Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Week 8: Minford (7-0, 2-0) @ Wheelersburg (6-1, 2-0)

Post by fbnut »

I am guessing up 34-7 in second half the burg started subbing some. Man over 350 yds passing in high school and not impressed, tough crowd. I guess ironton will really be overrated after this week when they lose to 7-0 #1 ranked Hartley.

Endzone_Warrior
Varsity

Post by Endzone_Warrior »

Everyone keeps saying that ball control is the way to stop the “Spread”,your partially correct because there really is no way to really STOP it, if anything it only slows them down. Like I said before, Easier said than done!!

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

Wheelersburg has a soft schedule.
Minford has played powerhouses.

Wheelersburg racks up stats on lesser opponents.
Minford has a balanced attack.

Wheelersburg is soft defensively.
Minford smacks you in the mouth.

The truth is that both of these teams are pretty good. They have been successful playing very different styles of football. Whichever team dictates the tempo early will e at an advantage.

The style Wheelersburg plays allows them to do some things Minford might not be able to if they get out ahead. In the Jackson game, Wheelersburg score two times early. Jackson had to throw to play catchup and the Pirates were able to turn their defense loose on the QB with little threat to run. If the Pirates play with a lead, their style makes them very hard to catch.

It's been stated clearly what Minford will need to do. Be balance on offense and keep the Pirates in front of them on defense. I won't rehash this.

The team that dictates tempo will win this game.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

As marshalman kind of hinted around on, the kicking game and special teams could be the difference in this match-up. If Minford can punt the ball as they are capable, and keep Burg 80-90 yards away from a touchdown on every touch, it would be a tremendous asset. With that being said, I like the Falcons to "escape" from Burg with a nail biter win. Minford 17-14

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

nutronron2012 wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:
eagles 89 wrote:I dont know how many people are giving Minford a chance to win, but I am convinced they are gonna win this game. The Pirates have been talked about enough.....like always. Minford knows what they have to do to beat the Pirates and they will punch the burg in the mouth and ball control all night, the only question would be turnovers. Other than Ironton, who has the burg played that is any good. Everyone wants to talk about Valley and Minford's schedule, but who did the burg beat that is actually any good. Cant wait for this game....I think the falcons are gonna slow down that spread and hopefully force a few bad decisions from the quarterback and control the line of scrimmage on offense. Go Falcons!

Coal Grove-Possible playoff team.

Jackson-Playoff team the last few years. Big team

Fairland was supposed to be tough with a high powered offense and Burg crushed them at Fairland.

You know, two years ago Minford came in undefeated, same crap was talked about on here by Minford fans and Burg destroyed them. This years game, who knows who wins. I do know this, both teams respect each other and hopefully don't get caught up in some of the crap on here.

Also, just how do you slow down a spread offense? The only way to do that is to control the ball and if Minford has to many three and outs and Burg turns those into scores, it could be a game just like two years ago.
Coal Grove is better than everyone thinks. The 3 games they lost were to teams with a combined record of 20-1.
And the only game out of those 3 that CG was ever really in was the Burg game. Valley hammered them from the get go and Ready beat them like they stole something.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Evan Howard, and Caleb Clark need to have big games in the passing attack for Minford as well, as I am sure a point of emphasis will be to take away Farrar and Berry. If Burg brings the heat hard off the edge, which I feel they will, Minford should look to hit some quick screens, and hopefully get Justice involved in the receiving game.

here4fun
Varsity

Post by here4fun »

I just have a hard time thinking that minford is going to do much with Burg only puting 17 points up on west struggling with piketon and oakhill not saying these are bad team just not up to par with Burg

BurgPunk
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgPunk »

I love it how this game is hyped up every year (like 2010). The last 58 years, the Burg is 51-7 against Muletown. I know people like to beat the Burg and spin things like"yardage", "schedules", "ball control"...they mean nothing, as does the previous 58 years. I respect Minford and think their coaching staff has turned things around in a very good way. Burg's offense scores quick so will lose time of possession, good defense leads to less yardage gained offensively, so on and so forth. I think Patrick Lewis (I-Town) is quicker and better than any Minford back and other than a fumble return and kickoff return, they handled him pretty good. "Stat" wise, Burg killed Ironton, but like I said...it can be deceiving! Hope for a good game...if out of town like me, tune in to Burgfan.com for live podcast...even some Minford folks think the commentators are hilarious and entertaining. They are a riot!

NewEra
All Conference

Post by NewEra »

BurgPunk wrote:I love it how this game is hyped up every year (like 2010). The last 58 years, the Burg is 51-7 against Muletown. I know people like to beat the Burg and spin things like"yardage", "schedules", "ball control"...they mean nothing, as does the previous 58 years. I respect Minford and think their coaching staff has turned things around in a very good way. Burg's offense scores quick so will lose time of possession, good defense leads to less yardage gained offensively, so on and so forth. I think Patrick Lewis (I-Town) is quicker and better than any Minford back and other than a fumble return and kickoff return, they handled him pretty good. "Stat" wise, Burg killed Ironton, but like I said...it can be deceiving! Hope for a good game...if out of town like me, tune in to Burgfan.com for live podcast...even some Minford folks think the commentators are hilarious and entertaining. They are a riot!
Although 4 of this wins are since the year 2000, so it has picked up a bit.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Endzone_Warrior wrote:Everyone keeps saying that ball control is the way to stop the “Spread”,your partially correct because there really is no way to really STOP it, if anything it only slows them down. Like I said before, Easier said than done!!
You are partially wrong AGAIN.lmao.The spread gets stopped all the time. When you match speed with speed, disguising coverages, bringing blitzes and angling fronts. If there is a mismatch in speed and talent, any offense looks good but especially the spread.
Next year you will start seeing more high schools running power sets from spread formations.

I think Minford can match Burg in speed. Hope it is a good game.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Obviously Burg hasn't played any1 and Minford has played a powerhouse schedule.... So I'll say Minford 60+ Burg 0

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

eagles 89 wrote: What is gonna happen when they play a good Minford squad and a good Valley squad. :?: ;-)
The PIRATES make them walk the plank and will beat the good minford squad and a good valley squad :lol:

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

I agree .

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

im going to guess the final to be
BURG 35
minford 14

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

BurgGrad_06 wrote:Obviously Burg hasn't played any1 and Minford has played a powerhouse schedule.... So I'll say Minford 60+ Burg 0
LOL. :lol: Yeah. Thats what it sounds like. IMHO it sounds like Minford is trying to convince theirself they will win. I dont have a dog in the fight so i dont care but it is entertaining watching the drama unfold. I honestly think Burg will take control after the half.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

wheelersburg by alot.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Bring your earplugs folks BOOM BOOM BOOM

DreamTeam
Waterboy

Post by DreamTeam »

Burg's too much for Minford .. Burg-42 Minford-17

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Calpreps is projecting Burg 31-17

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

SPAMONY wrote:Bring your earplugs folks BOOM BOOM BOOM
They are gonna shoot the cannon off this year when Minford scores? LOL

Return to “Football”