Week 8: Wheelersburg vs Waverly

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Re: Week 8: Wheelersburg vs Waverly

Post by LetsBeReal »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:23 pm
bleed_blue wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:38 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:37 pm A side note on this game. This is Burg’s Homecoming game! I’ve lived in Burg since 1971.

Burg has never lost a football homecoming game in that time span!!

Does that streak end Friday? Only time will tell!!
I believe they lost to west in 2001 7-0 and it was homecoming.

I stand corrected. You are right sir!! Burg did lose to West that year and that or the Waverly game would have been a date in October that it might have been Homecoming.

Also, 2001 was the last time Waverly won at Burg in very convincing fashion. Score was 50-21. Waverly had that stud WR that year, Creed ?
Miller, smurray has called creed smith creed Miller once already this year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:17 pm
bleed_blue wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:38 pm

I believe they lost to west in 2001 7-0 and it was homecoming.

I stand corrected. You are right sir!! Burg did lose to West that year and that or the Waverly game would have been a date in October that it might have been Homecoming.

Also, 2001 was the last time Waverly won at Burg in very convincing fashion. Score was 50-21. Waverly had that stud WR that year, Creed ?
Come on now, I have no idea where that came from…

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

smurray wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Thinking backing wasn’t it Creed Miller??

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:43 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:39 pm

Thinking backing wasn’t it Creed Miller??
Yep

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I'm not really sure just how good of a pass defense that the Burg has? If the Tigers have all day to throw the ball, they probably no doubt are going to have some success. Likewise just how good is the Tigers run defense, if the Pirates have success running the ball, they will pound you all night long. It could just come down to just which line, offense and defense, is able to control the line of scrimmage? I would also feel safe in saying that it will probably be one of if not the largest crowds of the year for a game in SEO. Should be a great ballgame, hope both teams have an injury free game.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Omega wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:17 pm Historical side note, Waverly has only won once in their last twenty-three trips to Ed Miller Stadium.
That is going back a long way. Since you are quoting history, go a little farther and check the results. However, the results of past games mean very little at this point.

Bdog_198807
Varsity

Post by Bdog_198807 »

Big_Spicy_MeatBall wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:50 am Waverly finds themselves in another scorcher. This time they get burned. Burg on a fg.
I could see that happening. They literally lost that Jackson game by a couple inches.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Waverly has wins at Wheelersburg in:

1936: 15-0
1956: 19-13
1958: 34-0
1960: 6-2
1962: 34-0
1964: 30-0
1968: 18-6
2001: 50-21

Wheelersburg holds a 47-27 record against Waverly. Waverly only has 5 wins against Wheelersburg since 1974.
Those years are:

1988: 27-24 @ Waverly
2001: see above
2002: 33-21 @ Waverly
2006: 34-14 @ Waverly
2020: 36-35 (OT) @ Waverly

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

old benchwarmer wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:14 am
Omega wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:17 pm Historical side note, Waverly has only won once in their last twenty-three trips to Ed Miller Stadium.
That is going back a long way. Since you are quoting history, go a little farther and check the results. However, the results of past games mean very little at this point.
History belongs in the discussion to highlight for fans what a difficult task is in store for the Tigers. The past should have no bearing on the game. It is Jimmy against Joe, and X's versus O's. Yet does the psychology of expectations enter into the fray with doubt become the 12th man for the opposing team?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I believe the other Tigers win this one, after playing Waverly in a scrimmage and dominating the Burg the way we did. The Waverly Tigers take the upper hand in the SOC by winning this one.

Waverly ———— 28
Wheelersburg - 17

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:02 pm I believe the other Tigers win this one, after playing Waverly in a scrimmage and dominating the Burg the way we did. The Waverly Tigers take the upper hand in the SOC by winning this one.

Waverly ———— 28
Wheelersburg - 17
Have you looked at the stats of that domination? The score was not indicating of the actual game. It was an indication of turnovers. Ironton is +8 favorite right now. Waverly is a pickem. Edge to burg since it’s at home.

BullTanks
Waterboy

Post by BullTanks »

Might have to make the hour n half trip to watch this one!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Quiet chatting on this one. Waverly still fighting injury bug?. Burg had two starters out this past week. Hopefully they can return

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

wobycat wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:47 pm Quiet chatting on this one. Waverly still fighting injury bug?. Burg had two starters out this past week. Hopefully they can return
Waverly has 4 starters out for the season.
Hurd was not back anywhere near 100% against Valley and Smith is out for the season (broken fibula).
Tigers did get a couple kids back for the Valley game..
I’m hoping the injury situation has leveled off - Tigers still have enough talent to get it done. There are however issues that need cleaned up and straightened out. Hopefully that is getting done.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Everyone has injuries and for some reason they all seem to be serious and or season ending. That being said, I still feel Waverly has too much talent for BURG to overcome. Hope I'm wrong but I see the tigers taking this one.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I like Burgs chances in this game. I think that Burgs tough schedule will pay dividends also IMO Burg is more physical than Waverly. BURG 31 TO 21 . Burg just needs to limit the turnovers like they have the last couple games. I just hope its an injury free game and safe travels to Waverly THE ED will be packed Friday and the excitement of this game will play a big part

Burg grad 85
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Interested to how Waverly will attack Burgs defense. Both Futhey and Morrison have been a lethal combo this season I’m curious to if Burg will take one of them away or what they decided to do. Also Waverly has to have a run game somewhat to keep Burg off balance. If we can force some turnovers it will pay dividends as long as we execute

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

scott1297 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:51 pm I like Burgs chances in this game. I think that Burgs tough schedule will pay dividends also IMO Burg is more physical than Waverly. BURG 31 TO 21 . Burg just needs to limit the turnovers like they have the last couple games. I just hope its an injury free game and safe travels to Waverly THE ED will be packed Friday and the excitement of this game will play a big part
Waverly has been much more physical then years past. Not saying they will be more physical than the Pirates, just saying they are more physical overall than last year.
Turnovers could be the decider in this one.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

smurray wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:14 pm
scott1297 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:51 pm I like Burgs chances in this game. I think that Burgs tough schedule will pay dividends also IMO Burg is more physical than Waverly. BURG 31 TO 21 . Burg just needs to limit the turnovers like they have the last couple games. I just hope its an injury free game and safe travels to Waverly THE ED will be packed Friday and the excitement of this game will play a big part
Waverly has been much more physical then years past. Not saying they will be more physical than the Pirates, just saying they are more physical overall than last year.
Turnovers could be the decider in this one.
Burg has probably lost more starters to injury than waverly. Zero reason waverly doesn’t win this game. Burg will play hard tho and they’re dangerous as an underdog

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I think burg has to play Waverly man up and take their chances on a couple of deep bombs. Hopefully that will put a little pressure on the QB and protect the inside zone runs.

Offensively I believe burg can move the ball on the ground. The line play has gotten better and #2 rb is looking a little like he did last year he’s had a slow start this year

Return to “Football”