Waverly 3-4 vs Wheelersburg 5-2

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: Waverly 3-4 vs Wheelersburg 5-2

Post by Mad-Dogg »

demaniac1 wrote:Masseyratings says Burg 41-17. Dont believe it myself. If Malone is back, could be trouble. No film on him in games so far this year? Someone can tell me if he's played at all after week one.

And yes it WILL probably rain.

very interesting about the ratings.

wk 1 - they had us losing 25-18 (we lost 24-8)
wk 3 - they had us winning 21-15 (we won 68-14)
wk 4 - they had us losing 29-22 (we won 45-21)
wk 6 - they had us winning 29-15 (we lost 16-15)

brhs07
Waterboy

Post by brhs07 »

Burg rolls in this one

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

Burg Grad,

The hurricane game was in 1989. Every other game in the area was cancelled due to the atrocious weather coming from Hurricane Hugo. It was absolutely miserable to try to throw the ball that night...impossible! Waverly fumbled the opening kickoff, and it pretty much got worse from there. It was smart for Burg to play that game that night, but I wish we would have at least played on a decent track. I think it would have been a much different game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I believe that was the night that Waverly's QB, D.R. Robinson threw a pass and the wind blew it right back to him. Craziest thing that I had ever seen on a football field.

If I remember correctly, there wasn't any lightning that night, just mainly wind and rain. If Waverly would have been smart, they would have cancelled school on that Friday and if they have that no school, no game policy, they could have used that. IMO it was smart out of the Pirates to play that game. They were a running team and Waverly was a passing team. Makes sense to me. I believe that game ended up 14-7

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Wheelersburg in a cakewalk

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

Yabba,

I agree, it was smart out of Ed Miller to play that game. We played the year before at Waverly (basically the same teams) and beat them in a dogfight. They scored 4 TD's (no extra points) and we scored 3 TD's (with 3 two pt. conversions) and kicked a 37 yd. FG as time ran out to win for the first time since 1969. There wasn't any lightning, but I've never seen that much water on a football field...EVER!!! I don't remember a pass coming back to me in the wind, but I sure wouldn't be surprised. It was the most severe conditions I've ever played in without a doubt. But, to give the Pirates credit, they had an awful good football team that year. They went 14-0 and were state champions.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I thought for sure it came back to you because we were standing on the hill on the end closest to the scoreboard endzone and after it happened the refs didn't know what to do. I think they eventually spotted the ball where you got tackled at.

If it wasn't you, it came back to someone. It was a little touch pass and the wind brought it straight back. I wonder what the call would have been if it had blown back over your head, is that considered a backwards pass and is therefore a live ball?

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Malone played in the first 3 games, he probably shouldnt play this week but knowing him he will if at all possible, the kid has serious heart.
My only question is who calls the O-Plays for Waverly, in the stands we just call him FADE cause thats the only play he calls!!!!!! 1st and ten to 4th and one its about 50-50 that it will be a fade lol.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I see the Burg using alot of subs in this one. Burg's playoff ticket is about to be punched.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

i have a sense that the two MVP's for waverly will be back ----if not both then at lest one will be in full force. keep a level head and work hard this week. u never know what to expect out of waverly. they always have a lot of really good players, just have trouble getting everyone on the same page week in and week out.

Bushy Tail Butcher
Freshman Team

Post by Bushy Tail Butcher »

The Burg keeps it rolling in this one. I don't care who Waverly has playing, I don't see them beating The Burg at The Burg. If the coaches turn Shank lose, he might have 300 yards in the first half. That's not counting yards on kick off returns. The Burg's D-fense is to strong, to fast, and to hungry, for Waverly to be able to handle.

The Burg keeps rolling, right into the play-offs!!!!!!

The Burg 42
Waverly 7

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

crazymidgets wrote:Malone played in the first 3 games, he probably shouldnt play this week but knowing him he will if at all possible, the kid has serious heart.
My only question is who calls the O-Plays for Waverly, in the stands we just call him FADE cause thats the only play he calls!!!!!! 1st and ten to 4th and one its about 50-50 that it will be a fade lol.

I agree with the playcalling. It kind of makes sense to me to call a fade route when you have a 6'5" WR on one side and a 6'4" WR on the other side...both who can jump...both who have great hands...and both who are being defended by 5'9" cornerbacks. The quarterback needs to give them a chance to catch the football by keeping it in bounds and putting some air under it. There are other recievers in the play, too, not just the ones running the fade. They obviously can't run the ball very well. What would you suggest?
Last edited by Ace on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly's O-line did a great job against Valley in the mud, had ALL day to throw the ball. The "lob" was there all night.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Well ace or is this FADE, last week was the first time youve had 2 big receivers to throw the FADE to, and actually the Line has done a pretty good job of run blocking in my opinion and to limit yourself to just using 5 yrds either side of the field and not using the whole field all game well just sounds stupid, especially having a young qb like last week, myself I would have tried to establish the run setting up playaction but thats just me, looked like we could have just lined it up against valley and ran at will, and especially on the 1st and goal from the 3 to just line it up big with the 3 backs and Krezter at the TE spot would probably have been a safer choice with a young qb especially. But hey what do I know, you watch the games and you see the middle of the field open all day just waiting for a middle screen or a seam pass but its just fade 1st down 2nd down fullback read option 3rd down fade 4th down even if its 4th and 1 its a FADE I mean we never just try to get a first down if its a 3rd and 5 we throw a 30 yard pass. There is nothing wrong with first downs it doesnt have to be a touchdown on every play, which for the last few weeks touchdowns have been in short supply so evidently the FADE isnt working.

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

I'm not Waverly's offensive coordinator, even though it kind of made it look that way in my last post. Sorry for the confusion. I edited it. I see the game from the stands just like you. I was just saying that it kind of makes sense to call a fade to big WRs against small DBs. They just have to be given a chance to catch the ball. According to the Chillicothe Gazette, Waverly only gained 54 rushing yards. How is that good run blocking? I don't think a middle screen would've been a good play considering Valley had four linebackers sitting there and they weren't rushing hard. The field conditions didn't allow for them to pin their ears back and come hard. I believe every pass play has WRs at different levels. It's up to the QB to read the defense and determine where to throw the ball. I thought the QB did a pretty decent job considering the circumstances. He will get better with experience. When has Waverly ever thrown a fade on 4th and 1? I've also noticed that Roback always keeps it in those situations.

preps_fan1980
Freshman Team

Post by preps_fan1980 »

go burg!

Bdog_198807
Varsity

Post by Bdog_198807 »

Weather.com says its gonna be real cold maybe even some snow wonder how that will play in on DA BURG? GO PIRATES!!!!

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Just pushing buttons on the 4-1 only because the play calls never go for just getting a first down its always everything or nothing, sorry but myself a jump ball is just not a good offense, should be a play that is set up, used after you establish something.
Qb did ok, was put in a tough spot, wet ball in the shotgun, having to read the defensive end, Valley having their ears pinned back, rolling him out into the outside linebackers who were playing containment just like West did, which I believe opens up the seam? same as when we played Jackson.
Running on 2nd and ten doesnt give you very many chances to run the ball ? it leaves you in a passing situation on 3rd down and 5-7, and only once did they line up in a basic I formation, if you looked over at the Valley sidelines you would have seen that they didnt have any dirty jerseys over there which means they didnt have depth and were going both ways the whole game, myself I at the least try to pound it but again thats just me.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

bdog_198807 wrote:Weather.com says its gonna be real cold maybe even some snow wonder how that will play in on DA BURG? GO PIRATES!!!!

I don't know how it will affect the Burg, but West might have to postpone thiers until Saturday. :mrgreen:

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think the field is gonna take a beating in the next week, starting with homecoming tomorrow night.

Mon. - home soccer tournament game
Wed. - home soccer tournament (if they beat West Mon.)
Fri. - home vs. Valley
Sat. - Super Sunday (2 pee wee football games)

Gonna be a busy couple of weeks at Ed Miller Stadium

GO PIRATES!!!!!!

Return to “Football”