Will Unioto leave the SVC?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Will Unioto leave the SVC?

Post by Poo Bear »

wrestlefan wrote:Im glad the svc isnt changing. It is a stable league that doesn't need fixed. Why mess with it?
Agree 100%

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

If you read Dave Shoemakers letter in the gazette, that question is addressed.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

I think the SVC is making a huge mistake by not considering these additions. If Unioto is not ready to make a move they could leave the current SVC in tack and add the other 6 schools and put in a large division. With the additions of the 6 would give the SVC a hold on what may happen in the future. Dave Shoemaker's letter made some good points for kids to possible participate in sports not offered by the current SVC. Swimming and lacrosse are examples of sports not offered by the SVC that could now be an option. Wrestling is growing in the SVC and with the addition of the 6 could give better recognition to the league.
I would guess that within 5 years if the 6 were added that Unioto would better see the competitive advantage of moving to the Larger Division. Also, realignment could happen within the league in 10years if say Westfall and Zane Trace had large growth you could move schools within the 2 divisions.

I understand the hesitation of the current SVC but looking long term I believe it will be something the current SVC will regret.
Instead in saying they have no interest they should have tabled the option for a month and looked at the current, short term and long term effects.

I have seen where SVC is a stable league that does not need fixed. Today yes. In the past I have heard of talk that someday Paint Valley would probably need to consolidate into Unioto and Adena. Today no but what happens 10 years down the line. I have heard the same talk in the past that Huntington would consolidate into Chillicothe, Southeastern and Waverly. Again today no. In times when school funding is an issue for the current SVC to shut its door I think is something it will regret.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

I can certainly understand not wanting to add 6-8 teams to the league all at once, but to not consider adding Waverly is insane. Waverly brings first rate facilities, SVC level competition and a geographically friendly location to other league teams.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

When looking at the possibility of SVC expansion, I know Waverly is always looked at 1st and rightfully so, but another team I think could be looked at, especially if the new league and the SVC would merge later on down the road, is Wellston being just a little smaller than Westfall and Zane Trace. I doubt they leave the TVC anytime soon and I think they should stay in the TVC, but they ought to be given a look for a large SVC division or a merged league or conference that would involve Waverly and Unioto.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Let me see if I have this straight, 5 members of the SCOL wanted Jackson, the other 3 Clinton county schools did not. So these 5 schools leave the SCOL and tell Jackson come with us to start a new league, or lets just ask the SVC to add us! lol The most stable league in this area now gives away 6 votes to teams that have proven they dont stay very long where they are (Chillicothe 3 leagues 10 years!) Whats to stop these 5 schools from jumping ship in the future, or some of them and now the most stable league in the area is in disarray just like the SCOL, SEOAL!

You must have an even number per division to make leagues work at their best. With 7 or 9 teams, you have bye weeks in your league football schedule, ask the SOC II how hard it is to find non league games in weeks 7-10! Also, you now have 8 schools that get along, the administrations and athletic departments, but you add those other 6 schools, and now instead of 6 out of 8 votes to make changes, you are looking at 11 out of 14, with 3 being new members of your league.

I would think if the 6 schools wanting in are so great, and offer such tremendous facilities and competition, other local similar sized schools would be knocking down their doors to join with them!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

king kong wrote:Let me see if I have this straight, 5 members of the SCOL wanted Jackson, the other 3 Clinton county schools did not. So these 5 schools leave the SCOL and tell Jackson come with us to start a new league, or lets just ask the SVC to add us! lol The most stable league in this area now gives away 6 votes to teams that have proven they dont stay very long where they are (Chillicothe 3 leagues 10 years!) Whats to stop these 5 schools from jumping ship in the future, or some of them and now the most stable league in the area is in disarray just like the SCOL, SEOAL!

You must have an even number per division to make leagues work at their best. With 7 or 9 teams, you have bye weeks in your league football schedule, ask the SOC II how hard it is to find non league games in weeks 7-10! Also, you now have 8 schools that get along, the administrations and athletic departments, but you add those other 6 schools, and now instead of 6 out of 8 votes to make changes, you are looking at 11 out of 14, with 3 being new members of your league.

I would think if the 6 schools wanting in are so great, and offer such tremendous facilities and competition, other local similar sized schools would be knocking down their doors to join with them!
Those are all great points and I'm
Sure that factored into the decision to decline the offer . The svc is a great league .

Daryl Dixon
Waterboy

Post by Daryl Dixon »

Good call by the SVC brass, there is a reason why we are the most stable league in southern Ohio. And the leadership of this conference is the reason.

Best of luck to the new league.
Even though I have no dog in the fight
It's good to see Jackson having a conference to call home.

Let's keep the dialog open,
It is in the SVC best interest for this new league to be successful
for we never know what tomorrow may bring.

Currently Unioto is not ready for such a move but in 4 years it may be a total different situation.
And 4 years of stability by the new league will go along way in getting new school districts to take a look at joining the conference.

The waiting list to join the SVC just seems to grow each year.
Waverly is setting in the cat bird seat if an opening happens
But I have also heard folks from Vinton County, Eastern, Wellston and even Amanda Clear Creek mention how they would like to be part of the SVC if an opening would arise.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

I have to agree the SVC is very stable and making no move changes nothing and why fix what is not broken. I get all this.

When the new league forms then the possibility for a merger with the SVC all but goes away. Yes there are schools that would like to join the SVC besides the 6. That why in the long tern the SVC should go ahead make a move now.

Let the current 8 schools operate as usual and form the new division with the other 6. Let the New Division learn how the SVC has become very stable and build the traditions between those 6 schools- 5 have been build but add Jackson to the mix.

In 5 years re-evaluate the league situation. If the New Division is not happy let them go on their own but my guess is with the stability everything falls into place. After 5 years I am betting Unioto is wanting to move up to larger division and your have schools still knocking down the door to join the SVC.

With the current 8 team SVC I think in 5 years you will see Unioto, Westfall and Zane Trace being a bit larger then current enrollment. Piketon, Southeastern and Huntington with a small growth- Piketon could be hurt by enrichment plant closure. Adena and Paint Valley will little growth and may become smaller. I think the enrollment between the top and bottom become more than it is now over the next 5 years.

If in 5 years any of the current SVC schools would want to make a move it would drastically change the league by way of scheduling.

I just think the SVC is missing out on a huge opportunity they will regret 5-10 years from now. I may be wrong thou.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

So let me get this straight. The SVC declines the addition of 5 larger schools to form a big school division with unioto and it's a good, smart move. The TVC does the same thing with VC and Athens and it's a terrible move only driven by the fact that they're scared? Haha

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Sooo petty.... Let it go

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

Why would the ability to do something different with the svc go away? Teams are going to continue wanting to be a part of the most stable league in southern ohio. Heck, the svc has to be one of the more stable leagues in ohio

Return to “Football”