WK1 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: WK1 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

Post by wobycat »

A few points

1. Burg was very safe in their play calling tonight. I thought the power game looked good for them.
2. This ironton team reminded me of the old ones. Physical with strong backs.
3. Both teams were sloppy on penalties
4. Irontons QB played very well

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burgs defense has that bend but don't break mentality. Ironton might of had more yardage but Burg's defense made the plays when they needed to.

Burg's offense is a little different from the last few years. Dash and slash has been replaced with pound and ground and I like it. QB has a nice arm so they will be able to keep teams from stacking the line. Howardvis a workhorse that can break one now and then. Burke is a nice player as well and had some nice catches on the opening TD drive.

Valley will not beat Burg by 14. Burg will beat Portsmouth just as bad. Just watch.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote:A few points

1. Burg was very safe in their play calling tonight. I thought the power game looked good for them.

Didn't understand the pass play called late in the 4th qtr when they needed to run the clock. It was only 2nd and 12 that turned into 3rd and 27.

Ironton should have had way more than 10 penalties. A couple of the Ironton backs were leaving early on every snap in the first half. It was called twice out of twelve times it happened.

Palladino is a stud but I think he wore down late in the game. There QB had a nice arm and no. 6 is a nice receiver.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

good game! cg I will be looking for you walking west down 52 to burg mdconalds to buy me that coffee! haha

scarlettandgreyhillboy
Freshman Team

Post by scarlettandgreyhillboy »

Fudd here Elmer Fudd. U's be thinking of irtoms of olds good backs
fiscal? wuss u thare even? them mity fightens tigers mites haves good baks in the futurs butt they shore werent at this gsmes.

nitether of these teams looks goods yets
Last edited by scarlettandgreyhillboy on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

BurgGrad_06 wrote:good game! cg I will be looking for you walking west down 52 to burg mdconalds to buy me that coffee! haha

hey u only won buy 1 score and I was right on low scoring , I don't recall what I said on me walking down 52 and handing u coffee I think I said blowout so therefore u get no coffee LOL

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

IBTT wrote:Tigers will have the subs in by the middle of the 3rd quarter. Ironton wins this year!! Great week of practice by a very good Ironton team. Prediction. Ironton 37 Burg 0. Tigers are due!! They will be pumped and ready for anything Burg throws at them this year. Tigers defense will get nasty!!
:122246

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

cg-ironton fan wrote:
BurgGrad_06 wrote:good game! cg I will be looking for you walking west down 52 to burg mdconalds to buy me that coffee! haha

hey u only won buy 1 score and I was right on low scoring , I don't recall what I said on me walking down 52 and handing u coffee I think I said blowout so therefore u get no coffee LOL
Last time I checked 8 points is 2 scores!

Burgball#1
Freshman Team

Post by Burgball#1 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
wobycat wrote:A few points

Didn't understand the pass play called late in the 4th qtr when they needed to run the clock. It was only 2nd and 12 that turned into 3rd and 27.

Ironton should have had way more than 10 penalties. A couple of the Ironton backs were leaving early on every snap in the first half. It was called twice out of twelve times it happened.

You are right they were moving early on almost every play!!! Nice job boys Go Burg ;-)

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

BurgGrad_06 wrote:
cg-ironton fan wrote:

Last time I checked 8 points is 2 scores!
Last Time I Checked.....
8 points is a TD and a 2pt. conversion.
Thats 1 score! Might wanna scratch this comment :lol: ;-)

Anonymous_Falcon_Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Anonymous_Falcon_Fan »

SOC!!!!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Congratulations to the Burg on the win.

I had a bunch of Valley players sitting in front of me on the home side, nice bunch of kids, very respectful.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Does anyone know why one of Irontons best Linemen (Chase Hankins) didn't dress for the game?

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

You could tell it was both teams first game with all the penalties and the undeveloped offenses.

A few points that I saw:

1. Ironton has very little depth. Nothing can be done about that. It takes time to build up the endurance to play both ways for an entire game and they got worn down towards the end of the game.
2. Unlike some of the Ironton fans I thought the T formation looked good and worked for the most part. Irontoncould use another formation so that the QB could throw some but don't be fooled by the yardage gained while Wheelersburg was in their prevent defense at the end of the game. The spread formation is not the answer. Maybe the I?
3. I liked Wheelersburg's use of the old USC 'Student Body Right', 'Student Body Left' sweep plays. I think Hartley uses that play ALOT and it had nice gains each time.
4. Ironton's backfield moves prior to the snap on nearly every play. That needs fixed. I understand the 'Do it because they won't call it most of the time' philosophy but it will be called at a crucial point in a game sometime.

I think both teams played hard and will have very good seasons.
Congrats Burg on the win.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

well I didn't get back home last night until 11:30, and me n mrs. bait had not eaten. so we was eating left over taco salad last night at midnight. ole bait had dreams he was being tortured, had one of those belches that burns the inside of your nostrils. and later on I started seein heffalumps and woozles. so I ain't doing that again.

very entertaining game. I too thought the ironton backs were leaving early. both teams have great size. both are very physical. dez young from ironton 32 is a manbeast. honestly as in years past here recently there was an obvious edge physicality wise and conditioning towards the burg side. which was never a trait of the tigers of old. but I didn't see that last night. both teams seemed to be about the same conditioning wise and strength wise. which I was very pleased to see.what I did see was burg has a very quick defense, and nearly impossible to hit the edges on. they were stringing it out great.

very pleased with ironton's physicality defensively. some arm tackles. but some brutal shots as well.i thought coverage wise ironton looked decent as well. it was a typical ironton/burg game. smashmouth and little passing. what I don't understand is we basically ran all night. and it was obvious we were commited to that. and our backfield is enourmous. why split palladino wide. and not have him in the t-formation.if you really are not attempting to throw. ironton's backs are huge. but they are juke stepping and not slamming into the gaps. honestly I think if the backs hit the holes harder, and the line sustains their blocks longer, ironton will be very hard to stop. and will slap wear people out. but you have to be able to hit the edges, and the burg is just too quick in that area. great lateral pursuit. they have a fine program.

overall I'm pretty pleased seeing an ironton team that was much more physical in week 1 than years past. but also I ain't into moral victories. I think we blew a game we could have won, shooting ourselves in the foot all night with senseless penalties and personal fouls. if you are not disciplined you won't beat teams like burg.only 1 way to correct that, run the dogturds out of em Monday. and go full tilt all week till they're dragging tails. and make it known in no uncertain terms, it will not be tolerated. for a team with I think 16 seniors. this is absolutely unacceptable.if you are committed to the t-formations of ole. then you have to have backs that smash at the holes, and lineman that will shove you back and stay with you. and honestly I think we have the team there that can do that. but it has to be burnt into them.

I'd say these two teams will likely meet again. if ironton corrects some things. I think they'll both have good seasons. burg has brought their program back to prominence. and ironton looks to be more physical and have the team to do it as well. I have no idea of ironton's depth yet. the missed PAT'S will flat kill ya. I hope that was just an instance where the ball was topped in a nervous extra point. ironton has to have that to be competitive. and you never, ever catch a line drive punt like that. especially by not catching with your hands and letting it get to your pads. the coaches should be screaming to get away. and if you don't field a punt get the sam hill away from the ball. as the ball is bouncing around on the ground and your back peddling 2 feet from the ball. you are just asking for a disaster. but that is coaching right there.

in summary. it was an entertaining game to watch. way too many penalties for both teams. borderlining on ridiculous. if ironton cleans up some things discipline ways. but now we been saying that for how many years now. I think we have the offensive personel to maul some people. and we have what appears to be a very solid , aggressive defense. but i'll say it till I'm blue in the face. you have to have an intermediate passing game. more crossing routes. and shorter routes. not the 35/40 yard passes on a regular basis. the shorter intermediate passing game will indeed set up the longer routes. but you have to be able to do both.but what a great game to start week 1. I just can't help thinking it was a game we could have Won. we shot ourselves in the foot all night.and again our clock management is poor. kudos to a fine burg team that is going to win a bunch of games. and congratulations. ironton cleans up some things they too will win a bunch of games. YTB

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

Great win by the Pirates. It will be very interesting to see how both these teams progress throughout the season.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Valenth wrote:Great win by the Pirates. It will be very interesting to see how both these teams progress throughout the season.
I agree, I believe Irontons going to have to beat some very good KY Teams if we are going to make the Playoffs though. The next three games against Russell, Ashland and Beechwood are going to be crucial for the Tigers points wise.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

indeed. what are the records of these 3, anybody know.

whitwell
Waterboy

Post by whitwell »

You hain't right hoss, asking about records already. It was week 1 or week 2 of Kentucky team's season, depending on their schedule. Figure it out.
It's too early to matter.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Neither team really impressed, again probably just the first game. Ironton better fix some things otherwise, they won't reach the playoffs. I've never heard such hype about a team in the offseason only to go watch and be highly let down. Burg isn't nearly as good as years past and Ironton hasn't been the same since Lutz. The kids aren't fully invested in run run run. I just hope both teams improve over the year because they need it bad.

Return to “Football”