Week 10 The Pirates vs. The Senators

seasick80
All State

Re: Week 10 The Pirates vs. The Senators

Post by seasick80 »

Westfan wrote:Hoping that West defense can keep us in the game Friday like they have all year. Win the turnover battle and put the pressure on Wheelersburg. Just like the Valley game West is the underdogs that few are giving any chance to. Sometimes that's a good thing.
West Offense has gotten better every week, the defense tho will be challenged. It could go down to TO's but I don't think Burg will make those available to West. I just don't know which Offense the Burg will come out with. Greeno is back and the Oline just added 300 lbs of meat to the table. He did his job vs Valley. Do u go full house or spread the field?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

demaniac1 wrote:
Westfan wrote:Hoping that West defense can keep us in the game Friday like they have all year. Win the turnover battle and put the pressure on Wheelersburg. Just like the Valley game West is the underdogs that few are giving any chance to. Sometimes that's a good thing.
West Offense has gotten better every week, the defense tho will be challenged. It could go down to TO's but I don't think Burg will make those available to West. I just don't know which Offense the Burg will come out with. Greeno is back and the Oline just added 300 lbs of meat to the table. He did his job vs Valley. Do u go full house or spread the field?
I say you mix it up either a few series at a time or a quarter at a time. If West makes adjustments and slows down one or the other, you flip it around. The good thing is that Burg passes from the full house and runs from the spread, so either way should keep the defense off balance if the Pirates execute.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Torn on this game.

On one hand I would like to see Burg because of the secondary points it would provide the Ironmen.

On the other hand I have been predicting West as the dark horse for a while this season in the SOCII and there is a player on West that I think an awful lot of, a real competitor. The Welsh kid last home game and all the West players getting up for this one is going to be easy coupled with some solid Johnson son-father coaching is going to make this a tough one for Burg. West will be focused, prepared and ready.

Maybe an overall athletic edge to Burg, but maybe a team of destiny edge to West in getting an outright league title.

This is game of the week in SE Ohio, no doubt about it.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

4th n Goal wrote:
demaniac1 wrote:
I say you mix it up either a few series at a time or a quarter at a time. If West makes adjustments and slows down one or the other, you flip it around. The good thing is that Burg passes from the full house and runs from the spread, so either way should keep the defense off balance if the Pirates execute.
I would have to agree. The only thing I would say is to switch it up by half. Run the ball out of the power formations the first half and drain the defense. Second half, spread it out and let them try to keep up. Burg is probably the best conditioned team in the conference. They can play some ball. Whether it is no huddle or milk the clock. They play big and fast in al aspects and the D is absolutely flying to the ball.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote:
Endzone_Warrior wrote:I'm sure Westfan is still out there somewhere.....
Still here EW.
:aaaaa41

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

If you are good at continually switching styles you make it hard on the opponent to prepare.

Bad side of it is these are still kids and with limited practice time the more complicated it is, the more apt they are to make crucial mistakes. Every time I see Wheelersburg they are running a different offense and defense. I'm not sure that's always good. Going back to Miller/Hall days Wheelersburg was a basically simple/solid team that was disciplined and executed. Not to say they're not now, but it is different.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

doubleplay643 wrote:Torn on this game.

On one hand I would like to see Burg because of the secondary points it would provide the Ironmen.

On the other hand I have been predicting West as the dark horse for a while this season in the SOCII and there is a player on West that I think an awful lot of, a real competitor. The Welsh kid last home game and all the West players getting up for this one is going to be easy coupled with some solid Johnson son-father coaching is going to make this a tough one for Burg. West will be focused, prepared and ready.

Maybe an overall athletic edge to Burg, but maybe a team of destiny edge to West in getting an outright league title.

This is game of the week in SE Ohio, no doubt about it.
Nicely stated doubleplay. Both teams will be prepared for this one.
Last edited by local superstar on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I just looked at the article on the PDT site from the West vs. Fairland game. According to that article, West had 250 yards for the game and Fairland had 226 yards. So aside from the 52 yard play, 20 seconds into the game, West only had 198 yards of offense? Something just doesn't add up.

local superstar
All State

I saw that 4th and wondered the same. Anyone got the year to date stats on both teams, including QB stats?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

local superstar wrote:I saw that 4th and wondered the same. Anyone got the year to date stats on both teams, including QB stats?
Burgfan's website is being overhauled right now, but the only stats I know of are at http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wh ... /stats.htm but I don't think those are up date. Maybe the lack of "offensive stats" in that article were because of turnovers and/or big special teams plays that set up really short scoring drives for West.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

4th n Goal wrote:I just looked at the article on the PDT site from the West vs. Fairland game. According to that article, West had 250 yards for the game and Fairland had 226 yards. So aside from the 52 yard play, 20 seconds into the game, West only had 198 yards of offense? Something just doesn't add up.
West played with the short field most of the night. Really seemed like they were in cruise mode as Fairland's defense is really bad.

Fairland has a couple of their playmakers back. They couldn't run the ball but the quarterback made some nice throws.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

^^^^^
This. Giving up yards against fairland may be troubling. Burg will make west earn it. West will be ready.

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

Burg 42 West 20 Jackson stopped the high powered offense because they are highly talented and big and physical. West is no Jackson by any means.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

After seeing both. I think Burg is better on offense and defense. But don't count West out. Burg is very good against the run, but there are yards to be had in the passing game .

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Not sure how much of a factor it will be, but Burg has only played on grass 2 times this year and West has spent nearly the whole season on a natural surface. Burg's game at Fairland was in week 4 and that was a field still in decent shape and then in the mud bowl at Waverly in week 7, so really only 1 game on "grass"

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

4th n Goal wrote:Not sure how much of a factor it will be, but Burg has only played on grass 2 times this year and West has spent nearly the whole season on a natural surface. Burg's game at Fairland was in week 4 and that was a field still in decent shape and then in the mud bowl at Waverly in week 7, so really only 1 game on "grass"
West's field is typically in great condition. They don't allow any unnecessary usage and it held together great considering the monsoon during the Valley game.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Westfan wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:Not sure how much of a factor it will be, but Burg has only played on grass 2 times this year and West has spent nearly the whole season on a natural surface. Burg's game at Fairland was in week 4 and that was a field still in decent shape and then in the mud bowl at Waverly in week 7, so really only 1 game on "grass"
West's field is typically in great condition. They don't allow any unnecessary usage and it held together great considering the monsoon during the Valley game.
I agree.....West usually has the field in great shape and I only see it in Week 10, so that is saying something

local superstar
All State

4th n Goal thanks. I didn't think of looking on Maxpreps. For anyone that wants the year to date stats, they are posted for both teams.

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

nutronron2012 wrote:After seeing both. I think Burg is better on offense and defense. But don't count West out. Burg is very good against the run, but there are yards to be had in the passing game .

Burg has stopped the pass all year.. Teams avf 51.5 passing yards per game.. 38 for 80 for 47.5% and giving up 8 interceptions after 8 games.... The defense is very stingy

outsider
Freshman Team

Post by outsider »

How many times did Jackson throw the ball? I think someone said maybe once.

Return to “Football”