Burg 23 West 14 2021 Playoffs

SiderBlood
All Conference

Re: Wk:11- West @ THE BURG Round 2

Post by SiderBlood »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:06 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:53 pm I'm not much on moral victories, but we showed we could play. The 4 play stuff on the goal line was big. And man what having a kicker means. You can make an argument, without Burgs kicker, we win. They know how to finish the game. We lose 2 starters on offense and 3 on defense. The future is there. As always, Proud to be a West Sider.
How can you say that? He kicked 3 FG's. Take those away its 14-14 and going to OT.

How does that give West the win?? Especially since Burg has the best kicker according to you.
Because just what you said? It's 14-14 without him. And the way he plays field position with his punts, is amazing. Do you want me tell you that Burgs offense ran all over the place? They didn't. I said make an argument not that they would. Get your panties out of a wad Because I didn't say exactly what you wanted to hear. It was a good game.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

SiderBlood wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:53 pm I'm not much on moral victories, but we showed we could play. The 4 play stuff on the goal line was big. And man what having a kicker means. You can make an argument, without Burgs kicker, we win. They know how to finish the game. We lose 2 starters on offense and 3 on defense. The future is there. As always, Proud to be a West Sider.
How can you say that? He kicked 3 FG's. Take those away its 14-14 and going to OT.

How does that give West the win?? Especially since Burg has the best kicker according to you.
They must teach that new math on the West side :)

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:55 pm

More than the points that goes into the game. Starting drives when you have to go 95 yards makes a huge difference. If you played the game or know anything about it, it goes without saying. On the West Side or anywhere in the country.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

To your point as well, with his punting, most Waverly drives started around or inside the 10 against the Burg.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

522Pirate wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:14 pm To your point as well, with his punting, most Waverly drives started around or inside the 10 against the Burg.
And it's a compliment, having that in your back pocket is what separates teams.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:03 pm

More than the points that goes into the game. Starting drives when you have to go 95 yards makes a huge difference. If you played the game or know anything about it, it goes without saying. On the West Side or anywhere in the country.
I did play the game. I also know 14-14 does not equal West win, and when the clock reaches zero, only the points matter.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:49 pm

I did play the game. I also know 14-14 does not equal West win, and when the clock reaches zero, only the points matter.
Tell me where I said we win? I said make an argument. Yeah the score is the only thing that matters. Penalties, turnovers, field position, etc.. are all how you get to a score. But it doesn't tell the story of the game. Shouldn't have to spell it out. Probably wasn't knocking many academic awards down with your reading and problem solving skills.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:31 pm
Tell me where I said we win? I said make an argument. Yeah the score is the only thing that matters. Penalties, turnovers, field position, etc.. are all how you get to a score. But it doesn't tell the story of the game. Shouldn't have to spell it out. Probably wasn't knocking many academic awards down with your reading and problem solving skills.
You do not want to compare academic achievements. That would be a bigger beat down than than the ones Burg has put on West over the years.

Back to football, West doesn’t beat Burg due to a major systemic issue: West is simply outmanned. In the 70’s and 80’s when West won more often and was very competitive in their losses, the numbers with regards to players were similar. Blowouts were rare, and the biggest scoring differential in the 80’s was 18pts (a game West won).

Now, Burg has a massive player advantage. And the blowouts are much larger and far more common; West also wins far less often. Until the gap in numbers is resolved, West will struggle to compete against Burg like they did 30+ years ago.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

On a different note, I was on the West Side today and stopped by and saw the new field. Hats off to the West Side for investing in the future of the kids. Very well done.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm

You do not want to compare academic achievements. That would be a bigger beat down than than the ones Burg has put on West over the years.

Back to football, West doesn’t beat Burg due to a major systemic issue: West is simply outmanned. In the 70’s and 80’s when West won more often and was very competitive in their losses, the numbers with regards to players were similar. Blowouts were rare, and the biggest scoring differential in the 80’s was 18pts (a game West won).

Now, Burg has a massive player advantage. And the blowouts are much larger and far more common; West also wins far less often. Until the gap in numbers is resolved, West will struggle to compete against Burg like they did 30+ years ago.
Absolutely, I should never bring up academics when someone can't read. And I would never compare to thee Holy ones from up there. After all, they are the only place that I'm aware of that you can go to 1st grade twice and call it "pre".

You are spot on with the numbers though. We were talking in the stands how the numbers have shifted over the years.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:47 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Absolutely, I should never bring up academics when someone can't read. And I would never compare to thee Holy ones from up there. After all, they are the only place that I'm aware of that you can go to 1st grade twice and call it "pre".

You are spot on with the numbers though. We were talking in the stands how the numbers have shifted over the years.
Of course I’m spot on. After all, I’m one of “thee Holy ones from up there”!

Never heard of “pre-first”? Burg puts all kindergarten students through a screening process to determine future athletic performance (think Soviet Union Olympic team). Once complete, the most promising are put in pre-first to give Burg that extra edge.

As for next year’s game, don’t get too excited. Instead of 72 players like they have this year, Burg will be in the 80-90 range next season.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Numbers of players doesn’t win football games, but quality depth is a must. If you watch the best small school teams in the state the skill guys rarely come off the field. And that’s teams like Kirkland, Coldwater, and Marion Local. West had to play their big guys both ways last night and the difference was seen as they couldn’t open holes in the run game. West looses the Center and the rest are back and they have some good young guys who should be able to provide depth. Only other loss is the fullback, kicker, and a couple guys that subbed in. Both teams will be good but West does return several more starters that played last night.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Westfan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:11 am Numbers of players doesn’t win football games, but quality depth is a must. If you watch the best small school teams in the state the skill guys rarely come off the field. And that’s teams like Kirkland, Coldwater, and Marion Local. West had to play their big guys both ways last night and the difference was seen as they couldn’t open holes in the run game. West looses the Center and the rest are back and they have some good young guys who should be able to provide depth. Only other loss is the fullback, kicker, and a couple guys that subbed in. Both teams will be good but West does return several more starters that played last night.
Numbers make a significant difference, everything from being able to field a freshman team to what can be done in practice. Your point about rotating defensive linemen is good example of why numbers are important. The successful small schools in Ohio typically have 65+ players on their team. West is sitting at 46.

In the 1970’s and 1980’s, when player numbers were closer, West beat Burg six times while most of the losses to Burg were one score losses. And this was against the best Burg coach with some of the best Burg teams and talent. In the past 30 years, West has only won four times and have been blown out many times.

Until West can match player numbers year in and year out, this rivalry will not be what is was back in the day.

Return to “Football”