Will the SEOAL survive other league expansion?

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Re: Will the SEOAL survive other league expansion?

Post by Crazy Legs »

It will survive but there might only be 4 or 5 teams left to see it. I think Portsmouth is next to leave, for the SOC or Independent. It makes to much sense for them not to play wheelersburg,west,waverly and ironton at least twice a year in basketball and other sports, let alone at least once in football. Allot of money to be made with schools being that close to each other.

We shall see :122248 :122248

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

With Ironton gone, I could see Athens coming back after dominating in the TVC.

This will open up the chances for improving the non-league schedules and racking up computer points. Not that bad a deal.

BTW, Ironton should never be admitted to the league again.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't see Athens leaving the TVC. For the first time in over a generation, Athens is excited about sports again and their are many fans in attendance now. When it comes down to it, it's all about revenue. Similarly, I don't see teams like Wellston or Vinton County thumbing their noses at the gates they have taken in when Athens comes to town to play football or basketball games.

Athens has five non-league games to play larger schools, which is plenty to qualify for the playoffs if they have a good season. Athens will drop down to D III again after the next census anyways, so it will be even less critical to play larger (D II) schools at that time. Everyone I have talked to from Athens loves being in the TVC. The TVC is compact geographically, as are most leagues, and it works.

The only thing that kept Athens out of the playoffs this season was a weak non-league schedule. But Athens needed that weak schedule to help turn the program around. Athens played the exact same schedule in 2008 and did not dominate then. Likewise, Athens is graduating A LOT of the talent from the 2009 team. I do not see Athens walking over the TVC Ohio in 2010 by any means. Athens has already improved upon it's non-league schedule next season, with the additions of Parkersburg South, Warren, and Chillicothe, in addition to keeping the Gallia Academy game. They still have one open game to schedule for the fifth and final non-league game at this time.

As for the non-revenue sports, I see one of two things happening............either the rest of the TVC Ohio will be forced to play up to higher standards to compete with Athens -OR- Athens will eventually fall to the level of the competition they are playing and things will even out over time.

IF Athens ever wanted to play a Logan or a Jackson in the future, they have five non-league games to make it happen.

In the mean time, Athens will continue to experience packed stadiums and gymnasiums. Even volleyball games have a full house when Athens plays NY and Alexander. How many volleyball games had a packed house for Athens in the SEOAL?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Crazy Legs wrote:It will survive but there might only be 4 or 5 teams left to see it. I think Portsmouth is next to leave, for the SOC or Independent. It makes to much sense for them not to play wheelersburg,west,waverly and ironton at least twice a year in basketball and other sports, let alone at least once in football. Allot of money to be made with schools being that close to each other.

We shall see :122248 :122248

Portsmouth will NEVER get into the SOC,and will NOT go Independent.

they are in the SEOAL, for a very long time "IMO".

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I have to agree with Biggdowgg, I don't see the Trojans leaving the SEOAL unless they get an invite to another league. Since I can't see the SOC ever letting PHS in I would say they are in the SEOAL, unless the OAKC were to reform, which is also very unlikely.

I personaly like seeing some of the schools drop out. I would have like to have kept Ironton, but they wanted out.

I do wonder how Logan feels about the departure, of D2 Zanesville, D2 Athens, and now D2 Marrietta. This leaves the Cheiftanis in a league with only one other D2 school in Warren, 3 D3 schools in Gallia, Chilli, and Jackson, and one D4 in Portsmouth. That averages Logan's league schedule out to D3, but Gallia has resently been D4 so it could be less.

I wonder if the continued departure of the other large schools from the SEOAL has them consdering looking around, or if maybe they are happy with the departure, because it gives them a chance to add some better schools to thier non league schedule. No offence to Athens, or Marrietta but neither one provided the Cheiftians much of a test or many playoff points in recent years.

If the Chieftains and Warren were to leave (which they have been rumored to have a TVC interest) I think the remaining 4 SEOAL South teams could still have a strong league, if they were able to attract another school. I would even try Ironton again in this setup if they would consider it. If not I think it may be hard to find another team to join. If this becomes the case the 4 teams may look to join another league as a package deal. Example the SOC, and have it split into 3 divisions.
SOC 3
Portsmouth D4
Gallia D3
Jackson D3
Chillicothe D3
Waverly D3
Portsmouth West D4

SOC 2
Burg D5
Minford D5
Valley D5
Northwest D4
Oak Hill D5

SOC 1
Notre Dame D6
East D6
Green D6
Symmes Valley D6
Invite Manchester for at least football D6

Hope the SEOAL doesn't come to this but it could be a possibility. Personally I can't see how the SOC could turn this down if it happened.
Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoChiefs
Varsity

Post by GoChiefs »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:I do wonder how Logan feals about the departure, of D2 Zanesville, D2 Athens, and now D2 Marrietta. This leaves the Cheiftanis in a league with only one other D2 school in Warren, 3 D3 schools in Gallia, Chilli, and Jackson, and one D4 in Portsmouth. That averages Logan's league schedule out to D3, but Gallia has resently been D4 so it could be less.

I wonder if the continued departure of the other large schools from the SEOAL has them consdering looking around, or if maybe they are happy with the departure, because it gives them a chance to add some better schools to thier non league schedule. No offence to Athens, or Marrietta but neither one provided the Cheiftians much of a test or many playoff points in recent years.

IMO..Logan doesn't have any other options except for the SEOAL unless they wanted to go independent. And I frankly don't see that one happening. With Marietta leaving..that gives them a chance to beef up their schedule with someone more competitive. So I think in football at least..the Chieftains don't mind the change.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I see Logan trying to keep ZHS & Marietta on the schedule and vice versa as D-II competition,good crowds & reasonable drives. Even Athens may be back on the schedule in the near future.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Paladin ... We remain on the Logan schedule for 2010 (Week 7 or 8; I can't recall for sure), and I know we'd like to continue that. It's developed into a good rivalry over the past couple of decades, with only a couple of interruptions due to readjustments needed to accommodate existing contracts. I'm not sure how it will play out once we are fully integrated into the ECOL schedule (certainly, further expansion will also play a part in that), but I know we would like to keep playing. Both schools have outstanding facilities, the trip isn't too bad in either direction, and a "tradition" has emerged.

gochiefs ... Going to look for another, stronger program is easier said than done, but that's what Logan will NEED to do if the SEOAL remains intact. They will need to be sure there are computer points to be had. The problem for you guys may become what it currently is for us ... go 9-1 and pray your opponents do well enough to squeeze you in. We had no idea that most of our opponents in '09 who usually have solid seasons would go into the tank (you listening, Chillicothe? Wheeling Park? Beaver Local?). To be honest, it's a crapshoot then.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is in the SEOAL for the long run.......we have been rejected by the SOC at least 4 times, so there's absolutely no reason to believe that PHS will ever be admitted to that league.......with Zanesville and Marietta departing, even some Portsmouth fans who didn't like the excessive travel have to admit that the SEOAL now is much more highway friendly. And we had a good gate with the Jackson game this year, and Warren brought a nice crowd too........I have seen Portsmouth games vs. Minford, West, South Point, or Chesapeake in which there weren't that many people there.......so playing locally doesn't guarantee a fat wallet at the end of the night.

And as Paladin said, and I agree, that with Marietta's departure, it gives SEOAL teams the opportunity to beef up their non-conference schedule.......Portsmouth could certainly benefit by it considering that Chillicothe and Marietta only won 1 game this past season while Gallia Academy won only 2......and as a result we were a 7-3 football team without a playoff berth........PHS is replacing South Point (which won only 1 game) with Wilmington to open the 2010 season.......the Hurricanes are a big upgrade in the NC schedule but at the same time could be a boon in computer points.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

A league Of Gallia, Jackson, Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Ironton would be good economics.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

And not much competition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

85inside wrote:A league Of Gallia, Jackson, Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Ironton would be good economics.

Not alot of competion for Ironton year in and year out!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Has Ironton ever really had a whole lot competition year in and year out? Once or twice a decade Portsmouth can play with them, Burg always seems to play them well and Ashland has had thier number a couple of times. add Logan lately and thats about it,

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Let's Go PSU: Portsmouth can play with Ironton once or twice a decade? Just in this decade alone, the Trojans have 5 victories over the Fighting Tigers........

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

gahs4ever wrote:Since the last few posts were wishful thinking or speculation, I too speculate how SEOAL members would feel about making a commitment to a school (Ironton) who has left the SEOAL three times already. Dont get me wrong. Im glad we are keeping Ironton on our schedule across the board and always look forward to playing their teams. I'm just not excited about a commitment with them again in terms of a league, and that is a real shame because if Ironton had stuck around, perhaps Marietta leaving would have been more condusive to them staying.

I-Town has left 3 times. Thats enough!!!!!!! Never ever should they be voted back-in. EVER!!!!!!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

True Dave if you consider the 2 playoff wins, but over all the Trojans are 3-7 in regular season matchups, Once twice and ok Ill say three wins a decade

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

Tobias wrote:
trojandave wrote:Let's Go PSU: Portsmouth can play with Ironton once or twice a decade? Just in this decade alone, the Trojans have 5 victories over the Fighting Tigers........

http://www.irontonfootball.com/history2 ... Portsmouth

When you break it down by decade, Portsmouth won 6 of the first 7 (tie in the 40's)...Ironton has won the most recent 4...

Portsmouth's record vs. Ironton by decade:

2000's: 5-7 (2 playoff games)
1990's: 3-8 (2 regular season games in 1997)
1980's: 1-9
1970's: 2-7-1
1960's: 6-3 (no game in 1964)
1950's: 5-4 (no game in 1954)
1940's: 4-4-2
1930's: 7-3
1920's: 6-2-2
1910's: 7-5-2
1900's: 8-1-1

If these figures are correct, Portsmouth leads 54-53-8. If a person wanted to refer to the past, that would make PHS the top dog in this series.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Contary to popular, but wrong belief, Warren didn't dominate TVC when they were in it, football or other sports. They shared the 1975 football title with Alexander and Nelsonville and won 1 outright title in 1985. This is exactly 1 more title then they have in the SEOAL.

I do feel that it they were to comeback to the TVC, they would do well. Especially in the girls sports more than the boys.

Schools have to do what is best for their student/athletes, both on the field and in the classroom. Economics plays a HUGE part of any high sports program.

What I think should be considered is that the SEOAL and the TVC combine into a new SEOAL. This would consist of 21 teams I think. Divide them into 3 - 5 team divisions and 1 - 6 team for the very smallest schools. Crossover games would be encouraged between the 3 - 5 team divisions but not counted as a league game for football, basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball. 2 divisons for sports like wrestling, golf track with 1 large school and 1 small school. Soccer could be 1 division. Local rivalry games that are good money makers would still be played.

This would give the TVC one thing it has always lacked, an assigner for games, which the SEOAL has. Reduce the SEOAL membership fee from $2500 per year (I believe) to a smaller amount ($1000 - $1500) since the TVC schools pay something like $300 per year. With 6 teams in the SEOAL the membership fees generate $15,000 per year. Under the new format it would generate $21,000 per year @ $1000 per team X 21 teams.

Travel would be greatly reduced. You could even play junior high games with much less travel time and enourage the larger schools to play the smaller schools if they have 2 teams as some larger school have.

Who cares if you have 4 divisions. There are conferences across Ohio that have more than 2 divisions and do so successfully. Then you would truely have a SouthEastern Ohio Athletic League.

Think outside the box.

JMHO.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Let's go PSU: A win is a win is a win........playoff wins or regular season wins, Portsmouth has 5 wins over the Fighting Tigers this decade........if you're going to make that statement, consider all matchups.......not just regular season......both teams are in the same division, therefore it is quite likely that they will meet at least a once or twice in the playoffs over the course of a decade. Why would playoffs wins not count? They should count just as much or perhaps even more than a regular season contest.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

trojandave .... Perhaps you forget that Ironton fans are permitted to twist the facts in their favor so as to make sure their beloved Tiggers are No. 1. Always. I recall a certain basketball game a couple years ago when the I-towners held the ball almost the whole game on us and then crowed about how well they played against us. Oh well ....

Return to “Football”