D III R12 Qtrs: #7 Jackson (10-0) at #2 Athens (10-0)

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Re: D III R12 Qtrs: #7 Jackson (10-0) at #2 Athens (10-0)

Post by Tyler_Durden »

maniac66 wrote:but you play lesser teams and don't say you don't balance is playing teams equal to you not lesser!
What the hell language is this supposed to be??! Admit it man, you hate Athens, and that truth is evidenced by the fact that you only show up and post on threads where you get to spout off about Athens being a big school in a small school conference, etc. It wouldn't matter who Athens scheduled or what they do, there will always be people like you who find ways to put them down. This, my foe, is the very essence of envy.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I never put no one down so don't go there but you have people saying look how high we are seeded when you played lesser teams period.
The truth hurts fine but get this strait.
Yes I am a Ironton fan but don't put what I say with them i am sure they can speak for them self's and I am sure many of them don't agree with me.
So don't put them in this I am speaking what I see and if scheduling a Div 5 team when you was a div 2 is was making your schedule better fine so be it.
But you played 3 Div 5 teams and only one was truly good Coal Grove was decent at best.
NY is a good team and they beat them self's so go in the playoffs and win and prove me wrong if you beat Jackson I will congratulate Athens and say you proved me wrong but like I said I am speaking what I and I alone think!
So think what you want of me ok but don't think all Ironton fans are like me or me like them

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Tyler_Durden wrote:
maniac66 wrote:but you play lesser teams and don't say you don't balance is playing teams equal to you not lesser!
What the hell language is this supposed to be??! Admit it man, you hate Athens, and that truth is evidenced by the fact that you only show up and post on threads where you get to spout off about Athens being a big school in a small school conference, etc. It wouldn't matter who Athens scheduled or what they do, there will always be people like you who find ways to put them down. This, my foe, is the very essence of envy.
Envy lol ok Ironton never makes playoffs so yeah I'm envious of Athens

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

Rankings doesn't always mean a thing, just ask Donte Love what Jared Humphreys did to him when #8 Jackson played #1.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Bishtakes wrote:Words of wisdom to those from Jackson traveling to Rutter Field. Wear boots as your footwear will get muddy. Take extra money due to the fact that the school parking lots were full and my wife drove down a side street looking for a parking space with no luck and had to pay a resident $10.00 to allow her to park in their driveway. I told her she was lucky because Dave and Jimmy had to pay $20.00 each. There is one entrance so depending on where you park, you might have to walk for a while. There were no port a johns on the visitors side.
The playing surface looked great, but everything outide of it is not fan friendly.
While these are areas that might get attention later as time and money allow, this is by no means a slam to Athens, just a few issues that we encountered last week.
We installed our turf 6 years ago at Boston Field, and we still have issues that we are dealing with trying to make it accomodating.
With that...Good Luck
We were in no way ready for the type of game/crowd that the N-Y game provided. The stadium is still in construction stage and nowhere near complete, I believe porta johns will be added for the playoff game and should have been for the N-Y game, parking will be greatly improved next year when the current/old softball field will be turned into a parking lot that I'd think will add 200 or so extra spaces. So while things aren't gonna be perfect its what we have to work with for the time being.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

JHS4EVER wrote:Rankings doesn't always mean a thing, just ask Donte Love what Jared Humphreys did to him when #8 Jackson played #1.
I agree and I won't say nothing else about this Play the game on the field and prove that you are real.
I just hope it is a good and well played game for both teams and everyone comes out of it healthy.
It's about the young men out there playing and wanting to win and advance .
Sorry if I upset some people but it's about the young men on that field and not what we want to think that is the bottom line.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Easiest way to settle this argument is on the field.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

maniac66 wrote:I never put no one down so don't go there but you have people saying look how high we are seeded when you played lesser teams period.
The truth hurts fine but get this strait.
Yes I am a Ironton fan but don't put what I say with them i am sure they can speak for them self's and I am sure many of them don't agree with me.
So don't put them in this I am speaking what I see and if scheduling a Div 5 team when you was a div 2 is was making your schedule better fine so be it.
But you played 3 Div 5 teams and only one was truly good Coal Grove was decent at best.
NY is a good team and they beat them self's so go in the playoffs and win and prove me wrong if you beat Jackson I will congratulate Athens and say you proved me wrong but like I said I am speaking what I and I alone think!
So think what you want of me ok but don't think all Ironton fans are like me or me like them

Maybe you should reread my post above when I said that is not all Ironton fans but some of them. So I didn't put that to all Ironton fans like you stated so why don't you get that STRAIGHT. You seem to have a problem with Athens. I do not think it is envy just a reason for you to talk down to others on their accomplishments.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

TRH wrote:Easiest way to settle this argument is on the field.
The thing is Athens and Jackson fans aren't the ones arguing with each other.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Bottom line is Athens wouldn't be where they are if they didn't deserve to be. Maybe they will get beat by Jackson, and maybe they will win. My guess is that if they win there will be people who will say "they'll never get past the next team, etc..." and if they lose there will be people who say, "see, I told you they suck." It won't matter. People hate Athens. There may be many different reasons for that hatred... some obviously hate them for leaving the SEOAL, some hate them because they're a university town, some hate them because they think Athens people have a superiority complex, some hate them because they... who knows why. But one thing is obvious from this forum, and that is many people hate them.

I'm sure they all say to that... so be it! That's probably why, for the most part, there is silence on this forum from Athens people.
Last edited by Tyler_Durden on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

JACKSON WILL WIN THIS ONE.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What did Humphreys do to Donte Love?

The team won 36-35. Jared was phenomenal and Jackson shocked the state....but Dontr Love is still the 2nd best player to ever face Jackson.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

noreply66 wrote:
pappy1 wrote:Below is a GAHS fan's view of Athens and Jackson. I am just a fan, have never coached and its been well over 50 years since I played. I personally believe it is very difficult for most fans to give accurate game predictions based on watching two teams play a common opponent. Varying strengths and weaknesses are usually not correctly analyzed by the average fan.

Teams can change dramatically between week one and week ten, which is when these games were played.

Gallipolis was leading Athens 10-0 going into the fourth quarter. They had multiple starters out and many players were going both ways. The heat took its toll, and they lost 15-10.

Gallipolis had moved the previous years tackles to guard, and one of them did a very poor job of picking up the blitz. That really hurt their offensive production, which was a weak point for them anyway.

Sharp made an in stride one handed catch for Athens first touchdowns. It was a fantastic play. Winners have players step up and make plays when the game is on the line. Sharp did this at a crucial time of the game.

Their second touchdown they just lined up and ran between the tackles and scored on a defense that had many two way players and was wore down from the heat. They had not been able to do this earlier in the game.

If Gallipolis was playing Athens this week, I would think Gallipolis would win.

Jackson beat Gallipolis by the largest margin of any of their four defeats. The speed of Osborne was the biggest determining factor in this game. Speed is a glaring weakness of Galliipolis. There was one drive Friday night when Jackson was 3 and 15, also 3 and 16 in the same drive. Osborne was trying to pass and Gallipolis was pressuring him but couldn't catch him and he ran for a first down on both plays. They scored on that possesion.

Jackson stopped Gallipolis twice inside the five yard line after long drives. Once after Gallipolis took the opening kickoff and marched down the field. As previously mentioned, winners step up and make plays and Jackson's defense did this twice last Friday.

Gallipolis moved the ball on Jackson but had enough trouble with Jackson's small fast defensive lineman that it was difficult to maintain drives.

In GAHS's losses to Athens, Ironton and Logan I thought they should have won against these opponents. I did not think that at Jackson Friday night. Jackson just beat them.

Athens may have enough speed to contain Osborne where Gallipolis could not. It is just a matter of time until Jackson plays a team that will have a big offensive line that will handle Jackson's small defensive line and put up a lot of points. Is Athens going to be that team? I would pick Jackson to win, but as stated earlier, I am just a fan. Good luck to both teams. My hope is the winner of this game wins four more.
Anyone that keys on Osborne will get ate by Ervin and Landrum. Jackson's big boys will push you and these two will punish you.
No where in my post did I reference keying on Osborne. I just stated that Gallipolis didn't have an answer for his speed.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Athens and Jackson are both 10-0 and should be commended for their accomplishments, one of these schools will end their season Friday night and will still be able to say it was one of the best years/teams in school history. As an Athens fan who respects the Jackson program as much as any other outsider, I'd like to think the posters from these two schools can agree to be respectful of each other and let the game happen as it may. There isn't any reason for anyone to downplay or disrespect what these two teams have done this season, the kids playing for both sides deserve more respect than that from all of us at this point. Feel free to make predictions and the such as that is what this site is all about but I'm asking all of you to think a little harder than normal before you make a post.

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:Athens and Jackson are both 10-0 and should be commended for their accomplishments, one of these schools will end their season Friday night and will still be able to say it was one of the best years/teams in school history. As an Athens fan who respects the Jackson program as much as any other outsider, I'd like to think the posters from these two schools can agree to be respectful of each other and let the game happen as it may. There isn't any reason for anyone to downplay or disrespect what these two teams have done this season, the kids playing for both sides deserve more respect than that from all of us at this point. Feel free to make predictions and the such as that is what this site is all about but I'm asking all of you to think a little harder than normal before you make a post.
My sentiments exactly!!! However don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

pappy1 wrote:
A-Town Big Dog wrote:Athens and Jackson are both 10-0 and should be commended for their accomplishments, one of these schools will end their season Friday night and will still be able to say it was one of the best years/teams in school history. As an Athens fan who respects the Jackson program as much as any other outsider, I'd like to think the posters from these two schools can agree to be respectful of each other and let the game happen as it may. There isn't any reason for anyone to downplay or disrespect what these two teams have done this season, the kids playing for both sides deserve more respect than that from all of us at this point. Feel free to make predictions and the such as that is what this site is all about but I'm asking all of you to think a little harder than normal before you make a post.
My sentiments exactly!!! However don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.
I know Pappy, but I can have a dream. :-D
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I still don't get the hate Athens thing. Athens was in the SEOAL for a very long time. They had people in charge that made the decision to leave. The talk that will never end about Athens leaving or that they are in the TVC is just of no point. "Athens is the biggest school"....no kiddin??? I know most leagues throughout Ohio don't have a biggest school. The winner of this game has nothing to do with SEOAL or the TVC. There is not a single player that will participate in this game that helped make the schedule or choose what league to play in. Mr. Eitel and the OHSAA did not assign computer rankings based on league affiliation.

It's #2 10-0 Athens Bulldogs vs #7 10-0 Jackson Ironmen

Friday 7:30

See you there.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

And again, great post!

This is exactly what it's all about. It seems to me that the Jackson and Athens fans have a great mutual respect for one another, and I'm certain that the same can be said for both football teams. I'm looking forward to a great football game on Friday night between two undefeated teams that have earned the right to compete for a state championship.

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

This was the matchup I was hoping for. A short trip against a familiar foe.

I remember the 1990 game, it was an atrocity.

I remember 2003 and contrary to some people's beliefs, this was like so many of the games in Jackson's back to back 9-3 seasons of 2003 & 2004, two very evenly matched teams fighting it out to the bitter end.

2011 makes it hard not to look at common opponents and the origin of each team's 1st and 2nd level points.

1st level points ( based on the size of the opponents vanquished)

Athens 46.5
Jackson 50.5

Only Jonathan Alder posted more 1st level points in Region 12 than Jackson.

2nd level points are based on number of wins and size of vanquished teams presented by those teams you beat. This is where the TVC was a major factor for Athens.

Athens 238
Jackson 178

2nd Level points for common opponents (6) was, of course, identical. The difference was in the other 4 games.

Jackson:
Logan (1 win) Who would have ever imagined that?
Portsmouth (3 wins) Usually better than this but not always.
Ironton (6 wins) Playoff qualifier
St Charles (3 wins) Division 1 Columbus Catholic League Casualty

Athens:

Coal Grove (7 wins) 10th in D V Region 19
Meigs (6 wins) 9th in D IV Region 15 but missed playoff spot by a whopping 4.5 points
Alexander (7 wins) Tied for 15th in D V Region 15
Nelsonville (9 wins) Hosting a Playoff Game Div V

When you begin to look at the system you realize that it is a devise, not a measure of strength of schedule. You have to figure a way to determine who gets in and who doesn't, otherwise you let everyone in and call it basketball, thus the rankings make the distinction, however; the points system is not an indication of strength of schedule, unless you are, Ironton, and get in at 6-4, although one could argue strength of region.

Common Opponents:

Athens 15
at Gallia 10

at Jackson 27
Gallia 6

Advantage Jackson

Athens 19
at Warren 14

Jackson 42
at Warren 17

Advantage Jackson

at Athens 28
Chillicothe 14

Jackson 51
at Chillicothe 10

Advantage Jackson

Athens 42
at Waverly 21

at Jackson 49
Waverly 0

Advantage Jackson

Athens 41
at Vinton County 0

at Jackson 42
Vinton County 0

Even

Athens 36
at Wellston 7

at Jackson 35
Wellston 0

Even

Jackson's signature win was the comeback win over Ironton at Tanks Memorial.

Athens' signature win was the overtime win at home vs Nelsonville-York.

When it is all said and done, it will be determined by the team that plays the best on Friday Night. Jackson has shown more weapons and has bested Athens' wins over common opponents.

Home Field should not be much of an advantage. It is a short ride, field turf and the Ironmen will bring their share of backing.

If both teams bring their best, Jackson should win a shootout in the mid to upper 40's

white bread
Waterboy

Post by white bread »

It's gonna get ugly quick in this one and Athens is gonna finish the season at 10-1 unless they get the same refs they had against nelsonville

Return to “Football”