Ironton and Burg-40+ Years of Excellence--How?

starbase_318
Varsity

Re: Ironton and Burg-40+ Years of Excellence--How?

Post by starbase_318 »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:3 r's.........

Retention
Recruitment
Reloading

I should have asked sooner. The 3R comment was driving me nuts.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

and we KNOW PEOPLE WHO WERE.LOL

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

dreamweaver wrote:and we KNOW PEOPLE WHO WERE.LOL
I do not know people.

I was one.

:mrgreen:

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

So far we have one unsuccessful recruiting attempt. They should all be coming out of the woodwork now

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Your dads best friend from ironton saying "hey come play for the tigers" is not recruiting.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

fbnut wrote:Your dads best friend from ironton saying "hey come play for the tigers" is not recruiting.
I don't believe my family has any friends in Ironton.

Is that true, Dinocrocetti?

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Dinocrocetti wrote:So far we have one unsuccessful recruiting attempt. They should all be coming out of the woodwork now
How about Mark Snyder?

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

So are you saying Mark Snyder was recruited by administration to come to Ironton? Also, I know you well KT but I don't know your parents or who they may have known in Ironton in 1984. I also have to admit that other than ball games, I never saw you hanging in Ironton. This is the first I've heard of you being recruited by Ironton. I think you would have helped us in 84. We could have used another lineman

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Dinocrocetti wrote:So are you saying Mark Snyder was recruited by administration to come to Ironton? Also, I know you well KT but I don't know your parents or who they may have known in Ironton in 1984. I also have to admit that other than ball games, I never saw you hanging in Ironton. This is the first I've heard of you being recruited by Ironton. I think you would have helped us in 84. We could have used another lineman
I don't know where to start with all of the untruths in this statement.

:lol:

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Ok tight end :)

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Dinocrocetti wrote:Ok tight end :)
LB and RB...

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

They all probably have lifes.lololololol

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

bill trent started the weightlifting program under bob bruney. cant remember if trent coached for bob lutz i think he was gone by then to greenup where he won an at large state title

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

lynn schrickel was the one who actually put ironton weightlifting in the 70's on a higher track.he was an asst. coach for the fighting tigers, before taking other head coaching jobs.that's not taking anything from anybody else. coach shrick had us doing it in gym class, and started competitions among the lifters.it caught on like wildfire.i was there when ken fritz benched 400 before going to ohio state his senior year. at that time i'd never heard of a high schooler with a 400 pound bench, i was a frosh, and it blew my mind.and you got an ironman shirt if you benched 100 pounds over your body weight, or squatted 200 more than your weight.i got mine for benching my frosh year.

whitwell
Waterboy

Post by whitwell »

Bruney and Trent had the weight program going before Schrickel came to Ironton. They instilled conditioning into the program. In the winter if you played football you either played basketball, wrestled, or hit the weights. In the spring you either played baseball or ran track. I can remember 70 guys on the track team. Summer was weight conditioning. All programs benefited. After Bruney and Trent left this stopped. Schrickel did continue the weight program.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that's what i did till i blew my knee up my sophomore year,
football, wrestling, track, weightlifting.
then ended up attending the lawrence county joint vocational school my junior and senior year welding.

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

I get so tired of this recruiting bs. I transferred from South Point because I won three football games in two years and they had me playing guard and d-tackle. My parents both graduated from Ironton High and my grandparents lived in town. I also grew up with Mark Snyder. Same deal. He didn't get to see the field at South Point due to politics and stupid coaches. Same as myself. We both left and went to Ironton because we wanted to play at the next level. Snyder went in 81 and I followed in 88. Between those years there were very few transfers. After I arrived, there were a few more over the next decade, as many saw the success that could be gained by playing for the winningest coach in Ohio history. My dad went to school with Lutz and Burcham, and he was friends with pretty much every coach on the staff. My dad talked about taking me to Ironton in grade school as I had shown a little ability running the ball. He didn't finally let me go until I was a Junior because I basically said if he didn't let me go I would never play again because I was tired of losing and playing out of position and he knew I meant it. South Point had nearly ruined any passion I had for the game.

When it came time to investigate how to attend Ironton, my dad called Burcham. Not one single Ironton coach has ever recruited someone in their lives. That is just BS. Burcham told my dad to call the judge that he could not speak to him about the subject. Farthest darn thing from recruiting ever.

And what did Lutz do when I arrived. He tried like hell to see if I would quit. The first thing he did was stick me at guard because he knew I left SP because they had me at G. I stayed at G until nearly the end of two a days. He was testing my attitude. I would hardly call that recruiting. He could have given a crap less if I would have quit. in fact, he was seeing if I would.

I have listened to this crap for so long. People claiming Lutz came to their house, jobs were offered to parents, houses were rented or bought, all BS. I know Lutz well, like a second father and he NEVER recruited a kid in his life. I have had people talk to me not knowing who I am or that I transferred and tell me how they "got the boy from SP's dad a job". Hilarious. Anyone that knows Lutz knows that he doesn't need to recruit.

So all of you Ironton haters, stop it with this recruiting BS, Lutz and Burcham have never recruited anyone, players just want to win, so they go to Ironton to do it.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

I-town-90 wrote:I get so tired of this recruiting bs. I transferred from South Point because I won three football games in two years and they had me playing guard and d-tackle. My parents both graduated from Ironton High and my grandparents lived in town. I also grew up with Mark Snyder. Same deal. He didn't get to see the field at South Point due to politics and stupid coaches. Same as myself. We both left and went to Ironton because we wanted to play at the next level. Snyder went in 81 and I followed in 88. Between those years there were very few transfers. After I arrived, there were a few more over the next decade, as many saw the success that could be gained by playing for the winningest coach in Ohio history. My dad went to school with Lutz and Burcham, and he was friends with pretty much every coach on the staff. My dad talked about taking me to Ironton in grade school as I had shown a little ability running the ball. He didn't finally let me go until I was a Junior because I basically said if he didn't let me go I would never play again because I was tired of losing and playing out of position and he knew I meant it. South Point had nearly ruined any passion I had for the game.

When it came time to investigate how to attend Ironton, my dad called Burcham. Not one single Ironton coach has ever recruited someone in their lives. That is just BS. Burcham told my dad to call the judge that he could not speak to him about the subject. Farthest darn thing from recruiting ever.

And what did Lutz do when I arrived. He tried like hell to see if I would quit. The first thing he did was stick me at guard because he knew I left SP because they had me at G. I stayed at G until nearly the end of two a days. He was testing my attitude. I would hardly call that recruiting. He could have given a crap less if I would have quit. in fact, he was seeing if I would.

So all of you Ironton haters, stop it with this recruiting BS, Lutz and Burcham have never recruited anyone, players just want to win, so they go to Ironton to do it.
Your story might be different than others but I was recruited by Ironton between those years of 1981 and 1988 that you spoke about.

Very interesting concept that Coal Grove went to the State Semi's in 1983 and Portsmouth went in 1984 and Minford went in 1985. Maybe Ironton would not have received some recruits from Portsmouth and Minford...but, they tried. I know they did.

So don't tell me it is BS when I lived it.

"Not one single Ironton coach has ever recruited someone in their lives."

The above quote is the bs...

Good luck as always to the University of Ironton...

I-town-90
Freshman Team

Post by I-town-90 »

Yeah right. Let's hear this recruiting tale? Who said what? I call BS. If it feeds your ego to walk around like a lot of others and claim they were "recruited" by Ironton then so be it, but I am going to need more than you saying it happened. Let';s hear some details then.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

I-town-90 wrote:Yeah right. Let's hear this recruiting tale? Who said what? I call BS. If it feeds your ego to walk around like a lot of others and claim they were "recruited" by Ironton then so be it, but I am going to need more than you saying it happened. Let';s hear some details then.
You don't need any details from me other than your coaching staff knew in advance that they needed me to play for Ironton in order to prevent a loss in 1984 to protect your regular season non-losing streak...(which we eliminated, of course)...

...ask dinocrocetti...

...you probably know him by another name in Ironton...

Long live the University of Ironton...

...recruits must not be flowing into Ironton anymore since you have not been to the State Finals since 1999.....

Return to “Football”