SOC2 Lucasville Valley (7-0) vs. Portsmouth West (7-0)

Winner?

Total votes: 0

footballfan
JV Team

Re: SOC2 Lucasville Valley (7-0) vs. Portsmouth West (7-0)

Post by footballfan »

I know RH has been whipped by all of Valley, West, and Burg...but I must say the BEST back that I have watched is Pendleton...Valley had a nice defensive backfield....I was not impressed by Shank this season, the QB hurt us a whole lot more....a RH fan. My outlook is how the West defense plays Valley and keeps their QB in check, this is the key for West. I pick West by 2 TDs...but then again I could be very wrong. One that I wish was played on Saturday.

Fubar
Waterboy

Post by Fubar »

This game is highly dependent on 2 factors in my opinion.

1. The weather, since I'm sure that most people agree that West is always hard to beat in the rain and mud.
2. Whether West has fixed the obvious problems that almost made them lose to Minford. Namely their big play prevention, tackling in the open field (especially TFL and sacks), their ability to score touchdowns in the Red Zone, and Auger's PAT kicks (0/2 last week)/their 2-point conversion plays (also 0/2).

Along with that, they need to get some touch on Levi's passing. West can't afford to have him overthrowing 60% of his passes if they expect to open up the field for some passing offense and chances for Pendleton to run.

I think that if the weather turns rainy, or West fixes the problems that appeared against Minford, they win this game in a relatively close game (34-21). If they don't fix the problems and the weather is fine, Valley destroys West completely (48-14).

Curious George
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious George »

Reading the above post, and thinking back to several other posts on several other West topics this season, something occurred to me that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Everyone has talked in various ways about the obvious: West's running game spear-headed by Pendleton and company, West's big line, Valley's speed and spread offense, etc. However, when folks bring up the notion that West has an improved passing game this year as compared to last year (which I also believe to be true), I have yet to read where anyone has discussed the fact that Valley has had 3 different kids return INT's for TD's this fall...if the Portsmouth Daily Times recap of each game has been accurate. It seems that I've read where Yates, Holcomb and Linne have all three returned picks for TD's. Anyone else think that might mean that Valley MIGHT just MIGHT have the athletes on the perimeter to cover West man-to-man while allowing the LB's and D-linemen to focus on the powerful running attack?

Of course, if West is able to bully Valley up front all night long, who needs to throw a pass. But, if Valley's D-line and LB's can manage the West running attack enough to force Triplett and company to throw the football...

Maybe I'm thinking too much, but just some food for thought. I hope I'm able to make it to this game and see it for myself.

4dfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by 4dfalcons »

This should be a great high school football game. I have not seen Valley play so I won't venture a prediction. A big question is if Pendelton and Locher can play. Valley sure will be tested in the next three weeks.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

look for west to run the ball between tackles and valley to run the spread, west blitzing every play and valley stacking the line every play, who will win will be the team with the least mistakes (penalties, miss tackles, fumbles , interceptions, penalties, wasted timeouts, extra points) who has the most discipline we will see, but this is still a three team race with THE BURG but the winner has their control of the gold ball

Buckeye_demon32
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye_demon32 »

If west HAS to throw the ball they lose....Valley has the best secondary in the SOC hands down and their linebacker are very fast and great in coverage too and I've seen all the top teams in the soc....if valley consistently gets west in 3rd n long (through penalties or stopping the run) west is gonna be in real trouble....one thing not mentioned is wests discipline which has always been a concern since I can remember.....are they gonna implode if things begin so go south? Guess we will find out on friday

truth-hurts10
Waterboy

Post by truth-hurts10 »

Two things people havent yet considered: are the weather conditions going to favor valley's speed? If the field is soaked, valley's speed is levelled out and their advantage is lost. Dry conditions and clear skies are also favorable for valley's passing attack. If this game is played in rain and slop, west becomes a heavy favorite. if not, expect a shootout down to the final second. Best of luck to both teams, and my prediction: 35-20 valley

truth-hurts10
Waterboy

Post by truth-hurts10 »

Curious George wrote:Reading the above post, and thinking back to several other posts on several other West topics this season, something occurred to me that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Everyone has talked in various ways about the obvious: West's running game spear-headed by Pendleton and company, West's big line, Valley's speed and spread offense, etc. However, when folks bring up the notion that West has an improved passing game this year as compared to last year (which I also believe to be true), I have yet to read where anyone has discussed the fact that Valley has had 3 different kids return INT's for TD's this fall...if the Portsmouth Daily Times recap of each game has been accurate. It seems that I've read where Yates, Holcomb and Linne have all three returned picks for TD's. Anyone else think that might mean that Valley MIGHT just MIGHT have the athletes on the perimeter to cover West man-to-man while allowing the LB's and D-linemen to focus on the powerful running attack?

Of course, if West is able to bully Valley up front all night long, who needs to throw a pass. But, if Valley's D-line and LB's can manage the West running attack enough to force Triplett and company to throw the football...

Maybe I'm thinking too much, but just some food for thought. I hope I'm able to make it to this game and see it for myself.
I like this a lot. very good point. and yates is quite the athlete at safety, with 3 interceptions at least (correct me if I'm wrong)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I guess we'll see friday, but I don't think West's defensive backfield is getting enough credit. They played in 7 on 7's in the summer against very good teams in Ohio and WVA. They more than held their own. Not to mention a healthy Portsmouth team whom we completely shut down.

I really think our defense will be fine.

Country684
Waterboy

Post by Country684 »

I believe West and Valley both basically have the same teams that they had last year. Lat years game was a barn burner and I expect nothing less this year. Valley has been overlooked this whole season by most people complaining about the strength of there schedule. You can throw all that out the window these last few weeks of the season. I believe Valley is the real deal this year. Valley by at least two touchdowns in this one.

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

I see Valley as an almost exact copy of the Portsmouth team that West played in Week 2.

Best Athlete at QB ( I would give a slight edge to Yates)
Good Receivers
Undersized Defense

With this being said I think West will handle them in a close game only because I think Valley has a center that can get a snap to Yates without him having to bend over and pick every ball up off the ground. Cooper #75 will be in Yates' face on every play you can bet on that, he is what makes that defense tick. Valley wins if West has two or more turnovers if not its West 27-14.

forward
Waterboy

Post by forward »

I believe Valley has the ablility to throw the ball all over the field..........But will the QB have time that is the real question? Does valley have the Hogs up front to keep West out of their backfield... I dont know. But i think that is the key to the game, Valleys O-line. West will get theirs on offence, they will line up and bring it right between the tackles..... This game is a toss up, being decided by turnovers, and who shows up ready to play.

fan4sure
Freshman Team

Post by fan4sure »

WEST WINS!!!!!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

fan4sure wrote:WEST WINS!!!!!!

Great insight!

Looks like we are going to have amazing weather Friday night. The field conditions should not come into play at all.

bocephus
Riding the Bench

Post by bocephus »

Funny how those who haven't seen Valley play are underestimating their abilities. Yates was not the main quarterback for them last year. Newsflash:::: If you've seen him play basketball, you know he's tough, IMO he's a better quarterback. This will be a great game and I hope it can stay competitive without injuries.

Curious George
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious George »

As we approach the middle of the week, any injury updates? I hope both teams will be at 100% or at least near 100% for this one.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Fubar wrote:This game is highly dependent on 2 factors in my opinion.

1. The weather, since I'm sure that most people agree that West is always hard to beat in the rain and mud.
2. Whether West has fixed the obvious problems that almost made them lose to Minford. Namely their big play prevention, tackling in the open field (especially TFL and sacks), their ability to score touchdowns in the Red Zone, and Auger's PAT kicks (0/2 last week)/their 2-point conversion plays (also 0/2).

Along with that, they need to get some touch on Levi's passing. West can't afford to have him overthrowing 60% of his passes if they expect to open up the field for some passing offense and chances for Pendleton to run.

I think that if the weather turns rainy, or West fixes the problems that appeared against Minford, they win this game in a relatively close game (34-21). If they don't fix the problems and the weather is fine, Valley destroys West completely (48-14).
Fubar, I don't know how many games you've seen this year. But I can't remeber the last time I missed a West game. And there is no way that Ratliff has overthrown 60% of his passes. I can't think of a better arm since Howell. When is the last time we have averaged over 100yrds passing a game. And very few of his passes are under 20yrds (if not more) in the air. If the Daily Times are correct, and you double his attempts, they are comparable to Yates' numbers. Yates still hasn't thrown an interception, and I know West has. But still way better than we've had for awhile. I know West has to many dropped passes a game. Coach Triplett also said on the radio, that Ratliff is calling most of the plays.

Talked to some players on saturday. And they was saying that Minfords defense was calling our cadence. Thats why we was having all the procedure calls inside the 10. And keep letting Auger kick, he has the leg. Let him build his confidence. Don't chase the point until you have to.

On offense, we must maintain drives with the run, pop a few passes, and control the clock. Defense we have to put pressure on Yates, but contain him. Not very easy. But I really like our d-ends to pressure, and contain, maybe drop back into coverage also. West defensive backfield needs to step up. This will be their biggest challenge. I like both of our lines against theirs, so I think the running games will go our way. I predict that West wins another close one, but I'm also praying for RAIN!

OST
Freshman Team

Post by OST »

All you need is pressure on him and if he doesn't get away using his feet then he has had trouble hitting the open man. Nothing to dog on though most high school quarterbacks have problems with sitting in the pocket and delivering the pass. He had a receiver open on a fade for 6 and a post route for 6. If it rains, i give the advantage to west. Rain+Power Football= Points. Same thing that happened the burg game back in 08. it rained and that's when craigmiles and the shank brothers couldn't use what they had to their advantage unlike west using the power running style of Murphy, Swords and Pendleton to their advantage.

Buckeye_demon32
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye_demon32 »

0% chance of rain according to a few weather sites on friday from 7pm til 10pm and only a 10% chance of rain occuring all day on friday so the field should be in decent shape

QB4
Freshman Team

Post by QB4 »

I wouldn't be surprised if the field is soaked by an unexpected "Morning Shower"!! LOL

Return to “Football”