My bet is on the Hornets. They got some athletes behind that big line.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

I Think you can go ahead and throw out YTB's comments on strengthening up the schedule. . thats just erroneous. . based simply on the fact that the OVC plays 5 in a row to finish the season. . .playing at peake and playing some ok teams the likes of portsmouth and wayne, who are both on par with ironton and coming to the playoffs only to see that. . . . .7 weeks later. . it doesnt matter. . .the OVC competition needed to be better to help in the playoffs. . . we and every other team just changes tooo much from the first 5 to the last 5. .

as far as scheduling there is only 1 clear answer. . . . schedule rivalries . . . wellston and jackson should not stop. . peake and symmes valley should not stop. . simply put and nobody can argue this. . and if you do your stupid. . i'm more their age than you more than likely. . . . .

schedule rivalries, pack the stands, have big games, and not an idiot for a coach, and better kids will show up, better kids mean better teams, thats how you make the playoffs with regularity. . . .if its cool to play football. . duh!!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:yes, i agree the burg, and west are quality opponents. but what about the rest of the schedule. yes, we have had 2 rebuilding years, as well as coaching changes, students that were starters transferring out. tell me where you are from. we can compare programs. unless you are from someplace like stuebenville catholic. might outta call it a night. come run with the big dogs. the SEOAL, is taking applications i hear. things will be back to normal this year, trust me young man. :122245

Of course they are taking apps, they have to be ready to fill the spot the tigers are wanting to give up because the competition is to tough. :-D

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

OVCfan32 wrote:I Think you can go ahead and throw out YTB's comments on strengthening up the schedule. . thats just erroneous. . based simply on the fact that the OVC plays 5 in a row to finish the season. . .playing at peake and playing some ok teams the likes of portsmouth and wayne, who are both on par with ironton and coming to the playoffs only to see that. . . . .7 weeks later. . it doesnt matter. . .the OVC competition needed to be better to help in the playoffs. . . we and every other team just changes tooo much from the first 5 to the last 5. .

as far as scheduling there is only 1 clear answer. . . . schedule rivalries . . . wellston and jackson should not stop. . peake and symmes valley should not stop. . simply put and nobody can argue this. . and if you do your stupid. . i'm more their age than you more than likely. . . . .

schedule rivalries, pack the stands, have big games, and not an idiot for a coach, and better kids will show up, better kids mean better teams, thats how you make the playoffs with regularity. . . .if its cool to play football. . duh!!

Yeah the OVC is a tough league that gets you prepared for the playoffs. Look at the playoff records of the OVC teams in teh past. Not very good. Take for instance in 2003 Chesy, Fairland, and Rock Hill all made the playoffs. Thats half the league. All three lost in 1st round by a combined score of 144-23. Hmmm thats not very good.

So the tougher your non conference games are the better prepared you will be for the upcoming league games and the playoffs. Also you will be in a better position to get in the playoffs from the points you get form beating better compeition in the non conference games.

Remember though all the teams are starting to step it up in non conference games so this now is becoming a non issue.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

2trap_4ever wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:yes, i agree the burg, and west are quality opponents. but what about the rest of the schedule. yes, we have had 2 rebuilding years, as well as coaching changes, students that were starters transferring out. tell me where you are from. we can compare programs. unless you are from someplace like stuebenville catholic. might outta call it a night. come run with the big dogs. the SEOAL, is taking applications i hear. things will be back to normal this year, trust me young man. :122245

Of course they are taking apps, they have to be ready to fill the spot the tigers are wanting to give up because the competition is to tough. :-D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DO YOU THINK IF THE LEAGUE FOLDS THEN, THAT IRONTON WOULD BE WELCOME IN THE OVC. THERE ARE AT LEAST ALREADY 3 SCHOOLS WITH LARGER MALE ENROLLMENT THAN IRONTON IN THERE. SO THIS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM, THEN YOU WOULD HAVE A 7 LEAGUE TEAM, YOUR THOUGHTS.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

OVCfan32 wrote:I Think you can go ahead and throw out YTB's comments on strengthening up the schedule. . thats just erroneous. . based simply on the fact that the OVC plays 5 in a row to finish the season. . .playing at peake and playing some ok teams the likes of portsmouth and wayne, who are both on par with ironton and coming to the playoffs only to see that. . . . .7 weeks later. . it doesnt matter. . .the OVC competition needed to be better to help in the playoffs. . . we and every other team just changes tooo much from the first 5 to the last 5. .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WHATS ERRONEOUS, IS TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF THIS REPLY. WE PLAY SEVEN LEAGUE GAMES IN A ROW TO FINISH , WHATS YOUR POINT. SURELY NOT THAT THE OVC SCHEDULE IS TOUGHER THAN FINISHING WITH THE LIKES OF LOGAN, PORTSMOUTH, GALLIPOLIS, JACKSON, ZANESVILLE, CHILLICOTHE, AND THE LIKE, TELL ME YOU ARE NOT GOING THERE. SCHEDULE JUST 1 OF THESE TEAMS DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. , PLEASE.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

MAKING THE PLAYOFFS REGULARLY. AND YOU ARE CALLING OUT IRONTON. HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE SIDE OF THEIR STADIUM, AND ALL THE YEARS THEY'VE BEEN TO THE PLAYOFFS--------PUH--LEEZE. :122246

osufan76
Waterboy

Post by osufan76 »

OMG....I think we have a reading problem at SEOPs....OVCfan32 was in no way putting down the Tigers...in fact he said that the OVC teams must improve to get a team ready for the post season. I believe he was talking of the Peake who played Portsmouth and Wayne, WV on their non-conference schedule only to have you(YTB) imply all OVC scheds are weak....

Take RH for example....they lost 3 games before the playoffs(2 OVC)....I think their schedule is fine the way it is....really in the honest to God truth....no team that loses 2 OVC games will ever do well in the state playoffs...it was just a bad year for the region that RH got in anyways. IMHO....I do not want to see any OVC team play in this Region 15 if they lose more than 1 OVC game(and that team better be playoff bound too)!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

AFTER YOU CRAWLED OUT FROM UNDER THE BRIDGE, YOU ARE NOW STARTING TO SEEMINGLY COME AROUND. yes, last year our region was pityfully weak. ironton had an opp. to get in if they won any of their last 3 games. but unfortunately they closed with the likes of PORTSMOUTH, ZANESVILLE , AND LOGAN. just could not pull it off last year. but there have to be rebuilding years sometimes. sorry i can't hardly see. ovc, and 2trap are just playing as you are, as i am. we all know if they don't improve schedule strength in the ovc, the league is the only thing to hope for, and that's great. but the fan's and players want more. it's human nature.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
2trap_4ever wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DO YOU THINK IF THE LEAGUE FOLDS THEN, THAT IRONTON WOULD BE WELCOME IN THE OVC. THERE ARE AT LEAST ALREADY 3 SCHOOLS WITH LARGER MALE ENROLLMENT THAN IRONTON IN THERE. SO THIS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM, THEN YOU WOULD HAVE A 7 LEAGUE TEAM, YOUR THOUGHTS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2TRAP4EVER, ARE YOU ASLEEP. DON'T YOU THINK THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS WOULD FIT RIGHT IN , IN THE OVC. IF THE SEOAL FOLDS. WE COULD JUST KEEP THE TROPHY. YOU DO GIVE AWAY TROPHIES RIGHT, JUSS PLAYIN, JUSS LIKE YOU ARE. BOYS WILL BE BOYS. I LOVE THIS STUFF. :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57 :aaaaa57 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa5 :aaaaa5 :aaaaa5

osufan76
Waterboy

Post by osufan76 »

Again...I say...non-league had nothing to do with RH last season(more like losing 2 OVC games). You can preach all you want about non league scheds in the OVC but until I see a 10-0 OVC team get man handled in the playoffs its all a bogus assumption on your part.

I put it this way.....OVC teams are not strong playoff contenders right now....maybe once in a while one of these teams will catch lighting in a bottle but the talent level is not always there on a year to year basis.

Now, look at the rest of the area.....in the last 5 years....how many teams have made it past the 2nd round? Portsmouth had a very solid team last season...tested hard in the regular season...only to lose in the 2nd round....last time Ironton made it, they got beat in the 2nd round.....the Burg lost a 1st round game on their home field 2 years ago. Jackson alwats gets knocked out early as well as Logan and Gallipolis. So tell me, do these teams need to improve their schedules? Talent in southern Ohio< talent in Northern Ohio.....argue that.

osufan76
Waterboy

Post by osufan76 »

YTB....why do you want to see Ironton in the OVC if it is so weak? 10 years from now, you may get your wish. Ironton is not the same old Ironton....10 years it will be painfully obvious.....

Return to “Football”