D6 State Semifinal Valley vs Kirtland

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: D6 State Semifinal Valley vs Kirtland

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Despite what some people say that I root against area schools. I hope valley wins the whole freakin thing. GO VALLEY!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

nutronron2012 wrote:Over the past five years, here is Kirtland's record:

50-0 regular season
19-2 playoffs
69-2 overall
1 Division 5 Championship
1 Division 5 Runner-up
1 Division 6 Championship
5 conference championships
4 regional championships
1 regional runner up
The win against Loudonville was the Head Coach's 94th win in only his ninth year as head coach at Kirtland.

YET DAVID SLEW THE GIANT

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT AMAZING FIGHTING TIGER VICTORIES TO TELL YOU IT CAN BE DONE.

but 1 that stands out in my mind was a 6-3 ironton team, maybe it was 99. that everybody said that no way they should be there. and the opponent was Youngstown cardinal mooney.maybe at Zanesville, there have been so many.but the fighting tigers fought and clawed out a victory over Youngstown university.

and if I may. I remember a team from Washington, dc. they flew in a jet to all their games they were the 3rd ranked team in ''THE USA'' if memory serves me correct. and they fell to the fighting tigers.

not to mention the 2 state championships--------------and like 7/8 runners up.

then there are those times you run into a buzz saw like ironton/mentor lake catholic.it was like watching our players go through a wood chipper. joe juravicious is still scoring on us last I heard.

POINT IS, EVERYBODY HAS A GAMEPLAN TILL THEY GET HIT IN THE MOUTH.VALLEY IS HERE FOR A REASON.-----------ONLY 4 TEAMS HAVE GOT TO THIS POINT THIS YEAR. ------------ROLL TRIBE

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Kirtland is a different monster. To say they line up and run it right at you is an understatement. I dont think they have a weak link on the team (and havent for years).

Anything can happen and I would love to see Valley knock them out. On thing is certain, Valley's defense has to play mean and get Kirtland's backs on the ground at the initial hit and not let get YAC. The only key to beating Kirtland's team is to get their offense of the field from 3 and outs and hope the offense turns it loose.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

When you are in a David and Goliath situation there is only a couple things you can concentrate on doing.

Tell each kid to win each battle on every series, every down, every play...tell him to remind his teammate and keep on reminding him. Beat the guy across from you, win your battle. You never know when executing if that perfect block will spring someone for a long run, or a first down, or a favorable down and distance; or when shedding that block will get you a stop that you need.

Easier said than done, obviously, but do it every play and when 48 minutes is over look up and see where you are at.

Good luck to Valley, go beat your guy and do what you can do to help your team.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I was just looking at some rushing stats on Kirtland. Any team that averages 324 yards a game on the ground isn't going to give you many opportunities, so Valley must take advantage of the few chances they are given. The back with 1200 yards even missed 2 games. Not to mention, Skijan also threw for over 1,000 on the season.

Tall task for Valley, but keep the mistakes at a minimum and see what happens! Good Luck!!!

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Kirtand is a public school just like Valley, they offer soccer as well as many other fall sports. They play on the same size of a field as we do down here in So. Ohio. These are all 15-18 year old kids. From what I see, they play great assignment football. I agree Valley may be the underdog, but you have to realize Kirtland is really no different. Good luck Indians, win the game!!

Hit'em High Oldie
Waterboy

Post by Hit'em High Oldie »

I am sure everyone will agree, it is going to be a TOUGH TASK, we need to catch a few breaks, and more importantly capitalize on the breaks we do catch! We also have to realize they will break some long runs and score some points. They are going to get theirs, we just have to score when given the opportunity! More importantly we need to stay disciplined, we can't get frustrated and lose composure! I think that tends to happen when you see the same run play 8-10 in one drive. Skiijan, is a smart kid (I believe he got a 35 on ACT) and makes great decisions leaving little room for error. This is what will make it a TOUGH game, but NOT IMPOSSIBLE! I have seen plenty of upsets throughout the past 25 years on the high school level! I am hoping to see another one!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

4th n Goal wrote:I was just looking at some rushing stats on Kirtland. Any team that averages 324 yards a game on the ground isn't going to give you many opportunities, so Valley must take advantage of the few chances they are given. The back with 1200 yards even missed 2 games. Not to mention, Skijan also threw for over 1,000 on the season.

Tall task for Valley, but keep the mistakes at a minimum and see what happens! Good Luck!!!

That's some pretty impressive numbers. Could be a long night for the indians. I hope I'm wrong despite what some may say about me on a certain social media site. GO VALLEY!!

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Valley kids playing pretty good right now! I hope to see some fire from them tho!! Pretty laid back team!!! LOL!!! GET EM TRIBE!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

So, the only teams to put a stop to this Kirtland squad provided:
1. Well coached.
2. Staunt Defense.
3. Clock control.

That's been done twice recently by ColdH2O & U of U.
When Kirtland won it all Coldwater & Ursuline were in different divisions, or I doubt Kirtland has 2 state championship titles.
Nonetheless, all of those wins & two losses has them prepared with a very impressive heckuva 80+ roster grinding their teeth waiting to get into play.

Hold on tight Valkey! Represent! It can be done. Helmets on the ball & hands on the ball once the tackling is secure.
Control the game & "SHOCK-EM"!!!
Last edited by Tjhtygeverve on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

oops dbl post!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

everybody for the most part though Hartley would blow out the burg too across the state. look what happened, it took overtime.

art08
Waterboy

Post by art08 »

tjhtygeverve: "When Kirtland won it all Coldwater & Ursuline were in different divisions, or I doubt Kirtland has 2 state championship titles."

Kirtland beat Coldwater in 2011 for the division 5 state championship so they were in the same division. Kirtland lost to Coldwater in 2012 for the division 5 state championship.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Shedding blocks, avoiding blocks and filling holes will be absolutely key for Valley to slow down Kirtlands running game. We will have to play extremely physical at point of contact.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Kirtland beat Coldwater 3yrs ago and Coldwater beat them 12-10 2 years ago, i sat in shirt sleeves and watched that 1. Size means nothing, it's what is in a kids chest that makes them overcome. Leave it all on the field Valley and all of southern ohio will be backing you, this ref sure will be.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

I have watched Kirtland two of the times they have been completely stopped and another where they were not. I also watch the state finals every year.

The key for Valley's defense will be stopping Kirtland from running between the tackles. This is the key, forcing Kirtland to go outside greatly increases the chances for turnovers and negative plays and plays into a strength of Valley's team (namely their corners are big (6'5 and 6'3) and are good run stoppers. Penetration in the middle absolutely kills Kirtland and the times I saw them get slowed down they got frustrated quickly and had multiple personal fouls and poor body language during the game. The same kind of talk about this game went on when Coldwater played them two years ago, everyone said that Coldwater had no chance because Kirtland had just whipped them the last year, they had the D1 tailback, an unstoppable offense and they rolled through their opponents all year. Coldwater whipped them up front, specifically between the tackles and scored just enough to win.

Kirtland looks more ordinary on offense this year, but they depend less on star players and more on a team effort which is probably a good thing.

The offense on this Valley team is significantly better than that Coldwater team, but Valley's defense will the reason Valley wins or loses this game.

Goals for Valley to win:

1. no turnovers
2. stop the run between the tackles
3. don't miss tackles or give up big plays
4. force negative plays/turnovers to stop long drives
5. Keep Kirtland under 24 points

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

lineman7 wrote:I have watched Kirtland two of the times they have been completely stopped and another where they were not. I also watch the state finals every year.

The key for Valley's defense will be stopping Kirtland from running between the tackles. This is the key, forcing Kirtland to go outside greatly increases the chances for turnovers and negative plays and plays into a strength of Valley's team (namely their corners are big (6'5 and 6'3) and are good run stoppers. Penetration in the middle absolutely kills Kirtland and the times I saw them get slowed down they got frustrated quickly and had multiple personal fouls and poor body language during the game. The same kind of talk about this game went on when Coldwater played them two years ago, everyone said that Coldwater had no chance because Kirtland had just whipped them the last year, they had the D1 tailback, an unstoppable offense and they rolled through their opponents all year. Coldwater whipped them up front, specifically between the tackles and scored just enough to win.

Kirtland looks more ordinary on offense this year, but they depend less on star players and more on a team effort which is probably a good thing.

The offense on this Valley team is significantly better than that Coldwater team, but Valley's defense will the reason Valley wins or loses this game.

Goals for Valley to win:

1. no turnovers
2. stop the run between the tackles
3. don't miss tackles or give up big plays
4. force negative plays/turnovers to stop long drives
5. Keep Kirtland under 24 points

I agree with you on the keys to winning. But Valley don't have a 6` 5" corner. Maybe two 6` 3" corners.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don't understand lineman7. Are you saying that valley's offense is better than coldwaters offense two years ago against the kirtland defense now?

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

I am saying that Valley's offense this year is better than that Coldwater's offense, meaning they should score more than Coldwater did ( i see Kirtland's defenses that year and this year very similarly... that Coldwater team relied heavily on turnovers all year to get their offense good field position
Last edited by lineman7 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”