Re: Marietta early leader in All-Sports Trophy race

Post by noreply66 »

2nd that WHAT

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

OK! I will spell it out!

Points for the AST (All Sports Trophy) are awarded based on final placing in the league. Take softball for example: Warren, Logan, and Marietta all finished tied for 1st in the North. Yet, due to the pill drawing - Warren finishes 5th overall, Marietta 3rd, and Logan 1st. Logan gets 10 points, Marietta - 8 points, and Warren 6 points.

Is it fair to count these points toward the AST based on random drawings? My opinion is No, and that would be my opinion even if the school I was rooting for gained an avantage due to the drawing. Those three schools all finished 1st on the diamond in their division and they should be awarded like points toward the AST based on their accomplishments on the field - not some lottery!

chiefswrestler09
Riding the Bench

Post by chiefswrestler09 »

looks like logan is in the lead but they need the track and field teams to pull through for them i believe they will lets go chiefs bring this one home baby!!!!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

What about Tennis?

It needs to be added in as well.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The only tennis that has been played is the Athens/Chillicothe game. I think the weather called the others that day and they haven't been made up yet that I now of.

For now you can add nine to Athens and eight to Chillicothe.
Warren does not play tennis.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Anyone know if there has been anymore tennis finals :?:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Has Logan won it?

After boys and girls track

Logan----------85----89/90 after tennis
Marietta-------84----86/87 """""""""
Chillicothe-----85.5--this is after finishig 2nd in tennis-they are finished
Warren---------84.5--they are finished--no tennis
Zanesville------65---71/72 after tennis
Athens----------69---this is after getting 1st place in tennis-they are finished
Gallipolis-------61---67/68 after tennis
Jackson---------67---they are finished-no team to play in tennis
Portsmouth-----40---44/45 after tennis
Ironton----------40---42/43 after tennis

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

That girl's softball thing made a huge difference in the final point totals - and it should not have.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Got to go with runhallerun here. This trophy is a joke because it is set up to reward the bigger schools. And there has to be a better system for ties. 3 teams with identical league records and one gets a whole lot more points than the others? That bucket holds no water with me.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Some of the inferior schools whining ?? Note the dominance of overall sports by the North division. Recall the rhetoric of the "tough" South division "fans"?? Over the years, its been laughable.

So, who won it and final points totals ??

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Paladin wrote:Some of the inferior schools whining ?? Note the dominance of overall sports by the North division. Recall the rhetoric of the "tough" South division "fans"?? Over the years, its been laughable.

So, who won it and final points totals ??

The posts from the two previous were from Warren fans. I do not think you can call Warren inferior in athletics as they have finished top two or three for years in this stupid thing and actually winning it a few years ago. It is a fact that the coin flip things is not fair, the fact that Warren does not have all the sports is another issue but not one of a level playing field. Warren has the option of having tennis (no facility) and chooses not to have it so the must live with getting 0 pts in that one.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Winner will not be known until all tennis matches are finish.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

runhallerun wrote:That girl's softball thing made a huge difference in the final point totals - and it should not have.

If you:

a) add two points to Marietta, sharing the SEOAL title with Logan

and...

b) add 4 points to Warren, sharing the SEOAL title with Logan

Logan would still be assured of at least sharing the SEOAL All-Sports Trophy according to these numbers.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Yessssss. Tennis will decide it!!

Warren doesn't have tennis by "choice???" The nearest courts in are in Belpre or Marietta. Barlow doesn't have a park, it has a fairgrounds. The district can't afford to fire-up a bus everyday and take the kids into the city and back. The school district is currently in such a financial crunch that two of the elementary schools are being shut down. So I really don't think choice has as much to do with it as you might think. Warren doesn't really have a choice in the matter when it comes to fielding a tennis team.

Considering all the schools ahead of Warren have a Tennis team, that certainly has an impact. The coin-flips had an impact too, and can be handled better. The bottom line is Warren athletes performed well enough in competition to at least share the trophy, but factors outside the field of competition prevent it.

I guess "Pound-for-pound" Warren had the best year in actual competition. All three schools ahead of Warren are bigger.

I'll also acknowledge that it is even more difficult for the teams that support fewer teams than Warren. I'm assuming that schools in that situation don't even pay attention to the all sports trophy. Wouldn't it be better if every school had a legitimate shot at winning the trophy based on their performance? This has probably been mentioned, but you could just take the total points earned in all of the sports that a school participates in then divide by the number of sports. The winner would be the school with the highest average finish in the sports they were in. What's wrong with that?

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Yes I am a Warren fan. Warren competes very well in most sports. I really don't care who wins this trophy but if they are going to have it make it fair for all involved. Why would Portsmouth or Ironton care about it?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If the award has been determind this way in the league from the start--why change it?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Funny.............. you know the sports that the league competes in when you come into the league. You field teams or you don't. The democratic proceedures govern the league. The trophy is there annually for those who win it. Maybe if your other sports did better, you would have this trophy too. But you didn't do better, you knew the proceedures BEFORE the school year began and with no points determined in the begining and at the end, now the whining starts.

I gotta tell you , when I played in the league or when I coached in it, you would have been laughed out of the league with that crap. Bush league !!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Noreply: In my opinion it should be changed for two reasons: 1.) So that every school in the league has an opportunity to win, and 2.) the trophy is awarded based on "on field" performance rather than how many teams your school can field logistically. Does a school like Ironton have any chance of winning this thing?

Paladin: You've accidently stumbled into a grown-up conversation. I won't confuse you by debating concepts that you don't understand (concepts like fairness, participation, addition, subtraction, etc.). You go back to your Jr. High buddies and tell them how great it is that Logan has a chance of winning an "all-league" sports award that only half the league has a legitimate shot of winning year after year (yes, Warren is one of them).

BTW, this is the same debate that they have every year at the SEOAL meeting. This is just more fun.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Paladin
How long has it been since Logan actually won the award with all those sports and being the biggest school? I know Marietta has been very successful the last few years maybe 10 I'm not sure.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

warrnwarriorfan wrote:Yessssss. Tennis will decide it!!

Warren doesn't have tennis by "choice???" The nearest courts in are in Belpre or Marietta. Barlow doesn't have a park, it has a fairgrounds. The district can't afford to fire-up a bus everyday and take the kids into the city and back. The school district is currently in such a financial crunch that two of the elementary schools are being shut down. So I really don't think choice has as much to do with it as you might think. Warren doesn't really have a choice in the matter when it comes to fielding a tennis team.

Considering all the schools ahead of Warren have a Tennis team, that certainly has an impact. The coin-flips had an impact too, and can be handled better. The bottom line is Warren athletes performed well enough in competition to at least share the trophy, but factors outside the field of competition prevent it.

I guess "Pound-for-pound" Warren had the best year in actual competition. All three schools ahead of Warren are bigger.

Warren can "bus" (LOL) their golf team to Oxbow in the fall. (I'm sure they provide their own transportation.)

Look, when I was in high school the tennis team practiced and played at the middle school. We didn't bus to the courts, we provided our own transportation.

The soccer team practiced/played at the city park. They didn't bus there. They provided their own transportation.

The golf team practiced/played at the county country club. They didn't bus there. They provided their own transportation.

If the Warren golf team can practice/play in Belpre, I don't see how Tennis would be a whole lot different.

Return to “Football”