Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Re: Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Pee wee offense??? That's funny. Tell Kirkland that or even Hartley, or several other defending state champions.

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:Pee wee style would make one think to go back to a 5-2 defense with safeties playing tight and corners in. Just have to watch for the sweep that comes once in a blue moon to keep you honest. They can be beat. The one to do it will have to be supremely disciplined and not commit stupid penalties. Hang on to the ball as long as possible to keep the Offense off the field. The less time they have to score the better. They can bleed a clock. If you can stop the big play then you have a shot. But when they run on 97% of the time you have to continue to contain it to 2, 3 or 4 yards everytime. No one said you have to stop them completely cause that won't happen. Make them grind it out every drive.
Hartley has pretty much made a living on 3,4 yards a play and long time consuming drives. They have actually had very few big plays. It was the same last year, but when they play opponents with holes in the defense, they will break big plays. (just like against Wheelersburg last year)

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Isn't that about the same thing I said?

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

Well I've seen a lot of Hartley games and pee wee style offense wouldn't be the description that comes to mind. This year has been no tricks for kids - just pure power between the tackles. There have been a couple games lately where the plays could have been called over the PA system and it wouldn't have mattered. I have a feeling Saturday will be another one of those type games where the offense does whatever it wants.

MCC, Coldwater, Marion Franklin, Thurgood Marshall, Beechcroft and DeSales were big boy teams and Hartley out gained them all. Game by game stats can be found here: http://www.hsgamecenter.com/ohio/school ... tley-hawks

Hartley played a fantastic schedule and had to grind out several. Two wins came in the final second(s). The drive of the year was against Marion Franklin (reigning region 9 champion and #2 seed in region 13). Beechcroft (#1 seed in region 13) had tremendous size and speed and they were put away in the 1st half all on the ground. I don't think they saw pee wee style play calling out of Hartley.

I love the enthusiasm on this board from posters and their passion for football but this isn't a game that can be hyped. Hartley is a team on a mission and the destination is Ohio Stadium on December 4th or 6th.

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

Birdofprey wrote:Well I've seen a lot of Hartley games and pee wee style offense wouldn't be the description that comes to mind. This year has been no tricks for kids - just pure power between the tackles. There have been a couple games lately where the plays could have been called over the PA system and it wouldn't have mattered. I have a feeling Saturday will be another one of those type games where the offense does whatever it wants.

MCC, Coldwater, Marion Franklin, Thurgood Marshall, Beechcroft and DeSales were big boy teams and Hartley out gained them all. Game by game stats can be found here: http://www.hsgamecenter.com/ohio/school ... tley-hawks

Hartley played a fantastic schedule and had to grind out several. Two wins came in the final second(s). The drive of the year was against Marion Franklin (reigning region 9 champion and #2 seed in region 13). Beechcroft (#1 seed in region 13) had tremendous size and speed and they were put away in the 1st half all on the ground. I don't think they saw pee wee style play calling out of Hartley.

I love the enthusiasm on this board from posters and their passion for football but this isn't a game that can be hyped. Hartley is a team on a mission and the destination is Ohio Stadium on December 4th or 6th.
No matter what Hartley will not win State this year again.... A Orange and Black team will prevail.......again.... :roll:

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

This is the cards we were dealt, do we fold or play the cards. I say play the cards and see what happens.

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

There are 32 teams in the mix for a D V state championship. All I would say is Hartley has a better chance to play week 15 than the Senators. I'm certain they will come to Columbus to win Saturday night. Based on each team's résumé, Hartley should take care of business.

As for the state champion colors of orange & black, that is very possible. Coldwater, Ironton, and Wheelersburg have very similar unies if I remember. And if team wearing orange & black wins region 17, I'll be pulling for them in the final 2 weeks.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

As far as a State Championship goes, I don't care whether their colors are pink and yellow, as long as it's a public high school winning instead of a private school.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Pol Pot wrote:
Higgy Baby wrote:I would wager that Hartley could win D3 region 9 this year, after the beat down Burg took at the hands of Jackson, I would hope for just a little humility and perspective from Pirate nation

No way! Tri-Valley can compete with anyone. A statement made, without you seeing the 3:9 teams.
I think what he is trying to say is that the group Hartley has built can play with nearly anybody. especially teams their size. make no mistake this team was assembled. there is a distinct advantage. but west is in there for a reason, and don't count them short. the game ain't even started.i'd love nothing more than to see west just shock the state. go siders.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Jason Vorhees wrote:As far as a State Championship goes, I don't care whether their colors are pink and yellow, as long as it's a public high school winning instead of a private school.

amen and ring the bell we gotta winner.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it may be like a state championship game getting out of this region and everybody in it knows that. Hartley is the odds on favorite. but you have burg, west and ironton that wanna bring them down a notch. but make no mistake. this is like taking the best athletes from the 3 schools I just mentioned and combining them.so beating these private schools has become a public matter. there is a distinct unfair advantage. but the boys from down here are up for the test. hit em right in the mouth siders, and contain the edges.

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

Now Hartley has an unfair advantage? Hartley has no where close to the best athletes in the area. No one on the team is a division 1 recruit, and they are smaller than every team they play. They just play hard and are physical. When your school plays Hartley(if they get that far) you will see that teams like Ironton will have distinct size advantage. Hartley has a couple kids on the line that are about 5 foot 9. The fact of the matter is that Hartley is better coached than any other team in SE Ohio. Why is it that Coldwater and Clinton Massie have been able to beat Hartley, yet they are public schools?

No one was complaining about Hartley having a big advantage when they lost to Ironton in 2010 in the regular season, but every one has been crying about it since they beat them in the playoffs.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Absolutely Hartley has an advantage. Most private schools do and it has been acknowledged by AD's allover the state. That's why the multiplier is being put in place.

Hartley is a big team. They may not be as big as the bigger Columbus schools you are comparing them too but they will be huge compared to West upfront. This may be the smallest West team in recent memory.

Hartley's line and the backs are very thick and physical. Not to mention athletic. It's going to be a heck of a challenge to slow them down. But the West kids are gritty and our staff does have experience playing Hartley, so maybe they can come up with a good plan.

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

Westfan wrote:Absolutely Hartley has an advantage. Most private schools do and it has been acknowledged by AD's allover the state. That's why the multiplier is being put in place.

Hartley is a big team. They may not be as big as the bigger Columbus schools you are comparing them too but they will be huge compared to West upfront. This may be the smallest West team in recent memory.

Hartley's line and the backs are very thick and physical. Not to mention athletic. It's going to be a heck of a challenge to slow them down. But the West kids are gritty and our staff does have experience playing Hartley, so maybe they can come up with a good plan.
Obviously you haven't seen Hartley this year. Hartley will not be much bigger if at all.
Competitive balance crap isn't happening. Tho only advantage is that they are in a more disciplined environment through the day and are held to higher standards than public school kids. It is a huge commitment for the kids to go to a private school, and a lot of kids aren't able to handle it.

Is it a coincidence that the little Catholic communities in the MAC, and the Catholic schools are typically the most successful when it comes to sports?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

run n shoot 08 wrote:Competitive balance crap isn't happening.
It has already passed and will be happening. Bishop Hartley was (conveniently) 2 boys away from being D4 in the last count and will move up when it goes into effect if they don't "adjust" their maximum enrollment.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

im glad west got into the playoffs. It was much deserved. Your conference is a great one. I wished Ironton and Portsmouth were there instead of the ovc. anyway. Im pullig for ya and hope you can acieve what others think you cannot. they could have an off day. Yes, they are the best on paper and should win the region, but i dont think theyll take it all. I think another team wants it more.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I know how the Catholic school thing works, wonder how many of their players go to mass on sunday morning. I bet 70% of their roster are not of the catholic faith.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

luvbigcats wrote:I know how the Catholic school thing works, wonder how many of their players go to mass on sunday morning. I bet 70% of their roster are not of the catholic faith.
Does it matter? I went to a Catholic college to play football and Id say about 75% of our team wasn't Catholic.

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

tigercannon71 wrote:
luvbigcats wrote:I know how the Catholic school thing works, wonder how many of their players go to mass on sunday morning. I bet 70% of their roster are not of the catholic faith.
Does it matter? I went to a Catholic college to play football and Id say about 75% of our team wasn't Catholic.
Catholic college and high school is completely different.

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

I would say about 95% of the roster is catholic and went to Catholic Grade school. And actually they go to Mass every Friday morning before school.

Return to “Football”