OVC Championship: Coal Grove @ Chesapeake

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: OVC Championship: Coal Grove @ Chesapeake

Post by fuzzhead »

No surprise. Drew Pastuer had them at a 100% chance of making the playoffs with 8 wins. Once again, heading to Oak Hill. It was a given that the Grove was in win, lose, or draw.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

RJ7171C71R wrote:Ok let me put in my 2 cents worth LOL!!First of all congrats to Peake on the big win!!It was a heck of a game and I was a nervous wreck as my nephew plays for the Grove LOL!!Anyhow,I didnt see anybody within 10 yards of where that ball landed on the reversed Intentional grounding call,besides another Grove defender!!There wasnt even a Peake Lineman close as the sack would have made it go from 2nd and 1 to 3rd and 12,cause that penalty was a loss of down?!How can the head referee throw the flag and then reverse it after talking to other refs and the Peake coaches??Very bad call here and that just took the wind out of the Groves sails!!

Now the Peake were moving our D Line almost 2 yards every play and we kept running the darn ball ,even though the Panthers were loading the box!!We went to the spread and drove it straight down the field before the half!!Then after that for some reason the coaches decide not to use the spread much except in passing situtions and that was not smart IMO!!They could have kept passing and that opened up Bubba to run up the middle if they wanted!!I think we got outcoahed but still the refs killed us with that flag pickup!!HORRIBLE call but a GREAT game and I hope the Grove makes the playoffs and I talked to a coach and he said he thought wed still be 6 or 7!!If 6 we may play Wheelersburg LOL!!Thatd be fun!

I also wanna say that I seen both teams shaking hands and the cheerleaders too!!One coah was smart with a HS student and that wasnt very mature to do that to the young Grover!!

Watch the video and see where #5 is. And thats all i'm gonna say about football. On to basketball and to mop up on the hardwood.

ruckerm
Waterboy

Post by ruckerm »

Nice job Peake! Way to bounce back after a tough start to the year. Reminds me of some of the teams in the past the had slow starts and finished strong. If there really was a bunch of complaining about Coach Davis then hopefully this late run put it to bed. Coach Davis is a great HS football coach and has always gotten the most out of the players and talent he has. It was an honor to play for him and I agree, that field should be named after him when his time is up. Go Peake!

RJ7171C71R
Riding the Bench

Post by RJ7171C71R »

Please post that video??The real point is that the head ref throws a flag and there is no Reviews in HS Football but after talking to Peake Coaches and the other refs??He picks it up??Come on now?He threw the flag for a reason??So what the heck??I admit Coal Grove shouldnt have let them be in that position but we then make a play with the big sack(This was one play call that I questioned about the Peake Coach),and then the refs take it away after further review LMAOO!Youve gotta be kidding me right!

Like,I said though they won on the lines most of the night and had 2 big runs and They outcoahed us,but still the refs made a horrible call!!Like fuzz said,I got my moneys worth as I was on the edge of my seat and I even got some good halftime entertainment when 2 ladies fought in the stands LOL!Congrats to Peake on the win and I will be at Oak Hill,to root on my nephew and the Grove against the Oaks!

RJ7171C71R
Riding the Bench

Post by RJ7171C71R »

ruckerm wrote:Nice job Peake! Way to bounce back after a tough start to the year. Reminds me of some of the teams in the past the had slow starts and finished strong. If there really was a bunch of complaining about Coach Davis then hopefully this late run put it to bed. Coach Davis is a great HS football coach and has always gotten the most out of the players and talent he has. It was an honor to play for him and I agree, that field should be named after him when his time is up. Go Peake!
AGREED here!Hes coached against Lucas forever and knows him well and he outcoahed him and his son!!I think Junior made a Mistake when he didnt stay with the spread!!We passed some out of the Running formation but the spread was taking some people off the line and opened up the running game!!Oh well,maybe he will open it up against the Oaks cause I dont see us running it on them!!

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

About like number 16 jumping offsides for cg on a crucial play and the line judge is nowhere to be found on that side so the opposite line judge only sees the reaction from the peake defense by moving across the line....where was that ref anyway. Never seen that happen before....but whatever. And I honestly hope Grove beats the Oaks. Peace out.... and i'll try and get the video for you. Check back in a few days.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Beside the non-call on the intentional grounding, the only call (actually a non-call) I saw that was really bad was the one when CG punted and the ball clearly went off a Peake player's leg and and bounced accordingly and nothing was done about it.

RJ7171C71R
Riding the Bench

Post by RJ7171C71R »

fuzzhead wrote:Beside the non-call on the intentional grounding, the only call (actually a non-call) I saw that was really bad was the one when CG punted and the ball clearly went off a Peake player's leg and and bounced accordingly and nothing was done about it.
I missed that one fuzzhead LOL!Im looking forward to the video ovcfan!!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Great game, and # 5 was near the end of the game was right by were the ball was thrown so it was a great no call.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

I'll post it when i can get it....for real, i am done with this post. Facts are Coal Grove lost. Chesapeake won. The refs didnt cost you the game. Coal Grove goes to the playoffs. Chesapeake doesnt. I am pulling for Coal Grove to win a playoff game, dont see it happening. Good night.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Ok to put this to rest on the intentional grounding no call. Even though #5 was indeed within 3 yard of the ball if the grounding call would have standed the very next play correct me if im wrong but Chesapeake compleated a pass near the 5 yard line that either way would have given them a 1st down!! Grow up and stop whinning except Fuzz! Great Job Peake!! Hope the field is named after Davis and i would like to see him back for another year b/c i think they can do some damage next year!! Congrats OVC CHAMPS!!

RJ7171C71R
Riding the Bench

Post by RJ7171C71R »

dime-a-dozen wrote:Ok to put this to rest on the intentional grounding no call. Even though #5 was indeed within 3 yard of the ball if the grounding call would have standed the very next play correct me if im wrong but Chesapeake compleated a pass near the 5 yard line that either way would have given them a 1st down!! Grow up and stop whinning except Fuzz! Great Job Peake!! Hope the field is named after Davis and i would like to see him back for another year b/c i think they can do some damage next year!! Congrats OVC CHAMPS!!

No they ran the 1 yard for the first down!!Get your facts straight!!Then they threw the pass!!Had it been 3rd and 12,the whole ending changes,but the refs would have made sure theyd got in the endzone!!Its funny how the refs left in a hurry LOL!!That proves my point!Plus I said in all my posts that their line moved us and we got outcoached and I congratulated them,but that was a Huge pickup of a flag LOL!!The refs and Peake coaches conversation goes like this!Hey Mr ref if yu dont pick up the flag you wont get your bonus money!!Ok Mr davis,Im sorry I will wave it off :122245

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

peake wrote:1st- Congrats to Chesapeake, way to not listen to all the people that think they know more then the coaches.
2nd- Way to have eachothers back. You were 0-5 and then turned it around. That is a mark of a well coached team with a bunch of coachable kids.

3rd-Parents. Learn from this. How many times did I read that Davis was too conservative, had lost it, was running the same plays over and over, the defense can't stop anyone, etc. These coaches are the same ones who won a lot of games and championships before your sons graced the field. These coaches may have coached up these kids better then any group they have had---maybe ever.

4th-Community you better get behind Phil Davis and name the stadium or field after him. This program is what it is because of that man. This program won 3 OVC titles in its entire existence until Phil took it over. The reason all of you can come to the game and complain is because HE HAS SET THE STANDARD. Norm got the court named after him, well Phil needs something equal to what Norm recieved.

5th-Boys, keep working, don't let 5-5 define you. Make this program a power again. This is the win you needed to reestablish Chesapeake as a program that can play with anyone. Work your tails off and trust your coaches.

Go Peake!!!!
Great post...I agree the stadium should be named after Phil, not just in football alone though, look how many kids he's coached in track that has went to the state tourny and placed. I am so happy that the Peake is back on top of the OVC great job kids. I was getting worried thinking that my class was going to be the last one to have won the title for a long time (6 years is still way to long).

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

RJbunch of letters and numbers,

Stop being a troll on this thread. Let Chesapeake celebrate and enjoy this win. CG had a great season, and it will continue next week. Unfortunatly, CG lost the OVC, but you are still playing so move on and stop with the complaining. Start another thread if you want to keep complaining but let the Peake celebrate.

Chesapeake Community,

I think it would be appropriate to send e-mails to Scott Howard and let your voice be heard concerning coach Davis. Let him know how much he has meant to this community, to the kids, and to the program. He needs to be honored in some way. It is long overdue. If you want the field or the stadium named after him, or even a statue lol, let it be known. Alumni who played for Coach, if and when this happens everyone should make the effort to come back and honor him when it happens.

This is Howard's e-mail scott.howard@peake.k12.oh.us, I suggest you write a nice letter letting him know what Coach Davis means to all of us. Thanks and GO Peake!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

When did Coach Davis take over as head coach?

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

riverball
JV Team

Post by riverball »

Nice job Peake, big win for your team. Congrats on the OVC. Pushed SV over the edge for home playoff game.

RJ7171C71R
Riding the Bench

Post by RJ7171C71R »

peake wrote:RJbunch of letters and numbers,

Stop being a troll on this thread. Let Chesapeake celebrate and enjoy this win. CG had a great season, and it will continue next week. Unfortunatly, CG lost the OVC, but you are still playing so move on and stop with the complaining. Start another thread if you want to keep complaining but let the Peake celebrate.

Chesapeake Community,

I think it would be appropriate to send e-mails to Scott Howard and let your voice be heard concerning coach Davis. Let him know how much he has meant to this community, to the kids, and to the program. He needs to be honored in some way. It is long overdue. If you want the field or the stadium named after him, or even a statue lol, let it be known. Alumni who played for Coach, if and when this happens everyone should make the effort to come back and honor him when it happens.

This is Howard's e-mail scott.howard@peake.k12.oh.us, I suggest you write a nice letter letting him know what Coach Davis means to all of us. Thanks and GO Peake!

So your telling me as a Peake fan,that if the roles were reversed and a flag that was picked up ,you all would be mad too??If you say you wouldnt be then I dont believe you!I congratulated the Peake and said they beat us on the lines but that one call turned the game,like it or not!!The head ref should not be picking up a flag after conversing with the Home coaches and other refs??If u want a celebratory post for the Peake then make your own and I will congratulate them and not mention the obvious collusion that went on!Im still waiting for the video!!

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

http://www.wral.com/sports/sports_legacy/story/1799784/
A ref's perspective on intentional grounding.

"In the high school game it is a foul to throw, intentionally, a forward pass incomplete to save loss of yardage and to throw, intentionally, a pass to an area not occupied by an eligible receiver. The penalty is 5 yards and loss of down. The enforcement spot is from the end of the run, or where the pass was made.

"This is different than NCAA rules in which a passer , who is outside the pocket,( which is determine to be between the tackles in a normal formation,) can throw a pass intentionally incomplete.

"The Referee (white hat) is usually the sole official to rule on intentional grounding. However, he must rely on his other officials to communicate whether there were any eligible receivers in the area. I basically use a couple of factors in determining whether I flag the foul.

"1. Is the QB at risk of being sacked.

"2. Is there an eligible receiver in the general area. I usually use a 10 yard radius as a guide to determine if someone is in the vicinity, but only factor 1 is also in effect."

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I don't care how anyone feels about me but in my eyes besides the refs, Coal Grove lost this game, Peake didn't win it. When in the history of Coal Grove football do we throw the ball in the fourth quarter with a slim lead and 3 and a half minutes left to play. I like the fact we are starting to get a passing game but in that situation my screen name says it all. I will say congrats to the Peake players on playing a good game, I am just sorry that the refs ruined what would have been an exciting game that had the smallest OVC schools playing for it all.

Return to “Football”