2021 SOC2

artisgilmore
Varsity

Re: 2021 SOC2

Post by artisgilmore »

Maybe he’ll come to Ironton.we take any kid that dreams of playing at next level,regardless of the sport and will do whatever it takes to help he or she realize it.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

artisgilmore wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:07 am Maybe he’ll come to Ironton.we take any kid that dreams of playing at next level,regardless of the sport and will do whatever it takes to help he or she realize it.
:roll:

You’re foolish to think that all the area coaches don’t try to do that for their kids.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:03 am
artisgilmore wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:07 am Maybe he’ll come to Ironton.we take any kid that dreams of playing at next level,regardless of the sport and will do whatever it takes to help he or she realize it.

You’re foolish to think that all the area coaches don’t try to do that for their kids.
The key word their is “TRY”. Sure they all try but many don’t know how to go about it. Connections and networking matter at that level. When you have coaches that have a direct contact to every FBS in the country it makes it tough to compete against. Sorry but it’s true.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:19 am

The key word their is “TRY”. Sure they all try but many don’t know how to go about it. Connections and networking matter at that level. When you have coaches that have a direct contact to every FBS in the country it makes it tough to compete against. Sorry but it’s true.
I guess Portsmouth East had those connections too when Blaine Scott got recruited by WVU. Or Austin pleasant at coal Grove went to Ohio university. Or Pittman from Ashland to Army. Or ridgewood, their two d lineman we’re going to Ohio State. You either are D1 or you’re not. You can have all the connections you want. Burgs last true D1 talent went to play basketball. Who cares how many letters colleges send to a kid. My kid, who wasn’t d1, got them every day from somewhere in the sport they played. But ended up in the place that fit the best. Ironton just sounds a horn every time someone gets one, which is fine, but I’m not buying the whole “we get them noticed” talk just for the sake of getting kids to play at ironton.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

wobycat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm

I guess Portsmouth East had those connections too when Blaine Scott got recruited by WVU. Or Austin pleasant at coal Grove went to Ohio university. Or Pittman from Ashland to Army. Or ridgewood, their two d lineman we’re going to Ohio State. You either are D1 or you’re not. You can have all the connections you want. Burgs last true D1 talent went to play basketball. Who cares how many letters colleges send to a kid. My kid, who wasn’t d1, got them every day from somewhere in the sport they played. But ended up in the place that fit the best. Ironton just sounds a horn every time someone gets one, which is fine, but I’m not buying the whole “we get them noticed” talk just for the sake of getting kids to play at ironton.

Denial is a powerful drug. If they were doing this at Wheelersburg you guys would be eating it up. It’s funny how much what’s going on in Ironton affects the Burg faithful. This is coming from an outsider of both programs.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

XandOs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:06 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Denial is a powerful drug. If they were doing this at Wheelersburg you guys would be eating it up. It’s funny how much what’s going on in Ironton affects the Burg faithful. This is coming from an outsider of both programs.
Not affecting me at all. I would think it was dumb at burg too if they were sounding a boom horn every time a kid got an offer. But that’s just me. Many of the intelligent understand why they are doing it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 pm There are lots of kids that should be playing, but they don't for one reason or another.

This player is another example of a kid that transferred open entrollment and now realizes it was a mistake to do so.
Well this statement tops the list of SMH moments. WOW, clueless.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I'm sorry man but it's not 1990, there's so so many ways for kids to get noticed now let's not act like a coach is the only way a kid can be recruited again if it was 1990 I'd agree 100%. However that ship as sailed with all the new technology teams have to access game films of teams, every college holding their own camps, camps on top of camps for players to move up just to be recruited. Recruitment showcases, recruitment tours, all of the outside training facilities available who in turn open doors and these training places take kids on recruitment tours. I'm sorry but you're living under a rock if you believe a coach holds the key to getting recruited, can he or she help or hurt you absolutely but can they make or break you absolutely not.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

greygoose wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:43 am
SWHITE2002 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:14 pm There are lots of kids that should be playing, but they don't for one reason or another.

This player is another example of a kid that transferred open entrollment and now realizes it was a mistake to do so.
Opinionated yes. But Clueless No. It is people's right to do what they want with their children. But the kid implied here has been at 3 different schools, his brother 4 schools by 6th grade. And there are countless other kids in the same boat because parents think playing at X school or program is gonna get your kid noticed.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 am

Opinionated yes. But Clueless No. It is people's right to do what they want with their children. But the kid implied here has been at 3 different schools, his brother 4 schools by 6th grade. And there are countless other kids in the same boat because parents think playing at X school or program is gonna get your kid noticed.

I have heard that he wasn’t playing after reading this but I have not heard anything in the form of him making a mistake. What I hear is that he really likes basketball and wanted to play aau and focus on that.
Last edited by wobycat on Sun May 16, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 am

So in all of your explanation there isn't any indication of the kid realizing he made a mistake, that's simply you implying that notion which isn't right. Seems like the young man wants to focus on basketball and if that's his 1st love then go for it. If he plays great if he doesn't great Burg will still have a team regardless, he's not going to make or break their season.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

If we are talking about the kid that started at West, I heard last night the Dad was moving to Ironton. Just hear say.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:51 pm If we are talking about the kid that started at West, I heard last night the Dad was moving to Ironton. Just hear say.

We were talking about the kid who is currently at burg not at west. I feel the transfer thing is kind of out of control.

Hopefully he’s doing this because his dad has to move and not for football. Especially if he takes a kids spot. Ironton has had over 12 newcomers in the last two years alone.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

I’ve gotten word from a source close to the cause,that Ohio is passing legislation allowing all students, including the class of 2021 to repeat an academic year to either supplement or retake classes and are allowed another year of athletic eligibility. As many doubted, Jake Gregg may in fact be staying another year at the Burg, along with maybe some more familiar faces...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:11 pm I’ve gotten word from a source close to the cause,that Ohio is passing legislation allowing all students, including the class of 2021 to repeat an academic year to either supplement or retake classes and are allowed another year of athletic eligibility. As many doubted, Jake Gregg may in fact be staying another year at the Burg, along with maybe some more familiar faces...
Some who turned 19 their senior year will now be turning 20 if they return for another year.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

smurray wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:04 pm
PirateFan[69] wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:11 pm I’ve gotten word from a source close to the cause,that Ohio is passing legislation allowing all students, including the class of 2021 to repeat an academic year to either supplement or retake classes and are allowed another year of athletic eligibility. As many doubted, Jake Gregg may in fact be staying another year at the Burg, along with maybe some more familiar faces...
Some who turned 19 their senior year will now be turning 20 if they return for another year.
Scratching my receding hairline. I hope this doesn’t pass.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

smurray wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:04 pm
Bill says you must be younger than 19 to participate in athletics once more.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Why would you allow guys to play until their 20th birthday now, but limit them with this?

If the reason for this is academics then the rule shouldn't change because all kids were impacted by Covid

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Ridiculous rule imo if it gets passed so many want to put asterisk next to the 2020 season this will have them in 2021 as well for those who got a “5th year”

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Back to the approaching kickoff to the 2021 SOC 2 football season.

Summer sessions, 7 on 7's and scrimmages are behind us. From the evidence at hand, has anyone changed their minds as to how the season will unwind? I think the early summer consensus was Wheelersburg on top followed by West and Waverly. Is there now a different scenario in anyone's mind?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”