2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:11 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:47 pm I like the look of next years pirates. Offense will be ready to go day 1. Will miss some of the lineman but they have a good set of backups.

Defense will be challenging but they have some nice players that will be ready to go. The inexperience will show early but the strength of pirate teams year in and out is the defense. I do wish the pirates would be more aggressive in blitzing but they will always be sound and disciplined.

Special teams will be fine as well.
3-4 losses as usual? Seems to have become the norm
Possible with the schedule. I think Jackson they can get at home. Ironton maybe at home. The other two no idea.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:25 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:47 pm I like the look of next years pirates. Offense will be ready to go day 1. Will miss some of the lineman but they have a good set of backups.

Defense will be challenging but they have some nice players that will be ready to go. The inexperience will show early but the strength of pirate teams year in and out is the defense. I do wish the pirates would be more aggressive in blitzing but they will always be sound and disciplined.

Possible with the schedule. I think Jackson they can get at home. Ironton maybe at home. The other two no idea.
You really think they are beating prep?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:56 pm

I have no idea what prep is losing. That’s why I said that I have no idea.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:05 pm

Does it really matter?
One thing burg has proven the last 3-4 yrs is we can no longer beat ironton or Jackson and certainly not prep.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:19 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:05 pm

Does it really matter?
One thing burg has proven the last 3-4 yrs is we can no longer beat ironton or Jackson and certainly not prep.
Ok

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Just an outsider looking in: I don't see much of a separation between, Ironton, Jackson, Hp and Burg.

Ironton is fast out of the gates but they lose steam, quickly.

The Pirates are slower but peak during playoffs. The Pirates play defense, always, but have lost their way on the offensive side. No identity. Helter Skelter philosophy has cost them recently.

I'd never discount the program and system. NEVER!!

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

I gauge per recent results. As far as Burg goes last 2 seasons vs Ironton, Jackson, and Prep they are 0 - 8.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Tri_State79 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:12 pm I gauge per recent results. As far as Burg goes last 2 seasons vs Ironton, Jackson, and Prep they are 0 - 8.
Very true but Burg is always player better at the end of the year than Ironton and Jackson maybe not prep they are a different breed imo if Burg would play Ironton maybe game 7 -8-or 9 Burg would win almost every time. That was proven in the 2021 playoffs at Portsmouth thats just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel about it

Burg grad 85
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

2019: Wheelersburg gets housed by Ridgewood, Ironton beats them
2020: Wheelersburg loses to Ridgewood in a close one, Ironton beats them
2021: Wheelersburg beats Ironton
2022: Wheelersburg gets beat by Harvest Prep, Ironton houses them
2023: Harvest Prep beats both, with Ironton having far more success

SEOPS verdict: Wheelersburg is better at the end of the season

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:33 pm 2019: Wheelersburg gets housed by Ridgewood, Ironton beats them

agree, kind of a joke
but I guess it makes burg fans feel better thinking they can beat ironton and jackson in imaginary matchups since they can no longer beat ironton or jackson on the feild

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:33 pm 2019: Wheelersburg gets housed by Ridgewood, Ironton beats them

Ironton is good at the end of the season. Most are saying that because burg has done more with the talent they have been given year in and out. While Ironton has had really good kids come in. Basically burg overachieves and Ironton under achieves.

Ironton was really good this year. They had some weaknesses but they had really good talent. They lacked depth. That was their biggest problem. I think both burg and Ironton will have depth issues next year. But both will be tough outs

Tri_State79
Varsity

Post by Tri_State79 »

Burg fans are delulu lol

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

do you think the difficult schedule is making the program better or is it just adding 2-3 sure fire losses to the schedule every year. I'm not sure were going any farther in the playoffs than we would without playing ironton, jackson and prep. I'm starting to see after all the losses that the kids go into those games now not believing they can win. If you can go watch the prep playoff film. Some of our kids appeared to be going through the motions? maybe its just me expecting to much. Asking because I think you know Burg football and respect your opinion

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:42 pm

do you think the difficult schedule is making the program better or is it just adding 2-3 sure fire losses to the schedule every year. I'm not sure were going any farther in the playoffs than we would without playing ironton, jackson and prep. I'm starting to see after all the losses that the kids go into those games now not believing they can win. If you can go watch the prep playoff film. Some of our kids appeared to be going through the motions? maybe its just me expecting to much. Asking because I think you know Burg football and respect your opinion
Adding Prep this year made for a tougher than normal schedule, but before this year, the schedule has been quite consistent for decades.

As for your question about the kids, do not know. Very good chance it’s becoming a mental problem. Winning and losing can be habit forming.

My question: is the coaching staff still pursuing excellence? Are they hungry or becoming complacent? It appears four loss seasons are becoming acceptable because I’m not seeing any changes.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I know that playing a worse schedule won’t make you a better team.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:14 pm I know that playing a worse schedule won’t make you a better team.
Strength of schedule is overrated. Don’t want 10 cupcakes, but don’t want a bunch of tough games either. Kirtland plays a couple decent teams every year with most games being blowouts. They do just fine come playoff time.

I’d argue that small schools playing too difficult a schedule is bad for playoff success. Just don’t have the depth to handle many competitive games.

But we’ll see next year how well Ironton’s tougher schedule helps them.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I think you are who you are. Tough schedule or not. These seniors were a bunch of kids who grew up playing burg football other than lattimore who I thought came in and bought in and played well. I wish that kid the best. Seems like a great kid. But they grew up. Most thought they wouldn’t be very good. In fact, the team ahead of them were supposed to be a team to make more noise but it ended up this team going farther.

There is a lot on the burg kids. First there is the pressure of winning. I know they practice long hours week in and week out. They also have leadership breakfast early morning on game days. Not sure if that makes them gassed towards the end of a long season. I think back just the last three years and burg was regional runner up two out of the three years and we’ve had more talented past teams. Prep is just a recruiting machine like Hartley back in the day. Tough to overcome.

It’s hard to say if the kids are gassed. They seem to build momentum towards the end but this past game they weren’t very sharp. So who knows.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Jackson loses their homerun hitter but returns almost everyone else . I think Jackson will be much improved.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:47 pm

I think you are who you are. Tough schedule or not. These seniors were a bunch of kids who grew up playing burg football other than lattimore who I thought came in and bought in and played well. I wish that kid the best. Seems like a great kid. But they grew up. Most thought they wouldn’t be very good. In fact, the team ahead of them were supposed to be a team to make more noise but it ended up this team going farther.

There is a lot on the burg kids. First there is the pressure of winning. I know they practice long hours week in and week out. They also have leadership breakfast early morning on game days. Not sure if that makes them gassed towards the end of a long season. I think back just the last three years and burg was regional runner up two out of the three years and we’ve had more talented past teams. Prep is just a recruiting machine like Hartley back in the day. Tough to overcome.

It’s hard to say if the kids are gassed. They seem to build momentum towards the end but this past game they weren’t very sharp. So who knows.
honest reply, thanks
I think the 2022 group might have been better if there qb hadnt quit on them and moved to PHS

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:14 pm I know that playing a worse schedule won’t make you a better team.
is it possible playing a better schedule with more losses can develop a losing culture?

Return to “Football”