Ironton leaving the SEOAL

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Ironton leaving the SEOAL

Post by ironman02 »

Are you talking to yourself again, Army?

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

drrabbit wrote:And remember that Ironton and Portsmouth would be 'encouraged' to start/restart soccer. Not that I mind that!

I don't see that happening anytime soon, even if the SOC scenario played out.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Neither do I.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

kantuckyII wrote:
fighting_falcon wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:People can say what they want but the truth of the matter is, the SEOAL travels terrible! Very few schools bring anyone to Ironton..even teams that are doing well (Chillicothe for instance this year) have many empty seats at their own stadiums on Friday night!..

The SEOAL travels terrible and Ironton is at the top of that list. Heck last year Warren had more fans at the Ironton/Warren basketball game and it was at Ironton. My bad, Ironton only has one sport and I didn't see big following with their road games.

Either way...football STILL pays the bills for almost every other sport. Ironton has enjoyed some nice revenue from the basketball program for the last 7 or so years as well though and I expect that to prove even more so as prospects are very good for Ironton's bb team this year.

I guess if you don't support the other sports football has to support them. I had a long time ad who was very well respected tell our Athetic Boosters that Football pays for Football and Basketball covered the rest. I guess it all depends on what your community supports.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

OSU 77 wrote:I guess this is no surprise to anyone in Ironton.

Then you need ask the question what is the plan moving forward? At the next Board meeting there should be a plan made public to the voters in Ironton on how this will be accomplished. Over the year’s decision about the school etc are made without any plans. I feel before the Board voted to get out of the league there should have been a plan made public to the voters.

I would say the plan is, let the AD make a schedule for after the final year of the SEOAL. Nuff said.
Last edited by Frank Reagan on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

kantuckyII wrote:and once the new president is sworn in..and all those promises are tossed back out the door..gas prices are going to start climbing back up there again.

Not here, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

you can always go to JJ Huddle :lol:

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

kantuckyII wrote:you can always go to JJ Huddle :lol:

Why? It's much more fun here. :122245

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I was told by someone at Ironton that this was coming. The athletic dept was losing money since joining the league and it had to stop. By waiting this long, there is no penalty for withdrawal.

I also talked to someone at Portsmouth who said what some Portsmouth posters had said. PHS is happy in the league and would stay regardless of what Ironton does.

I agree that an expanded SOC would 3 divisions would be a great idea but I'd be surprised if that happened. I agree with most others saying that Ironton will likely remain independent and do the best to fill schedules in all sports.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I still believe that Logan will be pressured to look north in some fashion within the next decade regardless of the shifting of the sands in the SEOAL. It has to.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Its going to be nice when that happens.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

kantuckyII wrote:
fighting_falcon wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:People can say what they want but the truth of the matter is, the SEOAL travels terrible! Very few schools bring anyone to Ironton..even teams that are doing well (Chillicothe for instance this year) have many empty seats at their own stadiums on Friday night!..

The SEOAL travels terrible and Ironton is at the top of that list. Heck last year Warren had more fans at the Ironton/Warren basketball game and it was at Ironton. My bad, Ironton only has one sport and I didn't see big following with their road games.

Either way...football STILL pays the bills for almost every other sport. Ironton has enjoyed some nice revenue from the basketball program for the last 7 or so years as well though and I expect that to prove even more so as prospects are very good for Ironton's bb team this year.

In BB it really makes no sense to me to be in this league. You can get a lot larger crowds with local games and once the new president is sworn in..and all those promises are tossed back out the door..gas prices are going to start climbing back up there again. Many familes just can't afford to drive that far to see a game. Ironton has tons of money in their coffers in the past..they are starting to dwindle from what I understand

[color=#FF0000]Kantucky 2 Aparently you have not been to very many away games. I have been to almost every baketball game for the past 7 years and the crowds have been great at away games.

Basket ball is becoming huge at Ironton.

As far as being independent. The kids have no chance to win league titles,or have individual honors. Which is so sad.

If you want to pack the Tank, play a couple saturday games.They will come!!!!!!!!!!![/
[/color]

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

grizzlynatural wrote:Its going to be nice when that happens.

I agree...I think Logan is ready for the spotlight and the OCC or something in that arena. I believe they could go a long way in that Conference.

As for the SEOAL....if something like Logan leaving to, would take place in the near future, I think

Chillicothe
Jackson
Portsmouth
Gallipolis
Warren
Marietta

Just might be enough to keep the league together. Even with the drive to Warren and Marietta. We'll have to wait and see. There would be more opportunties for all teams to win a title that's for sure. The only difficult part would be trying to get 5 non-league games year in and year out. But I know it could be done.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I do not believe a "local league" will invite ironton to join, until the coffers dry up at these schools. Until schools start losing money and really need bigger crowds, i dont think you will see Ironton pop up on very many schedules.
I believe soccer could be a viable sport in ironton, but dont look for that for a few more years. Never really understood the no soccer thing. Do soccer players and football players clash? I wouldnt think too many avid soccer players would participate in football. With the very small numbers of kids that play extra curricular sports at ironton, I would think soccer could draw a few more kids out on the field.

blaze275
Freshman Team

Post by blaze275 »

What happened to free speech. That is one of our rights.And no one can take that from us.

TARTAN/TITAN
Freshman Team

Post by TARTAN/TITAN »

Ironton basketball fans travel well??

yeah right, I was at [color=#008000]

both sides was like a ghost town, but you could have car pooled in a volkswagon from Ironton with that crowd.[/color]the portsmouth game last year because we was not playing,and got there esrly so I could get a good seat.

on the bright side, if Ironton leaves the SEOL, they can sign, Green Up County, Ashland,Russel is already back on the schedule, Canada , that lady team they played this year ,,,and that should fill the league games you will not have, leaving Portsmouth,Burg and the other teams you already play.

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

85inside wrote:I do not believe a "local league" will invite ironton to join, until the coffers dry up at these schools. Until schools start losing money and really need bigger crowds, i dont think you will see Ironton pop up on very many schedules.
I believe soccer could be a viable sport in ironton, but dont look for that for a few more years. Never really understood the no soccer thing. Do soccer players and football players clash? I wouldnt think too many avid soccer players would participate in football. With the very small numbers of kids that play extra curricular sports at ironton, I would think soccer could draw a few more kids out on the field.

are you from ST JOE!!!!!!!! cause ironton will never have a soccer team
:lol: :lol: :lol: not in this life time anyways!!!! :roll: :roll:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

So it wasnt in the Tribune today and I didnt see it in the Herald Dispatch either. I know the Tribune isnt big on printing news, but it does a great job covering Ironton football so something this big would be front page news. So where is the proof we are gone?

As for a soccer team. Really that wouldnt be a bad idea. Then we could get an actual kicker.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

I for one am not mad Ironton is leaving the league and I wish them well and still hope they [play Gallipolis. I still beleive that over the next few years that the SEOAL will either look much different or become much smaller. I still have no idea why it angers some on here to talk about the SEOAL changing. Change is a good thing, I am sure the league will still exist but if it doesnt than who cares all teams will play elsewhere. Schools have to do what is best for them money wise as well as competition wise. Good luck to all who leave and all to stay.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

pmow3 wrote:I quit posting on here last year, but I just can't resist this one. Here is my ultimate reallignment. I have wished for many years the SOC would "wake up" and do this. Ironton and Portsmouth have needed a closer conference forever. So here is what I wish they would do:
SOC 1 would have Ironton, Burg, Waverly, West, and Portsmouth
SOC 2 would have Valley, Minford, Northwest, Oak Hill, and Piketon
SOC 3 would be Notre Dame, Green, East, S. Gallia, and Symmes Valley

This would give all the teams the flexability to play whoever they wanted out of conference and still be able to compete in conference. You can still have Minford play the teams they want in Div. 1 and Valley as well. Northwest can "Schedule down" and play the lower division if they like. Some of the better teams in D.3 could schedule up and play teams in D.2. Plus it would still give Ironton Portsmouth and all the teams an oppurtunity to go out of conference and keep the traditional rivalries that they have now (such as Gallia or Ashland or even Chili and Logan). All you need is a Piketon or (somebody like that) to jump. It would be awesome. Every year would be so competitive. Any team could win those conference championships year in and year out. I couldn't resist coming out for that topic. It makes me mad that some can't think outside the box on this one. It would also make basketball and all the other sports better. Less travel across the board.

You know what makes me mad? As Blind White Hat said earlier (by the way a man I respect alot), he liked this idea but believed it could or would not ever happen. I can't believe this is even a problem. We are talking about adding 1 or 2 games to a schedule for each of these teams. MOST of these teams play each other already. This is stupid not to consider. Some people changed a few things around to create 2 div. and such, but the reason I don't like that is: 3 Divisions with 5 or 6 teams in each gives those schools "FLEXIBILITY" to schedule rivals or "appropriate" games for their team. Every athletic director should jump at this chance. If you are Northwest and you know you have problems with these big schools, because you are in the middle div., you simply schedule down until you see some light at the end of a tunnel. If you are a Valley or Minford, and you see good classes coming through, schedule up and take on a Ptown or Ironton. With only 4 or 5 conference games, you have multiple options of teams (close to home), of which to choose. This tears me up that we can't use "practical common sense" and come up with answers. Maybe that's why I voted like I did. Quit living in the past people! Give change a chance! :lol:

Return to “Football”