How will your school vote this time?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: How will your school vote this time?

Post by Bleeding Red »

Iggy25 wrote:This would ruin the state championships. The statement about private schools having weak fan bases is false. I went to a private school and trust me, our fanbase is incredible. Easily 5-7K on average and in big games we get over 10k. Private schools have huge followings. This would kill high school sport championships in Ohio. Did it in NY and it ruined it.
Maybe your school had a big following, but for the most part the private school fan base does not travel well at all. When Hartley came calling to Ironton a couple years ago they would have been good to have 100 fans in the stands. When Ironton played them again at Logan it was slightly better, but they were much closer to Columbus and still didnt make the trip.

The bigger D1 and D2 private schools seem to have a much better following than the D3-6 private schools. I think the split would be good for the state championships and only help. You say it "ruined it" in NY....for who? The private schools?

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

Iggy25 wrote:This would ruin the state championships. The statement about private schools having weak fan bases is false. I went to a private school and trust me, our fanbase is incredible. Easily 5-7K on average and in big games we get over 10k. Private schools have huge followings. This would kill high school sport championships in Ohio. Did it in NY and it ruined it.

privates and public schools that want to compete with them have ruined it the split would let the schools compete on a more even level no comunity has 6 or 7 DI kids in 9 thru 12 in the same school. No school with distict kid can compete with all-star teams and people don't want to watch it any more. Maybe your school traveled well but for the most part privates don't and people don't want to see kids over matched by teams that where assembled like travel teams.

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

Bleeding Red wrote:
Maybe your school had a big following, but for the most part the private school fan base does not travel well at all. When Hartley came calling to Ironton a couple years ago they would have been good to have 100 fans in the stands. When Ironton played them again at Logan it was slightly better, but they were much closer to Columbus and still didnt make the trip.

The bigger D1 and D2 private schools seem to have a much better following than the D3-6 private schools. I think the split would be good for the state championships and only help. You say it "ruined it" in NY....for who? The private schools?
I'm sure it was privates they need public schools fans to fill the stands most privates school games would lose money on lights if they played each other.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Even if the fan turn out was the same for public and private (aka catholic) schools at the state championships there is no financial penalty to the OHSAA. Because what will be in the private or catholic school place is a public school with just as many if not more fans.

So there is no money being lost, the only change is now the public schools are playing each other on an even playing field and that is a good change not a bad change. I for one am a little fed up with the catholic schools offering "scholarships" to those kids who excel at one sport or another in order to enhance their ability to compete. Granted some schools do it more than others (DeSales, Hartley, Moeller). St. Charles for example is much more likely to give an academic scholarship to someome that cannot afford to go there than an athletic one, but they are in the minority.

No one loses when there is a split. You will have 82% of the public schools on more even ground divided by enrollment. Let the 18% who recruit, manage their enrollment to be right at the cut-off limit play their own dang play-off.

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

No financial impact on the state championships? That is way off. Please read: http://www.cleveland.com/timstake/index ... ratio.html

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

If the catholic/private schools split from public school tournaments then what is the reason for the private schools to stay in the ohsaa. They will start their own organization and allow open recruiting and transferring. You think it is bas now. What's to stop them from swooping in and openly recruiting your star players. At least now it is so,ewhat limited. I see a bigger problem with trying to compete with the big city schools who have open enrollment or these new charter schools. This is a pandoras box. Only bad can happen if there is a split.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Don't do this.. you won't be beating the best......VOTE NO on this garbage. Don't get bitter...get better

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

bengalfan76 wrote:If the catholic/private schools split from public school tournaments then what is the reason for the private schools to stay in the ohsaa. They will start their own organization and allow open recruiting and transferring. You think it is bas now. What's to stop them from swooping in and openly recruiting your star players. At least now it is so,ewhat limited. I see a bigger problem with trying to compete with the big city schools who have open enrollment or these new charter schools. This is a pandoras box. Only bad can happen if there is a split.
Very true! Look at Africentric. They are considered a public school, but draw from all of Columbus. Is it fair that they stay in a small public school division?

Return to “Football”