Logan Football League Talk

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Logan applies to the Licking County League

Post by noreply66 »

LCL wants to go to 14 teams and two divisions. Some in that league may not like this and decide to leave after three years.

Two teams interested in joining the SEOAL and if the SEOAL did just that.

Now Logan can belong to 2 leagues and have a ten game schedule. 6 from the LCL and 4 from the SEOAL.

Logan can be talking to the LCL and saying we know you have some teams not interested in the two divisions and may want to leave. We would stay in the LCL if this happens but we want to keep the SEOAL going too.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Dundas wrote:
doubleplay643 wrote:
I would like to cast my vote for Mayor to Dundas.

I'll gladly accept and promise free parking for all!
Lol, we will give up the $2 parking fee for entry into the TVC (or any league for that matter).
Keep charging the $2. Just deposit into the mayors fund. :)

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Yeah, that makes more sense. The LCL is a tough thing to re-align to make everyone happy. WM and LH will want to be together; Granville, Licking Valley, Heath, and Johnstown(-Monroe) will want to be together. Northridge and Utica will want to be together. Newark Catholic, would probably want to be with that middle-sized group, though would it make sense in the future? NR & Utica aren't as keen to play NC as GHS, LV, and Heath would be.

Something that has been on my mind is the cost of travel. Prices are low now, but what if gas goes up again to $3.00> figures? Granted, Logan was making trips to Portsmouth and Gal-ya Academy when prices were high so it may be a moot point, but am curious if that is factored in.

gils
JV Team

Post by gils »

The Newark Advocate has an article about LCL expansion on their website. The LCL is inviting six schools with a mix of small and large enrollments.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

So we know that Logan is one of the six schools.

I would assume that Big Walnut - who was not very happy with their future OCC alignment - and Zanesville, who will be looking for a home should the ECOL die, will be getting invites. These three I think are pretty much locks to have gotten invites (we know Logan received one).

As to the other three...

There are not very many small schools in the vicinity that would be looking to change leagues. Columbus Academy was a league foe of Granville, Licking Valley, Heath, and Newark Catholic in the former MSL-Ohio. They may be the best candidate from a football standpoint in the perspective of Northridge, Utica, and Newark Catholic. Maybe even Heath. Or... possibly Liberty Union.

Buckeye Valley's league is in danger of going away. Jonathan Alder, Fairbanks, and Elgin are confirmed to be leaving, and I thought I heard that Galion is looking to get out as well. BV is on the "larger" end of "middle-sized" schools.

Coshocton and River View could be potential small school candidates I imagine, too.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

loganlocos wrote:http://www.logandaily.com/sports/boe-ap ... 9dcf4.html

The Logan Board of Education approved a resolution seeking membership in the Licking COunty League last night.

The Licking County League currently consists of Granville, Lakewood, Licking Heights, Licking Valley, and Watkins Memorial (Buckeye Division) and Heath, Johnstown, Northridge, Newark Catholic, and Utica (Cardinal Division).

The league is considering expanding their "Big School" (Buckeye) Division. Licking Hts and Watkins Memorial are the most likely duo to remain in the big school division, while Lakewood, Licking Valley, and Graville could all move to the Cardinal Division.

Zanesville is one other school also considering membership in the Licking County League.

The Licking County League explored expansion a year ago with plans that included Logan, Zanesville, Mount Vernon, Big Walnut, and Newark amongst others. That deal fell apart when Mount Vernon moved to the Ohio Heritage Conference.

One correction: Mount Vernon is headed to the Ohio Cardinal Conference.

Also, don't be shocked if Canal Winchester is in the mix. That would add 4 teams to the LCL which would include Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Logan, and Zanesville.

(This is purely my guess.)
14 teams: 6 in big school - Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Licking Heights, Logan, Watkins Memorial, and Zanesville. Look to add 2 more big schools.
8 in small school - Granville, Heath, Johnstown, Lakewood, Licking Valley, Newark Catholic, Northridge, and Utica.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

BTW, other teams the LCL pursued last year were Newark, New Albany, and Tri-Valley.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I would love for Logan to dual league if they join the LCL and the SEOAL adds at least one member, even if the SEOAL is a secondary league to them. I think the hardest sport for scheduling dual league would be soccer with Athens and Alexander in the SEOAL as associate members for soccer, but Logan could still play all SEOAL soccer members once to fill out the non-conference schedule. As for who the 2 schools the SEOAL are interested in adding, I'd think it'd be Marietta and Point Pleasant, but I'd also like for the SEOAL to at least give Athens an invite. There's a 99% chance they'll decline it, but it's still worth a shot since they'd be the center of the league should they actually join and a 6th member.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/spo ... /79359906/
Licking County League expansion still on table
Staff report 5:14 p.m. EST January 26, 2016

NEWARK - Expansion remains on the table for the Licking County League.

Commissioner Kelly Miller confirmed Tuesday the LCL has invited six schools for possible membership. He said the schools are a mix of of schools with large and small enrollments.

On Monday, the Logan-Hocking Board of Education approved a resolution seeking membership, according to a story in Tuesday's Logan Daily News. Logan is playing nonleague games this school year against LCL members Watkins Memorial and Licking Heights, but Miller said a year ago expansion was being more strongly considered by schools in neighboring counties.

While the official bylaws do not dictate that new members be from neighboring counties, one of the considerations for expansion is travel.

“When we started to talk and recruit teams, we tried to remain contiguous to Licking County,” Miller said in March. “It’s easy to think about schools at a varsity level, but you don’t want your kid and I don’t want my kids driving to two counties over to do junior high football. That is something we have remained cognizant of.”

Newark Superintendent Doug Ute said Tuesday that Newark is not applying for membership. While Newark remains a member of the Ohio Capital Conference, Ute said the school always will keep an open mind.

A year ago, the LCL appeared to be on the verge of expansion, but one interested school chose to join another league while other schools decided to stay in their current leagues for the time being.

Expansion has been a hot topic since the re-formation of the LCL in 2013. Competitive balance has been a concern.

To alleviate that concern, the LCL approved Northridge playing a reduced LCL schedule in football this past fall and next fall, and the LCL also split into divisions for several sports, including boys and girls basketball, baseball, and softball.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote:
loganlocos wrote:http://www.logandaily.com/sports/boe-ap ... 9dcf4.html

The Logan Board of Education approved a resolution seeking membership in the Licking COunty League last night.

The Licking County League currently consists of Granville, Lakewood, Licking Heights, Licking Valley, and Watkins Memorial (Buckeye Division) and Heath, Johnstown, Northridge, Newark Catholic, and Utica (Cardinal Division).

The league is considering expanding their "Big School" (Buckeye) Division. Licking Hts and Watkins Memorial are the most likely duo to remain in the big school division, while Lakewood, Licking Valley, and Graville could all move to the Cardinal Division.

Zanesville is one other school also considering membership in the Licking County League.

The Licking County League explored expansion a year ago with plans that included Logan, Zanesville, Mount Vernon, Big Walnut, and Newark amongst others. That deal fell apart when Mount Vernon moved to the Ohio Heritage Conference.

One correction: Mount Vernon is headed to the Ohio Cardinal Conference.

Also, don't be shocked if Canal Winchester is in the mix. That would add 4 teams to the LCL which would include Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Logan, and Zanesville.

(This is purely my guess.)
14 teams: 6 in big school - Big Walnut, Canal Winchester, Licking Heights, Logan, Watkins Memorial, and Zanesville. Look to add 2 more big schools.
8 in small school - Granville, Heath, Johnstown, Lakewood, Licking Valley, Newark Catholic, Northridge, and Utica.
teach1coach2 wrote:BTW, other teams the LCL pursued last year were Newark, New Albany, and Tri-Valley.
Thanks - my bad on Mt Vernon's league. I knew it was the "other" OCC, haha.

Great point on Canal Winchester. I still don't believe Big Walnut and Logan will be in the same division. I don't think the folks in Sunbury are going to want to make that trip on a regular basis. But we shall see.

The Advocate's report seems to exclude Newark and I think it is safe to guess that Mt Vernon is out. I wonder if New Albany is still in consideration.

zbd
Freshman Team

Post by zbd »

SEOALlives wrote:If the LCL backs out after extending this invite we need to hound them worse than we have the TVC. It is a shame that Jackson can't get in too. Maybe the mayor down there should write a letter to the LCL. That way if Zanesville cowers from the competition Jackson might be their replacement.
Tell me when has Zville ever backed down fro competition

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I like the idea. I said several years ago I thought Logan's future was North, not South. And that includes Logan extended future. Being in the LCL may be a temporary thing as it gets Logan exposure to the Columbus market where other schools and other leagues may entertain a quality program with quality facilities and only an hour away on good roads may make Logan an attractive choice for new or realigning leagues in Central Ohio. And this gets Logan the better competition to move the program to better opportunities.

I approve.

Have gun, will travel
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

zbd,
It was a joke. He is not running on Zanesville, just lamenting that Jackson cannot find a new league when it appears Logan has.

Locos,
I'm not sure that Mt. Vernon is completely out of the picture. Likely they are, but they are not even in the Ohio Cardinal Conference yet and that league has teams looking elsewhere and is investigating adding a few teams and splitting east and west.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I really feel like the MSL is the best league for Logan. Why do they not want them? Maybe bring them and Canal back? I don't see Logan as a long term team for the LCL..maybe for now until they can work something out with the MSL or OCC???

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I would like the MSL too

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

the last i was told the msl is not looking to expand its big school div. it wants to expand the small school div.

AT THE RESERVATION
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Like the MSL as well.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I too would like to see Logan in the MSL.

AT THE RESERVATION
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

To be honest, the MSL wants no part of Logan. Too tough. And, the LCL division is being set-up with D-II or D-I schools , not the smaller schools who also want no part of Lo9gan. Hard to argue that Logan is too tough if you are also D-II or D-I and it makes for a "new" league division. In the mean time. Logan gets better exposure to the Columbus are4a sports markets ande is in better position to move/be invited to another league ( OCC, new MSL, ect.) Future looks better now.

Have gun, will travel
NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

Paladin wrote:To be honest, the MSL wants no part of Logan. Too tough. And, the LCL division is being set-up with D-II or D-I schools , not the smaller schools who also want no part of Lo9gan. Hard to argue that Logan is too tough if you are also D-II or D-I and it makes for a "new" league division. In the mean time. Logan gets better exposure to the Columbus are4a sports markets ande is in better position to move/be invited to another league ( OCC, new MSL, ect.) Future looks better now.
Do you really think Logan scares anyone? What is there to be afraid of?

Return to “Football”