wheelersburg 2008

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

mrs gunpowder pete. I pray that you did not graduate from wheelersburg h.s. because your math sucks. 90% cracks me up. All of your posts on every topic are negative with the exception of one after the Waverly game. Do me a favor and pick another team to support. My guess is that your son didnt get treated like a superstar and you continue to attack the coaching staff because of that.

You are right. You are entitled to your opinion even though you are clueless. Were you told as a child that you were the greatest at everything, but no one else could see it? ahhhhhhh

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

One more thing.... Mrs GunpowderPete ,who do you think should be coaching the pirates?
What direction should they be headed in?
Maybe you should get the 90% of those who do not like coach Lewis and go to the school board and ask for him to be fired. Then you could take over and win the 2nd state title wburg has had in the 77 years of it's football existance!!
Hence the statement you are an idiot.

Sounds like 90% of the people on here agree with my statement about you.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

the burg has a vey good coaching staff and the burg is lucky to have lewis. The burg will not see many 10-0 seasons with the schedule they play now. stclvll and jc were just better than the burg and turnovers had more to do with the phs and playoff loss than coaching did. You want 10-0 seasons again than drop the irontons, portsmouths, stcl, jc, gallia's, cms, and pick up the greenups, CG's, adena's, PV's, fairlands, BC's............

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

fbnut wrote:the burg has a vey good coaching staff and the burg is lucky to have lewis. The burg will not see many 10-0 seasons with the schedule they play now. stclvll and jc were just better than the burg and turnovers had more to do with the phs and playoff loss than coaching did. You want 10-0 seasons again than drop the irontons, portsmouths, stcl, jc, gallia's, cms, and pick up the greenups, CG's, adena's, PV's, fairlands, BC's............

record wise yes johnson central may have been better but i believe the pirates held a team scorin 40+ points a game to just 14. yes the turnovers hurt the pirates but without them i'd say the pirates would have won. BTW who is cms?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Where's Coal Grove dogg?

You kept saying all along that they were playing the Grove and we tried to tell you that as long as Dave Lucas is at CG, they won't be playing the Burg. He got tired of losing to them in the regular season and it knocking them out of the playoffs.

so how many times since the early 90's when coal grove quit playin the burg have they made the playoffs

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Not my excuse, dogg. That is all Lucas from Coal Grove.

Everyone knows the real reason behind him not playig the Burg. It's because he got tired of losing to them year in and year out.

In reality I'm not to overly concerned with how many times Coal Grove has made the playoffs. Maybe if they would step up and play the caliber of teams that Burg plays and if they can win them, they just might have made the playoffs more.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

one criticism I have heard is that they do not hit the weights the way they should. That comes from someone close enough to the program that they should know. It doesn't seem to show on D as much but I think you can see it on offense. The line does not drive people off the ball and the backs do not run through tackles. with the exception of the 05 team this has pretty much been the norm since lewis took over. All finess and trickery on offense.

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

To what are you or your source comparing the weight lifting program of lewis....too? I recall the very first thing that he did when he got here was organize a fund raiser that placed an up to date weight room together for all student athletes at wburg. Prior to that wburg was lifting with equipment from the early 80's. The only down side is that he does not have control of what goes on during the school day because he is not the weight lifting teacher.

Other than that I know that the baseball team (a lot of which play football) are lifting now. The football team starts off season lifting after X-mas. They continue to lift and run during the summer. That includes the Jr. High players that get a chance to be introduced to the techniques they will have to do when they are in high school. No coach at WHS took time to teach the Jr high players how to lift before they attended the high school other than Lewis.

The only problem is that he does not have control of lifting during school.

As far as the players not being strong as previous years. How do you compare? I am not sure. Most of the players play every sport and it is tough to get stronger when all you do is jump from sport to sport. In 2005 most of those stronger players only played football. I think that Lewis needs to figure out how to control the genetics of wburg and then in 15 years we could have big, fast, strong lineman and strong, fast backs! HGH might be an idea....... it worked for baseball!

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Post by hilltopkid »

A friedn and I were talking the other day about good small school programs around Ohio. He is from the Pickerington area and really doesn't know much about Wheelersburg. As we were talking, the Burg came up. He asked me how a small school in a small town can be good every year. Then he asked about the coach. I know Tony and think he does the best he knows how, which is all that any coach can do. My friend wanted to know if it was all pretty much good coaching getting the best out of mediocre kids. I said , with no disrespect intended that I personally thought any coach(worth a hoot) could go to Wheelersburg right now and win.I also said that Lewis was a very lucky man to have been picked to coach the Pirates, especially being from out of state. With the tradition and mind set that the kids in WHeelersburg have, from an early age, mind you, they have what every small school team strives for. Ever since the Miller days, through the Hall days and up until now, the kids a)Know how to win, b)expect to win c)do what it takes to win d) just happen to have some pretty good athletes in every class.
Kudos to Wheelersburg for being one of those very few small school programs who have accomplished what every small(and large) school fight for every year---A WINNING PROGRAM. For whatever reasons, the Wheelersburg HS football program has what it takes and they get it done year in and year out. It's not the water, it's not the local air quality(trust me), and it's not the breeding.It's tradition, mindset, the resolve and the willingness to sacrifice for your team. In my mind, they rank right up there with Amanda Clearcreek, Ironton, Mogadore, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, Marion Local, Newark Catholic etc... as one of toughest small school programs(D 4-6) year in and year out. People throughout the state have heard about Wheelersburg football and it ain't because they suck.

burgtown
Waterboy

hilltopkid

Post by burgtown »

I would have to agree with the kid, I have been in different parts of the state and have had people from other parts say '" Wheelersburg seems to be a state division contender year in and year out in most sports. Not many schools can say this from our area.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I dont have a Pirate in the debate but I do have an opinion. In the SOC, I see the league coming down to Burg and Minford.

On offense, the Pirates need to get an offense and stick with it whether we run option, power I, fullhouse, pro, spread, etc... Stop changing in midstream. On defense, the Burg has played the 5-2 for years. We need 11 guys on the field that will stick you and not arm tackle.

For the past 2-3 years, I have heard players on the team say how glad they are the season is over or they wish the season were over. When kids are not wanting to play something is wrong somewhere. This past year, Burg had its smallest team in numbers and size since I moved here in 1990. Why? IMO, the numbers go down a few every year. Why? Right now, more kids are involved with basketball and baseball than football. Why?

The Burg has a long, proud tradition. Kids should be able to participate in 2-3 sports and not have to worry about attending a weight session, camp, open gym, open field, etc... if they are involved in another sport.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

alabama mike wrote:For the past 2-3 years, I have heard players on the team say how glad they are the season is over or they wish the season were over. When kids are not wanting to play something is wrong somewhere. This past year, Burg had its smallest team in numbers and size since I moved here in 1990. Why? IMO, the numbers go down a few every year. Why? Right now, more kids are involved with basketball and baseball than football. Why?

I too have heard the same from past pirate players. I believe Coach Lewis and staff need to evaluate why this occurring. Maybe it is just a sign of the times or maybe they are just not enjoying playing the game anymore.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

If you go back and count the burgs roster has fluctuated for the past 30 yrs from 35-45 players. An avg roster has had around 42. The burg roster is usually pretty comparable with their opponents, which isn't to bad considering most of their opponents dress their freshman. The #'s this past year were down because of an unusually low turnout from the junior class. Football is a tough sport that is not always fun. It comsumes a lot of time. I seriously dought it was considerably more enjoyable playing for coach Miller than it is playing for the current staff. I don't think you lower what is you expect out of your players in order to get more kids out. I think your program will suffer if you go that route.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

fbnut wrote:the burg has a vey good coaching staff and the burg is lucky to have lewis. The burg will not see many 10-0 seasons with the schedule they play now. stclvll and jc were just better than the burg and turnovers had more to do with the phs and playoff loss than coaching did. You want 10-0 seasons again than drop the irontons, portsmouths, stcl, jc, gallia's, cms, and pick up the greenups, CG's, adena's, PV's, fairlands, BC's............

i can remember in the mid to late 90's when valley was goin 10-0 and then goin out in the first round. i would rather lose 2 games and get a high ranking or goin 10-0 and possibly not makin the playoffs

i also remember the 93 season i believe but i could be wrong though but they only took 4 teams from each region. they has i believe columbus academy, greenup co, coal grove, dayton jefferson, and huntington east as there non conference games. i know they played them in 92 because it was my brothers senior yr. but they went into the portsmouth game 9-0 i believe ranked like number one or twon in D4 lost and failed to make the playoffs.

so like i said i would rather have a tough non conference schedule to prepare them for conference and the playoffs and lose a couple games rather than a weaker schedule 10-0 and chance not makin the playoffs. i have seen several 9-1 and 10-0 teams not make the playoffs

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

According to a flyer that the football players recieved @ Minford, We play Wheelersburg Week 7.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

alabama mike wrote: We need 11 guys on the field that will stick you and not arm tackle.

I agree but at least they are out there and not playing soccer with the girls. :( :(

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Gunpowder Pete wrote: I have an opinion and I'm an idiot,

Well, you're right on two for two so far... wanna go for three?? :lol:

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
outofbounds
Waterboy

Post by outofbounds »

I'm not so sure that the basketball numbers are up, but the baseball numbers probably are since they started fielding a JV team. I think a lot of the problem with football numbers are probably related to the coaching staff. Don't get me wrong here, I think they did a wonderful job this past year with how they finished the season, but what i have heard from more than one kid is that once the depth chart is set, it is virtually impossible to get moved up or down for that matter on the chart, no matter how hard you try. I understand with Wheelersburg being a small school and all that there is a limited number of "good" atheletes to choose from, but the kids that are on the fringe need some sort of encouragement. Whether or not it is playing special teams, or getting in the game for a play or two, or just getting encouraged to work harder. I think if the kids get the feeling they have a shot they will respond and I even think more would come out for the team. Of course, winning always helps too and maybe after this season you will see more kids coming out.

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

hilltop i wonder the schools u stated, amanda c c magadora,marionlocal, all have adopted the pre 1 st and pre 7th and 8th or if u want to hold back a starting line up u can system? :?:

Return to “Football”