wheelersburg 2008

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

bushmaster24 wrote:hilltop i wonder the schools u stated, amanda c c magadora,marionlocal, all have adopted the pre 1 st and pre 7th and 8th or if u want to hold back a starting line up u can system? :?:

What are you trying to say.... :lol:

Never Give Up!
bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

i work alot up north, very good friends with parents of ex players it is often brought in conversation about the differnce in age of some plaryers. just courious ;-)

Old School 2
Waterboy

Post by Old School 2 »

Does anyone know if Wheelersburg plays Johnson Central in 2008?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

No, they do not play Johnson Central. That was a one and done deal.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

If your over the age limit that the OHSAA sets you don't play, if your under you play. Thats how I look at it. If you want to argue it gives you an advantage I totally agree but so does lifting weights. Regardless to what most think the majority of the kids that are held back has nothing to do with sports. 15 out of the 24 kids in my daughters age group that were in pre first were girls. My daughter physically and mentally was fine and she skipped prefirst and went on to first. I will admit though that if it weren't for her mom's objections I would have held her back because my feelings are that there was no way it could have hurt her, it could have only helped her. When I say help her I am not talking about athletics. The way my younger childs birthdate falls she will be very young for her class and there is a good chance we will either start her a year later or go the preK pre1st route.

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

i don't disagree with it . my son grad. 2yrs ago at 17 half .when he hit 18 15lbs and 3 inches taller. then he could have made the standers at 19 to play 23lbs more but stayed around 6 ft but also had 3.5 gpa so what do u do .. all well thats the way it goes .

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

what order is the schedule for 08. i have seen where minford is week 7

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

I am glad the topic of being held back or starting in pre first has been brought up. Many people will disagree with me on this topic, but I personally believe that it is up to the child and his or her parents. It is not against the law to do either of the above. However, school administration can stop the process. Most of the time school administrators do not stop the process and I do not blame them. Again, it is a choice that each student and their parents have and most of the time it makes sense!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

School administrators definetly aren't going to stop because if they can get and extra year out of a kid, they are going to be all for that. More money in the school's pocket for that child.

I don't have a problem with a child being held back at that age, especially if they need it. If anyone were to tell me that a kid was being held back at that young age because of sports, I'd say they were crazy. There is no way to know if your child is going to be an athlete at that age, so to hold him or her back for that reason is just nuts.

Now, if a child is being held back, say in Junior high for sports reasons, then yes, I have a big problem with that and I personally don't think that kid, girl or boy should be allowed to play

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

Administration can prevent a kid from being held back. Ask the Whitley kid @ wburg. As far as a child being held back in jr high for sports.... who cares! It will not hurt a child, it could only help them.
My thought is that if it does not concerne me then let them do what they think is best for them.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Big rule change in KY this year is affecting many high schoolers that repeated 7th or 8th grade. I've been told they will be losing a year of eligibility if they repeated jr high for reasons other than failing to pass. I personally know of one case where a young man is ineliglble this his senior year due to repeating 8th grade due to a sports injury. Seems odd that the KHSAA would make it retroactive since the parents decision was made 4-5 years ago based on the rule at that time. Just some food for thought.

I'll say it again. Each individual case is unique and a single rule applied here would hurt more than help. The majority of the hold backs are not for sports reasons. Some early grade hold backs are for academic reasons. Some of the later holdbacks in jr high are usually for social and/or academic reasons. We only here about it through sports because it is more visible to the communities.
Last edited by BULDOG on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

yabadabadoo, I disagree with not knowing whether a child will be an athlete at that age or not. My son is 4, I played sports, my brother also, my father was an athlete, I have cousins and uncles that are athletes as well, so the odds are he will be an athlete too. Also he can dribble the bball with both hands, can hit a ball thrown underhand to him with a bat and can throw a football and baseball. He can throw a football in the air and kick it like a punt already. So I dont buy the idea that a parent doesnt know their child might be athletic. Will my son turn into a superstar, highly unlikely, but he will be athletic. IMO

Now back to football, I talked to coach Gullion at Piketon the other day and he informed me that Piketon will be scrimmaging Wheelersburg this fall. Interesting.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Wheelersburg's schedule should lighten up a bit this season. There is no St Clairsville and no Johnson Central. I think these have been replaced by Rock Hill and Greenup County.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

A very easy schedule and Shankweiller will equal a great year for the Pirates. That kid will shine.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

eagles73 wrote:yabadabadoo, I disagree with not knowing whether a child will be an athlete at that age or not. My son is 4, I played sports, my brother also, my father was an athlete, I have cousins and uncles that are athletes as well, so the odds are he will be an athlete too. Also he can dribble the bball with both hands, can hit a ball thrown underhand to him with a bat and can throw a football and baseball. He can throw a football in the air and kick it like a punt already. So I dont buy the idea that a parent doesnt know their child might be athletic. Will my son turn into a superstar, highly unlikely, but he will be athletic. IMO

Now back to football, I talked to coach Gullion at Piketon the other day and he informed me that Piketon will be scrimmaging Wheelersburg this fall. Interesting.

Yeah and that's one kid out of how many? There still is no guarantee that he is going to be an athlete, unless of course you make him play a sport, which in my eyes, is a travesty, especially if he doesn't want to play. What if he wants to play in the band or sing in the chorus instead of playing sports? Is he going to be able to choose himself, when he gets old enough.

I saw stuff similar to that with my step-son. He didn't really want to play football, but his dad kept paying for him to go to the camps and in reality, he didn't want to be there. His dad finally got over that stage and left the boy alone about sports. Did he turn out okay, hell yeah he did. He is now in college and would have been no better off if he would have played football.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

You take my post as being an over zealous parent pushing my kid into sports just from that post. Wow, Dr Phil move over! lol I also read about a book a week, enjoy attending the school musicals and also Shawnee State productions at the Verne Riffe center. I guess he will grow up loving to read, enjoying music as well. Heaven forbid that.

I am nothing of the sort, I was just responding to you saying you cant tell if a kid will grow up to be an athlete at an early age and I disagreed! :lol:

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it usually is a duck. So I dont buy the blanket statement of no you cant tell. He comes to me wanting to play ball, not the other way around.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Just to add, Wheelersburg is blessed with a high socioeconomic status that many in SE ohio do not have. Everybody knows that they have produced many skilled athletes that have went on to higher levels as well. Giving them another year to develop is a great thing. They receive another year of education, gain maturity physically, emotionally and mentally. I am not knocking them for it, but rather applaud it. I want my children to have the same oppurtunity. They are not breaking rules. They have the ability to do it and they do.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Lets hope he is a better athlete than you.lol
He could probably play for us right now.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

eagles73 wrote:You take my post as being an over zealous parent pushing my kid into sports just from that post. Wow, Dr Phil move over! lol I also read about a book a week, enjoy attending the school musicals and also Shawnee State productions at the Verne Riffe center. I guess he will grow up loving to read, enjoying music as well. Heaven forbid that.

I am nothing of the sort, I was just responding to you saying you cant tell if a kid will grow up to be an athlete at an early age and I disagreed! :lol:

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it usually is a duck. So I dont buy the blanket statement of no you cant tell. He comes to me wanting to play ball, not the other way around.

.........and you took my post why out of context. I never said you were an overzealous parent, you did. I was merely stating that I HOPE you are not one of those kinds of parents, because these days you see that more and more and in some cases it is sad to watch a parent scream and berate a child in front of his friends and everybody. What is that going to get out of the child? It is going to get a child that will soon hate to go to practice or to the game because he knows if he doesn't live up to dads standards he is going to get yelled at.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I still stand by the fact that you can know when a kid will be an athlete at an early age. Look at the kids playing now, how many have parents that played sports at the Burg? Probably many of them. Why do you feel guilty about having this program of a pre first? Piketon has an early 5 program. I havent heard one parent say they have used it to gain an advantage for sports.

Return to “Football”