Wheelersburg 12 - 20 Jackson 2022

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Re: WK 5 Jackson (2-2) @ Wheelersburg (3-1)

Post by DcP3407 »

countywide35 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:52 am These communities are tied pretty close together. I know personally there’s only one week I don’t root for Tha Burg. Even to the point I really never cared who won the Ironton/Burg game but now I found myself favoring the pirates in that week 1 matchup.

Larry Halls legacy is etched in stone for Tha Burg and his son Andy Hall is the same way for the Ironmen.

That’s about as good as a storyline you can get. Being Able to say about this high school football game when it comes to history , coaching staffs, community ties and just what kind of programs these two schools have and whos helped build those legacy’s.

The Pirates in 2021 this game changed their season.
After the last second FG to win the game hit the crossbar to secure Jackson’s victory @ home changed the course of the rest of the year for the Pirates. Tha Burg rolled on after that loss and even avenged the week 1 loss deep in the playoffs sending Ironton to it’s off-season winter workouts.

Jackson is prolly one of the best 2-2 teams you are gonna come across and merely a few plays away from being 4-0 Right now. They will continue to get better and That’s what good teams do. They get a little better every week. As long they stay healthy our 2022 Ironmen have just as good as chance as any Jackson team to make a deep run in the playoffs.

I do miss one of the people from Burg that I got to know and have some great conversations about the game over the course of years. This guy was 110% pure Burg in all ways.
Academics. The school. The community. The kids. All sports.
He wasn’t just a burg football fan.

In his favorite phrase MADDOG would say…”strike up the band”

Assuming WSAZ Friday Night Football , GridIron Glory will be there along with numerous other media outlets covering the game. It would be cool to see WSAZs new morning programs on Fridays “Fired Up Fridays” where they do a broadcast of a showcase game with students , cheerleaders, football players etc.
this is the first year WSAZ has done this and seems to be a hit. The program typically begins at 6am and they periodically showcase that section of the news broadcast 3/4X from the
6am-7am hour.

This game will not disappoint to the fans of high school football!
Great Post! and insight on WSAZ. I will have to check it out this week. Thanks!

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

I just wanted to check in & see if this is an important game for Burg, or not?

I just figured when Ironton beat them they said it didn't matter cause they are already in a guaranteed playoff rematch with Ironton that they are gonna win again so it's ok to lose now. I guess a crystal ball was part of the lost treasure on the pirate ship. I guess it probably isn't gonna matter if they lose. If they win it might. But not if they lose cause they already know their future.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:56 pm I just wanted to check in & see if this is an important game for Burg, or not?

I just figured when Ironton beat them they said it didn't matter cause they are already in a guaranteed playoff rematch with Ironton that they are gonna win again so it's ok to lose now. I guess a crystal ball was part of the lost treasure on the pirate ship. I guess it probably isn't gonna matter if they lose. If they win it might. But not if they lose cause they already know their future.
I read it more as…it’s gonna be a battle between two really good teams, and if it doesn’t turn out the way we (fans) want it to, to not get too down on the young men. Because, as we all remember…the ship can be righted and the next game could have a different outcome 😉

Paul Crewe
Waterboy

Post by Paul Crewe »

wobycat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:45 pm Looks like QB and 8 seem to be the gamers on the offensive side of Jackson. Who else does Jackson have that poses a threat? They usually have a giant TE
Brody Butcher has played well at Tight End this year. Gavin Jones has also seen time at TE

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

DcP3407 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:18 pm
countywide35 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:52 am These communities are tied pretty close together. I know personally there’s only one week I don’t root for Tha Burg. Even to the point I really never cared who won the Ironton/Burg game but now I found myself favoring the pirates in that week 1 matchup.

Larry Halls legacy is etched in stone for Tha Burg and his son Andy Hall is the same way for the Ironmen.

That’s about as good as a storyline you can get. Being Able to say about this high school football game when it comes to history , coaching staffs, community ties and just what kind of programs these two schools have and whos helped build those legacy’s.

After the last second FG to win the game hit the crossbar to secure Jackson’s victory @ home changed the course of the rest of the year for the Pirates. Tha Burg rolled on after that loss and even avenged the week 1 loss deep in the playoffs sending Ironton to it’s off-season winter workouts.

Jackson is prolly one of the best 2-2 teams you are gonna come across and merely a few plays away from being 4-0 Right now. They will continue to get better and That’s what good teams do. They get a little better every week. As long they stay healthy our 2022 Ironmen have just as good as chance as any Jackson team to make a deep run in the playoffs.

I do miss one of the people from Burg that I got to know and have some great conversations about the game over the course of years. This guy was 110% pure Burg in all ways.

Assuming WSAZ Friday Night Football , GridIron Glory will be there along with numerous other media outlets covering the game. It would be cool to see WSAZs new morning programs on Fridays “Fired Up Fridays” where they do a broadcast of a showcase game with students , cheerleaders, football players etc.
this is the first year WSAZ has done this and seems to be a hit. The program typically begins at 6am and they periodically showcase that section of the news broadcast 3/4X from the
6am-7am hour.

The WSAZ Fired Up Friday is definitely worth checking out before the work day.
All 4of the first episodes have been held inside the gym of the school. Last weeks version was at Ashland for the Ashland Burg game. I don’t know if they’ll make it again two weeks in a row. Considering the show aired from Ashland; maybe there still is slight chance Tha Burg can host the show considering who’s coming to invade Ed Miller Staduim.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

522Pirate wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:04 pm
THEEE_GAME wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:56 pm I just wanted to check in & see if this is an important game for Burg, or not?

I read it more as…it’s gonna be a battle between two really good teams, and if it doesn’t turn out the way we (fans) want it to, to not get too down on the young men. Because, as we all remember…the ship can be righted and the next game could have a different outcome 😉

As I mentioned a little earlier. This game last year. Changed the season around for the Pirates.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don’t think this will make or break either team with a loss. Both will make the playoffs. Both will get better after playing the game. Burg can win if they can defend the seam routes. Seems like they had trouble with that against mcnicholas. Jackson had some success against Ironton with those routes it looked like. With the QB Jackson has, it makes a hard pass to defend even harder.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

wobycat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:11 pm I don’t think this will make or break either team with a loss. Both will make the playoffs. Both will get better after playing the game. Burg can win if they can defend the seam routes. Seems like they had trouble with that against mcnicholas. Jackson had some success against Ironton with those routes it looked like. With the QB Jackson has, it makes a hard pass to defend even harder.
I think the difference in this game as compared to Ironton is we have been able to and I believe will be able to pressure on the QB with a 3 or 4 man rush our DE's are really good. Ironton was having to blitz to get pressure which opens up the seams even more.

as for if this game is important ... This is the Premier matchup on our schedule every year. Two programs with numerous close ties, history and mutual respect for each other. I can't speak for all fans but I root for Jackson every week but this one and follow them pretty close. Fan bases are respectful to each other for the most part with very little trolling. Can't wait to see if the adjustments we have been making so far payoff. Iron sharpens Iron and these two teams have plenty of it.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Burg wins, jackson had a huge win last week don’t think they’ll follow it up back to back weeks

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

522Pirate wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:04 pm

I agree with 522 on this one. It's all who you are talking about/with....... I'm sure every kid on either team would tell you that this game is extremely important (or at least I would hope they would). Parents view it as important because they want their kids to be successful and happy after a win. Fans want to see a good game, their team compete and be put in the position to win the game . If they do win...awesome.. if they don't,...they are kids, and we hope they respond the next week, because that is what good teams and successful programs do. However, I'm sure there are always irrational fans that think the world is ending and everything needs changed after each loss.... life's too short to deal with those type of people.

My personal take on the whole "games that matter and don't" has changed over the years due to the changes in the playoffs . Teams like Wheelersburg and Jackson do not have many "must win" games outside of their conference schedule because of the expansion of the playoffs. I remember when teams could go 8-2 or even 7-3 and barely sneak into the playoffs (I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but if I remember correctly, Lucasville Valley went 10-0 and almost missed the playoffs one year). The Jackson and Ironton game for Burg would have mattered so much more several years ago due to the 8 team playoff and the advantages of being a #1-#4 seed. Now, those games are important (for seeding and bragging rights) but not nearly as important in trying to make the playoffs and make a deep run, which should be everyone's goal outside of winning their

THEEE_GAME
Varsity

Post by THEEE_GAME »

6am-7am hour.

I think Spring Valley got the nod for this week.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

THEEE_GAME wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:14 pm

6am-7am hour.

I think Spring Valley got the nod for this week.

Sounds about right….that’s a good football program.

Like to see Jackson scrimmage them and Ironton play them too

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Will the game be streamed from Wheelersburg??

If so….could someone post a link?

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:04 pm Will the game be streamed from Wheelersburg??

If so….could someone post a link?
Unfortunately we’ve went the way of pay to watch…

www.burgsportsnetwork.com/watch

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Is it seriously $15 to watch?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:56 pm Is it seriously $15 to watch?
$ 8

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

d-5 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:33 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:56 pm Is it seriously $15 to watch?
$ 8
Ok I was told it was hudl for $15

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Penalties been an early-season problem for Burg, and turnovers for Jackson. If those issues pop up for either team tonight, will probably be the difference in the game. I look for Burg's offense to grind it out and try to keep Jackson's offense on the sidelines. Jackson definitely gonna put some points up though. I'll take Burg at home by a score of 31-26.*

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

NEITHER SQUAD WILL BE Messing around.

Gut check for JAX

Gut check for DaWheel

Playoff longevity measuring stick.

Great scheduling placement by ADS TOO.

May there be No injuries to either so BOTH can March on to RepSeo well DEEP into playoffs!!!

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Ed Miller is filling up rather nicely

Return to “Football”