WK 10: Steubenville CC 13 @ Fort Frye 49 Final

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: WK 10: Steubenville CC (7-2) @ Fort Frye (8-1)

Post by EasternDspy »

Belpre D6 (4-5)
D5 Northridge (5-4)
Waterford D7 (8-1)
Barnesville D6 (3-6) 2016 Regional Semi-Finalist
Steubenville CC D6 (7-2)
D3 Warren (0-9)

That’s a pretty decent non league schedule for a D6 school from the Valley.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Honestly, when Monroe Central was winning The PVC in the 90's, before the internet, nobody was driving to Jay Circosta's house to shout "Frontier Football Stinks," at him. You know how many State Titles he won? Played for? Still a good football coach

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Da Game wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 pm
efarns wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pm Fort Frye has a few fast kids, but they aren't scaring anyone with speed. I guess the way they'll contend is to make those fast guys tackle Bradford and Schob for five minutes straight, then see if they're still fast.
I was just telling you....But tackling SCC backs for 5 minutes straight, then see if they are still at top speed....Their backs are big
The stronger and faster team usually wins. If that is SCC, you know what? Everyone still has a math test to study for. Either way, I bet Fort Frye tries punching them in the mouth for awhile. Somebody's going to lose. You may as well swing.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Replaced
Wirt
Newcomerstown
Buckeye Trail

With
Stubenville CC
Warren
Barnesville

People are still complaining.

Next year will see if we can play
Cincy St Xavier
Zanesville
Columbus Bishop Hartley

Wildcatter
Waterboy

Post by Wildcatter »

EasternDspy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm Belpre D6 (4-5)
D5 Northridge (5-4)
Waterford D7 (8-1)
Steubenville CC D6 (7-2)
D3 Warren (0-9)

Really, Warren being a descent non league game? You should know better. That pick up was for points only. Anybody who knows, knows Warren is down significantly the past few years.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:51 pm Belpre D6 (4-5)
D5 Northridge (5-4)
Waterford D7 (8-1)
Steubenville CC D6 (7-2)
D3 Warren (0-9)

Really, Warren being a descent non league game? You should know better. That pick up was for points only. Anybody who knows, knows Warren is down significantly the past few years.

Actually I think it was because it was so we could play a bigger school that dropped us in 07 because we were bad. Great game with a beatable D3 that is 12 miles down the road. Brings in a great gate and huge consession money. Game vs Warren is a no brainer for multiple reasons.

Wildcatter
Waterboy

Post by Wildcatter »

I agree with your assessment speaking financially driven but preparing your team for the playoffs, absolutely not.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:07 pm I agree with your assessment speaking financially driven but preparing your team for the playoffs, absolutely not.
Also gives us some 1st level points.

JoeyRamone
Waterboy

Post by JoeyRamone »

efarns wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 pm I imagine they'll use Indian Creek in Wintersville.
"http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20170 ... yoff-games"

If passed by the OHSAA’s board of directors, all playoff games will be on Friday night. The only exceptions will be first-round hosting teams who don’t have lights on their fields or venues that serve as home sites to multiple playoff-qualifying teams that would necessitate games on Saturdays.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

JoeyRamone wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 pm
efarns wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:45 pm I imagine they'll use Indian Creek in Wintersville.
"http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20170 ... yoff-games"

If passed by the OHSAA’s board of directors, all playoff games will be on Friday night. The only exceptions will be first-round hosting teams who don’t have lights on their fields or venues that serve as home sites to multiple playoff-qualifying teams that would necessitate games on Saturdays.
That answers that.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

While I post very little on here anymore, I am going to jump in here and come to the defense of the Cadets. Their schedule is fine, they have certainly upgraded over prior years and have had a very good program for the last three or four years. Small schools, for the most part, are cyclical in their success, especially in SEO. efarns point about Coach Circosta is spot on. I think this game with SCC is a great lead in for the playoffs. You have the #4 vs. the #5 team in region 23, for the 10th game of the season. That's very cool, and honestly, you don't see these type of match ups typically in week 10. I think this is going to be a great game. If it is a dry field, I believe that will favor SCC. Wet and sloppy (like today!), well, I like the Cadets. And to the point, quality of football in the PVC prepares them well. Waterford was the proverbial doormat of the PVC and fled to the TVC. Now you see how well they do in a weaker football league. Good luck this week to FF, I like your chances in this game.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Credit coach Huck he knows how to adjust to his players. 2 years ago they spread it out last year they mixed it up and now they are a power ball club. This years Defense is the best coach Huck has had. The front 7 has been awesome they rotate the DL. Isner and McCleod have been great at the ends. Schob and Bradford will bring the pain on the inside. Huck and Fryman are very sound and rarely miss tackles. The CBS have made the most improvement over the last 8 weeks.

Wildcatter
Waterboy

Post by Wildcatter »

I also appreciate the fact FF is playing SCC Friday. It should help give them great experience for the playoffs. My point was to someone's comment about Warren being a great non conference game. It is a pleasure to see all schools (especially Public schools) in Appalachia do well in the playoffs.

But if you needed to tear down Waterford to help your self esteem that's unfortunate. Both schools deserve our respect and that we should enjoy their success as it will not last forever.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatter wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pm I also appreciate the fact FF is playing SCC Friday. It should help give them great experience for the playoffs. My point was to someone's comment about Warren being a great non conference game. It is a pleasure to see all schools (especially Public schools) in Appalachia do well in the playoffs.

But if you needed to tear down Waterford to help your self esteem that's unfortunate. Both schools deserve our respect and that we should enjoy their success as it will not last forever.
I don’t think this was pointed at me. I just want to say I’m a huge Waterford supporter and I love when they do well.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Wildcatter wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pm I also appreciate the fact FF is playing SCC Friday. It should help give them great experience for the playoffs. My point was to someone's comment about Warren being a great non conference game. It is a pleasure to see all schools (especially Public schools) in Appalachia do well in the playoffs.

Espy, probably pointing at my statement about Waterford having no success in the PVC. That was a fact. Anyone who knows me knows I have plenty of self-esteem, if that comment was directed at me in a backhanded manner as it appears, so what. I know how bad it was for the Wildcats in the PVC, and I am very happy that they joined the TVC and have enjoyed success. My comment was to bolster the fact that the PVC is, and always has been, a great small school football conference.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Most of the time the PVC is better then the Hocking overall. Trimble has had some really good teams. I really think PVC needs to bring in one more team. I seriously think that Barnesville is the perfect team. They already are playing most of the teams anyway.

ovfootball
Waterboy

Post by ovfootball »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:18 pm Fort Frye starting defense has allowed one TD since halftime of week 3. Fort Frye is a smash mouth team with 3 good ball carriers. I heard SCC has a fantastic offensive line.

This will be a great match up and one that will possibly happen again post season (possibly as soon as week 11 with some quirks). FF has decent size but a ton of speed on the offensive front - FF lineman hit and trap aggressively. SCC's line is big and very athletic. 6'6" 305 (NCAA D1 Commit, Sr), 6'2" 315 (Jr), 6'4" 270 (Jr), 5'9" 225 (Sr) & 5'11" 215 (Jr).

It will be an entertaining game. Here's to both teams staying healthy for the post season.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

ovfootball wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:18 pm Fort Frye starting defense has allowed one TD since halftime of week 3. Fort Frye is a smash mouth team with 3 good ball carriers. I heard SCC has a fantastic offensive line.

This will be a great match up and one that will possibly happen again post season (possibly as soon as week 11 with some quirks). FF has decent size but a ton of speed on the offensive front - FF lineman hit and trap aggressively. SCC's line is big and very athletic. 6'6" 305 (NCAA D1 Commit, Sr), 6'2" 315 (Jr), 6'4" 270 (Jr), 5'9" 225 (Sr) & 5'11" 215 (Jr).

It will be an entertaining game. Here's to both teams staying healthy for the post season.
I am not trying to start an argument but isn’t Vince Oliver the big (6-6) 305 D1 player from Weirton?

ovfootball
Waterboy

Post by ovfootball »

His father (mom too possibly) went to SCC and he's been going to school at Steubenville Catholic from the very beginning as a child. They reside a few miles away across the river. You are correct. His father also played ball at scc.

ovfootball
Waterboy

Post by ovfootball »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:23 pm
Buckeyefan55 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:21 pm SCC might be the dark horse of the region... they've beat some solid teams. Anxious to see how this game turns out.
One of SCC losses was to South Harrison. SH is awesome this year.
South Harrison is a really solid team from top to bottom and "should" win WV "A" state tourney this year...or at least be in the finals. SCC was completely outplayed in the first half and congrats to SH. SH is extremely fast, strong and plays angry. Several scc skilled guys were hurt (2 are now back) and 2 starting RBs had to sit the first half of that game. On a positive note, scc did play the 2nd half to 14-14. I am in no way saying scc would have necessarily beaten SH but it could have been a different ballgame under more favorable circumstances. In the end, injuries and incidents are part of the game though. The other loss was to playoff bound, small school powerhouse, Berlin Center / Western Reserve. SCC lost 43-33. It was a tied track meet for 3 plus quarters before Western Reserve wore scc down with a very large and strong team led by a RB/LB going to Ohio State.

Return to “Football”