Round 3- #5. Portsmouth West (11-1) Vs # 1. Ironton (12-0)

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Re: Round 3- #5. Portsmouth West (11-1) Vs # 1. Ironton (12-0)

Post by MrPerfect »

The games will be tough sledding for both teams from here on out.
On paper I can agree with most that the Tigers look to be too much for the Senators. When it comes to who put in the work, conditioned better, and is just more prepared for this moment, I would have to side with Ironton. West defenders outside of their corners look to struggle in pass coverage and the safety play hasn’t been great. Ironton will expose the middle of the secondary with the many weapons they have at wideout. I hope for a good competitive regional semifinal game, but just not sold on it actually happening. Funny thing is we can speculate all we want , but the game still has to be played.

WWE HALL OF FAME
Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

MrPerfect wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:59 am The games will be tough sledding for both teams from here on out.
On paper I can agree with most that the Tigers look to be too much for the Senators. When it comes to who put in the work, conditioned better, and is just more prepared for this moment, I would have to side with Ironton. West defenders outside of their corners look to struggle in pass coverage and the safety play hasn’t been great. Ironton will expose the middle of the secondary with the many weapons they have at wideout. I hope for a good competitive regional semifinal game, but just not sold on it actually happening. Funny thing is we can speculate all we want , but the game still has to be played.

great post!

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Re: Round 3. Ironton v West

Post by CrackBack46 »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:55 am
Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:15 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 pm

My guess is West is going to watch film from the Burg-Ironton and Jackson-Ironton games because that was the two closest games Ironton had all year.

Ironton goes in thinking they are going to destroy West might be in for a rude awakening. Anyone remember what happened in this week for Ironton last year?? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I sure hope so!
That Tiger team doesn’t exist any longer.

This edition of IHS FB THAT coach PenTon has developed had so many new threats, that any on offense can be a threat for 6 points each series.

They Finally opened the playbook from the Lutz era, opening with the wishbone & Keyes gutted P-Town on the second play via a deep run to set up the first TD on 3rd play of first series.

Three straight TD’s in 2-3 plays first 3-possessions, & then Coach & Carpenter & Crew opened up the aerial attack for the next 20+ points.

Finally, the mix of offense is in balance at right time & the quick, VERY QUICK D letting very little materialize for opponents.

Penalties cleaned up too!!!!

Just gotta heal up a-few dinged up 1’s & they All Rested after HT KICKOFF the rest of the game tonight, while IHS 2’s & 3’s held PHS 1-s to 1-TD.!!!

So much balance this year & it's apparent & diffuct to dispute. FILM PROVES IT…

BUT, there is still more to come!!!

PW is no joke either & i think will be IHS toughest test since Jackson & JohnSon Central KY.

Still,a COMPLETELY DIFF IHS team has emerged since the FairLand Debaucle & i think the tigers are well prepared for a very talented West Squad & ABSOLUTELY NO IronTon:

FAN
PLAYER
OR
COACH

WILL EVER overlook WEST!

This is not the same team in round 3 last year where they were still struggling without starting QB & also many deeply injured starters that exited post season prematurely, in some eyes, but NOT to those of us who saw no pivotal turnaround like this year…

Good Luck & Health To PwHs &

THE

IronTon FighTing Tigers!!!

IMPRESSIVE!!!!

#GoTgo
Didn't Ironton need a last second stop in the red zone to escape against Gallia? If Ironton isn't fully locked in, they'll be in for a nasty surprise in this one. I'm picking West with the upset 34-20
Ironton hasn't gave up 34 points all year. What explosive play maker does west have that will put up that many scores?

tigerfan83
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan83 »

I think Ironton will win big .go TIGERS .Where will be the game site ?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:48 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am This could be an interesting game however, Ironton has something West struggles with and that' the pass, I think most are going to think run run run but I won't be surprised to see Ironton test that secondary. Sissel is going to get his biggest test to date and after going up against teams like JC and a back like Hall Ironton should be more than prepared for his style of running. Ironton 31, West 14
I agree except for that I believe West does not struggle with the pass. Tipton has gotten a lot more targets which takes the weight off of Bishops shoulders, but I do believe Sissel will be the predominant force West uses against Ironton
West struggles to stop the pass and Ironton has plenty of weapons to expose that.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

We played a little reserved last night. A little rusty with some uncharacteristic dropped balls and throws. CA played pretty good overall defense until we wore them out with Sissel. This season has been all you could ask for, we are playing on house money at this point. But every West fan that has watched this team know there is more that can be done, I don’t care who they are playing.

All the pressure is on Ironton. With that team of all stars, anything less than a state championship should be a bust. The clear favorite and can’t really pick against them. Loaded with talent all across the board. If they think they are gonna intimidate any of those boys on the field against them they are wrong though. You are going against some very hard nosed,tough and scrappy guys that have played together their whole lives. Might not have stars next to their name, but don’t let the athleticism fool you. They can match up just fine. They have great chemistry that has been built through the years of playing beside one another. That is one intangible the tigers don’t have. Our secondary has improved. Hasn’t been against top tier QBs or WRs , but they have improved. I’m not saying we are better than Jackson or JC but we could play with them just the same. I’m not making any predictions, just want the boys to know we are all proud of them and believe in them. No one on here is gonna pick you and that doesn’t mean a thing. They think they can win, and they can do it.

20 years ago West went to Zanseville to play a Youngstown Ursaline team in the state semis. Loaded with talent going to penn state and Ohio state. Absolutely no one in the world gave them a chance that night. Everyone was already talking about the Kenton vs Ursaline matchup in the state championship game the next week. Only problem was, Ursaline didn’t get to play in that game. Go Siders

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

I-TownFanatic wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:16 pm Image

West getting knocked out

can't stop a moving train
How’d that work against Wheelersburg last year?

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

OVC wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:18 am

West getting knocked out

Last year ? Is that all you got ??

SiderSam
Waterboy

Post by SiderSam »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:37 am

West getting knocked out

I’ve already said they say it only takes a few “rocks” on the track to derail this so called train lol. Also I will say this, If West can develop extreme discipline and mental toughness they can compete and potentially win this game. It will come down to doing the little things right and not letting the stage become too big!
In 2002 a West team defies the odds and proved everyone wrong.
Now here we are here 20 years later in a similar situation. I’m not saying that the results will be the same, But I wouldn’t say they won’t neither 😏

🟠⬛️WESTSIDE🟠⬛️
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Weather may curb Irontons passing attack. Supposed to be rainy at the end of the week. If that is the case, could give west a neutralizer.

Edge to Ironton right now.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

wobycat wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:04 am Weather may curb Irontons passing attack. Supposed to be rainy at the end of the week. If that is the case, could give west a neutralizer.

Edge to Ironton right now.
Great point about weather. I see West having trouble stopping Ironton’s passing attack. But if it rainy and windy, that favors West big time.*

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:37 am

West getting knocked out

All I’m saying is that is why you play the game. Ironton was ten times better than Wheelersburg last season and still got beat. Any team is beatable any given time.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Any word on location yet?

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

I heard Zane trace

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Not nearly enough seating at Zane Trace. Only way it’s there is if Portsmouth and Valley didn’t put in for the fame

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Re: Round 3. Ironton v West

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:55 am
Tjhtygeverve wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:15 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 pm

My guess is West is going to watch film from the Burg-Ironton and Jackson-Ironton games because that was the two closest games Ironton had all year.

Ironton goes in thinking they are going to destroy West might be in for a rude awakening. Anyone remember what happened in this week for Ironton last year?? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I sure hope so!
That Tiger team doesn’t exist any longer.

This edition of IHS FB THAT coach PenTon has developed had so many new threats, that any on offense can be a threat for 6 points each series.

They Finally opened the playbook from the Lutz era, opening with the wishbone & Keyes gutted P-Town on the second play via a deep run to set up the first TD on 3rd play of first series.

Three straight TD’s in 2-3 plays first 3-possessions, & then Coach & Carpenter & Crew opened up the aerial attack for the next 20+ points.

Finally, the mix of offense is in balance at right time & the quick, VERY QUICK D letting very little materialize for opponents.

Penalties cleaned up too!!!!

Just gotta heal up a-few dinged up 1’s & they All Rested after HT KICKOFF the rest of the game tonight, while IHS 2’s & 3’s held PHS 1-s to 1-TD.!!!

So much balance this year & it's apparent & diffuct to dispute. FILM PROVES IT…

BUT, there is still more to come!!!

PW is no joke either & i think will be IHS toughest test since Jackson & JohnSon Central KY.

Still,a COMPLETELY DIFF IHS team has emerged since the GALLIA Debacle.

Didn't Ironton need a last second stop in the red zone to escape against Gallia? If Ironton isn't fully locked in, they'll be in for a nasty surprise in this one. I'm picking West with the upset 34-20
You are absolutely correct.

I transposed the two squads a corrected my early am typo.

Ironton handled FairLand fairly easy, 34-14, & The debacle was -V- Gallia.

I still think IHS MARCHES ON IN THIS MATCH UP TOO!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 am We played a little reserved last night. A little rusty with some uncharacteristic dropped balls and throws. CA played pretty good overall defense until we wore them out with Sissel. This season has been all you could ask for, we are playing on house money at this point. But every West fan that has watched this team know there is more that can be done, I don’t care who they are playing.

All the pressure is on Ironton. With that team of all stars, anything less than a state championship should be a bust. The clear favorite and can’t really pick against them. Loaded with talent all across the board. If they think they are gonna intimidate any of those boys on the field against them they are wrong though. You are going against some very hard nosed,tough and scrappy guys that have played together their whole lives. Might not have stars next to their name, but don’t let the athleticism fool you. They can match up just fine. They have great chemistry that has been built through the years of playing beside one another. That is one intangible the tigers don’t have. Our secondary has improved. Hasn’t been against top tier QBs or WRs , but they have improved. I’m not saying we are better than Jackson or JC but we could play with them just the same. I’m not making any predictions, just want the boys to know we are all proud of them and believe in them. No one on here is gonna pick you and that doesn’t mean a thing. They think they can win, and they can do it.

20 years ago West went to Zanseville to play a Youngstown Ursaline team in the state semis. Loaded with talent going to penn state and Ohio state. Absolutely no one in the world gave them a chance that night. Everyone was already talking about the Kenton vs Ursaline matchup in the state championship game the next week. Only problem was, Ursaline didn’t get to play in that game. Go Siders
Nice, I'm pulling for West can't help but to love the underdog right?? However, that year was possibly the best West team to come through ever the weather was terrible and Ursaline fumbled numerous times. The point of me pointing that out, it's going to take that type of game from Ironton to allow West to pull off this upset. Toe to toe evenly played game West just doesn't have the horses across the board especially from a depth standpoint.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:34 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 am We played a little reserved last night. A little rusty with some uncharacteristic dropped balls and throws. CA played pretty good overall defense until we wore them out with Sissel. This season has been all you could ask for, we are playing on house money at this point. But every West fan that has watched this team know there is more that can be done, I don’t care who they are playing.

Nice, I'm pulling for West can't help but to love the underdog right?? However, that year was possibly the best West team to come through ever the weather was terrible and Ursaline fumbled numerous times. The point of me pointing that out, it's going to take that type of game from Ironton to allow West to pull off this upset. Toe to toe evenly played game West just doesn't have the horses across the board especially from a depth standpoint.
I would disagree a little bit actually on the greatest team ever at West. Obviously very good, no one goes that far that isn’t. But we have had a few over the years that I actually think were more talented , just under achieved. And I think some teams way back in the day were very good but didn’t get a chance with it only being 4 teams and 3 classes. And yes there was fumbles but that’s football. We will definitely need some of that luck.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Ray Finkle
Waterboy

Post by Ray Finkle »

CA did not play well. They’ve struggled with stopping the run all season and did a decent job of containing Sissel. True, they finally got worn down defensively. Once CA’s RB got hurt, they couldn’t get anything going offensively.

Ironton will win with a running clock next week.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Ironton is rolling and cleaned up penalties last night. If they continue to play like that they will roll.

Return to “Football”