WK1 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WHEELERSBURG @IRONTON.WEEK 1 -YOUR THOUGHTS.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

we must wrap up when we tackle every time this season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i remember a game against Columbus Hartley years ago-- where they ran all over us n won the state. but we ran all over them as well.what killed us in that game was poorly executed tackles. they had a blue chip running back, his name escapes me. but every time nearly that he ran, we were maintaining our gaps, and were where we were supposed to be. many times he got stopped at the LOS.but poor tackling beat us. i never been more frustrated leaving a game after the loss. all the way home i was beside myself knowing the tigers were the better team. but we just refused to tackle. that can't happen any more. i think the game was at logan.but ironton had them where they wanted them. but you can't let a great back not pay the toll.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it was a playoff game. if I'm not mistaken we beat them in the regular season the lost in maybe the regional game.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

YTB the running back you are talking about I think his name was Keys. There were some really bad calls in that game. One call cost them the game was a 15 yarder and it was after Ironton had held them on a 4th down and long at their own 30 yard line. They went on to win the state by about 60 points.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

oh I remember.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that may have been his name. I'm thinking he went to purdue or Indiana after high school.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

burg grad that was a slick video. I love stuff like that hoss. and I love that song but I never heard it before. sounds like a football song don't it. I love hype videos.no matter what team I'm watching them of.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

burg does this onside kick / short kick because its the smartest play in high school football (risk vs reward) I cant believe most teams around this area have not picked up on this yet!!

all your giving up is a slight 10-20 yd field advantage with a chance of recovering the ball and taking away the other team starting offense 1st!! there is like 0.000001 chance in this play being returned for TD

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

at's what I mean about hands people on the front row.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

cg-ironton fan wrote:burg does this onside kick / short kick because its the smartest play in high school football (risk vs reward) I cant believe most teams around this area have not picked up on this yet!!

all your giving up is a slight 10-20 yd field advantage with a chance of recovering the ball and taking away the other team starting offense 1st!! there is like 0.000001 chance in this play being returned for TD
The kicking game can be a real weapon. Our kicker will be a jr. this year and has been kicking the past 2 years with great success on PATs, onside kicks, and a few field goals as well. On a side note, it was his older brother who connected on the long field goal that won everyone wings in 2013.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

cg-ironton fan wrote:burg does this onside kick / short kick because its the smartest play in high school football (risk vs reward) I cant believe most teams around this area have not picked up on this yet!!

I view Burg's fearlessness in using the onside kick just as much about the swagger they bring to the game as I do the fact (you are right) that there is not a big penalty as yardage given up if it indeed does fail to result in a turnover.

The way they look at if you recover it then we gonna stop you 3 and out; if you bobble it and Burg recovers they gonna score and take the momentum from you.

Just kind of fits their overall mentality as to how they approach the game in my opinion.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i definitely see it as a swagger moves as well 643. we have to make them pay for the favorable field position. main thing is to keep them from kicking. generally if they're kicking then they have scored.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i definitely see it as a swagger moves as well 643. we have to make them pay for the favorable field position. main thing is to keep them from kicking. generally if they're kicking then they have scored.
Exactly, if you have just scored and the momentum is going your way, taking that chance isn't as big of a risk because the other team is hanging their head a bit because they were just scored on. Of course, never rule out an onside kick to start the game either :122249

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

I just wonder if the kicker is given the green light to kick as to how he reads the field or if its a predetermined kick!!! I seen burg kicker kick short(sideline kick) hoping that the bounce is straight up in air and they almost recovered this type kick last year

regardless , I just hope ironton has prepared for this play and hopefully burg only gets 1 kickoff LOL

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Sometimes it is predetermined, sometimes they get a signal from the sideline. I don't think it is ever based on the kicker's read of the field because the other 10 have to get some type of signal what is going on.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I would not think so. too big a risk not to come from the coach.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

I've been reading some of the comments on the board concerning play calling in scrimmages and not wanting to expose/disclose what a team may or may not be doing in the coming season. I'm not sure if that is a smart move. What works on the practice field against the #2s can be a miserable failure in an organized game against an opponents #1s. Scrimmages are a time to test, evaluate, and tweak an offensive or defensive scheme. It's certainly not the time to go generic and wait for the regular season to unload, IMO. Of course, some people think you can run a high school program like a D-1 college program or the NFL. In any event, I'm sure this game will live up to the hype. It always does.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

4th n Goal wrote:Sometimes it is predetermined, sometimes they get a signal from the sideline. I don't think it is ever based on the kicker's read of the field because the other 10 have to get some type of signal what is going on.
It comes from the box. They watch what the return team is doing. Usually it happens when they start to turn their backs before the ball is kicked. Other times, I think they just say do it and see what happens. Either way it makes the game more exciting.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

FIDO (Forget It Drive On) wrote:I've been reading some of the comments on the board concerning play calling in scrimmages and not wanting to expose/disclose what a team may or may not be doing in the coming season. I'm not sure if that is a smart move. What works on the practice field against the #2s can be a miserable failure in an organized game against an opponents #1s. Scrimmages are a time to test, evaluate, and tweak an offensive or defensive scheme. It's certainly not the time to go generic and wait for the regular season to unload, IMO. Of course, some people think you can run a high school program like a D-1 college program or the NFL. In any event, I'm sure this game will live up to the hype. It always does.
You're right FIDO. However, as the season progresses the schemes need to evolve. New wrinkles every week, but still the same base from which they practice every week leading up to it. That way when you execute the new wrinkle the opposition is now back to guessing. And we all know what happens when kids start guessing.

Return to “Football”