Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

marshallman
Varsity

Re: Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

Post by marshallman »

Minford has got to move the chains and keep the burgs offense off the field but you can't run, run, run all the time, the coaches have got to mix it up and keep them off balance. Minford has made some bad turnovers at the burg in the past that would lead to a short field for the burg to score so it is very important not to turn the ball over. Minfords D must keep burg QB bottled up and force bad throws. if this happens it will come down to Special teams. Burg has not done well on kick off coverage and I like Minfords field goal kicker 40 yards and in. I'm looking for Minford to hang around and win it on a field goal 24-21.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I am looking forward to taking this one in with my wife (Burg Alumni) and dad (Minford Alum - But defiantly a Valley fan).

I don't think there is any doubt Minford can play with the Pirates but I feel like they need to control the clock score when they have chances. The Falcons will have trouble if they miss tackles in space and give up big plays on the perimeter.

Control the ball and control the clock and Minford will be in this one late.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

I dont know how many people are giving Minford a chance to win, but I am convinced they are gonna win this game. The Pirates have been talked about enough.....like always. Minford knows what they have to do to beat the Pirates and they will punch the burg in the mouth and ball control all night, the only question would be turnovers. Other than Ironton, who has the burg played that is any good. Everyone wants to talk about Valley and Minford's schedule, but who did the burg beat that is actually any good. Cant wait for this game....I think the falcons are gonna slow down that spread and hopefully force a few bad decisions from the quarterback and control the line of scrimmage on offense. Go Falcons!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

If Minford can't throw the ball, it will be a long night for them.

Just ask Jackson!!!! Jacksons o-line out weighed Burg's defensive front by a ton and Burg wore them out all night. If No.76 for Jackson hadn't of grabbed Parsley on almost every play, the kid would have had probably 30 tackles. Parsely was by him before he could get out of his stance and he would just reach out and grab him and was only flagged one time for it. It actually became quite comical sitting in the stands watching it.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

Jackson isnt near the same as they have been. We will see come Friday, but I think the falcons are better than that Jackson team that traveled to Wheelersburg.

OldBaller
Waterboy

Post by OldBaller »

I cant wait to see this game on Friday. The burg seems to be the winner on paper, but Minford is tough and physical and if they eliminate mistakes, it may be difficult for the little Pirates to stop them.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

eagles 89 wrote:I dont know how many people are giving Minford a chance to win, but I am convinced they are gonna win this game. The Pirates have been talked about enough.....like always. Minford knows what they have to do to beat the Pirates and they will punch the burg in the mouth and ball control all night, the only question would be turnovers. Other than Ironton, who has the burg played that is any good. Everyone wants to talk about Valley and Minford's schedule, but who did the burg beat that is actually any good. Cant wait for this game....I think the falcons are gonna slow down that spread and hopefully force a few bad decisions from the quarterback and control the line of scrimmage on offense. Go Falcons!

Coal Grove-Possible playoff team.

Jackson-Playoff team the last few years. Big team

Fairland was supposed to be tough with a high powered offense and Burg crushed them at Fairland.

You know, two years ago Minford came in undefeated, same crap was talked about on here by Minford fans and Burg destroyed them. This years game, who knows who wins. I do know this, both teams respect each other and hopefully don't get caught up in some of the crap on here.

Also, just how do you slow down a spread offense? The only way to do that is to control the ball and if Minford has to many three and outs and Burg turns those into scores, it could be a game just like two years ago.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

1.) Coal Grove isnt a playoff team. 3-3 with a 9 game schedule makes them a 7% shot in getting in. They currently sit at 20th in Reg 19. They are not going to get much help with the rest of their schedule even if they win out because Fairland, Peake and SP are all going to beat up each other the last few weeks. SP will not win anymore games.

2.) To slow down a spread offense you play tight coverage on the splits and the D line and LB's have to not only contain the QB, but get pressure as well. Oh, and not get burnt deep. Easier said than done.

3.) Burg is pretty good defensively up the middle. I think Minford will have some success on the inside traps and counters, but I think where they will have more success is on the jet and buck sweep. They will be more balanced on offense than you have seen in previous games which should force Burg's corners to follow the receivers to respect the ability to pass. Its tough to stop the sweeps if the corners run downfield and eat blocks 15-20 yds off the line.

Both of these teams have played their share of good games. I think on Burg's end they played right with Ironton after spotting them 14 points early. Coal Grove could have won that game and they beat them in a tough place to win at The Grove.

Minford beat good Oak Hill and Piketon teams.

Who knows what to think about Jackson, but I still think it was a very good win in the way Burg beat them.

Fairland, Wellston, West, and Portsmouth have all fallen off the map since they have played Burg/Minford.

I think Burg is the clear favorite in this game, but I dont think it will be a blowout either way. Like I said before, Minford matches up with Burg as well as Ironton.

Minford will get their yards on the ground and Eddie will get yards in the air. But Minford needs to do their best defensively to take one option away from Burg to win the game.

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

Didnt Valley spank Coal Grove? Jackson might be big, but they were absolutely terrible when I saw them play burg. Slow down the spread by doing what you said......BALL CONTROL. I think Minford will move the chains all night long if they dont have penalties and/or turnovers. On defense, you need to be physical with the receivers at the line of scrimmage and force the quarterback to make the right decisions and put the ball in a tight window. You must get some pass rush to force quick decisions, and I believe they can force mistakes from the Pirates QB. I dont think the Pirates will be able to run the ball that much, so force them into 2nd or 3rd and long and make that QB make pressure throws. Not sure what the burg is averaging in points, but I dont see them reaching it this week or next week. GO FALCONS!!

Falconfever
Waterboy

Post by Falconfever »

I think it sounds like the 09 game where all the burg people were saying there was no way Minford could slow down burgs offense saying we would lose by 40 but Minford took advantage of the pirates mistakes. We have to play with the same intensity. the seniors this year were freshman then they know what it takes they know how to prepare now all they half to do is go out and prove it not to any fans but to their selves. We believe!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

^^^^^^
agree with some of what you said except coal grove could not have won that game they scored late with Burg in a prevent. Burg is terrific against the run but very suspect in passing D. For Minford to win they will have to keep the ball on long drives or break a few runs. Burg will load the box and force the falcons to pass.

So far Burg has yet to find anyone who can stop their offense tripling their opponents in scoring average in first and second quarters but not leading in time of possesion which means they score quickly.

Minford can win if they bend don't break on defense and sustain long drives. If not Burg will win.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Seems funny now that everyone is saying Jackson is down yet when they were coming into the burg in week five they were supposed to spank the burg pretty good. Everyone knows what happened in week 5. Jackson is a good ball team. They gave 2 div 3 teams that are currently 6-1 all they wanted. They have not lost to anyone since the burg and probably won't lose anymore this season. I was at the coal grove and the burg didn't look good but ironton also struggled in week 2. Don't underestimate how hard it is to come back after such a emotional, very physical game like that ironton-burg game is every year. It's not that uncommon for both of them to struggle a little in week 2.

falcon80
Waterboy

Post by falcon80 »

Ive seen Minford and Burg both play. Ive seen some really good play from minford, and some really bad play at times. Same goes to Burg. They were supposed to beat a waverly team by however much they wanted to beat them by, but for anyone who watched the game it wasnt quite that easy for burg even though the score was 48-26.

Burgs "passing game" was not what it is talked up to be. Sure they spread out the field but from what i saw at the Waverly game they threw the ball deep (more than 20yrds) 3 times. One a touchdown after a defender was just out ran by #3, another a jump ball that the defender had better position and miller luckily ended up with it, and the other which was intercepted. Minfords defensive backs are much better than what i seen from waverly, and the passing wont be as easy. E. Miller better not lob the ball up as he did against waverly becuase Faraar and company will turn bad passes into interceptions.

Minford on the other hand cannot keep making drives and giving up the ball on costly fumbles. Burgs defense is quick to the ball like someone said earlier. Have to cut out the turnovers and slow starts if they want to stay in this game. What i see helping them is that they can play every aspect of the game. Offense, Defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS! The punter has a huge leg and have seen him make some field goals with some good range. Field position will be huge friday for both teams and whoever makes the first mistake, i see the other team capitalizing on it and winning this game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

falcon80 wrote:Ive seen Minford and Burg both play. Ive seen some really good play from minford, and some really bad play at times. Same goes to Burg. They were supposed to beat a waverly team by however much they wanted to beat them by, but for anyone who watched the game it wasnt quite that easy for burg even though the score was 48-26.

Burgs "passing game" was not what it is talked up to be. Sure they spread out the field but from what i saw at the Waverly game they threw the ball deep (more than 20yrds) 3 times. One a touchdown after a defender was just out ran by #3, another a jump ball that the defender had better position and miller luckily ended up with it, and the other which was intercepted. Minfords defensive backs are much better than what i seen from waverly, and the passing wont be as easy. E. Miller better not lob the ball up as he did against waverly becuase Faraar and company will turn bad passes into interceptions.

Minford on the other hand cannot keep making drives and giving up the ball on costly fumbles. Burgs defense is quick to the ball like someone said earlier. Have to cut out the turnovers and slow starts if they want to stay in this game. What i see helping them is that they can play every aspect of the game. Offense, Defense, and SPECIAL TEAMS! The punter has a huge leg and have seen him make some field goals with some good range. Field position will be huge friday for both teams and whoever makes the first mistake, i see the other team capitalizing on it and winning this game.
Yep you're right The Burg did struggle against Waverly. at one time it was 34-7. Plus Miller had trouble throwing the ball... 19-30, 362 yards and 4 td's.... :roll:

eagles 89
Waterboy

Post by eagles 89 »

Burg beat a bad Fairland team, a bad Northwest team, and a bad Jackson team, no matter what people want to say about Jackson.........they were awful that night. They beat a Coal Grove team that will probly finish 6 - 3 or 5 - 4 and lets not forget they beat the trojans........i dont think we need to say how bad they are right now and they struggled somewhat with a Waverly team that might have some talent, but they arent winning many games. I guess my point is that they lost to a good Ironton team and they struggled mightily with an average or slightly above average Coal Grove team. What is gonna happen when they play a good Minford squad and a good Valley squad. :?: ;-)

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

i watched burg and itown the opening week. i think itown is a bit overrated as we have seen the past 2 weeks with a weak defense. no doubt minford will show up to play.....AND WIN!

i think #14 and #86 need to have a big game in the secondary. #4 needs to keep the play going and pick up 5-10 yards with his feet when its there. #28 is gonna get his yards but the key will be #11 and #21 breaking runs into the secondary.

there are a few surprises on the horizon....look out Friday night!

falcon80
Waterboy

Post by falcon80 »

Read more: Portsmouth Daily Times - Wheelersburg tops Waverly 48 26
BURG WAVERLY

FIRST DOWNS………………. 19 18

Rushing………………… 8 5

Passing………………… 10 12

Penalty………………… 1 1

NET YARDS RUSHING…………. 121 120

Rushing Attempts………… 31 34

Average Per Rush………… 3.9 3.5

Rushing Touchdowns………. 3 1

Yards Gained Rushing…….. 175 148

Yards Lost Rushing………. 54 28

NET YARDS PASSING…………. 385 287

Completions-Attempts-Int…. 20-32-1 20-24-0

Average Per Attempt……… 12.0 12.0

Average Per Completion…… 19.2 14.4

Passing Touchdowns………. 4 3

TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS……….. 506 407

Total offense plays……… 63 58

Average Gain Per Play……. 8.0 7.0

Fumbles: Number-Lost………. 3-3 2-2

Possession Time…………… 18:51 29:09

Third-Down Conversions…….. 3 of 12 4 of 12

Fourth-Down Conversions……. 5 of 6 2 of 2

Red-Zone Scores-Chances……. 5-6 2-3

Not a big difference between the teams and the stats... Allowing 1-6 waverly to score 26 points cant happen this week against minford because their defense is holding teams to under 19(Oak Hill). Defense wins games and IMO minfords D is better than Burg.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
eagles 89 wrote:I dont know how many people are giving Minford a chance to win, but I am convinced they are gonna win this game. The Pirates have been talked about enough.....like always. Minford knows what they have to do to beat the Pirates and they will punch the burg in the mouth and ball control all night, the only question would be turnovers. Other than Ironton, who has the burg played that is any good. Everyone wants to talk about Valley and Minford's schedule, but who did the burg beat that is actually any good. Cant wait for this game....I think the falcons are gonna slow down that spread and hopefully force a few bad decisions from the quarterback and control the line of scrimmage on offense. Go Falcons!

Coal Grove-Possible playoff team.

Jackson-Playoff team the last few years. Big team

Fairland was supposed to be tough with a high powered offense and Burg crushed them at Fairland.

You know, two years ago Minford came in undefeated, same crap was talked about on here by Minford fans and Burg destroyed them. This years game, who knows who wins. I do know this, both teams respect each other and hopefully don't get caught up in some of the crap on here.

Also, just how do you slow down a spread offense? The only way to do that is to control the ball and if Minford has to many three and outs and Burg turns those into scores, it could be a game just like two years ago.
Coal Grove is better than everyone thinks. The 3 games they lost were to teams with a combined record of 20-1.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

falcon80 wrote:Read more: Portsmouth Daily Times - Wheelersburg tops Waverly 48 26
BURG WAVERLY

FIRST DOWNS………………. 19 18

Rushing………………… 8 5

Passing………………… 10 12

Penalty………………… 1 1

NET YARDS RUSHING…………. 121 120

Rushing Attempts………… 31 34

Average Per Rush………… 3.9 3.5

Rushing Touchdowns………. 3 1

Yards Gained Rushing…….. 175 148

Yards Lost Rushing………. 54 28

NET YARDS PASSING…………. 385 287

Completions-Attempts-Int…. 20-32-1 20-24-0

Average Per Attempt……… 12.0 12.0

Average Per Completion…… 19.2 14.4

Passing Touchdowns………. 4 3

TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS……….. 506 407

Total offense plays……… 63 58

Average Gain Per Play……. 8.0 7.0

Fumbles: Number-Lost………. 3-3 2-2

Possession Time…………… 18:51 29:09

Third-Down Conversions…….. 3 of 12 4 of 12

Fourth-Down Conversions……. 5 of 6 2 of 2

Red-Zone Scores-Chances……. 5-6 2-3

Not a big difference between the teams and the stats... Allowing 1-6 waverly to score 26 points cant happen this week against minford because their defense is holding teams to under 19(Oak Hill). Defense wins games and IMO minfords D is better than Burg.
Like i have said many times before. Waverly is not that bad. They may very well win their last 3 games.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

For Vasrity is was 48-19, the last score was against JV. No matter how you spin it, that's a blowout. And if Minford can pass for 287 yards in the game they should win. But when you put quotes around "passing attack" up against Burg's season 1500 passing yards and 19 td's, not to mention 1400 rushing yards, it sounds like your reaching.

Minford is a good football team with a tremendous coaching staff. To win they will have to show they can stop them, something that has not been done by any team the burg has faced. Not saying it isn't possible but so far it hasn't happened.

Return to “Football”