Week 7 - Oak Hill @ Northwest

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 7 - Oak Hill @ Northwest

Post by Dr_Know »

Have we not learned that there is no correlation between Jr High and High School success? On the strength of numbers alone, I have no doubt that NW will continue to be somewhat successful against the SOC I schools. I don't believe that their style of play will let them be competitive with the SOC II schools. In Jr High, the kids that have matured are the standouts. Once everyone catches up, the difference is found in offseason work and coaching.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Dr_Know wrote:Have we not learned that there is no correlation between Jr High and High School success? On the strength of numbers alone, I have no doubt that NW will continue to be somewhat successful against the SOC I schools. I don't believe that their style of play will let them be competitive with the SOC II schools. In Jr High, the kids that have matured are the standouts. Once everyone catches up, the difference is found in offseason work and coaching.
How many junior high teams does northwest have? I was told alot of schools are now fielding an A and B team or just 1 team. That makes a big difference.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Kenraken Ahta wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:
Kenraken Ahta wrote:I know it is a bit off the subject, but does anyone remember the final score of that State Championship Game West played in years ago?

Back on the subject. I think Oak Hill is better than their record indicates and if NW does not play four solid quarters of football tomorrow night, folks will have to find something other than the Mohawks play-off chances to talk about! May the best team win and there be no injuries!
45-13 in a loss to Kenton in 2002
Thanks nutroron2012! I could not even remember the team they played! Old age will do that to you. I do recall how the folks from Southern Ohio supported the Senator's run through the play-offs and the title game. A State Title would have been great for the folks in West Portsmouth and the entire Southern Ohio community! I'm sure the kids that played in that game are still to this day proud to have been there!
Unfortunately, west had to face Kenton & their incredible QB Ben Mauk. They'd line up in the shotgun all game & spread the field out & Mauk would pass for like 350+ yds/game. His dad was the coach & still is.
His little brother did the same thing in 2012 or so & is the starting QB @ Missouri.
There's also another Mauk coming up & he'll be a freshman next year.

I'm from Ironton but follow Ohio HS FB closely from Orlando where I have resided for 20+ years. I work @ Disney & our name tags say our city & state on them. It makes for conversation. Just this may, I was teaching a wine class to guests from Kenton & the Mauk coming up is Ben & Matty's first cousin. They were 6 feet qb's & their young cousin is already 6-3. He's undefeated since peewee leagues & has passed for over 4300 yards in ten games in his 7th & 8th grade Season with one game left. So, they'll start making noise again.
I remember listening to the PW game against Kenton & Ben Mauk & they actually played with them for ALMOST a quarter, then it was over!!!
I was so proud of PWHS for representing southern Ohio that year!
I'll provide some info in the Mauks below.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Mauk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maty_Mauk

nafkwah0m
Waterboy

Post by nafkwah0m »

Dr_Know wrote:Have we not learned that there is no correlation between Jr High and High School success? On the strength of numbers alone, I have no doubt that NW will continue to be somewhat successful against the SOC I schools. I don't believe that their style of play will let them be competitive with the SOC II schools. In Jr High, the kids that have matured are the standouts. Once everyone catches up, the difference is found in offseason work and coaching.

I would have to disagree. The past has shown all around this area that a class that is good in junior high is generally good in high school. Though I admit that occasionally a teams junior high success is because they have a bearded running back. But most of the time its due to having a good group of athletes as its hard for one player to win a football game. More often than not the teams who are winning in high school had their seniors class winning in 8th grade as well.

There are exceptions to the rule such as valley who gets a lot of good players transferring in and has a great coaching staff that works year round to improve their teams chances of winning. Which is why all the people saying valley will not be good over the next few years are probably going to be surprised. They may not be as dominate as they have been last year and this year but they will hold their own and compete.

Return to “Football”