SOC2 Minford (5-1) @ Portsmouth West (5-1)

Westfan
SEOP

Re: SOC2 Minford (5-1) @ Portsmouth West (5-1)

Post by Westfan »

Black@Orange wrote:I'll agree with the other guy. Kyle Auger is a really good kicker. As good as we've had at West for some time. The 2 pat's he missed at Portsmouth were because the ball wasn't placed properly. On the last one, it was noticeably leaning to the left and he pulled the kick that way. West really needs to spend some time on the pat's or it's gonna cost them another game.

Go to bobbieannsphotos and tell me whats wrong with the hold. Kyle is a good kicker, but its all in his head right now. He will get over it.[/quote]

In that picture, it looks good. From our angle in the stands, it looked like it was leaning, what would be toward the camera. Maybe were crazy, but a couple guys there thought the same thing. I tried to look at it on nextvsports, but the clock on the screen is in the way.

Whatever the reason, they need to figure that out and give them (snapper, holder, kicker) confidence somehow. Kicking is alot of pressure. Especially for a young sophomore. Maybe he'll hit a few in a game or a short field goal and get back the confidence.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

siderman wrote:
Black@Orange wrote:I'll agree with the other guy. Kyle Auger is a really good kicker. As good as we've had at West for some time. The 2 pat's he missed at Portsmouth were because the ball wasn't placed properly. On the last one, it was noticeably leaning to the left and he pulled the kick that way. West really needs to spend some time on the pat's or it's gonna cost them another game.

Go to bobbieannsphotos and tell me whats wrong with the hold. Kyle is a good kicker, but its all in his head right now. He will get over it.

In that picture, it looks good. From our angle in the stands, it looked like it was leaning, what would be toward the camera. Maybe were crazy, but a couple guys there thought the same thing. I tried to look at it on nextvsports, but the clock on the screen is in the way.

Whatever the reason, they need to figure that out and give them (snapper, holder, kicker) confidence somehow. Kicking is alot of pressure. Especially for a young sophomore. Maybe he'll hit a few in a game or a short field goal and get back the confidence.[/quote]

If he missed because the lean on that ball, (if any) we need to start looking for a new kicker. What about his other misses? I know Kyle can kick I've seen him since jr high. I would'nt have even commented on this until the loss was put on 1 player. We came out flat and a little nervous thats why we lost.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Black@Orange wrote:If he missed because the lean on that ball, (if any) we need to start looking for a new kicker. What about his other misses? I know Kyle can kick I've seen him since jr high. I would'nt have even commented on this until the loss was put on 1 player. We came out flat and a little nervous thats why we lost.

Agree. We lost that game because Portsmouth was extremely pumped to play in their new stadium. West's youth made them a little timid. Once they settled down they played good ball and almost one it. And no way was the kicker or anyone else for that loss. You win and loose as a team.

By the way what a weapon that kid is on kickoffs. I've never seen a West kid kick the ball in the endzone. By the time he's a senior he'll put most of them there. With the high school rules, starting on the 20 every time is a big advantage.

Kicking field goals takes alot of guts. The kicker for both the Bengals and the Buckeyes are both in slumps right now. It happens. The bengals kicker is a 9 year vet and a former pro-bowler. Then Buckeyes is a 5th year senior. Kickers need short memories.

minfordmom1
Waterboy

Post by minfordmom1 »

[quote="WestFan27"]

Minford fans all I know is you better beat us this year cause we will be very strong the next few years.[/quote]

Hmmm so are you saying that west isnt any good this year? Sure sounds like it...The score board will let us know friday night I guess :lol:

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Good luck West!!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

minfordmom1 wrote:
WestFan27 wrote:

Minford fans all I know is you better beat us this year cause we will be very strong the next few years.

Hmmm so are you saying that west isnt any good this year? Sure sounds like it...The score board will let us know friday night I guess :lol:

no. What he is saying West is playing alot of juniors and sophomores this year. They are young. Good, but young. Minford and Burg have alot of upperclassmen. West will return most of the team for the next 2 years.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

I think West will be emotionally and physically ready for this game, I think the crowd friday will be huge, but seeing as how far the stands are away theirs not a lot of a home field advantage...but, West will not want to lose what could be a game for at least a piece of the championship in their house...and I argee with the other poster, minford has some good backs, they are all solid...if we stop the buck sweep, we make their trap less effective...and we have been good against the trap and inside runs...it will be interesting...I would imagine that they will try to pass a on us early, but they are a run first team and will try to do what they do, Daniels won't pass unless he has to, hes a patient playcaller...and I imagine West will do the same...I won't make a prediction now, but it will probably a game decided by a touchdown

TartanPride
Waterboy

Post by TartanPride »

This should be a GREAT game to watch. Minford coming off a big win over the burg and West also comeing off a big win over Waverly....But im going to have to take West in a close one
West-21
Minford-7
Good Luck to both Teams!

FieldysDream
Waterboy

Post by FieldysDream »

This game will definately come down to the 4th quarter. I think the keys for both teams will be Penalties(Good Calls?), Turnovers, and who has more possession of the ball. Meaning both teams D better bring there A-game.. I'd predict a score but its at West!? :122249 However these teams are pretty evenly matched up...Good luck to both teams on an injury free game!!!JMO

Go Minford

burgbball
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbball »

Here are the updated Drew Pasteur playoff probabilities for all you West fans

Region 15 Playoff Berth Probabilities
Projected Harbin cut-off 15.25
Amanda-Clearcreek (Amanda) 100% (7W-21.1-100%)
West Muskingum (Zanesville) 99% (6W-13.9-33% 7W-15.6-78% 8W-17.4-99% 9W-19.4-100%)
Ironton 96% (5W-13.5-23% 6W-17.5-99% 7W-21.4-100%)
Coshocton 93% (6W-13.1-21% 7W-14.9-59% 8W-17.3-97% 9W-21.5-100%)
Portsmouth West (West Portsmouth) 79% (6W-11.9-2% 7W-14.9-60% 8W-18.3-99% 9W-21.8-100%)
Bishop Hartley (Columbus) 74% (6W-13.2-15% 7W-14.2-40% 8W-17.4-96% 9W-20.9-100%)
Heath 69% (6W-11.9-3% 7W-14.6-46% 8W-18.0-99% 9W-21.9-100%)
Portsmouth 43% (6W-12.6-11% 7W-15.6-68% 8W-19.0-100%)
Fairland (Proctorville) 42% (7W-12.7-9% 8W-16.2-84%)
Westfall (Williamsport) 31% (7W-12.7-6% 8W-15.8-75%)
Zane Trace (Chillicothe) 24% (7W-12.4-4% 8W-15.4-67%)
Fairfield Union (Lancaster) 15% (6W-10.5-1% 7W-14.3-25% 8W-18.8-99%)
Alexander (Albany) 12% (8W-13.5-14% 9W-16.6-89%)
Utica 12% (7W-12.0-1% 8W-15.9-72%)
Highland (Sparta) 11% (7W-12.6-3% 8W-15.9-75%)
Piketon 1% (7W-12.4-2%)
Wellston 1% (6W-11.7-1%)
Bloom-Carroll (Carroll) 1% ()

Looks good for another SOC II team. West could lose 2 games and still get in. Good luck West lets get another SOC II team in the playoffs.

burgbball
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbball »

If the SOC II continues to make showings like this maybe we could get a little respect in southern Ohio.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Burgbball wrote:If the SOC II continues to make showings like this maybe we could get a little respect in southern Ohio.

I think the only way the Soc II gets respect on a year in and year out basis is by beating other teams besides the ones in our area. The common misconception around here by a lot of people is if you win the Soc championship, you just fold it up and call it day because your season is complete, but no one in state is going to look at that school and be like "wow, they won the Soc II championship"...because all of those other teams in the playoffs more than likely won their league as well...the way the Soc II will make a name for itself is by beating the Bishop Ready's, Liberty Union's, Johnstown-Monroes, Fredricktown's...I mean as a player my first goal was to win the Soc, I loved it, it was great to say you beat all of your rivals...but you can't be satisfied with winning the league and exiting the playoffs after the first and second rounds...Burg has a pretty good reputation as being tough in their region, but since the 80-90's they haven't won a region (98 to be exact)...and there were a few of those teams that could of (the 05 team that got beat by Centerburg, and the 07 that got beat in a very good game against the freddies come to my mind the most)...West was satisfied every since the runner-up appearence (the 05 should of been a playoff team) until last years team, who I believe should of won the region, but they weren't used to the success, and it seemed as their one goal was to go 10-0 and win the Soc, they accomplished that, and seem satisfied...Minford is building, but they have no history of playoff success (one playoff win against burgi n 2000), and Valley was getting a little bit credible, but after the move to Soc 2 is had rebuild...

All and all, I think it has to less with run/pass ratio and more with teams being satisfied, and/or southern ohio playing schools they have never heard of and having a mental block...because we have the talent...This year, I think West could win a playoff game this year, I think Minford could win a playoff game or two this year, and I thought burg had a shot at the region, they still could, but regardless I think they get past the first round and I could maybe even see Valley making the playoffs...As far as the future, I think the next two years at least West could win the region, Burg is always a playoff team, Valley could be one, and as far Minford, I know they lose a lot this year, but they seem to building a program so who knows...

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Minford is 0-2 playing at West after beating the Burg. :12224

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

Minford is building, but they have no history of playoff success (one playoff win against burgi n 2000

Minford made it to the final four in 1985 and won their region that year. The best run they had to date. They made the playoffs after that but one win and out.

fbbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by fbbacker »

Minford 22, West 20 in a close game.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Well said RW1965

Minford could still lose a game and make the playoffs at 7-3 easy.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

:lol:

buckeye83
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye83 »

If my memory serves me correctly West was not supposed to be on the same field with Minford in '85..I cant believe Dick Tipton didnt just throw in the towel before sending his boys into the slaughter............LOL

Thats why you play the game on the field, not on paper or the computer

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Back on topic: BEST of LUCK WEST!!

Bushy Tail Butcher
Freshman Team

Post by Bushy Tail Butcher »

buckeye83 wrote:If my memory serves me correctly West was not supposed to be on the same field with Minford in '85..I cant believe Dick Tipton didnt just throw in the towel before sending his boys into the slaughter............LOL

Thats why you play the game on the field, not on paper or the computer

Yes, you right, Minford was supposed to win. And there is no doubt Minford had the best team. But the West team wanted it more, and Dick Tipton out coached the Minford coaching staff. But we paid them back the next year, at Minford.

Go Falcons

Return to “Football”