Fort Frye attempts to join TVC Ohio

Lucky Charms
Freshman Team

Re: Fort Frye attempts to join TVC Ohio

Post by Lucky Charms »

Vegeta wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 pm Fort Frye would make the Ohio way too bottom heavy. I think they could compete just fine, but the last thing the Ohio needs is another small school. The league should have added Warren a long time ago as the 8th and final team. A rural school that is a little bigger than Vinton County, but not quite as big as Athens. Fits right into the league from a demographic and geographic perspective.

Ohio
Athens
Warren
Meigs
River Valley
Wellston
Vinton County
Nelsonville-York
Alexander

Hocking
Trimble
Federal Hocking
Southern
Eastern
Miller
Belpre
Waterford
Fort Frye
The Southern Plan

Division 1
Marietta
Warren
Athens
Vinton County
Alexander
Wellston

Division 2
Meigs
River Valley
Nelsonville
Trimble
Fort Frye
Belpre

Division 3
Southern
Eastern
Federal Hocking
South Gallia
Waterford
Hanna, WV

This is what Danny wants

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

Dundas wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:56 pm
NY BUCK wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:14 am Travel times from high school to high school (Using maps app on phone so could be off a little)

Alexander: 1 hour and 6 min
Athens: 1 hour
Meigs: 1 hour and 1 minute
Nelsonville-York: 1 hour and 4 min
River Valley: 1 hour and 30 min
Vinton County: 1 hour and 29 min
Wellston: 1 hour and 35 min

Potential conference schedule if nothing is changed
Week 4: Wellston
Week 5: Nelsonville-York
Week 6: Athens
Week 7: Vinton County
Week 8: Meigs
Week 9: Alexander
Week 10: River Valley
This is just off top of my head but I think it’s correct.
I think it comes down to if the TVC wants to even the number in the Ohio division vs the long trips for everyone to Fort Frye. IMO the TVC has a better option in Oak Hill if they go after them. Personally, I feel like River Valley, Wellston, Vinton County and Athens will all vote no. The first 3 for travel reasons and Athens because they don’t want another small school on their schedule. I think it’s a long shot for Fort Frye.
All good points. I have said before I wouldn’t mind Oak Hill. Nice facility as well. I know NY plays them for the next two years at least. Regardless if it’s Fort or Oak Hill or someone else, just want the Ohio to add one team so we can make it even and move on.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

NY BUCK wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:07 am
NY BUCK wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:14 am Travel times from high school to high school (Using maps app on phone so could be off a little)

I think it comes down to if the TVC wants to even the number in the Ohio division vs the long trips for everyone to Fort Frye. IMO the TVC has a better option in Oak Hill if they go after them. Personally, I feel like River Valley, Wellston, Vinton County and Athens will all vote no. The first 3 for travel reasons and Athens because they don’t want another small school on their schedule. I think it’s a long shot for Fort Frye.
All good points. I have said before I wouldn’t mind Oak Hill. Nice facility as well. I know NY plays them for the next two years at least. Regardless if it’s Fort or Oak Hill or someone else, just want the Ohio to add one team so we can make it even and move on.
Athens will get more playoffs points from Fort Frye than any of the current TVC teams that’s a lame excuse.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Yea, if I had to choose between the two I'd take Oak Hill. We don't need another team in the Ohio that doesn't have turf.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

Where is the Oak Hill talk coming from? Why would Oak Hill leave the SOC with its short drives to Scioto and Pike County for the TVC commutes to Athens and Meigs County?

NY BUCK
All State

Post by NY BUCK »

EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 am

Athens will get more playoffs points from Fort Frye than any of the current TVC teams that’s a lame excuse.
I didn’t think Athens was a for sure no. I leaned them more toward a yes or on the fence at least. They would good get good points from Fort, specially if they don’t see any other big school getting in.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

NY BUCK wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 am
EasternDspy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 am

I didn’t think Athens was a for sure no. I leaned them more toward a yes or on the fence at least. They would good get good points from Fort, specially if they don’t see any other big school getting in.
I've heard from a pretty good A-town source that Athens will vote "no" on any school coming in that doesn't have turf.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I do like the idea of the TVC Ohio adding Fort Frye, Warren, and Oak Hill. Be a great league for every school

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Vegeta wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:29 am Where is the Oak Hill talk coming from? Why would Oak Hill leave the SOC with its short drives to Scioto and Pike County for the TVC commutes to Athens and Meigs County?
There's been rumblings about Oak Hill leaving SOC for couple of years now that have gotten louder since they are playing football in SOC II (Burg, West, etc.) instead of SOC I (small schools). Only way I could see them leaving SOC is if the TVC goes to 3 divisions and Oak Hill gets placed in smallest division. I think the more likely scenario is Oak Hill gets moved back to SOC I for football if/when Northwest moves back up to SOC II. *

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:04 pm I do like the idea of the TVC Ohio adding Fort Frye, Warren, and Oak Hill. Be a great league for every school
Add Fort Frye and Warren, drop South Gallia, and split the league into 3 divisions.

Ohio
Athens
Warren
Meigs
Vinton County
Alexander

Buckeye
Wellston
River Valley
Nelsonville-York
Trimble
Fort Frye

Hocking
Southern
Eastern
Federal Hocking
Waterford
Belpre
art_vandelay wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:31 pm
Vegeta wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:29 am Where is the Oak Hill talk coming from? Why would Oak Hill leave the SOC with its short drives to Scioto and Pike County for the TVC commutes to Athens and Meigs County?
There's been rumblings about Oak Hill leaving SOC for couple of years now that have gotten louder since they are playing football in SOC II (Burg, West, etc.) instead of SOC I (small schools). Only way I could see them leaving SOC is if the TVC goes to 3 divisions and Oak Hill gets placed in smallest division. I think the more likely scenario is Oak Hill gets moved back to SOC I for football if/when Northwest moves back up to SOC II. *
Oak Hill and Northwest are both division 5 schools that should be playing in the SOC 2. Neither school has any business playing in a league full of division 7 schools. The SOC 1 should add South Gallia if they need another division 7 school to round out the schedule.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Vegeta wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:59 pm Fort Frye would make the Ohio way too bottom heavy. I think they could compete just fine, but the last thing the Ohio needs is another small school. The league should have added Warren a long time ago as the 8th and final team. A rural school that is a little bigger than Vinton County, but not quite as big as Athens. Fits right into the league from a demographic and geographic perspective.

As for the Hocking, the biggest problem with that division right now is South Gallia. They are a school that is much better suited for the SOC 1 in every aspect, and have basically created a travel nightmare for most of the Hocking schools. If the league could find a way to get rid of South Gallia, the Hocking could add Fort Frye. I would think with the absence of South Gallia, Miller would be much more receptive to staying as well. Fort Frye would already have natural rivals in Belpre and Waterford. Not to mention a new rival on the gridiron in Trimble. I think it would make for a pretty good league which is why South Gallia should immediately petition the SOC for membership. :D

Ohio
Athens
Warren
Meigs
River Valley
Wellston
Vinton County
Nelsonville-York
Alexander

Hocking
Trimble
Federal Hocking
Southern
Eastern
Miller
Belpre
Waterford
Fort Frye
Fort Frye is a great fit in the Ohio. If the league is worried about becoming bottom heavy they could always kick Athens out. Problem solved.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

Has anyone drove from some of these schools to FF then back home, on a bus, in the winter, on a school night, after a game is done? Friday and Saturday games will be fine, but jr hi plays during the week, as does girls bball, jv football, and other teams.
Mapquest claims an hour- hour and half, by car. Then stop to eat, get home, shower, homework and still have to get up for school the next day. Lucky kids can ride home with parents but it's still going to be late. Are there no leagues around them that they can join?
As parents or concerned bystanders, we should think about this and bring it to the higher ups that make these decisions. There should be some serious thought put into it, just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it'll work in real life and be in the best interests of the kids.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Rvfan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:45 pm Has anyone drove from some of these schools to FF then back home, on a bus, in the winter, on a school night, after a game is done? Friday and Saturday games will be fine, but jr hi plays during the week, as does girls bball, jv football, and other teams.
Mapquest claims an hour- hour and half, by car. Then stop to eat, get home, shower, homework and still have to get up for school the next day. Lucky kids can ride home with parents but it's still going to be late. Are there no leagues around them that they can join?
As parents or concerned bystanders, we should think about this and bring it to the higher ups that make these decisions. There should be some serious thought put into it, just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it'll work in real life and be in the best interests of the kids.
Thank you! As a Fort Frye fan, this is what I've been saying, too. I doubt it's an option, but we fit better in a lower tier of an MVL. Morgan, Crooksville, New Lex, Philo, and Meadowbrook are reasonably close - though most of them are a lot bigger. That would get us media coverage in a second TV market, so maybe that would help with voting in polls, seeding, etc?

The second-best option for us would be a middle tier of The TVC. Belpre, Trimble, Nelsonville, . . . Meigs or Eastern . . . Something like that. I think you'd keep Athens, Wellston, VC, and Alex together, for sure.

To answer your question: No. There is not a conference in our area. Geographically, The Hocking is best, but it isn't a good competitive fit.
Last edited by efarns on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McChicken
Riding the Bench

Post by McChicken »

Fort Frye does not have the facilities. They force visiting teams to walk to high school while they walk 20 yards to their locker room.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

efarns wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 pm
Rvfan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:45 pm Has anyone drove from some of these schools to FF then back home, on a bus, in the winter, on a school night, after a game is done? Friday and Saturday games will be fine, but jr hi plays during the week, as does girls bball, jv football, and other teams.
Thank you! As a Fort Frye fan, this is what I've been saying, too. I doubt it's an option, but we fit better in a lower tier of an MVL. Morgan, Crooksville, New Lex, Philo, and Meadowbrook are reasonably close - though most of them are a lot bigger. That would get us media coverage in a second TV market, so maybe that would help with voting in polls, seeding, etc?

The second-best option for us would be a middle tier of The TVC. Belpre, Trimble, Nelsonville, . . . Meigs or Eastern . . . Something like that. I think you'd keep Athens, Wellston, VC, and Alex together, for sure.

To answer your question: No. There is not a conference in our area. Geographically, The Hocking is best, but it isn't a good competitive fit.
MVL just expanded and has a freeze on new members until 2025. Bottom line is Fort Frye isn’t in a league. OVAC should not even count because those teams won’t play Fort Frye. Nobody will play Fort Frye and they really need a league to get set scheduling.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:28 am
efarns wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 pm

MVL just expanded and has a freeze on new members until 2025. Bottom line is Fort Frye isn’t in a league. OVAC should not even count because those teams won’t play Fort Frye. Nobody will play Fort Frye and they really need a league to get set scheduling.

I understand why they're applying. I also agree with rvfan as to why this isn't a great fit. Unfortunately, the clusters of schools that might be ideal are not likely to happen. Hence, this "square peg in a round hole" application.

Rvfan
Freshman Team

Post by Rvfan »

McChicken wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 am Fort Frye does not have the facilities. They force visiting teams to walk to high school while they walk 20 yards to their locker room.
Alexander does the same. 2 separate years, our boys had to change behind the visitor bleachers bc the school was locked up for some reason.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Rvfan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:35 pm
McChicken wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:54 am Fort Frye does not have the facilities. They force visiting teams to walk to high school while they walk 20 yards to their locker room.
Alexander does the same. 2 separate years, our boys had to change behind the visitor bleachers bc the school was locked up for some reason.
That’s true but they have almost competed the new athletic building which will provide locker rooms. So that shouldn’t be an issue anymore.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I would love to see Fort Frye in the TVC Ohio. NY used to have a fierce rivalry with Belpre back in the day and I could see the same developing with Fort Frye.

FF has been a recent football powerhouse. What other sports teams are strong at FF? Which ones are traditionally weak?

Fun fact: Fort Frye was supposed to join the TVC in 1970 when NY joined, but something happened and they didn’t. I have never been able to find out why. FF did play most of the TVC schools in multiple sports that year, including a full TVC baseball schedule from what I have read in newspaper archives. I wish someone was still around that knows the story of what happened that they didn’t join the TVC in 1970.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Any hope for facility upgrades at Fort Frye?

Return to “Football”