top five high school rivals

GAHS8610
Waterboy

Re: top five high school rivals

Post by GAHS8610 »

There are definately long running rivalries but they also go in spurts. GAHS and Logan were definately rivals in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. 10 years doesnt make it a rivalry , I know, but it feels like it to the players in those years.

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

green and symmes valley have had some heated games

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

Tobias wrote:
BigTime wrote:1. Portsmouth vs Ironton 114 gms PHS-56, Ironton-51, and 7 ties(without a doubt)
2. Portmouth vs Chilly 64 gms PHS-42, Chilly 21, and 1 tie
3. Portsmouth vs WBurg 27 gms PHS-11, WBurg - 16
4. Portsmouth vs West 25 gms PHS-18, WEST - 7
5. Ironton vs WBurg
6. West vs WBurg

These stats are based on the PHS football program. WBurg is the only rival that holds a winning record against PHS.

http://www.irontonfootball.com/history2 ... Portsmouth

Portsmouth leads series over Ironton -- 54-52-8.
There seems to be a difference of record based on which school delivers the numbers. I just went by the Portsmouth football program. Either way Burg is the only rival of ours that has a winning record against us. Thanks for the info Tobias

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Aberdeen High School (Aberdeen, WA) Hoquiam High School (Hoquiam, WA) 62-35-5 1906 The oldest high school football rivalry in the state of Washington.

My Kids are Hoquiam Grizzlies. This game has on average 7,000 people in attendance every year. The 100 year game was upwards of 12,000 on hand. Pretty dang good crowd for a H.S. game!

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan »

Fuzzhead,

Truly spoken like someone that has never played a down in the Rock Hill/Coal Grove game. :-D

I know personally from speaking to my friends from the Grove who played in the RH/CG that they have a different view on this game.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

No Chesapeake v Fairland? Really?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

OVCfan wrote:Fuzzhead,

Truly spoken like someone that has never played a down in the Rock Hill/Coal Grove game. :-D

I know personally from speaking to my friends from the Grove who played in the RH/CG that they have a different view on this game.

Hey, if it gets Coal Grove fired up and ensures they don't overlook the opponent, so be it. . . I really don't care who says what. The game is only a "rivalry" because (a) mediocre Coal Grove teams want to have something to hang their hat on and (b) Rock Hill fans are traditionally known in the Grove to be classless and downright rude (my junior year, after Coal Grove thumped Rock Hill, a bunch of Hillians took it upon themselves to egg cars in the CG high school parking lot that spring). Now I've never met a person from Rock Hill I didn't like.
There's more bad blood (especially in this decade and the 70's) between South Point and Coal Grove. . . and there's almost always more at stake in the game.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

2trap_4ever wrote:I can't believe this,,,you realize not putting Ironton vs. Portsmouth you are opening yourself up to the Ironton fans.

i agree. you also can't forget burg-west, burg-ironton, burg-ports and burg-minford

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

BigTime wrote:1. Portsmouth vs Ironton 114 gms PHS-56, Ironton-51, and 7 ties(without a doubt)
2. Portmouth vs Chilly 64 gms PHS-42, Chilly 21, and 1 tie
3. Portsmouth vs WBurg 27 gms PHS-11, WBurg - 16
4. Portsmouth vs West 25 gms PHS-18, WEST - 7
5. Ironton vs WBurg
6. West vs WBurg

These stats are based on the PHS football program. WBurg is the only rival that holds a winning record against PHS.

burg is 5-13 against ironton and 29-19-2 against west. burg is 17-11 against ports

http://football.burgfan.com/Tradition/R ... ponent.htm

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
2trap_4ever wrote:I can't believe this,,,you realize not putting Ironton vs. Portsmouth you are opening yourself up to the Ironton fans.

i agree. you also can't forget burg-west, burg-ironton, burg-ports and burg-minford

Yeah dont forget burg-undy either!!....... :roll: :lol:

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I have to add Miami Trace vs Washington CH. I know some will say they are not in Southeastern Ohio but they are both in the Southeast District.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I don't know where these would fall among all southern Ohio rivalries according to everyone else, but these three games are definitely Jackson's biggest games every year against their longest standing rivals.

Jackson-Wellston...99 games

Jackson leads the series 67-26-6 (Jackson has won 18 in a row...This year will be the 100th meeting according to Jackson's Football History Book)

** Some of the earliest games may have been between Jackson and the Wellston YMCA

Jackson-Logan...88 games

Logan leads the series 44-40-4 (Logan is currently on a 2 game winning streak)

Jackson-GAHS...93 games

GAHS leads the series 48-38-7 (The series was nearly dead even before GAHS's recent run, winning 10 of the last 11 games, including last year)
Last edited by ironman02 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

4ever,

How far back do your numbers for the Jackson-GAHS rivalry go?

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

I know that neither exist any more but back in the day Kyger Creek and North Gallia would have to be added to the list. Often they played for the league championship and the games were always a battle. Ironic that RV, which was formed from these two football schools along with Southwestern, has struggled to compete when both were once so powerful.

Purple Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Purple Gold »

It usually doesn't mean anything but school pride but Southern v/s Eastern.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Gallipolis vs. Pt. Pleasant, W. Va. Teams have played each since the early 1900s.

Gallipolis leads the all-time series since 1925 with 40 wins, 34 losses and five ties. Did not play from 1967 to 1977, and after playing on Thanksgiving for several years, no game was played in 1940. A makeup game was played in 1944 when the two met twice in one year during WWII.

Due to scheduling problems, the two teams will not meet this year for the first time since 1977.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Isn't Gallia Academy/Ironton a pretty old one?

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

gahs 4ever,

Yes, 1928 was counted as a double forfeit due to ineligible players.

I figured that your records didn't go back as far as mine, but I just wanted to make sure. It's not uncommon to find discrepancies when dealing with high school football records, as I'm sure you know. Jackson began playing football in 1898 and played Gallipolis for the first time in 1914 according to my records. There were several years before SEOAL play began that Jackson and Gallipolis played multiple times in a single season, even playing three games in 1915. Things like that, along with the fact that my records go back a little further, would account for the discrepancy. I can type up my records for the Jackson-GAHS series and send them to you and Jottings if you would like. Just let me know.

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

piketon vs waverly
piketon vs zane trace
piketon vs adena

buckeye83
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye83 »

odessa permian & midland lee [tx.]