Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg Football

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

wobycat wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:18 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm
TOUGH wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Have you watched both teams?
I watch the FB stream of the preview. Went and watch Burg v Chillicothe scrimmage.
I watched both teams and I couldn’t tell ya at this point. Burg looked great at the start of chilly scrimmage then bogged down. Ironton looked really good against Gallia Academy but Gallia didn’t show that they had anything while ironton was very aggressive. The biggest thing I see is the depth. Ironton isn’t as deep and I think will play a factor late in the game unless ironton can sustain long drives, which I think will be difficult. I thought burgs defense was pretty strong against chilly
Yea. I totally agree with all that. The defense, surprisingly, is a good unit. I just think if Salyers has time to get through 2 reads (Mathews and Holden) they will be very hard to stop. Then with Donini at TE getting looks. This passing game is going to be nasty. I’m sure they will have other help, but from the speed I saw out of Mathews, they may not need it.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

TOUGH wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 pm

I watch the FB stream of the preview. Went and watch Burg v Chillicothe scrimmage.
I watched both teams and I couldn’t tell ya at this point. Burg looked great at the start of chilly scrimmage then bogged down. Ironton looked really good against Gallia Academy but Gallia didn’t show that they had anything while ironton was very aggressive. The biggest thing I see is the depth. Ironton isn’t as deep and I think will play a factor late in the game unless ironton can sustain long drives, which I think will be difficult. I thought burgs defense was pretty strong against chilly

You think it’s closer than the running clock predictions all the Burg fans have been predicting all off season? Has the gap closed from 48-3 to now it actually being a highly contested game?
I think that depends on Ironton and their pass defense. I hate to sound like a broken record. But if they can’t cover the two biggest playmakers on the field and keep everyone else in check at the same time. It will be trouble. I want to say Burg by 30 but I have a feeling it will be Burg by 15

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Wheelersburg is 36.5 point favorites... Interesting!!!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

TOUGH wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:16 am Wheelersburg is 36.5 point favorites... Interesting!!!
I wouldn’t say that’s impossible.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TOUGH wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 pm

You think it’s closer than the running clock predictions all the Burg fans have been predicting all off season? Has the gap closed from 48-3 to now it actually being a highly contested game?
I think burg will win but it won’t be like the last few meetings. Ironton has a pretty good team just by the eye test. I’m not sure they can pull the upset but you never know. That’s why they play the game.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

wobycat wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:59 am [quote=TOUGH post_id=<a href="tel:1675628">1675628</a> time=<a href="tel:1534214100">1534214100</a> user_id=13571]
[quote=wobycat post_id=<a href="tel:1675625">1675625</a> time=<a href="tel:1534213094">1534213094</a> user_id=123]
[quote="Jolly P(irate)" post_id=<a href="tel:1675624">1675624</a> time=<a href="tel:1534212628">1534212628</a> user_id=10996]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think burg will win but it won’t be like the last few meetings. Ironton has a pretty good team just by the eye test. I’m not sure they can pull the upset but you never know. That’s why they play the game.
[/quote]

I’ve been saying for months this will be a great game. Hard to believe the gap has closed enough that some Wheelersburg fans aren’t so sure what the outcome will be. Back in the winter it was we’re going to score 50 and running clock at start of 2nd half. Amazing how the tide has changed in a very short amount of time. From reading on the Ironton Facebook page I think the coaches and players truly believe they are going to win the game and get back to the old days. I’m not sure this type of mindset has been in the program in a long time. I can’t wait for this one. Should be a great be a great ball game. Wobycat I appreciate your input. I haven’t seen either team yet but heard they both looked good so it looks like the Tigers are on the right path.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Watched the FB stream of Ironton and Gallia. I just don't see this being close in the second half. In the past, Burg shows very little and has not blown me away in their scrimmages and that didn't change this year. They looked really good at time, but also sub par at times and really that par for the course when it comes to burg in scrimmages, and has little to no impact on the team that shows up week 1. Ironton had some bright spots but the reality of the situation is that Gallia was very weak on both sides of the ball, and struggled to even complete a pass most times. I do think Ironton has improved since last year, but honestly i still see this as a 20-30pt game in the end. JMO.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I hope this game is a big surprise to both teams.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
countywide35
SEOP

Re: WK1 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by countywide35 »

clocks tickin down

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:24 am Watched the FB stream of Ironton and Gallia. I just don't see this being close in the second half. In the past, Burg shows very little and has not blown me away in their scrimmages and that didn't change this year. They looked really good at time, but also sub par at times and really that par for the course when it comes to burg in scrimmages, and has little to no impact on the team that shows up week 1. Ironton had some bright spots but the reality of the situation is that Gallia was very weak on both sides of the ball, and struggled to even complete a pass most times. I do think Ironton has improved since last year, but honestly i still see this as a 20-30pt game in the end. JMO.
They couldn’t get a pass off because Ironton was in the backfield so fast! Ironton had sophomores and freshmen in the second half of the game. Gonna be a good game! JMO

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

After watching both Burg and Ironton, my assessment is that Ironton seems improved. Ironton seemed bigger, stronger, and faster. But this was against a weak, undermanned Gallia team that will struggle to get to .500 this season. Yes, Gallia’s only score came from big play but so did most of Ironton’s. I think only one score came from a sustainable drive. Gallia did a descent job of pressuring Ironton QB out of the pocket but they were poor tacklers. Gallia QB must have gotten the job by default. He couldn’t hit hardly any of his throws even on swing passes. Ironton’s linebacker play was nice. Their running backs are strong north/south runners but seem to run a little too upright. Even with Gallia’s tackling, they seemed to go down a little too easy at times. Pendleton has them on the right track and hopefully they can have a successful season except in week 1 of course.
Burg’s offense has the potential to be better than they were last year which is scary. They have several skilled players that can break one at any moment for a score. I predict Horsley and
Mathews are going to have a breakout year like Holden did last year. Defense is going to be really solid as well. Strong, quick kids with great tackling technique and that will put a hit on you if given half a chance. They played a season and a half last year. This combined with all the blow out wins, equals a lot of players getting valuable game reps that you just cannot duplicate in practice. Bottom line, the gap is still wide between the two teams. What the future holds, only time will tell. I’m just excited to get the season started and I know the rest of you are too. I predict Ironton gets overwhelmed by Burg’s depth and final score will be around 38-7 Pirates. Only 10 days until game time. Ed Miller Stadium is going to a rockin. Go Burg!!

footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:24 am Watched the FB stream of Ironton and Gallia. I just don't see this being close in the second half. In the past, Burg shows very little and has not blown me away in their scrimmages and that didn't change this year. They looked really good at time, but also sub par at times and really that par for the course when it comes to burg in scrimmages, and has little to no impact on the team that shows up week 1. Ironton had some bright spots but the reality of the situation is that Gallia was very weak on both sides of the ball, and struggled to even complete a pass most times. I do think Ironton has improved since last year, but honestly i still see this as a 20-30pt game in the end. JMO.
I was at the Burg scrimmage and saying they showed very little in an understatement. Lol. I talked to one of the offensive line coaches after the scrimmage. He informed me that the Burg sat out 4 of their offensive lineman and 3 of their defensive guys that day, He said if it was a game they all would be playing , but thought it best to go into week 1 100%. I also watched Ironton scrimmage and would agree, Gallia looked very small up front. I was told they had 3 or 4 lineman out. I have no idea if that is true or not. It was a random fan that told me that. I also agree with you about 20-30pt game in the end. I'm not sure how anyone could have watched both of these teams last week and think otherwise?

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Both Gallia and Chilli are down from last year but they are still on two different levels. I agree that Gallia will struggle to get to .500 this year, even with a relatively weak schedule. Ironton does look improved overall, but depth is still an issue. No doubt they will come out swinging and fight until the end, I just don't think they have the athletes to match up. They are on the right track and will win the majority of their games this year, but week 1 is not one of them.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm Both Gallia and Chilli are down from last year but they are still on two different levels. I agree that Gallia will struggle to get to .500 this year, even with a relatively weak schedule. Ironton does look improved overall, but depth is still an issue. No doubt they will come out swinging and fight until the end, I just don't think they have the athletes to match up. They are on the right track and will win the majority of their games this year, but week 1 is not one of them.
Gallia was picked to win OVC and returned most of their team. Including the QB. Many had them predicted to finish no worse than 8-2 before the season so I’m not sure where you got your information. I do know that Chillicothe had a senior laden team last year and had to replace majority of the starters on both sides of the ball.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

There is no way that Gallia team sniffs an OVC championship IMO. Just because you're picked to win doesn't mean a thing. I can see 4-5 L's on their schedule if that is the team they field this year.

Matt77
Varsity

Post by Matt77 »

This topic has at time gotten ridiculous and way off topic. Either or Burg is gonna roll and win by about 5 touchdowns.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I can see that Matt. I don't think 35pts is out of the question. Ironton is on the right path, and I think Pendleton will keep them in the right direction but man is that a tough first game for him. I wish him and Ironton luck, except week 1.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

If Ironton keeps it within 21-28 points that’s a victory. Sounds crazy but burg is defending state champs and a few notches above anyone. Ironton has a buzz about them and loved watching the coach yell during preview. If you messed up he pulled you out and let you know what you did wrong. Keeping those kids motivated and focused if it’s gets out of hand will be the tough part. It’s one game. If Ironton can keep there head up and keep the buzz after week one they will be fine. That q.b is amazing. The offense and defense is very fast. Coach is doing somethInfo right but I don’t see them beating burg.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ain't it awesome to be 10 days away from this game.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

What are the chances Burg take a shot deep to Holden on the first or second play? Maybe a little attempt at deja vu from last year?

Return to “Football”