Wheelersburg 2023

SiderBlood
All Conference

Re: Wheelersburg 2023

Post by SiderBlood »

KCol wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:20 am
RBH23 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:31 pm
KCol wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:12 pm Anyway, Wheelersburg will have a very formidable unit this year and I expect Ironton to be right in the thick of it despite the graduation losses. D-V, R19 title is up for grabs, there really isn't a clear favorite. To me, biggest difference in who wins the region will be quarterback play and how it maturates throughout the year. Both teams have enough proven talent both ways or talent coming in at the positions that need to be filled to hold serve.

Wheelersburg has the potential to have a roster that is similar to their 2013 team and their 2016 through 2018 teams in terms of their personnel -- a great quarterback with a lot of throwing options (sophomores in Kenyon Evans, Landon McGraw and Logan Adkins plus the addition of Devon Lattimore from Portsmouth) and a running back-by-committee approach. Defensively, Landon Hutchinson is pound for pound one of the best returning defensive players in the entire area. He can play at linebacker or safety and was really a difference-maker throughout last year. Brayden Maxie has a great frame to build off of.

Will the squad be as good as those teams? Hard to say, but the sophomore class is loaded with talent.

Ironton is full of talent -- Shaun Terry is so fun to watch in the open field, Braden Schreck is a great possession receiver, and Zayne Williams is coming off of a tremendous freshman season where I believe he made over 100 tackles. Gavin Hart (Notre Dame) and Landon Lewis (Green) were excellent transfer pickups in the offseason that will help. Plus, Ironton has Pittman eligible out wide with Terry, a lineman who is committed to Eastern Michigan in Noah Patterson, and an outstanding freshman class that could make an impact by playoff time if not before. Brayden Sturgell, to me, has an instinctive nose for the football defensively and will also have a big impact on any outcome.

Whoever wins one (or potentially both) matchups will have to earn it. There's definitely no little sis in the argument. Both teams have the personnel to run it down your throat or sling it around. I do know for a fact that as with any season there are a lot of unknowns and that could be said for both programs. The ongoing banter is tiring to read so I figured I'd summarize it. The kids at both schools have put in a lot of work. Just tired of seeing the stuff on here, from one user in particular, and ready to watch the action on the field.
Who else do you think will make some noise in R19? How will Prep be this year?
Harvest Prep in my eyes will be the biggest threat to them both again. They have an absolutely loaded schedule, possibly the best in school history.

In addition to playing Division II Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (8-4 in 2022, lost to OHSAA Division II State Runner-Up Hoban in regional semis), Division II Licking Heights, Division III Bloom-Carroll and Division III Chillicothe as well as Burg.

Lastly, they will travel to play Center Grove out of Greenwood, Ind., who went 12-2 and won the Indiana High School Athletic Association's Class 6A State Championship. Center Grove played a murderer's row of teams that included Indiana powerhouses such as Indianapolis Warren Central (beat them twice), Indianapolis Ben Davis (whom they beat by a point), Columbus (Ind.) North, and Indianapolis Cathedral as well as Louisville (Ky.) Trinity. They lost to Trinity by one point in double overtime and avenged the other regional season loss they had to Cathedral by defeating them 33-10 in the state semis. Warren Central, Trinity, Ben Davis and Cathedral have been or are regularly teams that are in contention to be nationally ranked. Center Grove has a 6-5 quarterback that is committed to play football at Duke.

However, Ironton made Harvest Prep look absolutely terrible in the regional finals. They absolutely waxed the Warriors in what was their most complete and best performance of the year (and I saw Ironton play five times last year including the state semi against Valley View). I think the lopsided score was a combination of Ironton playing their best game of the year and HP playing their worst game of the year, but Ironton still would've beat them at any rate. At the same time, Harvest Prep's schedule last year was nowhere near the caliber that this schedule will be. They will have to be ready or they will underachieve.

Rogers is gone but Cox will be back and if he makes the usual junior-to-senior year jump that most elite running backs do, he will be a handful.

Sleeper picks would be New Lexington, Columbus Academy, West. Barnesville, Centerburg and Worthington Christian are essentially interchangeable after them I think. Minford and Portsmouth could jump into that top-eight or higher if young guys step up. Minford (and Waverly) will have arguably the most proven running backs in the SOC II, and Minford has a chance to take further steps if Caudill and Kayser take the next step up. Replacing school-leading tackler Hunter Pendleton will be tough though. West and Minford have good linemen too, but I worry if they have enough of them. They were both hovering around 40 players total last year and that is a worry. The teams that advance deepest in the playoffs are the ones that have not only the best line play, but the deepest lines as well in terms of a two-deep.

It may be even tougher for Portsmouth to do so, but if they get the QB situation figured out quick they could surprise people. They do lost a senior captain on the offensive and defensive line in addition to Tyler Duncan who had a great senior year at the signal-calling spot.

For all of the guys commenting about how Wheelersburg's state title in 2017 wasn't really earned, I can assure you that you are wrong. To come from behind in three out of the five playoff games takes serious guts. They were for real -- and the best part about their team in 2017 was their offensive and defensive line play because they legitimately had 12-15 guys who could play on the line that year. That's what it takes to win big in the playoffs.
Thank you for a good football analysis and discussion. It’s refreshing to actually read insightful thoughts. I use to really enjoy reading about teams as the summer started to close in on football season and get excited. Just about have became tired of getting on here to read crap. I agree with everything you have said.
Last edited by SiderBlood on Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

SiderBlood wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:08 pm

Harvest Prep in my eyes will be the biggest threat to them both again. They have an absolutely loaded schedule, possibly the best in school history.

In addition to playing Division II Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (8-4 in 2022, lost to OHSAA Division II State Runner-Up Hoban in regional semis), Division II Licking Heights, Division III Bloom-Carroll and Division III Chillicothe as well as Burg.

Lastly, they will travel to play Center Grove out of Greenwood, Ind., who went 12-2 and won the Indiana High School Athletic Association's Class 6A State Championship. Center Grove played a murderer's row of teams that included Indiana powerhouses such as Indianapolis Warren Central (beat them twice), Indianapolis Ben Davis (whom they beat by a point), Columbus (Ind.) North, and Indianapolis Cathedral as well as Louisville (Ky.) Trinity. They lost to Trinity by one point in double overtime and avenged the other regional season loss they had to Cathedral by defeating them 33-10 in the state semis. Warren Central, Trinity, Ben Davis and Cathedral have been or are regularly teams that are in contention to be nationally ranked. Center Grove has a 6-5 quarterback that is committed to play football at Duke.

However, Ironton made Harvest Prep look absolutely terrible in the regional finals. They absolutely waxed the Warriors in what was their most complete and best performance of the year (and I saw Ironton play five times last year including the state semi against Valley View). I think the lopsided score was a combination of Ironton playing their best game of the year and HP playing their worst game of the year, but Ironton still would've beat them at any rate. At the same time, Harvest Prep's schedule last year was nowhere near the caliber that this schedule will be. They will have to be ready or they will underachieve.

Rogers is gone but Cox will be back and if he makes the usual junior-to-senior year jump that most elite running backs do, he will be a handful.

Sleeper picks would be New Lexington, Columbus Academy, West. Barnesville, Centerburg and Worthington Christian are essentially interchangeable after them I think. Minford and Portsmouth could jump into that top-eight or higher if young guys step up. Minford (and Waverly) will have arguably the most proven running backs in the SOC II, and Minford has a chance to take further steps if Caudill and Kayser take the next step up. Replacing school-leading tackler Hunter Pendleton will be tough though. West and Minford have good linemen too, but I worry if they have enough of them. They were both hovering around 40 players total last year and that is a worry. The teams that advance deepest in the playoffs are the ones that have not only the best line play, but the deepest lines as well in terms of a two-deep.

It may be even tougher for Portsmouth to do so, but if they get the QB situation figured out quick they could surprise people. They do lost a senior captain on the offensive and defensive line in addition to Tyler Duncan who had a great senior year at the signal-calling spot.

For all of the guys commenting about how Wheelersburg's state title in 2017 wasn't really earned, I can assure you that you are wrong. To come from behind in three out of the five playoff games takes serious guts. They were for real -- and the best part about their team in 2017 was their offensive and defensive line play because they legitimately had 12-15 guys who could play on the line that year. That's what it takes to win big in the playoffs.
Thank you for a good football analysis and discussion. It’s refreshing to actually read insightful thoughts. I use to really enjoy reading about teams as the summer started to close in on football season and get excited. Just about have became tired of getting in here to read crap. I agree with everything you have said
Agree 💯👍 season right around the corner. I feel there are handful of teams in this area that are going to make some noise this year. Plenty of good solid matchups this year from week 1 to week 10.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:08 am
RBH23 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:30 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:16 pm

😂 you tried it. Lol. Cool narrative. I'm over here rollin, boss.

#1 I'm laughing at lil burgs seops fanbase. 👉 The "lil sissies."
#2 You made accusations and offered no evidence. You offered "xyx said." - Then get xyz to come say it then or it's not valid. 💯
#3. We goose egged lil burg in THEIR building, then beat everybody else who beat lil burg.
4. lil burg has been the BEST team in their region ONLY 3 times in TWO & A HALF DECADES!!
5. It took lil burg their entire existence as a program to collect the same amount of state titles Irontons program collected in 10 years.
6. Irontons current staff has played in as many state title games in 5 years as lil burg has been the best team in their region in two and a half decades!! 😂👈

I don't wanna hear ish from #lilsis 👩‍👦... 🤫 #Ssshhhh
So in other words, you cannot disprove any of the accusations that I posted. Got it!

As for your list, I can summarize that with far fewer words: “Burg last state title 6 years ago, Ironton’s last state title 34 years ago.” The rest is just BS in an attempt to make you feel better about IHS‘s 34 year drought.
You don't have to prove negatives. Your accusations evidence is "believe me, bro." 😂

#lilsis
Prove negatives? I gave specifics, but those make you feel bad about your program that continues to underachieve, so you ignore them.

But hey, keep spewing your BS if it makes you feel better about the 34 year drought. You gotta have something to hold onto.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

TomUnessa wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:31 pm

Thank you for a good football analysis and discussion. It’s refreshing to actually read insightful thoughts. I use to really enjoy reading about teams as the summer started to close in on football season and get excited. Just about have became tired of getting in here to read crap. I agree with everything you have said
Agree 💯👍 season right around the corner. I feel there are handful of teams in this area that are going to make some noise this year. Plenty of good solid matchups this year from week 1 to week 10.
I’m shocked that Harvest Prep would schedule Center Grove! They are a huge school as mentioned above. My nephew and niece graduated from there and they had like 600 kids in their senior class alone!

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:35 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:30 pm

So in other words, you cannot disprove any of the accusations that I posted. Got it!

As for your list, I can summarize that with far fewer words: “Burg last state title 6 years ago, Ironton’s last state title 34 years ago.” The rest is just BS in an attempt to make you feel better about IHS‘s 34 year drought.
You don't have to prove negatives. Your accusations evidence is "believe me, bro." 😂

#lilsis
Prove negatives? I gave specifics, but those make you feel bad about your program that continues to underachieve, so you ignore them.

But hey, keep spewing your BS if it makes you feel better about the 34 year drought. You gotta have something to hold onto.
Yes, prove negatives.

You make REPEATED allegations of recruiting and misconduct regarding Ironton - and your source is "xyz said, believe me bro." 👈🤡🤡🤡🤡

Clown!

lil burg has been the best team in their region only THREE TIMES in TWO AND A HALF DECADES!! 👈😂😂

#lilsis💅
Last edited by BTWNTHE__ on Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

:geek:
Oldtimer55 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:47 pm

I’m shocked that Harvest Prep would schedule Center Grove! They are a huge school as mentioned above. My nephew and niece graduated from there and they had like 600 kids in their senior class alone!
They’ve probably recruited heavily in the Columbus area. Hartley has went down so it appears the kids are heading to prep.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

On THIS THREAD we refer to HARVEST PREP as lil burgs DADDY. 😂

#lilsis💅

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Harvest Prep seems to have a tough time scheduling teams. Beggars can’t be choosers. This one will get ugly.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Thank you for a good football analysis and discussion. It’s refreshing to actually read insightful thoughts. I use to really enjoy reading about teams as the summer started to close in on football season and get excited. Just about have became tired of getting on here to read crap. I agree with everything you have said.
Burg fans make constant and PERPETUAL unsupported allegations of recruiting misconduct about Ironton in Ironton thread - NOBODY has "grown tired of reading bs" but go to lil baby burgs thread and REMIND the program that has fans that bump gums more than their program wins games that lil burg has ONLY been the best team in their region 3 times in the last TWO AND A HALF DECADES and the belly aches and Hallmark paragraphs begin! lmao 🤡🤡👈😂😂😂

Yesterday, today, tomorrow, burg is #lilsis💅

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:55 pm

Harvest Prep seems to have a tough time scheduling teams. Beggars can’t be choosers. This one will get ugly.
Prep has a doormat to wipe their feet on in scioto county.

#lilsis💅

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:49 pm

#lilsis

Yes, prove negatives.

You make REPEATED allegations of recruiting and misconduct regarding Ironton - and your source is "xyz said, believe me bro." 👈🤡🤡🤡🤡

Clown!

lil burg has been the best team in their region only THREE TIMES in TWO AND A HALF DECADES!! 👈😂😂

#lilsis💅
As I said, don’t believe me. I’ve stated on here what certain parents have said, however, you can easily verify for yourself if you want the truth. Just ask them!

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:58 pm

Yes, prove negatives.

Clown!

#lilsis💅
As I said, don’t believe me. I’ve stated on here what certain parents have said, however, you can easily verify for yourself if you want the truth. Just ask them!
"He said, she said, believe me bro." 👈🤡🤡😂😂

#lilsis💅

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:55 pm

Burg fans make constant and PERPETUAL unsupported allegations of recruiting misconduct about Ironton in Ironton thread - NOBODY has "grown tired of reading bs" but go to lil baby burgs thread and REMIND the program that has fans that bump gums more than their program wins games that lil burg has ONLY been the best team in their region 3 times in the last TWO AND A HALF DECADES and the belly aches and Hallmark paragraphs begin! lmao 🤡🤡👈😂😂😂

You can have all of those regional titles. Enjoy.

I’ll take the 2017 state championship everyday of the week over all of IHS’s recent regional titles.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:59 pm

Yes, prove negatives.

Clown!

#lilsis💅

#lilsis💅
Can’t handle finding out the truth? I get it. If I were an IHS fan I would want to remain clueless as well. Bad enough not having won a title since 1989, but also finding out that you have failed while also recruiting? That would really suck!

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I’ll take the 2017 state championship everyday of the week over all of IHS’s recent regional titles.
"Yesterdaaaay...there was soooo many thiiiingsss i was never showed" 🎵🎵 👈🤡😂😂

#lilsis💅

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:02 pm

#lilsis💅
Can’t handle finding out the truth? I get it. If I were an IHS fan I would want to remain clueless as well. Bad enough not having won a title since 1989, but also finding out that you have failed while also recruiting? That would really suck!
Your evidence must be hiding in the same place lil burgs "superior culture" was hiding last season. 😂

#lilsis💅

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

lil burg is basically Fairland in Ironton colors 😂

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:04 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:01 pm

"Yesterdaaaay...there was soooo many thiiiingsss i was never showed" 🎵🎵 👈🤡😂😂

#lilsis💅
If 2017 is so yesterday, what does that make 1989?

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Is the Burg-Prep game at Burg this year or At Prep?

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:06 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:02 pm

#lilsis💅
Your evidence must be hiding in the same place lil burgs "superior culture" was hiding last season. 😂

#lilsis💅
You are a kool-aid drinker, no amount of evidence could ever convince you. Many of us know it’s happening and don’t care if you believe it or not.

And as I’ve said many times, Pendleton is smart to do so. He knows he can’t win just on developing kids through the Ironton system. Needs help from other programs to make his even moderately successful. Hence why every year IHS team has a new batch of “transfers” to make up for the developmental failures within their own program. And that is fact!

Return to “Football”