Gallia Academy 2010

GAHS83
JV Team

Re: Gallia Academy 2010

Post by GAHS83 »

gahs4ever wrote:To get back to football: Just to show what kind of prophet I am during the early 00's when GAHS was enjoying all those playoff years; winning week 11 games in 1999, 2002, 2003, and 2006, and going to the regional finals in 1999, all the while winning three straight SEOAL titles 2002-03-04 that our fans were becoming spoiled. Winning never satisfies; it only creates an appetite for more winning, and when you get used to going to the playoffs, anything less is substandard and unacceptible.

These people fail to realize that prior to 1999, GAHS had only been to the playoffs twice in school history and had yet to win a playoff game. They also fail to realize how many schools in SE Ohio have NEVER come close to a playoff berth EVER and would give anything to have our history. Finally they fail to look at other successful programs historically that have experienced a similar dropoff like we have. Jackson comes to mind. Up until 1998 they had won more SEOAL football championships than any school in history. They havent won one since 1998 and Logan has surpassed them with the most titles. Athens in fourth on the list behind GAHS, but when was the last time they won one before they left for the TVC?

The point being that every school experiences ups and downs and some classes are stronger and deeper than others. But you let a couple or few down years show up and heads will roll. That mentality seems to be surfacing everywhere these days and Im not sure we are the better for it.

This past fall at the awards recognition, our football coach who had just concluded his first season with a 2-8 record began talking about the season by saying that they didnt win as many games as he and the team had hoped and that if he had a repeat 2-8 next year it would probably be his last awards night as coach. It drew a laugh from the audience as he meant it to, but there is a growing impatience with administrators and fans with their coaches who dont win and some schools in recent years have been nothing more than coaching carousels (see Warren Local).

I agree with you to a point and truly believe that coaches deserve a fair chance. However, at what point should the coach be on the "hot seat" When you see coaches go into perennially poor programs and make an immediate impact, it can be difficult to have patience. Coaching is the key to having a successful program.

Unless the program is already successful and the coach is taking over for a winner, here are some key things that I think define a coach that has a program moving in the right direction:

Improvement in terms of wins and losses over time
Over all headcount of kids playing football from biddy league to varsity increases over time
Kids play hard and don't quit even if they get blown out
A large percentage of players participate in voluntary, off-season workouts

If these things aren't happening after 3 years, I think it is fair to start examining if a change is needed. I'm not necessarily talking about GAHS. I like some of the things Coach Eddy did in his first year and think it is way too early to decide whether or not he's going to be successful. My point is that coaches deserve a fair chance, but they also need to be held accountable if things aren't at least improving.

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

gahs4ever wrote:Coaching is important but is only one cog in the wheel. If the other ingredients arent in place,all the coaching in the world cant overcome them.

I remember a conversation I had with a coach in this area as I drove him and his team on a road trip about 30 years ago. I had just moved to Gallia County from my hometown, and I was appalled at the difference between here and there in terms of sheer numbers of kids playing, their commitment to off season work and conditioning, parental, school and community support to doing whatever it took to put a quality program on the floor/field, etc.

So I asked him very directly, naming some great coaches I was acquainted with, if any of them came here could they be as successful here as where they were. He didnt think so. Anyone can wait around for that great class of athletes that only seems to come around small schools every 10-20 years. The secret, IMO, is a marriage of kids, parents, schools, coaches, and community to do whatever it takes to consistently put a competitive product out there.

This transcends x's and 0's, scouting, and game planning IMO.

Aren't the other ingredients the coach's responsibility as well?

I agree that the X's and O's and other direct game related stuff isn't always the most important part of building a winning program. The most successful coaches that I have been around have been the ones who don't wait for the kids, parents, community or administration to get the right attitude. They have been the ones to lead these changes. You have to be a motivator that is able to get more kids involved in the program and in off-season workouts, you have to be an active administrator of the youth and Jr. High football programs to get kids involved early, you have to be a good public speaker and spend the time to win the community and parents over. And then, on top of all that, you have to be a good coach.

I thought for a long time that I'd like to coach high school football. I believe that I have the knowledge of the game and the ability to motivate young men. However, I've come to realize that I don't have the charisma, PR skills or patience with parents and the community to build a successful program. I think many coaches get into coaching thinking that their passion for and knowledge of the game will be enough to make them successful and don't realize that they're going to have to be just as successful, if not more so, in building a community and school attitude to support winning football. Additionally, I feel that many administrators don't focus on these traits when hiring coaches and that is why some programs end up with a traditionally losing record and a coaching carousel.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Right on 83, without question. Coaches can lead by example and have control over their own destiny. They can lead by example and get attitudes to change about winning/losing as well as work ethics because if the kids buy in then the other chips just fall into place in time. When the trend reverses negatively as far as mentality, commitment, respect, and support then change is gonna follow especially if the change lasts for a period of years or is evidentally worsening over a period of years.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Has anyone heard what the weight room numbers are?

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

My son says there are 30ish, but not all of the atheletes that compete in track and baseball can make it on a consistent basis if at all. We won't know for sure until spring sports are over.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Also, it is good to keep 'em busy.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I keep hearing good things about the weight program and can see the kids bulking up.

Coach Eddy may not win 8 games this year but GAHS will be better. That is all anyone can ask.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

If your record improves every year, its just a matter of time before you are state champion :lol: :lol: :lol:

CLane
Riding the Bench

Post by CLane »

To be honest, I didn't really follow the football team that much last year. I lost interest b/c of the coaching change. I found a web page with some player's highlights and was really impressed. Austin Wilson can flat out run! His dad is one of my favorite all-time coaches and I remember Austin from when he was a wee lad. Ethan Moore seems to be a solid QB and Golden is a beast.

I know they're highlights but I find it hard to believe they won just 2 games. What were the main issues? Did we struggle in the trenches? Defense? Not enough support for those 3 skill players mentioned? I've read a lot about "trouble learning a new system" but I find that reason a little weak. I'm just curious...

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

CLane wrote:To be honest, I didn't really follow the football team that much last year. I lost interest b/c of the coaching change. I found a web page with some player's highlights and was really impressed. Austin Wilson can flat out run! His dad is one of my favorite all-time coaches and I remember Austin from when he was a wee lad. Ethan Moore seems to be a solid QB and Golden is a beast.

I know they're highlights but I find it hard to believe they won just 2 games. What were the main issues? Did we struggle in the trenches? Defense? Not enough support for those 3 skill players mentioned? I've read a lot about "trouble learning a new system" but I find that reason a little weak. I'm just curious...

A few things kind of snowballed agains GAHS last year.

First off, their schedule was front-loaded last year. Their first 6 opponents finished with a combined record of 42-8. Their two wins came against 1-9 teams. The other 8 teams combined had a record of 58-12. None of those eight teams won less than 7 games. That combined with a new coach made for some poor showings early. This could've led to some confidence issues. They had some of the weaker teams toward the end of the year and the results showed.

Secondly, their pass defense and defending the outside run was very poor early in the year. All teams had to do was run sweeps and play action passes and they went through us pretty easy. This got shored up later in the year and we fared much better.

Thirdly, the offensive line really struggled early as well. There just weren't many holes for the backs to run and we had no time to pass at all. Once again, this improved as the year went on.

All in all, they got much better as the year went on. They played a couple of good teams tough in the first half until mistakes caught up with them. They should've beaten Portsmouth if they could've covered kicks. They played hard all year long and didn't quit. Their JV and freshman teams both had success. Their senior class was small and they had several juniors and sophomores get significant playing time in competitive, non-mop up situations. I'm hoping that they can continue with their hard work and build upon the improvement they showed toward the end of the year.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Why say all that!!! When it comes down to two"LINE PLAY"and "CAN'T COVER THE PASS".

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

BBallin fool wrote:Why say all that!!! When it comes down to two"LINE PLAY"and "CAN'T COVER THE PASS".

You must really miss GAHS... you are here all the time on our posts

Mrs M

That Boy 20
Waterboy

Post by That Boy 20 »

1987chieftains wrote:but will they work as a team? i hope, i like to see gallia return to glory.

Better be careful what you wish for! LOL.

That Boy 20
Waterboy

Post by That Boy 20 »

CLane wrote:To be honest, I didn't really follow the football team that much last year. I lost interest b/c of the coaching change. I found a web page with some player's highlights and was really impressed. Austin Wilson can flat out run! His dad is one of my favorite all-time coaches and I remember Austin from when he was a wee lad. Ethan Moore seems to be a solid QB and Golden is a beast.

CLane- Personally we are lacking in the total amount of Overall Athlets with FOOTBALL IQ. If my guess is correct, in your time of playing ball there was a team full of complete athlets that has SPORTS IQ along with just FOOTBALL IQ. I am not seeing that in a lot of the SEOAL schools as much as back in the early 2000's and before then. The passion for the game seems to have been hidden somewhere. Not saying there is none now. But if you take GAHS for example during the time frame I am talking about, you had athlets who lived sports and would do anything to be playing them as they speak. Look at the years from say 2006 grads to now. They are what 3 (if I remember correctly) still playing football in college and 1 going to play. From the early 2000's if the opportunities came along with how the recruiting world is now. There would have been a bunch of alumni who would have went for football and finished because of the LOVE FOR THE GAME!

Just alil from what I see looking from the outside now and knowing a lot of those athlets from C/O 2010 to 1995

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

M&M!!!Nothing against the program !!! Facts are facts they got to get better on the line and D-Backs!!!And M&M!!! I Wish GA THE best the PROBLEM I HAD is gone.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

I look for Gallia to be much improved this season. They could very well surprise some teams this season in the SEOAL.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

We'll be better...

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

has a schedule been put out yet??

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

2010 Football Schedule

8/27/10 Athens A

9/3/10 Hillsboro H

9/10/10 Wellston H

9/17/10 Marietta A

9/24/10 Ironton A

10/1/10 Logan A

10/8/10 Chillicothe H

10/15/10 Portsmouth H (Homecoming)

10/22/10 Warren A

10/29/10 Jackson H

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I think Ironton's schedule still looks tough for next year.

Wheelersburg
Russell
Chillicothe
Ashland
Gallia Academy
Jonathan Alder
Jackson
Bishop Hartley
Portsmouth

Return to “Football”