THE NEW LOOK OF THE NEW OVC 2015

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Re: THE NEW LOOK OF THE NEW OVC 2015

Post by Texas 2 »

if you want a more competitive team, you should let Jackson in the league.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Jackson is not a good fit for the league and I think they know that. They need to get in a conference with bigger schools.

I think most of the teams in the league will suffer when it comes time for playoffs. As big as this league has gotten it will be hard for even 2 teams to make the playoffs. Their outside conference games will be big for all the teams in the OVC. I was glad to see that Fairland and SP hired football coaches with experience. This will help these 2 schools get better but only time will tell. I think all the other sports it will be a good thing but football it may take awhile to see the improvements. I also believe it is time for RH to make some changes if they have another bad year it will not be good for the kids at RH or the OVC. I don't want to get into their reasons but they must be smoking some good stuff out on 93.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Jackson might not go to playoffs even if they won 9 games if they were in the ovc. Beating multiple division 5 teams with losing records would not help and there would only be 2 out of conference games.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

To bring Jackson in you would have to convince a team like Symmes Valley or Oak Hill to come in as well, that way you have a total of ten teams and you can break up into two five team divisions. Even doing that Jackson is looking at an uphill battle to make playoffs every year. The only way Jackson would work is if instead of going after the smaller schools you convince teams like Huntington High, Cabell Midland, or Spring Valley to come into the league. Bigger out of state teams which gives more 1st level points and their non-conference games would be against bigger opponents which would give more 2nd level points, but talking those school into entering into the OVC would be easier said than done.

As for the OVC this year I think it will be more competitive than what most people think. Yes I know Ironton will be predicted to win the conference but I don't see Portsmouth as the clear cut second place team, I think it just might be a three team race for the top. Going to be an exciting year for the OVC and as for me my bold prediction is that the OVC will get two teams into the playoffs this year. With all this talk of the new OVC it makes me wonder, Is it August yet?

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

tigercannon71 wrote:Wow Ironton and Coal Grove are two smallest yet they dominate the rest.

Quality not Quantity that matters. Ironton and Coal Grove will dominate this league this year, it is a matter of how bad your boys want it and how much work they are willing to put into getting where they want to be. The two best teams in the OVC this year can see each others lights on a Friday Night.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

Regardless, the addition of these teams strengthen the overall conference quite well. New Rivalries will form, while Old Rivalries will rekindle.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

2trap_4ever wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:Wow Ironton and Coal Grove are two smallest yet they dominate the rest.

Quality not Quantity that matters. Ironton and Coal Grove will dominate this league this year, it is a matter of how bad your boys want it and how much work they are willing to put into getting where they want to be. The two best teams in the OVC this year can see each others lights on a Friday Night.
I agree with Ironton but CG they lost a great deal of players last year what a lot of people that thought would be one of the best teams in the area.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

I wish this league would become tough quick. :122249 ain't gonna happen.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

If the ovc added two more teams to make it 10 and then split into two divisions, then the teams would still have a bye week which is exactly why the ovc wanted 8 teams. Maybe it would be possible with cross conference matchups, but no one from the lower would want to play up. Can you imagin the small teams playing the big teams in the SOC? 100-0

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

elmer fudd wrote:tigersbait mi good cusun Roy tells me that coach hass done ordered ironton a delux giant trophies case for them tigers being in the ovc. is that true? said them tigers goin bring hom that ovc trophy every year fore many years in a long time what do I think? i think coach hass is right the future is as brite as one of them trophies for iron ton in this league

Ifen u can play wit DA big boys drop down and best up on den weaker ones oh how far the program drops without Lutz but one thang fur sure cuzzin elmef dunt stop the chezst thumpin huh

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

goUK wrote:If the ovc added two more teams to make it 10 and then split into two divisions, then the teams would still have a bye week which is exactly why the ovc wanted 8 teams. Maybe it would be possible with cross conference matchups, but no one from the lower would want to play up. Can you imagin the small teams playing the big teams in the SOC? 100-0
I think the only way I see 2 divisions is if Jackson gets added (unlikely) and the divisions are like this:
New Division:
Gallia Academy
Ironton
Jackson
Portsmouth
Old Division:
Chesapeake
Dawson-Byrant
Fairland
Rock Hill
South Point

I doubt it would happen because 8 is a perfect number for a division or conference for just about everyone, but it was an idea, and if a 10th team was added like Oak Hill, River Valley, or Symmes Valley in that format, they'd probably go to the "old division" to keep the divisions even numbered and make scheduling easier.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

8 is tge perfect number. The only way it makes sense would be to get 4 more teams to make it two divisions of 6 teams. Getting 4 more teams would be hard to do considering that teams would be leaving conferences that they have been in for years (oak hill, symmes valley). Even river valley seems better off in the TVC. I dont see them coming back. On top of thst, 93 is too dangerous for that many trips. Jackson is too big and in the middle of nowhere, end of story.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

goUK wrote:8 is tge perfect number. The only way it makes sense would be to get 4 more teams to make it two divisions of 6 teams. Getting 4 more teams would be hard to do considering that teams would be leaving conferences that they have been in for years (oak hill, symmes valley). Even river valley seems better off in the TVC. I dont see them coming back. On top of thst, 93 is too dangerous for that many trips. Jackson is too big and in the middle of nowhere, end of story.
Yeah, Jackson's best bet is either join the SCOL or to try to preserve or recreate the SEOAL at this point, otherwise, they accept being independent and they don't seemed too thrilled about the possibility of being independent.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Athens or marietta is the key to this whole scenario. Just one of them and everybody else will follow, maybe even gallia academy. I really dont understand why anyone wanted to break up the traditional 6 of the seoal.

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

goUK wrote:Athens or marietta is the key to this whole scenario. Just one of them and everybody else will follow, maybe even gallia academy. I really dont understand why anyone wanted to break up the traditional 6 of the seoal.
If Athens doesn't join, Point Pleasant may make a 5th team to try to convince Gallia to come back. It's rig across the river from Gallia and is around the same size as Jackson. Ripley is worth a look too if Gallia doesn't comeback. Ripley is similar in size to Logan even though it expands out a bit, but it's located near Route 2 in WV (which runs through Point Pleasant and next to Gallipolis and leads to US-35 for Jackson), US Route 33 (which runs through Athens and Logan), and Interstate 77 (Which runs by Parkersburg, WV and Marrieta) and Logan would have the longest trip at an hour, 20 minutes; an hour to Jackson and Marrieta.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Rivalries are great. Who is going to develop rivalries when the score is 50-0.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

I really get a kick out of listening to people on here talk about how tough football is in SE Ohio. Get real you don't have a conference in SEO that is tough. When you put a conference together where you don't know who is going to win on friday night then you got something (MAC). When you play for one conference title not division titles you have to play harder. Can SEO put a really good conference together? Yes but it won't happen. If I was to put a conference together down there it would have Portsmouth & West, Ironton, Wheelersburg, Valley, Jackson, Coal Grove, Minford and if you feel Jackson is too big then add Fairland or Oak Hill. You will still have two OOCG. The two out of conference games have to be against good teams to keep you sharp. Look at who the MAC plays OOC. This is just my two cents worth.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that would be awesome knightrunner. but we are so spread out here with so many school districts and so many rural areas, there is not a big influx of stars at anyone school anymore. but myself, I'm dang proud of the local schools down here and what they accomplish year in and year out.it is a unique situation in southern ohio with all kinds of smaller school districts now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

so is the schedule full now, or do we still have an open week.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

of the teams in the ovc, and we'll have the gahs blue devils next year back. who do you think of the teams will be the one to jump out and make a statement of the teams that have been really struggling in the ovc.
right now I'd have to think the 3 favorites at this point are ironton, Portsmouth, and coal grove. in no specific order.

Return to “Football”