SOC2 Minford (5-1) @ Portsmouth West (5-1)

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Re: SOC2 Minford (5-1) @ Portsmouth West (5-1)

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

The young kids at West are hitting their stide. I really think minford is going to struggle with west this week. They haven't quite seen a talent like #8 this year. If you remember last year he was carrying minford defenders with him everytime he touched it. I will say 28-14 West.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

this will be west toughest game this year, if they dont let Murphy run the ball more,they cant win.

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

sportsfan43,

yes, This is gonna be a tough game. And yes Murphy will get carries along with the other backs. West looked really good and balanced friday night. But, Pendleton is a rare talent for our area. He seems to play his best games against tough competition. Which, I think is the mark of a great player. I'm sure minford is going to see a healthy dose of #8 Friday night.

THE G.O.A.T.
Freshman Team

Post by THE G.O.A.T. »

sportsfan43 wrote:this will be west toughest game this year, if they dont let Murphy run the ball more,they cant win.

Btw, Wasn't you the one that said the other backs don't block for murphy. And somehow the line forgets to block when he gets it. Well obviously you haven't played much football or watched west much this year. Pendelton is blowing people up lead blocking. Friday night if you watch the film he was buckling waverly linebackers in the hole. And to say the line just forgets to block his dumb. The line was inexperienced early in the year. I knew it was going to take a few games to get settled in. Varsity football is played at a different speed than most of these kids were used to playing. They have adjusted well, and are really using all that strength and ability now as the game has slowed way down for them. Friday nights game against waverly was really impressive by those big young lineman on each side. The line surge was as good as it was all last season. West has really got something special going on over there. i think with that early loss to Portsmouth, It has helped the young men, really focus in what they are trying to accomplish.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

THE G.O.A.T. wrote:
sportsfan43 wrote:this will be west toughest game this year, if they dont let Murphy run the ball more,they cant win.

Btw, Wasn't you the one that said the other backs don't block for murphy. And somehow the line forgets to block when he gets it. Well obviously you haven't played much football or watched west much this year. Pendelton is blowing people up lead blocking. Friday night if you watch the film he was buckling waverly linebackers in the hole. And to say the line just forgets to block his dumb. The line was inexperienced early in the year. I knew it was going to take a few games to get settled in. Varsity football is played at a different speed than most of these kids were used to playing. They have adjusted well, and are really using all that strength and ability now as the game has slowed way down for them. Friday nights game against waverly was really impressive by those big young lineman on each side. The line surge was as good as it was all last season. West has really got something special going on over there. i think with that early loss to Portsmouth, It has helped the young men, really focus in what they are trying to accomplish.

well said. I really like how the team is coming together. It was a team effort friday. A very balanced attack. It looked like they were really having fun. Murphy had a really nice game. He ran hard and had 2 or 3 td's. Offensive line is gelling and were getting a tremendous surge up front. Big #55 is really coming into his own which takes this team to another level. Thompson ran the ball awsome. Ratliff is really becoming a leader and is showing a tremendous amount of poise for a sophomore.

Don't pay attention to posts like that above. Their just trying to cause problems.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Key for Minford this week, as it is for evrey team playing west, will be to limit the run game. I say limit because I don't think anyone will completely shut down their run game. If Minford can hold Pendleton and Co. to about 250 rushing yards or less I like their chances a lot, if it goes much over that though Minford will have their hands full.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

If West can win this game, sky is the limit. You give a team this young and this talented that much confidence, they could march into week 11 with a 9-1 record, another gold football, and a home playoff game...and not trying to be cocky, because they haven't won anything yet, but if they win Soc this year, I don't see anyone besides them getting one for the next 3-4 years, because they have a lot of talent coming up...anyway, before I get carried away...I think that both of these teams should be 6-0...West was better than Portsmouth, Minford was better than Oak Hill...I was at both of those gamesjust my opinion, and if West can come out of the gate fired up like last year, then I don't see the Falcons being able to bottle them up...Also, this game has developed into somewhat of a rivalry, especially after the 2007 game when Minford punched another touchdown in with with time expiring...theres a lot of bad blood in this game still, some of those players from that game will be on this field...It will a be good one

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

sider wrote:If West can win this game, sky is the limit. You give a team this young and this talented that much confidence, they could march into week 11 with a 9-1 record, another gold football, and a home playoff game...and not trying to be cocky, because they haven't won anything yet, but if they win Soc this year, I don't see anyone besides them getting one for the next 3-4 years, because they have a lot of talent coming up...anyway, before I get carried away...I think that both of these teams should be 6-0...West was better than Portsmouth, Minford was better than Oak Hill...I was at both of those gamesjust my opinion, and if West can come out of the gate fired up like last year, then I don't see the Falcons being able to bottle them up...Also, this game has developed into somewhat of a rivalry, especially after the 2007 game when Minford punched another touchdown in with with time expiring...theres a lot of bad blood in this game still, some of those players from that game will be on this field...It will a be good one

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Laugh all you want, its just my opinion,I watched both the games thats how I feel, I didn't say it was a fact...I think if you replayed those games they would have different outcomes

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

sider wrote:If West can win this game, sky is the limit. You give a team this young and this talented that much confidence, they could march into week 11 with a 9-1 record, another gold football, and a home playoff game...and not trying to be cocky, because they haven't won anything yet, but if they win Soc this year, I don't see anyone besides them getting one for the next 3-4 years, because they have a lot of talent coming up...anyway, before I get carried away...I think that both of these teams should be 6-0...West was better than Portsmouth, Minford was better than Oak Hill...I was at both of those gamesjust my opinion, and if West can come out of the gate fired up like last year, then I don't see the Falcons being able to bottle them up...Also, this game has developed into somewhat of a rivalry, especially after the 2007 game when Minford punched another touchdown in with with time expiring...theres a lot of bad blood in this game still, some of those players from that game will be on this field...It will a be good one

Please tell me you don't think scoring another TD with two minutes and something left to make it a 28-7 win is running up the score. I'll never forget when your coach got on the radio after that and complained we ran the score up on them. If you have the chance to score late to put the game absoltuely out of reach that's what you do, simple as that. I gurantee any SOC school would have done the same thing.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I was at the 28-7 game and no Minford's coach didn't run up the score. Minford was all set to take a knee and West's pulls their typical nonsense when they lose a game and started throwing cheap shots. Minford's QB went to take a knee and his head was twisted around due to a Personal Foul Facemask. After this occured, that's only when Minford decided to punch in another score. If it was me, I would have gone for 2 after the TD, kicked an onside kick, and started throwing deep if I recovered.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

28-14 west.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Vladimir wrote:I was at the 28-7 game and no Minford's coach didn't run up the score. Minford was all set to take a knee and West's pulls their typical nonsense when they lose a game and started throwing cheap shots. Minford's QB went to take a knee and his head was twisted around due to a Personal Foul Facemask. After this occured, that's only when Minford decided to punch in another score. If it was me, I would have gone for 2 after the TD, kicked an onside kick, and started throwing deep if I recovered.

I think that is the thing I'm most proud of about this team. You don't see that stuff any more. They came back in games several times this year in which I don't think they ever would have before. It used to be, we hope we can win. Now they EXPECT to win.

The Minford/Burg game was on last night but I only got to see the last quarter. Minford isn't real big, but their gritty. Burg was alot bigger and really driving them off the ball. Minford has a nice offense. Quick. Oesch is a good QB. Both defenses may struggle to stop each other. Last one to get the ball may win. Last year West possessed the ball so long that their conditioning really showed in the 4th quarter. I would like to see that again.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Vladimir wrote:I was at the 28-7 game and no Minford's coach didn't run up the score. Minford was all set to take a knee and West's pulls their typical nonsense when they lose a game and started throwing cheap shots. Minford's QB went to take a knee and his head was twisted around due to a Personal Foul Facemask. After this occured, that's only when Minford decided to punch in another score. If it was me, I would have gone for 2 after the TD, kicked an onside kick, and started throwing deep if I recovered.

Now thats funny!

I guess that West's coach was irate after the game since Minford scored late.....but I felt it was needed to punch in the last TD after those cheap shots. To their credit, I think that particular kid was pulled out of the game. I know that this is something that West's new coach doesnt tolerate.

"Why did I go for two? Because they wouldnt let me go for three!" -Woody Hayes

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

It's the same coach Bleeding Red and you're right, he doesn't tolerate much grab-assin' Minford better bring it because they only beat west on average about once a decade. Minford has won 3 times on the Westside in 40 plus years (91,99,07) and no more then 6 times overall. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mohawk
Waterboy

Post by Mohawk »

I'll go with minford in this one 35-14

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The Oaf wrote:It's the same coach Bleeding Red and you're right, he doesn't tolerate much grab-assin' Minford better bring it because they only beat west on average about once a decade. Minford has won 3 times on the Westside in 40 plus years (91,99,07) and no more then 6 times overall. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The important thing is that Minford is 1-0 at West since 2007......their last trip.....hopefully 2-0 after Friday night

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Bleeding Red wrote:
The Oaf wrote:It's the same coach Bleeding Red and you're right, he doesn't tolerate much grab-assin' Minford better bring it because they only beat west on average about once a decade. Minford has won 3 times on the Westside in 40 plus years (91,99,07) and no more then 6 times overall. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The important thing is that Minford is 1-0 at West since 2007......their last trip.....hopefully 2-0 after Friday night

Could very well happen, Falcons are a tough bunch this year!

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Tell the minford coaches to put extra air in their helmets (if they still have air helmets! Just referring to my age lol) Win or lose You know this..... West is going to hit you hard and hit you all night... And with Murphy and "The Beast" running downhill they better be ready for 4 quarters of hardnosed West football. West has everything to gain. Everyone including myself thought they would be a 600 or 700 team this year. I say this, wow!!!! Minford plays good defense. Good open field tackling up field. I know they are tired of hearing it but, when they tackle #8 it better be a group effort. I have heard the comparisons between him and the Burg kid. Shank is a really good back great speed and vision but you are not tackling him this week. It is going to be an awesome Friday night football atmosphere at the Rock. SOC here we come!

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

west will not lose at the rock 22-20 west.

Return to “Football”