Re: OVC and SOC Merger

Post by goUK »

I think theres a better chance of Ironton joining the FAC, which wont happen

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:08 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:03 pm [quote=mattash post_id=2023898 time=<a href="tel:1664762398">1664762398</a> user_id=2]
Then Portsmouth, Waverly, Gallia, Ironton, Burg and Jackson can start one.
Portsmouth would struggle to beat any of those teams. It’s not 2001 anymore. Trojans a .500 team most years.
Yeah I always laugh at these when I see them. Portsmouth would never win this league. Would likely finish last every year even. Trojans athletics aren’t what they used to be. They’d be the smallest school in this league. It’s not like they are the draw they once were. The stadium isn’t full on Friday nights, the gym isn’t full during basketball season anymore. I like what Kalb is doing with the football program. The basketball program was turned around by Collins, however in recent years it’s went down a bit. But pump the breaks on hypothetically joining a league that you’ll finish last in consistently. Make no sense not only from a football standpoint but other sports as well.
[/quote]

It’s a win for those schools, no one wants to admit it lol. Jackson would murder Portsmouth, burg would, ironton would. Hell northwest beat us in a playoff game 2 years ago lol.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Oh well. I fully expected to hear these responses. And you are not wrong because every school has their own agenda on their minds.
It’s a shame tho. Because it would be the best situation for so many schools.
But you guys are right. Ironton has probably pissed off too many. And Portsmouth would not compete year in and year out.
Waverly would never do this.
And Wheelersburg likes their situation better than what this would do.

It’s a shame.
I hope something changes somehow.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

this has been said at nauseum on here, however as much as it does need to happen, it never will happen.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:43 am this has been said at nauseum on here, however as much as it does need to happen, it never will happen.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nauseum or or not, it needs to continue. However I think I was looking at it all wrong.

SOC should invite Portsmouth, Ironton, Jackson, and Piketon. After They accept, lol, then reconfigure the conference to competitive balance, not school size, but competitive balance.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

baseball16 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:02 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:43 am this has been said at nauseum on here, however as much as it does need to happen, it never will happen.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nauseum or or not, it needs to continue. However I think I was looking at it all wrong.

SOC should invite Portsmouth, Ironton, Jackson, and Piketon. After They accept, lol, then reconfigure the conference to competitive balance, not school size, but competitive balance.
CB changes every 2 years I believe, you gonna adjust conference every 2 years too?

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

There are enough teams in 3 counties to make a solid conference with 3 divisions. Divisions 2 and 3 would have the most parity I believe. A merger would be awesome or the the two lower.divisions can breakaway and form their own conferences. The days of being loyal to a conference because of tradition went out with the transfer option. It has forever.changed the landscape.

I don't know anyone wanting to be cannon fodder each week.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:14 am
baseball16 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:02 am
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

CB changes every 2 years I believe, you gonna adjust conference every 2 years too?
I m not really talking about the CB from OHSAA. I m not a fan of that either. Anyone can look at the last 10 years and put together teams that would be competitive with one another for the most part. Yea, there are down years but overall teams could be put together to make it more competitive for all involved.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Randy’s Salvage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:18 am Waverly is pondering joining the FAC

What would they gain from this?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree, can't just go by numbers. I'd rather see leagues formed to be more competitive. I don't agree with Northwest moving to SOCII. If they had just dominated the SOCI for years, that would be a different story, but they haven't. Put them in a group with Valley, Minford, Piketon, Oak Hill, whoever else. As a Valley fan, I don't want Valley to move to SOCI, but staying in the SOCII will make it hard to compete year in and year out. I see Valley, Minford, Northwest and a few others as being stuck in the middle. I don't know what the answer is really, but times have changed, I think it's time to take a serious look at realigning things.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

FAC North

Washington
Miami trace
McClain
Hillsboro
Chillicothe- could move to the south and add 1-2 to the north

FAC South

Ironton
Burg
Gallia- doubt they would choose this over the ovc or tvc
Jackson
Waverly- not sure why they would leave the SOC

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

goUK wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:15 am FAC North

Washington
Miami trace
McClain
Hillsboro
Chillicothe- could move to the south and add 1-2 to the north

FAC South

Ironton
Burg
Gallia- doubt they would choose this over the ovc or tvc
Jackson
Waverly
Think Unioto would ever leave the SVC and join the FAC?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I understand this is a football thread..... but if the merger happens then where does South Webster go for basketball and other sports?

Right now you have 7 in the big conference, 8 in the middle conference, and 7 in the low conference.

No way in this world would South Webster ever agree to going to the bottom conference, but as structured that's about the only place you''d have room for them.

As you have it perhaps move South Point or Minford to top division (both may not love it but would love the gate $)... Webster to middle conference... add Western to lower conference and you have 3 divisions of 8.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

goUK wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:02 am
Randy’s Salvage wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:18 am Waverly is pondering joining the FAC

What would they gain from this?
They would gain nothing. D4 Waverly would be hard pressed to consistently compete with the predominately D3 FAC. The FAC would require more travel time and expense than the SOC2. I just do not see a long term advantage for Waverly. My thought is if Waverly would entertain any notion of leaving the SOC, it would be for the SVC.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am I understand this is a football thread..... but if the merger happens then where does South Webster go for basketball and other sports?

Right now you have 7 in the big conference, 8 in the middle conference, and 7 in the low conference.

No way in this world would South Webster ever agree to going to the bottom conference, but as structured that's about the only place you''d have room for them.

As you have it perhaps move South Point or Minford to top division (both may not love it but would love the gate $)... Webster to middle conference... add Western to lower conference and you have 3 divisions of 8.
Same with New Boston, what do you do with them?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

transplant wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:27 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am I understand this is a football thread..... but if the merger happens then where does South Webster go for basketball and other sports?

Same with New Boston, what do you do with them?

At least for basketball there's some more wiggle room to allow more schools in because of 22 game schedules. 10 game football schedules make large leagues less appealing for schools like Ironton and Wheelersburg, which I fully understand.

If Webster had any say they would/will push to say in the top division ---- assuming this scenario were to ever play out. Financially they would take way too big of a hit to do anything less. That, paired with the fact that they do have some bigger classes coming through in the future and could be knocking on D3's door, as well as geographical preferences, makes the top division the most appealing.

But would other schools sign off on such a thing? Who would have the ultimate authority to make such decisions?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

ADs love bigger conferences. It makes their scheduling a lot easier. 7 or 8 games conference games makes it easier to find non league games

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Right, with basketball's amount of games, its different. A bigger league is def less appealing for football. I know, Valley would take a hit financially too to drop. As a Valley guy, they would bring in more money playing Burg, Waverly, Minford, West, compared to Green, East, Notre dame. Way too many factors in play.

I guess it would some down to Athletic directors and input from the coaches? All coaches, not just certain sports. I really don't know.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

A lot of the schools in both conferences play each other during non league games. Burg/Ironton, Minford/Rock Hill, Valley/Coal Grove, West/ Fairland.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Yeah, also not buying the Waverly to FAC rumors going around. I just don't see the benefit for them there over the SOC. Waverly wants to be in SVC, but SVC doesn't want 'em.

As for Webster, I think they are safe in the top SOC division until other schools start joining SOC (if ever). If that happens, then Webster probably gets moved down to middle division with schools like Oak Hill, Valley, Northwest, etc. As bbjunky said, I don't see any scenario where they willingly go to SOC I as that would kill their gate and basketball is their biggest moneymaker.*

Return to “Football”