D5 State Semis! Final 4! Coldwater vs. Wheelersburg

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: D5 State Semis! Final 4! Coldwater vs. Wheelersburg

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Off the top of my head 5 teams I think would help the Burg better prepare.

Let's hear what you all think.
Long drives but if you get the boosters to help and you can work out making these a Sat night game, which should help with bigger crowds.

Columbus Beechcroft: drive 2:19 min DIV 3 Columbus City League.- Always a good hard nose team, with speed to burn.

St Clairsville" 3:31 drive Div 4 Ohio Valley team- Year in and year out a playoff team.

Bloom-Carroll" 1:58 min drive-Another bigger school that has turf field and plays a good brand of ball,with very quick athletes.

Belfry Ky- 2:01 Hour Drive- Ironton has made this drive. Belfry year in and year out makes a deep playoff run, usually makes it to the finals and has multiple titles.

Johnson Central,Ky- 1:49 min. drive- Another Ky school that make deep playoff runs year in and year out.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Like was stated above, I think the biggest hurdle for playing teams up around Columbus or western Ohio would be the cost. Most small schools just don't have the budget to travel that far for ballgames. Burg did that years ago and actually did a home and home with Coldwater I believe plus games up around Coshocton and they played St Clairsville too. Hard to travel that far if you don't have the funds available to do it. Coldwater has an advantage in their conference being THE best in the state and playing top notch competition every week.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

wobycat wrote:1. Coldwater is like an army. I watched them warm up, during the game, their reaction to the touchdown they gave up, and their overall awareness of the game. Everyone of those kids were in tuned to the game.
2. Scheduling is a must but kind of hard with finance.
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Like was stated above, I think the biggest hurdle for playing teams up around Columbus or western Ohio would be the cost. Most small schools just don't have the budget to travel that far for ballgames.

Instead of buying Camo jerseys that you barely use, put the fund raising $$$ into a fund designated just for travel. One thing I 've always respected about the W'burg community is, they will support their teams financially. If making a trip to find better competition is your goal, then the $$ has to be allocated to the right causes.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

vladimir wrote:
wobycat wrote:1. Coldwater is like an army. I watched them warm up, during the game, their reaction to the touchdown they gave up, and their overall awareness of the game. Everyone of those kids were in tuned to the game.
2. Scheduling is a must but kind of hard with finance.
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Like was stated above, I think the biggest hurdle for playing teams up around Columbus or western Ohio would be the cost. Most small schools just don't have the budget to travel that far for ballgames.

Instead of buying Camo jerseys that you barely use, put the fund raising $$$ into a fund designated just for travel. One thing I 've always respected about the W'burg community is, they will support their teams financially. If making a trip to find better competition is your goal, then the $$ has to be allocated to the right causes.
Those jerseys were privately donated by a community member. No football funds were spent for them. You can't tell someone how to spend their money.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

As a licensed financial planner that's what I do for a living. Don't act like the money isn't there, I don't buy it. Just saying, if you see your need is travel, and as also stated by a CW poster, the booster $$ may be your resource.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It may be but it never was allocated for jerseys.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Mason County Ky, had a great fund raiser before each home game.

They would run a buffet before each home game, open to all.

The food was supplied I believe by football parents and all of the money taken in went directly into the football program.

I believe that is how it worked.

My first time there I was with a few people from Maysville and the amount of food that was out and drinks(soda and water) was impressive and the amount we ate was unreal, and those working the buffet said eat more, there is plenty.

My first year the charge was 4 bucks the next two times, I believe it was 5.

One guy from there said the football program usually made a few grand, if not more with this fund raiser.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The more overarching theme when it comes to preparation is that so few southern Ohio teams are willing to take on better competition, you know, teams that may give you an "L". Burg did play Jackson, but Fairland needs to find their way off the schedule? North College Hill?!

If you want to play depth, good coaching, and good fundamentals, then give the CCL a ring. If you want to prepare for the pass, get a Western Buckeye League team on the schedule. Or a GCL co-ed (the small school part of the GCL) team.

The travel and money is a weak excuse. Pretty sure Valley has played a N Ohio school at a "halfway" point in recent years.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

wobycat wrote:It may be but it never was allocated for jerseys.

Fair enough, man. I just remember the first time you wore them, some Burg posters stated they thought it was a waste of $$. Maybe they were mistaken where the funds actually came from.

However, we are not so poor and broke down here we can't afford to travel 1 or 2 weeks outta the year. If it's a need, then you' guys can find a way to make it happen. Good luck!!

kodeman419
Waterboy

Post by kodeman419 »

Speaking of fund raisers... Did you guys hear what the winner of the 50/50 raffle took home when cold-water hosted Marion local???? Over $11,400!!! That was the split...smh

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Burg was one of the Best 4 Teams within the State of Ohio Div 5... They dominated every Team in Southern Ohio this Year...And will continue to dominate next year... I agree for them to compete with the likes of Coldwater they will need to replace a few teams on their schedule ... to gain the experience ...

kodeman419
Waterboy

Post by kodeman419 »

Sport Fan wrote:Burg was one of the Best 4 Teams within the State of Ohio Div 5... They dominated every Team in Southern Ohio this Year...And will continue to dominate next year... I agree for them to compete with the likes of Coldwater they will need to replace a few teams on their schedule ... to gain the experience ...
I would agree WB was the best in their region and maybe they are top 4 in the state within D5... But that is speculative. I did not get to see CHCA live but IMO, I would give brookville the edge if they met up with WB. I think they have the better defense, run game and play action pass. No disrespect intended, brookville suprised me and is coached by legendary coach al Hetrick's son... It showed.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Sport Fan wrote:Burg was one of the Best 4 Teams within the State of Ohio Div 5... They dominated every Team in Southern Ohio this Year...And will continue to dominate next year... I agree for them to compete with the likes of Coldwater they will need to replace a few teams on their schedule ... to gain the experience ...
Winning a regional doesn't mean you're necessarily one of 4 best teams in the state. Valley said the same thing all offseason last year. Playoff draw and region strength mean everything. Wheelersburg was good and they did dominate southern ohio this year but they were exposed last night. IMO, if Region 17 was at its normal strength we aren't having any of these conversations.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

knightruner wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:Athens, from the TVC, was ready last year. Came within a play of winning it all.
Thank Joe for that cause that's just about all they had. No D at all and that's why they lost. Not a complete team.
With those standards Wheelersburg has no defense or offense. Here is some reality since your stuck in 1989. You have to out score the other team. To beat St Ed, Colerain, Athens, LaSalle, TCC, or Cleveland Beannies you have to win in a shoot out. Those days of student body right and left are gone. Maybe D5-D7 but in the upper divisions you have to score

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Westfan wrote:
Winning a regional doesn't mean you're necessarily one of 4 best teams in the state. Valley said the same thing all offseason last year. Playoff draw and region strength mean everything. Wheelersburg was good and they did dominate southern ohio this year but they were exposed last night. IMO, if Region 17 was at its normal strength we aren't having any of these conversations.
They weren't exposed. They were best by a great team. More than likely the state winner. The region was weak but they blew out every team they played. They at least were in the top 7 of the state. At least they are getting there in the conversation.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Raider6309 wrote:
knightruner wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:Athens, from the TVC, was ready last year. Came within a play of winning it all.
Thank Joe for that cause that's just about all they had. No D at all and that's why they lost. Not a complete team.
With those standards Wheelersburg has no defense or offense. Here is some reality since your stuck in 1989. You have to out score the other team. To beat St Ed, Colerain, Athens, LaSalle, TCC, or Cleveland Beannies you have to win in a shoot out. Those days of student body right and left are gone. Maybe D5-D7 but in the upper divisions you have to score
Here is a reality check for you since you are stuck in 2014.

You scored 50+ points and lost. You have to be somewhat physical and actually have a defense to win championships. But don't worry too much that in the future since you will be finishing 5-5 and in the middle of the TVC for the foreseeable future.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

wobycat wrote:
Westfan wrote:
They weren't exposed. They were best by a great team. More than likely the state winner. The region was weak but they blew out every team they played. They at least were in the top 7 of the state. At least they are getting there in the conversation.
I agree, and I'm pretty sure Burg will be back next year and for a few years later! If Burg don't win State next year then they WILL the next!!!! you heard it here first!!!!!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

How much does Burg bring back. Defiently a learning experience playing the best. I'm sure Coldwater will roll CCC

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Abe Froman wrote:
Raider6309 wrote:
knightruner wrote:

You scored 50+ points and lost. You have to be somewhat physical and actually have a defense to win championships. But don't worry too much that in the future since you will be finishing 5-5 and in the middle of the TVC for the foreseeable future.
You obviously watched no games besides the championship. Athens held a high scoring Granville team to 14 pts in the post season. (11-0) Tri Valley scored just 20 in the regional semi's against Athens. Columbus St. Francis DeSales was also held to 20. Defending state champ, ASVSM, who scored 50 on Thurgood Marshal last year, 38 on Youngstown Ursulin and 33 on Archbishop Hoban - lost to Athens 34-31! So I guess Ursulin's, Thurgood's and Hobans defense must have been REALLY horrible seeing as ASVSM scored more on them than the Bulldogs?

As for T.C.C. - they scored 70 in their first round game, 56 on Lima Senior (another playoff team), 83 on Freemont Ross (another playoff team) ...

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

93Bulldog wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:
Raider6309 wrote: With those standards Wheelersburg has no defense or offense. Here is some reality since your stuck in 1989. You have to out score the other team. To beat St Ed, Colerain, Athens, LaSalle, TCC, or Cleveland Beannies you have to win in a shoot out. Those days of student body right and left are gone. Maybe D5-D7 but in the upper divisions you have to score

You obviously watched no games besides the championship. Athens held a high scoring Granville team to 14 pts in the post season. (11-0) Tri Valley scored just 20 in the regional semi's against Athens. Columbus St. Francis DeSales was also held to 20. Defending state champ, ASVSM, who scored 50 on Thurgood Marshal last year, 38 on Youngstown Ursulin and 33 on Archbishop Hoban - lost to Athens 34-31! So I guess Ursulin's, Thurgood's and Hobans defense must have been REALLY horrible seeing as ASVSM scored more on them than the Bulldogs?

As for T.C.C. - they scored 70 in their first round game, 56 on Lima Senior (another playoff team), 83 on Freemont Ross (another playoff team) ...
Dude Athens gave up ....
Logan 63
Z Ville 55 could've been 80
Wellston 42
What are you talking about good defense ?

Return to “Football”