SOC2 Lucasville Valley (7-0) vs. Portsmouth West (7-0)

Winner?

Total votes: 0

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: SOC2 Lucasville Valley (7-0) vs. Portsmouth West (7-0)

Post by Bleeding Red »

sider wrote:
Shankweiler has played better competition this year I do understand that, but against common opponents Trevon has done better in yards (not by much) and yards per carry...both are very very good, but from an unbiased view I feel Trevon is better by a decent margin.

Interesting you brought that up about common opponents.

Minford, Portsmouth, Fairland and Rock Hill are all common opponents. What were the stats of those games for each player? Total attempts, yds and TD's?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Does anyone remember when this site was a great place to talk about games, get info, and really enjoy the conversations? Anymore it is just a huge pissing contest and it just gets old. I don't care if Pendelton is better than Shank or not. Please leave this to West and Valley....

This game will be a complete contrast in styles. Valley will come out and throw the ball around the lot and West will line up and try to run it down the Indians' throats. It should be a great game to watch. Pendelton is a great runner and overall great player. West is loaded and has been fairly dominating so far. I have not seen West so of course of lot of my assumptions are going on what I have seen from Valley and other teams that I have seen.

Here is what I see.... I believe, based on pure size numbers that I have seen, that West will have an advantage in the trenches. Valley is fairly undersized upfront, but don't forget that the Indians do have a very expirenced o-line. There are a lot of kids that have played a lot of ball upfront. I still think West's size gives them the edge up front.

I know that a lot of people have went on and on about West's speed, but I believe Valley will be a little quicker than the Siders in the skill positions. Holcomb and Yates are two of the quickest players you will see in this part of the state. However, I feel that West being at home, on the grass, negates some of Valley's quickness edge.

End of the day, both teams are going to score points. I think that Valley can win, and I think they will win, because of one thing..... Blake Yates. If you have not seen this kid, you need to. He is just flat out good. Valley has put out some great quarterbacks over the past 25 years. Some I have watched and some I have played with, but Yates is the best of the bunch. No disrespect and I know I will get killed for this but I believe it.. Yates is the best that I have seen in this area since I started to really follow southern Ohio HS football. I know that Jesse Slone, Derek Roback, and Trevor Walls were all fairly highly recruited and others like Tom Kaskey, Josh Myers, Jay Gullion, and Tyler Hull had or are having great carrers, but I won't take any of them over Yates. His pocket presence and the ability to throw the ball down the field make him the total quarterback package. He has somewhere between 19-22 TD passes (can't swear to the exact total) and no Int's all year. Granted, Valley is just now getting to the meat of their schedule, but his numbers are just amazing.

Now, West may come out and take it to Valley and win the game. But this is my opinion and why I think Valley will win. See, if everyone else can stick to saying why they feel the way they do and not just a bunch of "we will win big no doubt" or "valley will score at will" bullcrap.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West had last years game well in hand late, until a couple fumbles killed us. Trevon didn't think at least one of those was legit. I would say he'll use that as a little extra motivation.

Valley may share some of the same similarities as Portsmouth in being kind of a turf team. Any speed advantage that they may have, which I don't think is much, could be negated.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Is Yates a junior or senior? He has some very good stats. No interceptions this late in the year from a passing QB is very impressive. What little I've seen you have to keep him in the pocket and he keeps his eyes downfield. You cannot leave the receiver, or we may be looking at a couple plays like friday. I'm sure coach will work on this.

A couple times in the second half friday the Minford QB got out of the pocket and we just didn't tackle him. No disrespect to other kids, but he makes such a difference in that he explodes to the ball and he doesn't miss tackles. If you open up the field and give him sight of the ballcarrier, more times than not he makes the play.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Yates is a junior, same as Ratliff. Just wondering....Think how good they will both be next year. Next year will be good for both schools again!

OST
Freshman Team

Post by OST »

I personally think Holcomb will be the impact player this week. He is a good 5'9 165-175lbs but hits and runs like he is a good 6' 200lbs. His speed an cuts are imo the best in this area and he is underrated I think. I give west the advantage in one thing and that is they have a big game under the belt with the win over Minford. Both teams are going to give it their all friday night and only one is going to grab that W. Excited to see how it plays out.

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

West is now battle tested. Valley hasn't played a good team yet. West wins by 2 TD's.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

nice matchup to bad somebody has to lose good luck

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Extra Points
Extra points is something we need to do better. Auger is a good kicker with a great leg, but we've got to have those extra points consistantly.

I don't know anything about kicking, but a very knowledgeable guy I do know said to look at Auger's plant foot when he kicks. He said when he makes them he steps directly beside the ball. Said when he misses he plants a little short of the ball and gets his kicking leg out in front. Making him pull or hook it. It's something to watch.

I wonder if he would be better to kick PAT's from straight on. He has plenty of leg and it may help his consistancy.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

this is to close to call right now. but i also believe that the difference makers r going to huge in this game. my difference makers r Holcomb for valley and locher(sp) for west. these two cats have to play lights out for their teams. they can never leave the field. who ever has the best game i think that team will have a huge advantage.

sports87
Riding the Bench

Post by sports87 »

Iam a west fan always have been and always will be i think it a disrespect for any one get on here and try to put a kid down no matter what school they play for. I for one am very proud of all are local team these boys work very hard to get where they are so you can be proud of them we should show them that the work they do does not go with notice. Me i would like to thank them all for the work they have done to make Friday nights so very special so we can talk about the game THANK AGAIN BEST OF LUCK TO ALL AREA TEAMS

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Valley and West are similar in many facets, both have a lot of three and two year starters...I think Valley started 7 sophs last year and I know for a fact West did, so both of these teams are experienced, I believe West's pass defense will improve, but a lot of the reason Minford had those big pass plays is because of the fact that we lost contain, we can't do that this week. I do believe West will be extremely motivated and that we will be able to line and run the ball, but we must continue to keep passing the ball effectively if we want to win, and we can not get into 3rd long situations.

I think this is the best team Valley has fielded in quite some while, and I really believe they are good enough to beat any team in the league, but West is used to huge games like this, they have home field advantage, and their is bad blood going back to last year. Therefore, I do not think West will let this one slip away from them

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

sider wrote:the reason Minford had those big pass plays is because of the fact that we lost contain, we can't do that this week.
i believe keeping "contain" this week will be more of a problem than last week for west.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

So, is 6-1 Coal Grove not any good? Just curious...

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Friday we had one defensive goal, and that was to stop the run. I would imagine that pass will be much more of an emphasis this week.
Last year when Roback and Waverly came in people said the same thing. West went nickel and totally shut them down.

bad breath
Riding the Bench

Post by bad breath »

^West went nickel and totally shut them down.

See. there are a few good things you can buy for 5 cents.

bad breath
Riding the Bench

Post by bad breath »

Seriously, if West's first offensive play is a half back pass or statue of liberty play... touchdown. Valley would be totally confused. West needs to mix it up to win this game. Also, how about lining the Pendalton boy up under the center and set the QB in the slot? Wow! Totally unexpected. The West fans would go crazy.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

FIDO wrote:
chicken_coop wrote:So, is 6-1 Coal Grove not any good? Just curious...
I think some are rationalizing, since Valley dominated the game this year, they must be having a weak 6-1 season.

I guess so....eventhough CG is #3 in Reg. 19 with W's over Athens, Meigs, Trimble and Greenup County...

I could see if Valley won the game 35-34 or something, but it was 42-7 at the half...

WestFan27
Freshman Team

Post by WestFan27 »

FIDO wrote:I'm tracking with you....I like the fact Valley is being overlooked by some though....

Valley is not being overlooked by anyone that matters for West. This game could very easily go either, good luck to both teams

Orange_N_Black_Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Orange_N_Black_Fan »

sider wrote:
jagered wrote:All depends on who coaches the worst, I watched the West-Minford game and I am still trying to figure out where all this speed is everybody keeps talking about from West, Pendeton got run down by #5 think thats the Butcher kid correct me if i am wrong, and he did have the angle on him by a little bit but when he broke threw to the second level i said he is gone and to be honest he got caught quick. Not bashing him i wouldnt want to hurt anyone's feelings but in my opinion the Shankweiler kid from the burg is th best back in this area hands down.
Butcher caught Pendleton because hes as fast or faster than him, trevon had a football in his hand and he had the angle on him its that simple, but being the fastest person in the world does not make you the best running back. Shankweiler is very good, but he still hasn't done as much as Trevon. Trevon has had more yards every year (last year with an average line), This year Trevon has had considerably less carries and considerably more yards, and even yesterday when he had a "bad game" he still had 100 yards in a half! No Trevon hasn't played an Ironton or Oak Hill, but I have watched both for three years and still can't see how Shankweiler is better

If Shankweiler could have played a west schedule the last 3yrs
he would have had double the yards Trevon had, FACT!!!
Also I don't recall Trevon having an out standing game at burg last year.
See playing good teams does make a big difference, he will almost see same D as last
year but better. :lol:

Return to “Football”