Ironton leaving the SEOAL

theassassin
All State

Re: Ironton leaving the SEOAL

Post by theassassin »

the ovc should look into inviting ironton and gallia academy. this would add to solid programs in fb and boys basketball. also solid in minor sports such as baseball, track and golf. girls programs would be strong also.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

theassassin wrote:the ovc should look into inviting ironton and gallia academy. this would add to solid programs in fb and boys basketball. also solid in minor sports such as baseball, track and golf. girls programs would be strong also.

I agree with that one.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Ironton is more likely to get into the SOC than the OVC.

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

tigercannon71 wrote:So it wasnt in the Tribune today and I didnt see it in the Herald Dispatch either. I know the Tribune isnt big on printing news, but it does a great job covering Ironton football so something this big would be front page news. So where is the proof we are gone?

You are correct it was not in either paper. But if you had gone to the board meeting Tuesday evening or to the Tiger Clan meeting last night, you would have your proof. Last night the AD gave a report and told the group that they were leaving. There were also 2 school board members in attendance as well at the Tiger Clan meeting. I guess if someone else had posted this you might not be asking for the proof TigerCannon. :roll: :roll:

Also Ironton leaving the league is not front page news.

Call the AD today at the school. His office is in the Conley Center. I am sure he would be glad to tell you it is true.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

tigercannon71 wrote:Ironton is more likely to get into the SOC than the OVC.

If the SOC won't take Portsmouth what makes you think they would take Ironton?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Rhiannon wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:So it wasnt in the Tribune today and I didnt see it in the Herald Dispatch either. I know the Tribune isnt big on printing news, but it does a great job covering Ironton football so something this big would be front page news. So where is the proof we are gone?

You are correct it was not in either paper. But if you had gone to the board meeting Tuesday evening or to the Tiger Clan meeting last night, you would have your proof. Last night the AD gave a report and told the group that they were leaving. There were also 2 school board members in attendance as well at the Tiger Clan meeting. I guess if someone else had posted this you might not be asking for the proof TigerCannon. :roll: :roll:

Call the AD today at the school. His office is in the Conley Center. I am sure he would be glad to tell you it is true.

Thanks for the information.

Earlier I posted what was the plan moving forward and why was this plan not presented to the public or was there a plan presented to the School Board and the Tiger Clan?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

For some reason I see Ironton staying as an independent.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Rhiannon wrote:

Im just saying news like this would be reported on by the Tribune. I know they miss a lot of things, but reporting on Ironton football is one thing they do report well on. I dont care who reported it first on here this has been a rumor since we joined the league. So yeah yoru going to question it no matter who broke the news.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Raiderball wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:Ironton is more likely to get into the SOC than the OVC.

If the SOC won't take Portsmouth what makes you think they would take Ironton?

Im trying to show what chances that Ironton has in joining the OVC. Maybe I should have said there is a better chance of the pigs flying than Ironton going to the OVC.

tigergrad95
Waterboy

Post by tigergrad95 »

I would like to see a new league formed with a few teams in the league and few weeks open fo scheduling. Gallipolis, Ironton, Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, Portsmouth West, Waverly, and Chillicothe. That gives you six league games and four non-league. Also the opprotunity if you wanted to schedule a bye week and have a nine game season with the way playoff points are calculated a bye week really don't hurt since they drop your divisor. In my opinion Wheelersburg or West has nothing to prove in the SOC. Portsmouth is having a hard time in the league like Ironton. Chilly with their dropping enrollment and Waverly right along the same route. Two hour to two hours and fifteen minutes from One end of the league to the other. Just makes since to me. Ironton to feel their voids would have Ashland, Russell, Belfry (always a good game and crowd), maybe even Johnson Central or Ohio teams Rock Hill, Coal Grove, South Point or WV teams Spring Valley, Wayne, Huntington High or many numerous teams. Just looks like a great opprotunity to get a lot a rivalry games and a lot of schools the same size and everyone would have a chance to win the league becasue to me it looks like a what would be a balanced league from top to bottom with no dropoffs

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Always said that if they didn't/couldn't win the SEOAL they would bolt. 0 for 3 and probably 0 for 5 so see ya.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

tigergrad95 wrote:I would like to see a new league formed with a few teams in the league and few weeks open fo scheduling. Gallipolis, Ironton, Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, Portsmouth West, Waverly, and Chillicothe. That gives you six league games and four non-league. Also the opprotunity if you wanted to schedule a bye week and have a nine game season with the way playoff points are calculated a bye week really don't hurt since they drop your divisor. In my opinion Wheelersburg or West has nothing to prove in the SOC. Portsmouth is having a hard time in the league like Ironton. Chilly with their dropping enrollment and Waverly right along the same route. Two hour to two hours and fifteen minutes from One end of the league to the other. Just makes since to me. Ironton to feel their voids would have Ashland, Russell, Belfry (always a good game and crowd), maybe even Johnson Central or Ohio teams Rock Hill, Coal Grove, South Point or WV teams Spring Valley, Wayne, Huntington High or many numerous teams. Just looks like a great opprotunity to get a lot a rivalry games and a lot of schools the same size and everyone would have a chance to win the league becasue to me it looks like a what would be a balanced league from top to bottom with no dropoffs

tigergrad95,

I totally agree. I believe many have already pointed such a league out on here, calling it the SEOAC with the 5 SEOAL South Division Teams and the three top tier SOC II Teams. You are right. Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg and Waverly have nothing to prove and could hang in such a league. The 4 SEOAL South Division Teams would be an excellent addition to rounding the new league out. 7 teams, 6 league games.

One might claim that Jackson should be a part of that mix to. Many at Jackson would be very disappointed being left out of such a league. But look at the past 3 years in the SEOAL and their non-league results.

Jackson verses Gallia 1-2, they are 1-2 verses Chillicothe, they are 1-2 verses Waverly, 0-3 verses Ironton and 1-2 verses Portsmouth. So I understand why you might have left them out. I would at least think about Jackson though. They are in that triangle of travel. That would make it an 8 team league with 3 non-league games. Look at the rivals and the big games to be played:

Chillicothe-Portsmouth
Waverly-Jackson
Gallipolis-Jackson
Ironton-Wheelersburg
Ironton-Portsmouth
Portsmouth-Portsmouth-West
Chillicothe-Ironton
Gallipolis-Ironton
Waverly-Wheelersburg
Portsmouth-West-Waverly
Chillicothe-Jackson
Chillicothe-Waverly

To include in this new league, the total sports package, these 7 or 8 teams listed above have. For the most part, they have great basketball, track and baseball programs to! It would give Chillicothe a chance to play the likes of Hillsboro, Circleville, Logan Elm and Greenfield McClain in non-league play. 4 close teams with great fan bases. And former rivals. Except Logan Elm, but I don't know after this years playoff game. :-D

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

From the outside looking in, I think Ironton (and Portsmouth for that matter) are a natural fit for the SOC. I'm not sure what teams in the past voted for or against Ironton and Portsmouth, but I would think that Wheelersburg and West would welcome these teams because they already play them anyways.

I don't think the other SOC teams should worry about Ironton or Portsmouth taking a league title away from them, as the SOC is pretty much dominated by Wheelersburg and when the Pirates don't win the SOC, odds are pretty good that West is going to be the league champion. So if anyone should be afraid to play Ironton and Portsmouth, you would think it would be the teams with the most to lose - Wheelersburg and West. Yet, these two teams play Ironton and Portsmouth consistantly.

So I'm guessing the problem here lies with the other teams of the SOC?

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

If that is the case that the other schools are against it then they haven't thought of the idea of having 3 divisions. I can't think of a more even 3 divisions in the state than the proposal I put in: Port.,West, Ironton, Burg, Waverly! What a great fight for a title. Valley, Minford, Oak Hill, Northwest, Piketon. Another great middle div. fight for a title. Then Green, ND, East, S.Gallia, Symmes Valley. 5 very even teams.
All you have to do is break it up. The key is being able to have the flexibility of scheduling up or down.
If Ironton did this, their schedule could look like this;
Ashland
Jackson
Gallia
Chilicothe
South Point
N. York, or Fairland, or Raceland, or Minford, or Valley, or Coal Grove, or Logan, or Russell, or anybody else for wk. 6
Burg
West
Waverly
Portsmouth as your last 4 would be conference games.
This SOC would be amazing! The only people that wouldn't be for this is people that think they remember a time long ago where a "city" school creates problems that a rural school doesn't (personality, attitudes, gettin' your butt kicked 60-0, conflicts with city folks, bars in the area :roll: :roll: etc...) You know what, GIVE ME A BREAK!!! People need to move on from stupid crap like this. All these problems are either a cop out by Rural schools or they don't recognize that virtually every one of these problems already exist in their area. How can anyone justify making Ironton travel 2 or 3 hours to a game? How can anyone justify Portsmouth traveling to Zanesville? Or the ridiculous schedule Notre Dame and East play? This has to happen. Please somebody in the SOC read this and just do it. Get over the petty crap and make it happen. All sports and all schools would benefit. Most of the sports would be very competitive. I know I'm a Valley fan and we play Ironton and Portsmouth in baseball often if not every year. It's no big deal people.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

It's sad those few who are afraid of competition are the very same ones that get beat when the have to actually play someone. I say let Portsmouth and Ironton in the SOC II. Then maybe those few who are holding back will gain respect and play better, eventually being able to play stronger teams due to letting the Fighting Tigers and Trojans in the SOC II.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I don't think it is the competition. When speaking to coaches, fans etc. they feel that Ironton has looked down on the SOC for years and why should they help them now.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

OSU 77 wrote:I don't think it is the competition. When speaking to coaches, fans etc. they feel that Ironton has looked down on the SOC for years and why should they help them now.

OSU 77,

That's just plain childish. That's what they might be saying and, may even be holding a grudge against Ironton for their past accomplishments and attitude, but what's really behind all that bluff of smoke and screen excuses is just plain old being scared to let either school in their precious SOC II Conference. Why? Because, other than Wheelersburg and Portsmouth West, those other schools are afraid to play Ironton and Portsmouth in Football on a yearly basis. If it wasn't true, then why don't they step up and make people take notice that they are playing against the two schools with a football reputation. Waverly has played Ironton, I think in a series after leaving the SEOAL in 1983 and I believe Portsmouth in a few series, but nothing on a yearly basis like the Burg and West playing Portsmouth and the Burg playing Ironton every year.

Wonder why D5 Burg always wins the SOC II and why D5 West is getting better, and D4 Waverly is losing ground?

Maybe if Minford, Valley, Northwest and Waverly stepped up and said lets get these two in the SOC II, there might be some better teams in the long run for their conference. And if Northwest and Valley can't vote yes, let them go to the SOC I. The whole SOC voting amazes me to. You have SOC I schools voting that don't even play football. I would have only the SOC II schools voting, especially for anyone requesting to come into the SOC II. Maybe one day those two will get in the SOC II on the River.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The thing people seem to forget is that all sports participate in conference play. Having an SOC with 3 divisions could lead to numerous possibilities in the sports other than football. If these schools could stop focusing only on how it would affect football, it could come together.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I don't know for sure who would vote for or against, but there would be no reason for a Valley, Northwest, or East to care whether Ptown and Ironton were in or not. As far as football goes (under my plan), the only one it would really affect would be Waverly. They're the only one that doesn't play one or the other. Valley, Minford, NW wouldn't have to play them. Wouldn't it be great for a NW to get Waverly, Burg, and West off their schedule? Can you imagine the kids at NW having a chance in virtually every game they play. A 7-3 record would go a long way at a place like that. That's 15 teams with a level playing field. Makes too much sense I guess :122248 :roll: All the other sports, I think you could actually keep it 2 divisions but even if you made it 3, all 15 teams would benefit. What a scene it would be to have SOC track meets BACK TO BACK TO BACK on 3 days in the spring. Crown 3 champions at all the SOC banquets. More exposure for all the schools. Round robbin BB all star games at the end of the season. Portsmouth with their new school would make a great host. This wouldn't be that hard. You would only have to change a few teams schedules. And not even that much of that. And that stuff about Ironton looking down on the SOC? That's what people say just to throw up smoke screens as to why to not do it. This really burns my butt :evil:

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

pmow3 wrote:I don't know for sure who would vote for or against, but there would be no reason for a Valley, Northwest, or East to care whether Ptown and Ironton were in or not. As far as football goes (under my plan), the only one it would really affect would be Waverly. They're the only one that doesn't play one or the other. Valley, Minford, NW wouldn't have to play them. Wouldn't it be great for a NW to get Waverly, Burg, and West off their schedule? Can you imagine the kids at NW having a chance in virtually every game they play. A 7-3 record would go a long way at a place like that. That's 15 teams with a level playing field. Makes too much sense I guess :122248 :roll: All the other sports, I think you could actually keep it 2 divisions but even if you made it 3, all 15 teams would benefit. What a scene it would be to have SOC track meets BACK TO BACK TO BACK on 3 days in the spring. Crown 3 champions at all the SOC banquets. More exposure for all the schools. Round robbin BB all star games at the end of the season. Portsmouth with their new school would make a great host. This wouldn't be that hard. You would only have to change a few teams schedules. And not even that much of that. And that stuff about Ironton looking down on the SOC? That's what people say just to throw up smoke screens as to why to not do it. This really burns my butt :evil:

pmow3,

You put a Southern Ohio Conference like this together and I tell you people will take notice in SE-Ohio.

SOC I (Basketball Schools Only)
Latham Pike-Western
Beaver Pike-Eastern
Portsmouth Clay
New Boston
Ironton St. Joe-add
South Webster

SOC II (All former SEOAL Teams)
Nelsonville-York-Add
Athens-Add
River Valley-Add
Meigs-Add
Wellston-Add

SOC III (All Former SEOAL Teams)
Gallipolis-Add
Ironton-Add
Portsmouth-Add
Jackson-Add
Chillicothe-Add

SOC IV
Waverly
Minford
Lucasville Valley
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth West

SOC VI
South Gallia-Add
Oak Hill
Symmes Valley
Sciotoville East
Green
Portsmouth Notre Dame
Northwest-Switch

The Conference would have every Scioto County Team in it. Every Jackson County Team in it. Every Pike County Team in it. All Gallia County Teams in it. One Ross County Team, two Lawerance County Teams, two Athens County Teams and One Meigs County Team in it.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”